Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

Haven't posted here for quite a while, but I came across this on my Twitter feed this morning. There's been many great quizzes and conversations over the years in this thread (and even back on the Puddle ;)) about popular music in the 60's and 70's especially. This list contains songs that many of us here can easily sing along to, and recall with varying degrees of affection.

It's been 50 years since My Sweet Lord? Yikes! That nap was longer than I imagined.

BTW, Harrison looked like Rip Van Winkle back then.

In other news...

Columbus Crew win the MLS Cup for the second time. (2008 was the first championship). Not a big soccer fan, but kudos to the Crew!

Last edited:
2020 has been a tough one, but things will eventually improve. I hope all is well with you guys (and Diva) and your families.

Happy 2021.jpg

I liked "Patch. It Up" by Elvis back the day. I've never heard of the 5-10-15 etc. song.

Wishing you all a very prosperous 2021 full of health, happiness, and faith.

Wishing you all a very prosperous 2021 full of health, happiness, and faith.
Thank you, Ms. Diva, and a round of the same to everyone else on here.

I see we lost another one of the "Boys Of Summer" yesterday - Tommy Lasorda, 93, member of the Brooklyn Dodgers' 1955 championship team and Hall of Fame manager for the LA Dodgers. Many years ago I read an interesting anecdote, where as a high schooler Lasorda had been refused an autograph from a major league player after a game. A few years later Lasorda made it the minors as a pitcher and ended up facing that same player (who had been demoted) and exacted some revenge: he immediately threw fastballs at the guy’s chin and finally drilled him with pitch. After the game, the player came up to him and said, "What did I ever do to you, kid?"

I read where Willie Mays is now the oldest living member of the MLB HOF at age 89. Interestingly, Mays came very close to being a Dodger. Leo Durocher said he pushed hard for Dodger scouts to sign him, but the scouts claimed Mays couldn't hit a curve ball .......

Last edited:
I was never as big a baseball fan as I was (and am) about basketball and football, but I always thought Tommy Lasorda was a good manager, a fun guy, and a wonderful ambassador for Major League Baseball and the sport in general. But apparently he could be a real hot-head, too, in the same manner of a Billy Martin, as I've seen more than a few clips on Twitter since his passing with him tangling with the opponents' mascot, on the field. But this clip takes the cake. Warning, NSFW language, which may offend some (and which may get me a time out here :cautious:). But here goes :ROFLMAO::

Phil Spector was definitely weird, as well as being a criminal, but he brought us some great sounds: the "Wall of Sound", the "Girl Groups" of the early 1960s and even some Righteous Brothers songs:

Phil Spector was definitely weird, as well as being a criminal, but he brought us some great sounds: the "Wall of Sound", the "Girl Groups" of the early 1960s and even some Righteous Brothers songs:
Very sad, both his death and the circumstances that put him in prison. In his book, Hal Blaine alluded to Spector's mental decline back in the late 1970's, partly because he refused to adapt as the times, technologies, and tastes changed. But he definitely cemented his legend for his role during that golden era.
Musical ruminations and "associations" - Mrs. Z and I were listening to The Association's "Everything That Touches You" this past weekend, and we both commented that the lyrics weren't easy to pick up because the verses were much more complex than just "Baby, baby, baby". Started reading some of their history and how one of their studio musicians came from a band I wasn't familiar with called The Music Machine.

So I looked the Music Machine up (their sound reminded me of the Count Five), and one of their hits was called "Talk Talk". Wait a sec, that sounded familiar. I played it, and said, "Hey, that's a cover of Alice Cooper trying to do New Wave - and THEN I started reading about Alice and his high school cross-country team ........ :cool:

Beatles, meet Michael Jackson.

Rockin' that Rick Astley pompadour.

Last edited:
Oh goodness.

The organ that is visually non-existent in the first video is very much like a Steppenwolf sound.

Alice's voice is distinct no matter what style he attempts.

Thanks for the videos, Zunardo.

We just returned from Panama City Beach, FL, to a snowy Ohio.

Johnstown Benny & One Who Knows.

Some bad news. I saw John McElroy's obit in the paper this morning. I posted it here because he was the answer to one of JBs trivia questions many years ago. I knew the answer because I happened to attend the game in question when he scored 72 points against Wayne State for the Penguins way back in 1969. It was 52 years ago yesterday. Damn! RIP #12.

