Northwest Ohio Realignment

It still baffles me why Swanton wants out of the NWOAL... They just beat us for the girls sectional in basketball, yet they claim they cannot compete anymore. The 3rd biggest school in the league and they want out. LOL. Did y'all see that cute powerpoint presented to the school board? LMFAO!!! Cry me a f'n river. Obviously, winning trophies in their conference carries more weight than winning at the state level in anything. What a bunch of cowards.
if i was a parent at swanton i would be embarrassed. what in the living hell are they teaching over there in swantucky??

In the end they are simply not winning. Can the right coach win there, yes judging by the 3 year playoff run they had. But, in the end the lack of success means less kids will go out for sports. So, if they feel that a different conference with more “appropriate” competition is what is best for the overall athletic department, why should anyone care, or call them losers?!

In the end they are simply not winning. Can the right coach win there, yes judging by the 3 year playoff run they had. But, in the end the lack of success means less kids will go out for sports. So, if they feel that a different conference with more “appropriate” competition is what is best for the overall athletic department, why should anyone care, or call them losers?!
Embarrasing for the community. You are right... they wont win anywhere anyhow anyway with their mentality... Lahoooooozaheeerrrrrrsss

Last edited:
In Swanton’s little presentation they used Wauseon, Archbold and Bryan as the top of the league examples so why would they leave out the two smallest schools in the NWOAL when trying to create a more competitive league?
3 NE Fulton county schools, 2 Henry county schools, 2 Lucas county schools and whoever wants to play from Williams county.

In Swanton’s little presentation they used Wauseon, Archbold and Bryan as the top of the league examples so why would they leave out the two smallest schools in the NWOAL when trying to create a more competitive league?
3 NE Fulton county schools, 2 Henry county schools, 2 Lucas county schools and whoever wants to play from Williams county.

Because it would read something like this (courtesy of joeeitel.com)
Since 2000:
vs Liberty Center 3-18
vs Patrick Henry 3-18

Which CLEARLY doesn't fit the narrative that the bigger schools keep pounding their brains in. Anyone who can read this can clearly see it's a Swanton problem in general. And knowing how they are on the hardwood (heck, even we enjoy wins vs Swanton 3/4 of the time at Ottawa Hills against them), do they really think this new league is going to be any better on them? Wait for Evergreen to get the county line population spike (as if it ain't happening already) and really enjoy beating their brains in. Prediction: this league will blow up because Swanton will be tired of losing in it too when it is all said and done, along with Montpelier realizing they screwed up something good and should have gone independent for football. Northwood will mop Swanton in football, and Ottawa Hills/Evergreen will mop Swanton in all-sports as well, with Delta still clubbing them in wrestling and on occasion basketball.

A4F47566-9952-4C98-AF61-A28A183C9082.jpeg

This answers a few questions. Wauseon & Bryan are scheduled to have to work meetings this week or the next. Looks like PH & LC aren’t leaving..

I'm almost starting to wonder if an NWOAL/GMC merger could be something we see. If the possibility could help the NWOAL hold onto one of Evergreen/Delta (I assume Swanton is already gone) or maybe bring Napoleon back into the conference. They could split into big/small school divisions with 7 teams each. Could allow 6 in conference games, 2 cross conference games, 2 OOC games.

I could envision a split like this:

Large schools: Bryan, Wauseon, Paulding, Wayne Trace, Archbold, Tinora, Napoleon (if they came) or Fairview.

Small schools: Fairview (if Napoleon comes), Hicksville, Patrick Henry, Liberty Center, Antwerp, Edgerton, Ayersville, Evergreen/Delta (if Napoleon didn't come).

This is all spitballing on my part but that seems like a hell of a conference for most everyone in the extreme northwest Ohio region.

I'm almost starting to wonder if an NWOAL/GMC merger could be something we see. If the possibility could help the NWOAL hold onto one of Evergreen/Delta (I assume Swanton is already gone) or maybe bring Napoleon back into the conference. They could split into big/small school divisions with 7 teams each. Could allow 6 in conference games, 2 cross conference games, 2 OOC games.

I could envision a split like this:

Large schools: Bryan, Wauseon, Paulding, Wayne Trace, Archbold, Tinora, Napoleon (if they came) or Fairview.

Small schools: Fairview (if Napoleon comes), Hicksville, Patrick Henry, Liberty Center, Antwerp, Edgerton, Ayersville, Evergreen/Delta (if Napoleon didn't come).

This is all spitballing on my part but that seems like a hell of a conference for most everyone in the extreme northwest Ohio region.
the GMC is fine where it’s at.. if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. i know it’s your league, but be realistic here. why would wauseon, bryan, and napoleon join a league with schools already smaller than damn near the majority of all the NWOAL schools?? especially when those 3 schools are likely to be on the verge to be invited the NLL.. but you wanna throw them in the GMC with schools like paulding and ayersille ???? comical!!

the GMC is fine where it’s at.. if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. i know it’s your league, but be realistic here. why would wauseon, bryan, and napoleon join a league with schools already smaller than damn near the majority of all the NWOAL schools?? especially when those 3 schools are likely to be on the verge to be invited the NLL.. but you wanna throw them in the GMC with schools like paulding and ayersille ???? comical

As I stated, I was just kind of spitballing an idea. It is worth nothing that probably half of GMC schools are actually larger than PH/LC/Evergreen/Delta. Paulding was D5 until this year and Fairview/Tinora/WT are all solidly D6.

