• 63.3% free throws (wtf?)
  • 7 triple doubles

Through 17 games:
  • 15.4 points
  • 9.9 assists
  • 9.5 rebounds
  • 2.4 steals
  • 2.3 blocks
No longer averaging a triple-double, but still really good numbers. Tipp plays at Mason on Saturday, so that will probably tell us a lot more about how good Tipp really is this season.

Tipp fell to Mason 72-57.

Knostman with 12 points, 7 rebounds, and only 3 assists (9 turnovers out of 22 turnovers for Tipp altogether).

Definitely appears Tipp is good but not great at this point. The game with Mason they just had no offensive flow at all, and once Mason started knocking down threes, Tipp was in too big of a hole to dig out of. Defense was actually pretty solid early (Tipp led 11-10 after the first quarter), but they couldn't capitalize offensively at all to take advantage of their stops. Once Mason hit a 3 near the end of the 2nd quarter, then right before half knocked down a halfcourt shot, it went from a close game to a tough situation fast.

I have my doubts Tipp even makes it to districts, given their draw will match them up with Dunbar in the sectional final.... and Dunbar just beat Trotwood 81-68 over the weekend. We shall see

Knostman with 12 points, 7 rebounds, and only 3 assists (9 turnovers out of 22 turnovers for Tipp altogether).

Definitely appears Tipp is good but not great at this point. The game with Mason they just had no offensive flow at all, and once Mason started knocking down threes, Tipp was in too big of a hole to dig out of. Defense was actually pretty solid early (Tipp led 11-10 after the first quarter), but they couldn't capitalize offensively at all to take advantage of their stops. Once Mason hit a 3 near the end of the 2nd quarter, then right before half knocked down a halfcourt shot, it went from a close game to a tough situation fast.

I have my doubts Tipp even makes it to districts, given their draw will match them up with Dunbar in the sectional final.... and Dunbar just beat Trotwood 81-68 over the weekend. We shall see

When your off day is 12-7-3 you know your a great player.

Mason is the biggest school in the state and is 15-5 in the big school conference in Cincinnati. I wouldn’t put to much into Tipp losing by 15 to them.

Mason is the biggest school in the state and is 15-5 in the big school conference in Cincinnati. I wouldn’t put to much into Tipp losing by 15 to them.

I'm not saying Tipp is bad, just that they're not "#3 team in the state in D2" level of good. Mason is in the GMC, but let's not act like the GMC is on the level of the GCL South or even teams like Centerville and Wayne (who beat Fairfield, top team in the GMC by 31) in the GWOC.

If Tipp was truly one of the top teams in the state in D2, they would've competed a bit better with Mason, who is a good but not great D1 team this season. Just saying that result doesn't make me very bullish on Tipp's chances to make a run in the tourney.

Maybe they'll prove that game was just an uncharacteristically bad performance, but when they only have one game that can be used as a measuring stick since the MVL is not great competition, it's hard to see that game in context and just say "oh, Mason is D1, it's no big deal Tipp wasn't even competitive".

We'll find out soon enough! That possible sectional final matchup with Dunbar will tell us a lot

Tipp defeats Carroll 51-42, advancing to their first District Final since 2008 when they lost to CJ, I believe.

Last time they won a district title was 2007.

I

It should be a great game. I think IH is very good.

They are a good D2 basketball team, but they are not at the level of the elite D2 teams we have seen over the years. Certainly not as good at the CJ team Tipp lost to in the district in 2008.

How good is Indian hill?

Looking around the rest of the region, it seems like there aren't any "great" teams (Like on the level of SVSM or LIma Shawnee in D2 this season). I'd say on any given day, Tipp could potentially beat any team in their region, but at the same time they could lose to any of them too if they come out and play like they did in the first quarter and change against Carroll.

Indian Hill has a 6'10" kid that could be an interesting matchup for Tipp, but looking at how they've done this season and skimming through the video of a few of their games, I'd say this Saturday should be a really good game.

Gonna be interesting!