As a Youngstown area resident, I too read his obit. Didn't see his 72-point game, but can remember my dad taking me to a few YSU games in the mid-60's at South High Fieldhouse when YSU was a small college basketball powerhouse under coach Dom Rosselli.

McElroy's obit:

The best part of seeing that game was that two months prior I saw him score 52 against Illinois Wesleyan to break Tony Knott's single game scoring record. That game was played at Struthers' fieldhouse because I think the Youngstown City Schools were on strike. Anyway, the Wayne St. game was back at their home, South's fieldhouse, and at halftime of the game they gave Mr. McElroy an award for breaking the single game mark in that earlier game. I distinctly remember jokingly saying to my father that maybe they should wait because he had 34 or 35 in the 1st half.

The other amazing thing about the game was that the Guins had lost to Wayne St. earlier in Detroit by about 17. The beat them by 55 in this game, a 72-point swing! I guess it was just meant to be a 72 point night. :)

The best part of seeing that game was that two months prior I saw him score 52 against Illinois Wesleyan to break Tony Knott's single game scoring record. That game was played at Struthers' fieldhouse because I think the Youngstown City Schools were on strike. Anyway, the Wayne St. game was back at their home, South's fieldhouse, and at halftime of the game they gave Mr. McElroy an award for breaking the single game mark in that earlier game. I distinctly remember jokingly saying to my father that maybe they should wait because he had 34 or 35 in the 1st half.

The other amazing thing about the game was that the Guins had lost to Wayne St. earlier in Detroit by about 17. The beat them by 55 in this game, a 72-point swing! I guess it was just meant to be a 72 point night. :)

YTOWN - Sad news indeed, but thanks so much for posting. Also, appreciate the comments from coldshoulder. I remember John McElroy very well; played against him in college. Johnny Mac was a sweet-shooting lefty who could "fill it up". It's interesting that McElroy scored his 72 points a few games before we (Akron) played YSU. Fortunately for us, he didn't have one of his phenonemal games.

Those were the days before the Beeghly Center and we played at South Fieldhouse. I remember the game well because the YSU center Willie Teague gave me a couple of "souvenirs" (scars to the mouth) that I carry to this day. Besides Johnny Mac and Willie Teague, a young Billy Johnson was on that team. Back then, Akron and Youngstown (later YSU) was always a pretty good game. I followed the series for years even before I was a Zip. I can go back as far as watching Herb Lake (Midland, PA) play for the Penguins. Also, Dom Rosselli was always such a gentleman and what a great coach (both hoops and baseball).

Yep, the Youngtown area lost one of its legends with the death of John McElroy, but his memory will live on for anyone who ever saw him play. Wishing his famlly and friends my condolenses and, once again, thanks for posting this sad news.

R.I.P. John McElroy!

YTOWN - Sad news indeed, but thanks so much for posting. Also, appreciate the comments from coldshoulder. I remember John McElroy very well; played against him in college. Johnny Mac was a sweet-shooting lefty who could "fill it up". It's interesting that McElroy scored his 72 points a few games before we (Akron) played YSU. Fortunately for us, he didn't have one of his phenonemal games.

Those were the days before the Beeghly Center and we played at South Fieldhouse. I remember the game well because the YSU center Willie Teague gave me a couple of "souvenirs" (scars to the mouth) that I carry to this day. Besides Johnny Mac and Willie Teague, a young Billy Johnson was on that team. Back then, Akron and Youngstown (later YSU) was always a pretty good game. I followed the series for years even before I was a Zip. I can go back as far as watching Herb Lake (Midland, PA) play for the Penguins. Also, Dom Rosselli was always such a gentleman and what a great coach (both hoops and baseball).

Yep, the Youngtown area lost one of its legends with the death of John McElroy, but his memory will live on for anyone who ever saw him play. Wishing his famlly and friends my condolenses and, once again, thanks for posting this sad news.

R.I.P. John McElroy!

I always enjoyed the rivalry games with the Zips. They were usually good games. As I remember it Billy Johnson played more with the JVs that particular season. They still played JV games before the varsity games then. Billy Eckert had the role that Mr. Johnson would so ably take over. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Eckert had over 20 assists in Mr. McElroy's 72-point game against Wayne St. Rich Denamen and Chris Ellis played on that team. I think future coach Bob Patton as well but I know he also played some JV ball.

