Akron City Series 2021

Maybe my perception is wrong, but it seems like the Akron School District really doesn't care much about athletic success. I know that East, North, and Firestone don't even have home football stadiums to host games. Having to play every game on the road definitely makes it harder to draw fans to games at one of the few revenue sports, and puts those teams at a huge disadvantage. I can only imagine what the situation is for the non-revenue sports.
And Akron East and Akron North could have stadiums. North definitely has the room and East needs just 10 more yards( which they have) plus the have an excellent hill to construct bleachers! Akron Firestone could share Akron Buchtel stadium if they would lower themselves to go south of Delia Ave about 2 miles from their school right down Hawkins Rd....

It's a lot that goes into having a down year like this one. It starts with 9 out of the best 10 players parents in the city begging for a chance just to ride the bench on Maple street each year ( take the two most talented kids off of any basketball team, what you got left. That's pretty much what STV does to APS schools each year, Livingston being a glaring exception). Throw in a brief cancellation of sports by APS at the beginning of this year, one of the most stringent testing programs in the state and overall fear among community about the plague.

Keep in mind the kids want to play for stvm so they apply for admission. Chris Livingston and his brother did too, their sister is a recent graduate, but Coach Joyce wouldn’t guarantee playing time. He won’t for any player. So the Mom or Granddad sent them to Buchtel although they don’t go to school there. Evidently they weren’t happy Freshman year because they left last year. All this from yappi posters on previous threads. Just the facts.

And Akron East and Akron North could have stadiums. North definitely has the room and East needs just 10 more yards( which they have) plus the have an excellent hill to construct bleachers! Akron Firestone could share Akron Buchtel stadium if they would lower themselves to go south of Delia Ave about 2 miles from their school right down Hawkins Rd....

Let’s be realistic about this. Stadiums cost money which aps does not have. Could you own a piece of property but have no $$$$ left to build on it? Same thing.

Let’s be realistic about this. Stadiums cost money which aps does not have. Could you own a piece of property but have no $$$$ left to build on it? Same thing.
Probably enough corporate sponsors...let's see Cleveland Browns put turf at Akron Ellet. But hey kids at Akron North, East, Garfield and Firestone don't deserve even their own football field. Yep that makes sense. Keep renting Indocision and paying double bus transportation costs and double time for drivers to drive to 1 stadium...

It's a lot that goes into having a down year like this one. It starts with 9 out of the best 10 players parents in the city begging for a chance just to ride the bench on Maple street each year ( take the two most talented kids off of any basketball team, what you got left. That's pretty much what STV does to APS schools each year, Livingston being a glaring exception). Throw in a brief cancellation of sports by APS at the beginning of this year, one of the most stringent testing programs in the state and overall fear among community about the plague.
St. V’s best players for several years(going on 3 cycles) have not been APS kids and I would say the majority of the kids that play for them bench or not are not APS kids anymore.

St. V’s best players for several years(going on 3 cycles) have not been APS kids and I would say the majority of the kids that play for them bench or not are not APS kids anymore.
I never said they were ST V's best players or actually got playing time, I said what I meant, "begging for a chance just to ride the bench " (STV basketball similar to Hoban football has tentacles that reach much further than little old Akron or Summit county for that matter). Many of the APS kids eventually transfer (which funny enough has had an adverse effect ST V's football team).

Probably enough corporate sponsors...let's see Cleveland Browns put turf at Akron Ellet. But hey kids at Akron North, East, Garfield and Firestone don't deserve even their own football field. Yep that makes sense. Keep renting Indocision and paying double bus transportation costs and double time for drivers to drive to 1 stadium...

How many corporations from Cuyahoga County will lay out the big bucks for Akron schools? Akron/Summit County doesn’t have big money to shell out. Maybe Goodyear, but they haven’t been inclined.

APS no longer uses Infocision.

Lastly, getting a stadium built is one thing. It takes money for upkeep. APS doesn’t have it. It’s that simple.

How many corporations from Cuyahoga County will lay out the big bucks for Akron schools? Akron/Summit County doesn’t have big money to shell out. Maybe Goodyear, but they haven’t been inclined.

APS no longer uses Infocision.

Lastly, getting a stadium built is one thing. It takes money for upkeep. APS doesn’t have it. It’s that simple.
If they don't play at Infocision anymore, then where do North, East, and Firestone play their games?

How good is Buchtel? I'm asking because I haven't seen them play this year and I just don't know. I realize they have the best player in the State (country!!!), but what about the supporting cast? I know Livingston can don his Superman cape and they can beat anyone. But if he is not "other-worldly", is the supporting cast good enough to take down the Irish? Shawnee?

I never said they were ST V's best players or actually got playing time, I said what I meant, "begging for a chance just to ride the bench " (STV basketball similar to Hoban football has tentacles that reach much further than little old Akron or Summit county for that matter). Many of the APS kids eventually transfer (which funny enough has had an adverse effect ST V's football team).

I will bow to your expertise on this subject. :)

How good is Buchtel? I'm asking because I haven't seen them play this year and I just don't know. I realize they have the best player in the State (country!!!), but what about the supporting cast? I know Livingston can don his Superman cape and they can beat anyone. But if he is not "other-worldly", is the supporting cast good enough to take down the Irish? Shawnee?
They are good, they certainly have several other good players(obviously not Livingston) and will be dangerous for whomever they play IMO.

I will bow to your expertise on this subject. :)
LOL, I don't know about expertise, but I do know Starstoshine was on this board not too long ago complaining about the D1 scholarship level football kids that were leaving and going back to APS schools because they couldn't get any playing time on the basketball court.

The only problem with Akron sports is complacency. Cry me a river about private schools kids want to win thats all thats it. Not to many kids are going to privates because they want to have a dress code, get pushed academically, prepare for college etc. Most athletes in the city go there because they want to win and go to college for free. East/Buchtel football and Buchtel/Ellet basketball are the only programs in the city with that standard. I'm a Buchtel guy to the death of me but the standards are hilariously low now a days. The private schools built themselves up because the city coaches got complacent. In my lifetime based on the facts I can not fault the privates for doing what privates do.

The administration has always needed work but thats what you get with a inner city school district. Akron is no worst shape then cincy, dayton, clev, etc just got to strap your boots up and level up.

Will never go back to the old neighborhood school days of Firestone park Garfield, North Hill North, Goodyear Heights East, Kenmore, wealthy west side Firestone..yes Ellet and Buchtel still remain but students now can attend anywhere. Use to be trade school students went to Hower or Garfield..that was about only transfers you saw then. Old doubleheader football at Rubber bowl and 8-10,000 fans even higher at Turkey day games...

Just looking at Buchtel's schedule this year and of the 4 teams they lost to, 3 of them are still alive in the D1 tournament, the 4th (Shaker Heights) loss to Cleveland Heights one of the other teams Buchtel loss to. Those 4 losses were by a combined 10 points.

Last edited:
Just looking at Buchtel's schedule this year and of the 4 teams they lost to, 3 of them are still alive in the D1 tournament, the 4th (Shaker Heights) loss to Cleveland Heights one of the other teams Buchtel loss to. Those 4 losses were by a combined 10 points.
How many of the teams that they beat are still in the tournament, though?

The Griffs are looking at a great regional final matchup with Lima Shawnee. You know, only OHSAA could have two schools that are less than 5 miles apart in different regions!

The Griffs are looking at a great regional final matchup with Lima Shawnee. You know, only OHSAA could have two schools that are less than 5 miles apart in different regions!
According to Mapquest the distance between the two schools is 2.0 miles.