Looking around the rest of the region, it seems like there aren't any "great" teams (Like on the level of SVSM or LIma Shawnee in D2 this season). I'd say on any given day, Tipp could potentially beat any team in their region, but at the same time they could lose to any of them too if they come out and play like they did in the first quarter and change against Carroll.

Indian Hill has a 6'10" kid that could be an interesting matchup for Tipp, but looking at how they've done this season and skimming through the video of a few of their games, I'd say this Saturday should be a really good game.

Gonna be interesting!

Agreed no dominant D2 team. Makes for a better tourney that way. I believe winner of McNick/Trotwood end up going to state. I'll give the edge to Trotwood. Although I have no idea about the D2 teams that could be coming down from Columbus.

They are a good D2 basketball team, but they are not at the level of the elite D2 teams we have seen over the years. Certainly not as good at the CJ team Tipp lost to in the district in 2008.
To be fair, the Tipp team in 2008 wasn't a great Tipp team either. Tipp was only 15-8 that year, and only had to beat a couple of mediocre CBC teams to make it to district. CJ probably could have beat Tipp by more than the 20 points they won by in that game.

Through 15 games for Knostman:
  • 15.5 points
  • 10.3 rebounds
  • 10.0 assists
  • 2.5 steals
  • 2.5 blocks
  • 56.1% shooting
  • 38.5% 3 pointers
  • 63.3% free throws (wtf?)
  • 7 triple doubles
Hard to believe the 10 assists per game. You mean that if he had just an average game one night, maybe six assists, he turned around and had 14 the very next game? Really? And, to be an even 10.0 per game. I’m sure that he is a very good passer, but the math just seems a little hard to believe.

Last edited:
Hard to believe the 10 assists per game. You mean that if he had just an average game one night, maybe six assists, he turned around and had 14 the very next game? Really? And, to be an even 10.0 per game. I’m sure that he is a very good passer, but the math just seems a little hard to believe.

If you watch their games and the style they play with, it very much happens. Tipp gets a lot of open layups in transition because Knostman keeps his head up and fires a lot of halfcourt/fulllcourt passes to teammates cutting to the hoop, even after a made basket on the other end. Unfortunately against better teams, that can also turn into a decent number of turnovers if they can get in the passing lanes. He also just simply does a great job of finding the open man, whether that be in transition, on a drive and dish, or in the flow of their offense.

If you're curious and want to see his game log, here's a link: http://mvlathletics.com/bkPlayerStats.aspx?player=587552

If you watch their games and the style they play with, it very much happens. Tipp gets a lot of open layups in transition because Knostman keeps his head up and fires a lot of halfcourt/fulllcourt passes to teammates cutting to the hoop, even after a made basket on the other end. Unfortunately against better teams, that can also turn into a decent number of turnovers if they can get in the passing lanes. He also just simply does a great job of finding the open man, whether that be in transition, on a drive and dish, or in the flow of their offense.

If you're curious and want to see his game log, here's a link: http://mvlathletics.com/bkPlayerStats.aspx?player=587552
I’m sure he is a very good player. I haven’t seen him this year due to the virus, but I did see him three or four times last year. He is very unselfish. More than any thing this is about math. Someone said he had only three assists against Mason. I’m merely pointing out that he needed 17 assists the next game to continue averaging ten assists per game. That’s not likely.

I’m sure he is a very good player. I haven’t seen him this year due to the virus, but I did see him three or four times last year. He is very unselfish. More than any thing this is about math. Someone said he had only three assists against Mason. I’m merely pointing out that he needed 17 assists the next game to continue averaging ten assists per game. That’s not likely.
Sure, if you were only averaging those two games.

Sure, if you were only averaging those two games.
Here’s the math. Let’s say a player has 100 assists in ten games. In the 11th game he only has three assists. He then needs 17 assists in the next game to remain at ten assists per game. It’s simple math. Again, I am not arguing that he’s not a really good player, he is damn good.