In thinking about it I just remembered that the games that were played at Struthers were not due to a teacher's strike, of which there have been several over the years. However this particular year it was due to levy failures. 1968-69 was my junior year of HS and the public school system closed down between Thanksgiving & New Year because levies had failed like 6 or 7 times in less than two years. At least that was cited as the reason.

Anthony Flask was the mayor of Youngstown at the time and he was pissed about the closing, even more so because it had been reported that as far as anybody knew this was the first school system of this size anywhere in the country to be closed in the middle of a school year. Then to make it worse, do you remember Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In? Well the voters of Youngstown were awarded the infamous "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate Award" by Rowan and Martin. That may have been the impetus to finally pass a levy they following May. Public school kids had to make up the missed days in June. Only in YTOWN! :)

OWK,

Your mention of Herb Lake made me think of this. As you mentioned Mr. Lake was from Midland, Pa. In 1965 Simmie Hill & Norm Van Lier led Midland to the Pa. AAA state championship. Now, I don't know if this is actually true but there was a rumor at the time that Mr. Lake had convinced the duo to attend YSU , or at least take a look, but that coach Rosselli thought Hill was iffy off the court and nixed the idea. Again, I have no idea if this is true or not but I do remember hearing it. Mr. Van Lier ended up at St. Francis Pa and Hill went to about 3 different colleges starting with Wichita St. In 69 they were both drafted by the Bulls. Simmie Hill was a much bigger star coming out of HS but Stormin Norman had the much better college and NBA career.

I believe that 1965 was also John McElroy's senior year at Youngstown North. If the above were true it could have been Stormin Norman and Johnny Mac at guard for the Guins. :)

Last edited:
I always enjoyed the rivalry games with the Zips. They were usually good games. As I remember it Billy Johnson played more with the JVs that particular season. They still played JV games before the varsity games then. Billy Eckert had the role that Mr. Johnson would so ably take over. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Eckert had over 20 assists in Mr. McElroy's 72-point game against Wayne St. Rich Denamen and Chris Ellis played on that team. I think future coach Bob Patton as well but I know he also played some JV ball.

In thinking about it I just remembered that the games that were played at Struthers were not due to a teacher's strike, of which there have been several over the years. However this particular year it was due to levy failures. 1968-69 was my junior year of HS and the public school system closed down between Thanksgiving & New Year because levies had failed like 6 or 7 times in less than two years. At least that was cited as the reason.

Anthony Flask was the mayor of Youngstown at the time and he was pissed about the closing, even more so because it had been reported that as far as anybody knew this was the first school system of this size anywhere in the country to be closed in the middle of a school year. Then to make it worse, do you remember Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In? Well the voters of Youngstown were awarded the infamous "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate Award" by Rowan and Martin. That may have been the impetus to finally pass a levy they following May. Public school kids had to make up the missed days in June. Only in YTOWN! :)

Thanks YTOWN! Your post certainly brought back some names from the past. Shame on me for forgetting to mention Billy Eckert. Didn't he play at Boardman? Also, you mentioned some other very familiar names with Bob Patton and Rich Denamen. Can't say that I remember Chris Ellis, but your recall of those day in Youngstown are amazing! I remember many of your comments from years ago and your knowledge of some of the athletes (both football and basketball), especially from Woodrow Wilson.

Also, I love your mention of the "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate Award". That's a phrase that only the old-timers will remember. :)

Thanks again and stay positive, but test negative!

Thanks YTOWN! Your post certainly brought back some names from the past. Shame on me for forgetting to mention Billy Eckert. Didn't he play at Boardman? Also, you mentioned some other very familiar names with Bob Patton and Rich Denamen. Can't say that I remember Chris Ellis, but your recall of those day in Youngstown are amazing! I remember many of your comments from years ago and your knowledge of some of the athletes (both football and basketball), especially from Woodrow Wilson.

Also, I love your mention of the "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate Award". That's a phrase that only the old-timers will remember. :)

Rich Denamen, Hubbard's center on a good team. (starters Dick Walker, Lindsay Randall (RIP), Charles Taylor, John Cornwallis and reserve Rich Czubek -seniors all) Not completely sure spelling. Too lazy to check. Blast from the past...