I also think it's presumptuous to think Bryan, in particular, but also Wauseon would accept NLL invites. Not to say I think your idea is any less likely than mine but I could see both of them being possibilities.

Also, yes, part of it is probably that the GMC is my league and I'd love to see them add some schools with state titles in their trophy cases. Can you blame a guy for dreaming a little? ??

As I stated, I was just kind of spitballing an idea. It is worth nothing that probably half of GMC schools are actually larger than PH/LC/Evergreen/Delta. Paulding was D5 until this year and Fairview/Tinora/WT are all solidly D6.

I also think it's presumptuous to think Bryan, in particular, but also Wauseon would accept NLL invites. Not to say I think your idea is any less likely than mine but I could see both of them being possibilities.

Also, yes, part of it is probably that the GMC is my league and I'd love to see them add some schools with state titles in their trophy cases. Can you blame a guy for dreaming a little? ??

You want a school with state titles.

We need a place closer to home where we'd be more competitive.

Defiance County League confirmed!

Who am I kidding, we'd just go 1-3 and embarrass ourselves even more.

You want a school with state titles.

We need a place closer to home where we'd be more competitive.

Defiance County League confirmed!

As unrealistic as it probably is, imagine how much nicer it would be driving to Ayersville and Sherwood instead of Kenton and Celina. ?

Last edited:
Committing to a potential 5-team league is interesting, unless of course they did things the right way and have had Napoleon or Defiance on the phone BEFORE announcing their plans

Committing to a potential 5-team league is interesting, unless of course they did things the right way and have had Napoleon or Defiance on the phone BEFORE announcing their plans

If you read the board minutes and resolution passed for Patrick Henry, it specifically mentions their "commitment to the NWOAL in it's current format, for the next four years." Wording is key. I think it's a very different world for them if the other three leave.

The BVC is an internal mess it seems. Watch these two leagues in the very, very near future.

PH will be out of the NWOAL. Napoleon and Defiance are on their way in to the NWOAL according to very reliable sources. As Rolling Train stated, the wording is very important to what PH voted on...

I have not heard anything from anyone at Delta but I do know Evergreen is right behind Swanton on this NWOAL exit. Can't blame any of them for leaving if your ultimate goal is a league title.

Wauseon, Bryan, LC, Archbold, Defiance, and Napoleon all know that league titles are great but these schools also strive for state titles.

We can all see the writing on the wall that eventually the OHSAA will include all schools in the State Playoffs just as they do in basketball and baseball.

So Defiance and Napoleon won't be hindered that badly by playing smaller league schools for football.

View attachment 14886

This answers a few questions. Wauseon & Bryan are scheduled to have to work meetings this week or the next. Looks like PH & LC aren’t leaving..

Not necessarily, all resolutions are...is just a board public statement. I feel they could be doing this to appease their communities, so if things do fall apart, it shows they were not part of that. Their resolution also says "under the current format" which opens the door, if things change. If Evergreen, Delta and Swanton do leave, the NWOAL will need to bring 3 schools. most likely larger schools. If this were to be the case, why would PH want to be the small school in a big league?

As for the GMC merger, I don't see the GMC doing that, they are happy where they are now and like being 8 schools.

Last edited:
It appears LC signed the same resolution, agreeing to four more years of the NWOAL as long as the format continues to be the same. Looks like this was a universal resolution sent out to all of the NWOAL schools.

It appears LC signed the same resolution, agreeing to four more years of the NWOAL as long as the format continues to be the same. Looks like this was a universal resolution sent out to all of the NWOAL schools.
And if one school leaves it means nothing. School board members are politicians after all.

If you read the board minutes and resolution passed for Patrick Henry, it specifically mentions their "commitment to the NWOAL in it's current format, for the next four years." Wording is key. I think it's a very different world for them if the other three leave.

The BVC is an internal mess it seems. Watch these two leagues in the very, very near future.

Please explain how the BVC is "an internal mess".......

Bryan & Wauseon both have their BOE meetings March 8th. & being a very close friends with a Wauseon board member and a few coaches, they’ve all showed interest with joining the NLL or having to play with bigger schools, hence why they schedule every single NLL school in basketball.

& if the opportunity is there, i don’t see why they won’t take it. They’re head basketball coach, coach Burt advocated to join the NLL a year or two ago.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the league doesn’t change at all.. but who knows what the hell is gonna happen at this point. All i know is that Wauseon has always expressed playing with bigger schools. Especially with the success they’ve been having in sports recently

From the Crescent News:

Looks like they’re trying to put pressure on Swanton, Delta, & Evergreen with all schools deciding to stay.

I still can’t believe that the fate of Northwest Ohio sporting leagues are all in the hands of Swantucky people.. which i feel is a slap to the face to every athletic board in the area.

These people from Swanton should really be ashamed of themselves.

From the Crescent News:

Looks like they’re trying to put pressure on Swanton, Delta, & Evergreen with all schools deciding to stay.

I still can’t believe that the fate of Northwest Ohio sporting leagues are all in the hands of Swantucky people.. which i feel is a slap to the face to every athletic board in the area.

These people from Swanton should really be ashamed of themselves.

Sad thing is the stretch where they had a legit coach (Vicars) they were pretty competitive. It's why this needing to bounce leagues is overblown at times, great coaches can turn just about any program around. As I said earlier, an NBC/NWOAL champ would for sure at least be a 7-3 team in the NLL.