Here’s the math. Let’s say a player has 100 assists in ten games. In the 11th game he only has three assists. He then needs 17 assists in the next game to remain at ten assists per game. It’s simple math. Again, I am not arguing that he’s not a really good player, he is damn good.
I guess if you want to get back to 10 exactly with the very next game, ok. You could have more than 10 in each of the remaining games and get back to 10 still. He has had 3 or 4 games since then. He is at 9.5 per game per the league website.

I would love to have been in a position where people needed to debate just what I needed to do the next few games to realistically average a triple double.

I remember in 2002 when Matt Witt was trying to average over 35 points and 10 assists per game. That was something to watch, but this is one step above that IMO.

Actually not sure Matt was trying to average that as much as fans were wanting him to average that.

Tipp defeats Indian Hill 50-47 despite leaving a potential 12 points on the floor by missing 9 free throws (3 front end of 1 and 1s) in the 4th quarter.

Knostman's line against Indian Hill: 10 points (4-9 shooting, 0-2 from 3, 9 rebounds, 3 assists (season low). It appears like he'll be walking into a good situation at Winthrop next year considering they're 23-1 and heading to the NCAA Tournament this season.

As for the Tipp-CJ matchup tonight, seems like once again it should be a very competitive game. These two teams met last year in the postseason and went to OT (CJ won 56-51 in that one).

Streaming options for tonight (that I've found so far):
NMSports (should be free, I think)
TKDS ($10)

Not sure if chatterbox is going to stream this game tonight, but if they do I'd say they're the best quality broadcast, and also free

-update- Chatterbox will be streaming, so if you're going to watch, I recommend using their's

Last edited:
Agreed no dominant D2 team. Makes for a better tourney that way. I believe winner of McNick/Trotwood end up going to state. I'll give the edge to Trotwood. Although I have no idea about the D2 teams that could be coming down from Columbus.
This is the year for a Tipp or a CJ to make that run. The city schools(Dunbar and Thurgood) and Trotwood just did not have it this year. The late starts, no preseason, only playing 10 -14 games. You could clearly see, especially with that Trotwood team they had no chemistry, did not look like a Rockhold team of the past. Still had talent and some good wins but just didn't play well together. I say that to say, I think teams like Tipp and CJ are good DIV 2 teams and have been for years but this regional has been owned by Trotwood, Alter and Dunbar. All of those teams are young and will spend some time rebuilding after Covid-19. There might be a two year gap where teams like Tipp can make a run. Now the talent in the Trotwood and Dunbar program is scary good so I except them to be back but Tipp can use this experience to season their guys. I watched them the other day and they play well together, are well coached and the K kid is a swiss army knife. This is a year that their strength of schedule won't hurt them to get to the state. Not a Tippy fan. But I think they have a shot to win it all. Good luck.

CJ certainly rivals Alter over the last 20 years. Alter: 8 District Championships and one Final Four. CJ: 7 District Championships and two Final Fours. Neither belong in the conversation with Dunbar and Trotwood, but both pretty solid.

CJ certainly rivals Alter over the last 20 years. Alter: 8 District Championships and one Final Four. CJ: 7 District Championships and two Final Fours. Neither belong in the conversation with Dunbar and Trotwood, but both pretty solid.
What I remember most about CJ in the last 20 years was a play in 2014 where they were up by 4 with just a few seconds to play. Middletown Fenwick had the ball and called timeout to set up a triple screen play on the wing. The CJ defenders faught so hard to get through the screen they ran into the shooter who hit the three, and he knocked down both free throws giving him a five point play and the win. That kind of stuff takes alot of respect out of the program.

Another reason Alter stands out is their down years are no where near the lows CJ has had, or is that just my recollection?

Not knocking CJ at all. I was roughly speaking the last 5-10 years though. Solid program and has been for a long time. But I really think Tipp has a shot. Not calling anything but it may be their year.

Tipp falls to CJ 58-55 after leading by as many as 20.

Felt like a typical tournament game where you get a lead, then play not to lose, and... end up losing because you stopped playing any sort of offense.