I key Dick Walker and only Walker shows when I save. LOL

Last edited:
OWK,

Your mention of Herb Lake made me think of this. As you mentioned Mr. Lake was from Midland, Pa. In 1965 Simmie Hill & Norm Van Lier led Midland to the Pa. AAA state championship. Now, I don't know if this is actually true but there was a rumor at the time that Mr. Lake had convinced the duo to attend YSU , or at least take a look, but that coach Rosselli thought Hill was iffy off the court and nixed the idea. Again, I have no idea if this is true or not but I do remember hearing it. Mr. Van Lier ended up at St. Francis Pa and Hill went to about 3 different colleges starting with Wichita St. In 69 they were both drafted by the Bulls. Simmie Hill was a much bigger star coming out of HS but Stormin Norman had the much better college and NBA career.

I believe that 1965 was also John McElroy's senior year at Youngstown North. If the above were true it could have been Stormin Norman and Johnny Mac at guard for the Guins. :)

Wow! "Stormin' Norman" and Johnny Mac in the same backcourt would have been unbelievable. As you know, Simmie Hill was really an outstanding player, but he had some other issues to deal with. A good friend of mine who attended Akron graduated with Simmie and Van Lier from Midland (Lincoln HS). He followed their entire careers and said that they were awesome in the first Dapper Dan Roundball Classic. That was when Sonny Vaccaro first came onto the scene nationally because he organized and promoted the game. I think that Simmie was a first-team high school All-Amercan. Sadly, both Van Lier and Simmie have passed away and now we can add Johnny Mac to that list. I'm glad that there are still a few of us around who can remember those players and bring back some memories from yesteryear.

Yes, McElroy graduated in 1965. He and two other outstanding guards highlighted the All-Northeastern Ohio team: Bill Hann (Cleveland Rhodes, Tennessee) and Phil Argento (Cleveland West, Kentucky). All three of those guys could REALLY play. Here's that 1965 team, without the honorable mentions.

1965.jpg

Billy Eckert did play HS ball at Boardman. As EagleGuy stated Rich Denamen played at Hubbard. Willie Teague was from Youngstown East. Bob Patton & Chris Ellis from Struthers and of course Mr. McElroy from Youngstown North. A lot of local guys at that time. Billy Johnson was from Canton, Lincoln HS I think. It's not like that now.
Wow! "Stormin' Norman" and Johnny Mac in the same backcourt would have been unbelievable. As you know, Simmie Hill was really an outstanding player, but he had some other issues to deal with. A good friend of mine who attended Akron graduated with Simmie and Van Lier from Midland (Lincoln HS). He followed their entire careers and said that they were awesome in the first Dapper Dan Roundball Classic. That was when Sonny Vaccaro first came onto the scene nationally because he organized and promoted the game. I think that Simmie was a first-team high school All-Amercan. Sadly, both Van Lier and Simmie have passed away and now we can add Johnny Mac to that list. I'm glad that there are still a few of us around who can remember those players and bring back some memories from yesteryear.

Yes, McElroy graduated in 1965. He and two other outstanding guards highlighted the All-Northeastern Ohio team: Bill Hann (Cleveland Rhodes, Tennessee) and Phil Argento (Cleveland West, Kentucky). All three of those guys could REALLY play. Here's that 1965 team, without the honorable mentions.

View attachment 15018

If I'm not mistaken Bill Jacobson came down with TB in his senior year at Fitch. I think he still got a scholarship to Ohio St.

Billy Eckert did play HS ball at Boardman. As EagleGuy stated Rich Denamen played at Hubbard. Willie Teague was from Youngstown East. Bob Patton & Chris Ellis from Struthers and of course Mr. McElroy from Youngstown North. A lot of local guys at that time. Billy Johnson was from Canton, Lincoln HS I think. It's not like that now.

If I'm not mistaken Bill Jacobson came down with TB in his senior year at Fitch. I think he still got a scholarship to Ohio St.

Great info and thanks! Yes, Billy Johnson played on Canton Lincoln's 1967 state tournament team that included Danny Todd (BGSU) and "Wild Bill" Fowler (Ashland).

Great info and thanks! Yes, Billy Johnson played on Canton Lincoln's 1967 state tournament team that included Danny Todd (BGSU) and "Wild Bill" Fowler (Ashland).

I can't say that I ever saw "Wild Bill" Fowler play for Ashland but I did see Bill "The Thrill" Higgins play for the Eagles against YSU. Mr. Higgins also passed away recently. He averaged about 30 PPG for Ashland the year I saw him. I believe he played on that Dayton Dunbar team that lost to Ed Stahl's Columbus Walnut Ridge in the AAA championship game in 71. Those two teams were loaded, all the starters went on to play college ball. Mr. Stahl and 2 of the other Ridge starters went to N. Carolina, Hanners & Hoffman? Greg Olson to Minnesota. I think one went to Clemson, Capeheart maybe? Mr. Stahl is also gone, in a car crash a few years ago.

For Dunbar: Higgins, the Cash Bros. - Cornelius & Lorenzo, Ricky Gates and Skip Howard all played college ball. BGSU, Kent St. Colorado St., etc.

I can't say that I ever saw "Wild Bill" Fowler play for Ashland but I did see Bill "The Thrill" Higgins play for the Eagles against YSU. Mr. Higgins also passed away recently. He averaged about 30 PPG for Ashland the year I saw him. I believe he played on that Dayton Dunbar team that lost to Ed Stahl's Columbus Walnut Ridge in the AAA championship game in 71. Those two teams were loaded, all the starters went on to play college ball. Mr. Stahl and 2 of the other Ridge starters went to N. Carolina, Hanners & Hoffman? Greg Olson to Minnesota. I think one went to Clemson, Capeheart maybe? Mr. Stahl is also gone, in a car crash a few years ago.

For Dunbar: Higgins, the Cash Bros. - Cornelius & Lorenzo, Ricky Gates and Skip Howard all played college ball. BGSU, Kent St. Colorado St., etc.

Great reply, YTOWN! Man, you were all over this info. I knew that "The Thrill" was from Dayton, but didn't realilze that he played on that outstanding Dunbar team. As usual, you are on the money with your info. Yep, Brad Hoffman and Dave Hanners played at North Carolina along with the late Ed Stahl. In fact, Hanners later was an assistant coach at UNC. Your mention of Greg Olson was interesting and coincidential. This week, I received a call from an old coaching buddy (Steve Moeller) who was an assistant at Walnut Ridge when they won the title. Steve said that he had just had dinner with Greg Olson and his wife in Naples, FL. I hadn't heard Greg Olson's name for a very long time and up it pops twice in one week. Also, I was unaware that Olson transferred from Minnesota to Miami (OH) where he played for a couple of years.

That Walnut Ridge title team was during the same era that your guys from Boardman were also very good. I remember Al Burns as their coach and two of their top players, Greg Dunn and Jay Powell, who both played collegiately at Davidson. I'm sure you can probably name the entire team. They had a nice run in the early '70s. Thanks for mentioning some names from yesteryear.

I knew ohiopup's "Basketball Jones" song from when I was a teenager in Washington state. It was played on the radio. I never saw a video until today.

I thought Tyrone Shoelaces was a hilarious name.

Everyone ready for a little warmer weather now?

I'm no YTOWN, not even close to his stature (he's in the majors, I'm in rookie league...:giggle:), but I'm gonna take up OWK's challenge, from my rapidly-fading memory.

Boardman's 1970-71 basketball team did indeed feature Greg Dunn and Jay Powell, along with other starters and top subs Rich Harr, Dave Erickson, Mike Reid, Jim Parknavy, Tim Storm, and John Kerlek (a transfer from Struthers). Most of that group had gotten to the Ohio final four the year before, 1969-70, but lost in the 'big-school' semifinal when Ohio was still just Class A and Class AA.

In the 1970-71 season, Ohio went to three classes, and Boardman stayed in the big-school group, which became Class AAA. They lost the regional final by one point against Akron Central-Hower, who in turn got beat by eventual state champs Columbus Walnut Ridge, the afore-mentioned talented group that had all five starters play Division I college hoops.

(Full disclosure: Info cited above was aided by my collection of state final four programs beginning in 1970, the first year I went to the state tournament with my father and others. I have 30 years of those programs still in my possession!)

The basketball talent across Ohio during that 1970-71 season may have been unprecedented at the time, and even the Youngstown-Warren area, normally considered a football hotbed, had a surplus of riches, too. Here's some of the top basketball players in the Mahoning Valley from that year, and their college accomplishments. All are '71 graduates unless noted otherwise.

Boardman: Greg Dunn (Davidson), Jay Powell-['72] (Davidson)
Canfield: Mark Moeller (N.C. State--reserve on '74 NCAA championship team)
Champion: Craig Kuszmaul (N.C. State -- also a reserve on the '74 championship team)
Liberty: Bob Fleischer (3-year starter at Duke)
Girard: Phil Gaston (3-yr. starter at YSU, now in their HOF), Bob Krizancic (also YSU, has coached state title teams at Girard and Mentor)
Yo. East: Edgar Jeffries ['72] (Washington State)
Yo. North: Rich Bevly (Ohio U.--football), Tom Hight (YSU--football), Sherman Smith ['72] (Miami of Ohio--football + NFL), Mike Cobb ['73] (Michigan State--football + NFL)
Struthers: One of the Murphy brothers, maybe ?
Campbell: Bob Ziak and Bob Martinko, both great high school players, may have played Division II or III in college ?

I know there's a few more I'm not remembering, but I'm sure YTOWN can add in some additional players, and/or commentary.

Great reply, YTOWN! Man, you were all over this info. I knew that "The Thrill" was from Dayton, but didn't realilze that he played on that outstanding Dunbar team. As usual, you are on the money with your info. Yep, Brad Hoffman and Dave Hanners played at North Carolina along with the late Ed Stahl. In fact, Hanners later was an assistant coach at UNC. Your mention of Greg Olson was interesting and coincidential. This week, I received a call from an old coaching buddy (Steve Moeller) who was an assistant at Walnut Ridge when they won the title. Steve said that he had just had dinner with Greg Olson and his wife in Naples, FL. I hadn't heard Greg Olson's name for a very long time and up it pops twice in one week. Also, I was unaware that Olson transferred from Minnesota to Miami (OH) where he played for a couple of years.

That Walnut Ridge title team was during the same era that your guys from Boardman were also very good. I remember Al Burns as their coach and two of their top players, Greg Dunn and Jay Powell, who both played collegiately at Davidson. I'm sure you can probably name the entire team. They had a nice run in the early '70s. Thanks for mentioning some names from yesteryear.

I was not aware that Mr. Olson transferred either. The only reason that I knew about that Dayton Dunbar team was they played at Youngstown North in the regular season in 71. "The Thrill" scored 30 for Dunbar and Rich Bevly pretty much matched him with 29 or 30 for North but Dunbar had too much for the Bulldogs. North returned the favor the next season beating Dunbar down in Dayton.

I never followed hoops as much as football but I think that most people here expected Boardman to make the final four again in 71 after losing to Rossford in the semis in 1970. That game was televised locally and the thing I remember most was Rossford had a kid named Williams who could jump out of the gym and he would go up spread eagle with his legs and he dominated the boards. I remember the Big O rebounding like that in the NBA. Boardman usually controlled the boards with their height but not in that game. In addition to the big 3 of Dunn, Erickson & Harr, I think George Brownlee & Ron Kreps rounded out the starting 5 in the 69-70 season.

Boardman had 7 or 8 guys coming back from that team and as coldshoulder mentioned John Kerlek from Struthers transferred in. I know Struthers fans were steamed about that because not only was Kerlek a good player but if I remember correctly his father was their hoops HC, or at least he was just prior to that. The Spartans had beaten Akron Central to make the Final Four in 70, that was the year before the merger with Hower. Again as coldshoulder mentioned Central-Hower knocked Boardman out to make it to state where they lost to Walnut Ridge in the semis.

Central-Hower got the Spartans again in 72 and lost to Cincy Princeton in the semis. Then in 73 Mooney knocked Boardman out in the District Finals. The Cards then beat Toledo St. John before losing to, you guessed it, Central-Hower in the Regional final. C-H then lost to Cincy Elder in the final.

I'm no YTOWN, not even close to his stature (he's in the majors, I'm in rookie league...:giggle:), but I'm gonna take up OWK's challenge, from my rapidly-fading memory.

Boardman's 1970-71 basketball team did indeed feature Greg Dunn and Jay Powell, along with other starters and top subs Rich Harr, Dave Erickson, Mike Reid, Jim Parknavy, Tim Storm, and John Kerlek (a transfer from Struthers). Most of that group had gotten to the Ohio final four the year before, 1969-70, but lost in the 'big-school' semifinal when Ohio was still just Class A and Class AA.

In the 1970-71 season, Ohio went to three classes, and Boardman stayed in the big-school group, which became Class AAA. They lost the regional final by one point against Akron Central-Hower, who in turn got beat by eventual state champs Columbus Walnut Ridge, the afore-mentioned talented group that had all five starters play Division I college hoops.

(Full disclosure: Info cited above was aided by my collection of state final four programs beginning in 1970, the first year I went to the state tournament with my father and others. I have 30 years of those programs still in my possession!)

The basketball talent across Ohio during that 1970-71 season may have been unprecedented at the time, and even the Youngstown-Warren area, normally considered a football hotbed, had a surplus of riches, too. Here's some of the top basketball players in the Mahoning Valley from that year, and their college accomplishments. All are '71 graduates unless noted otherwise.

Boardman: Greg Dunn (Davidson), Jay Powell-['72] (Davidson)
Canfield: Mark Moeller (N.C. State--reserve on '74 NCAA championship team)
Champion: Craig Kuszmaul (N.C. State -- also a reserve on the '74 championship team)
Liberty: Bob Fleischer (3-year starter at Duke)
Girard: Phil Gaston (3-yr. starter at YSU, now in their HOF), Bob Krizancic (also YSU, has coached state title teams at Girard and Mentor)
Yo. East: Edgar Jeffries ['72] (Washington State)
Yo. North: Rich Bevly (Ohio U.--football), Tom Hight (YSU--football), Sherman Smith ['72] (Miami of Ohio--football + NFL), Mike Cobb ['73] (Michigan State--football + NFL)
Struthers: One of the Murphy brothers, maybe ?
Campbell: Bob Ziak and Bob Martinko, both great high school players, may have played Division II or III in college ?

I know there's a few more I'm not remembering, but I'm sure YTOWN can add in some additional players, and/or commentary.

I usually remember games I have witnessed or read about. Most of the time when I see or hear a player's name it triggers my memory as to where they played at the next level. When you mention one of the Murphys for Struthers in connection with basketball I immediately think of Calvin who was a 2-time All-SVC 1st teamer. The problem with his name of course is that when I hear it I can only think of one college....Niagara! No it's not that Calvin Murphy so I'm not sure where he played next level. I blank on it. He graduated in 1970 so for 71 you may be thinking of Bruce Murphy. He was great athlete for the Wildcats. He went to Pitt for football and I think he was the starting TB until some guy named Dorsett showed up and he then moved to flanker.

BTW saying Niagara now makes me think Bob Banks from Ursuline. He was All-SVC in 71 and I think he went to Niagara, not positive though. His younger brother Mike went to ND for football. Of course the big name for Ursuline in that era was Tim Joyce but he was only a freshman in 71. He was the 1st player in history to be named 1st team All-SVC for 3 consecutive seasons. He averaged over 30 ppg in his senior season and if they had 3-pointers then it would have been higher as he hit several of those every game. He went to Tennessee out of Ursuline when the Bernie & Ernie show was starting for the Vols. He transferred to Ohio U. and he was drafted by the Cavaliers.

Bennie Allison was another great athlete for the Irish. He graduated in 1970 & went to Ohio St.

Bob Fleisher had an older brother Jim who played for Dartmouth.

Edgar Jeffries is one of the best to come out of the area. I saw him drop 50 against South. In the 72 tourney East upset Warren Harding and Western Reserve to make the District Finals against Boardman. In that game Mr. Jeffries was called for 4 fouls in the 1st quarter! He sat out the entire 2nd quarter and Boardman led by about 20. With Mr. Jeffries back in for the 2nd half the Bears outscored the Spartans by 9 or 10 and lost by 10. Paul Fazekas, another 6'8" player for Boardman was a junior on that team. I think he went to Cincinnati.

I'm blanking on Mr. Ziak's college also and I think Mr. Martinko played for Gannon.

I think you guys would know better than I but it seems to me that we just don't see that kind of next level talent top-to-bottom like Dunbar or Walnut Ridge had on a HS roster now, especially locally. What do you guys think?

Locally the 79 All-City team was probably one of the best mainly due to Greg Jones & Joe James from Rayen and Herb Lake Jr. from Chaney.

Last edited: