Districts

Dgrove@BC

How about a three day District that is almost two hours away via bus, with half your team. Oh and we aren't doing a weekend, we are going to do a Thursday, Friday and Saturday so we can miss more work. Then... the kids that wrestle day one, can't weigh out, but instead have to weigh in on Thursday and then again on Saturday, but the other kids weigh in Friday and out on Friday night.

Sorry, I know this is a crazy year and things are hard. But schools all over the place and this is the best hosting position we could find?

OHSAA screwed it up once again. I am not surprised though, not at all.

You made a great point about work for the coaches as well missing more days. I just don't like that it is different from the other districts and seems to be an unfair advantage to the lighter weights from SW Ohio. Of course life is not fair but I feel like this is a controlled situation that could have easily been created to be fair. Probably still could be. I mean if it is the venue pushing this then why not be at another Columbus location or to create total chaos some place in Dayton or Cincinnati. Shouldn't the district be Central to those in SW Ohio. Perhaps a Harrison, Lebanon etc . . . .

You want them to cancel? It is a weird year. Just take it and go wrestle. Tell your kids we will make this work because we have to. Life is not fair. Lets wrestle.
Who said I wasn't ready to wrestle or preparing kids to be ready?

That doesn't deny the fact that OHSAA has been planning for this event over an entire year and this is the best they have come up with. I have a Sectional tournament with 22 schools and it is only taking two days, why a three day District with less kids and more days. It just seems like OHSAA believes that coaches don't matter. Coaches time is not important or valuable, if it was I wouldn't be pulled out of my teaching position for two days so that the host schools can have parents, less fans of course, buy tickets for three days instead of two?

Who knows, I just hate OHSAA and wish they would get their stuff together.

Good luck to all wrestlers the next three weeks. Stay healthy and wrestle your best! Good luck coaches too!

Who said I wasn't ready to wrestle or preparing kids to be ready?

That doesn't deny the fact that OHSAA has been planning for this event over an entire year and this is the best they have come up with. I have a Sectional tournament with 22 schools and it is only taking two days, why a three day District with less kids and more days. It just seems like OHSAA believes that coaches don't matter. Coaches time is not important or valuable, if it was I wouldn't be pulled out of my teaching position for two days so that the host schools can have parents, less fans of course, buy tickets for three days instead of two?

Who knows, I just hate OHSAA and wish they would get their stuff together.

Good luck to all wrestlers the next three weeks. Stay healthy and wrestle your best! Good luck coaches too!

Isn't this a site based decision to host it for 3 days not OHSAA? Many of the other districts are only 2 days. I see 3 that are hosting a 3 day event. If you look at the times schedules the wrestling starts after the school day end. I'm guessing that plays a factor. In addition, maybe they don't have gym availability on Sunday. Lots of factors go into hosting events. Covid has made many things difficult this past year. Is a 3 day tournament going to be ideal especially for the light weights (heck no) but it's better than the alternative of not having one at all. ?‍♂️

Isn't this a site based decision to host it for 3 days not OHSAA? Many of the other districts are only 2 days. I see 3 that are hosting a 3 day event. If you look at the times schedules the wrestling starts after the school day end. I'm guessing that plays a factor. In addition, maybe they don't have gym availability on Sunday. Lots of factors go into hosting events. Covid has made many things difficult this past year. Is a 3 day tournament going to be ideal especially for the light weights (heck no) but it's better than the alternative of not having one at all. ?‍♂️
Chidy, I believe you are correct. The site determines how many days and the schedule, but OHSAA has to approve that decision for sure.

Seriously stop using the excuse of "its better than not having one". Drives me nuts hearing the excuses from everyone these days. Is it better then last year with it being canceled. Yes of course it is. Does that mean everyone should get a free pass for doing things half way because it was a different sort of year. Nope. Do you let your kids slide by if their grades are down this year because it was a tough year? I think it is a reasonable expectation that all of the districts are run the same unless they ran out of options. With that said, others on here have mentioned opportunities they passed on.

If your going to do something, then do it to the best of your ability and as fair as possible. I feel like that is part of what OSHAA is supposed to be doing as an organization. I will step back and say that my belief is that these are paid positions making these decisions. If I am wrong on that then I apologize. In the end it is what it is but just don't say accept it because it was a tough year.

I could NOT agree with you more. And let this be your kids in the three day districts and maybe it becomes a problem. The entire process is a nightmare and I am sure that OHSAA knows that. But they so many people working and listed as 'in charge of this' or 'head of that' and I can tell you right now, they don't do their job with kids/coaches and schools as their priority. I am sure they will tell you they do, but they don't. Message me and I will give you tons of examples.

I have a friend who also coaches, he was ejected from a match for telling an official who was yelling at him to sit down. When the coach said, "I don't have to sit." He was called for a flagrant foul. The official had weighed his kids in with two females wrestlers and had NO coach present, which is a direct violation of OHSAA policy.

Then, the officially misapplied the rule by calling it flagrant and only penalizing points as a miss-conduct. The coach tried to appeal, but OHSAA has no appeal process and they refused to consider overturning the call. He forwarded emails to me that showed OHSAA "leaders" saying they agreed and that the official should be punished, but they would not overturn the call.

Here is the kicker, turns out the official in question did NOT have a freaking licence to officiate in the first place. So he made a call that he was NOT allowed to even make in the first place. Again that coach contacted OHSAA and they got nasty with him and said they were not commenting on this topic again. The coach had to take a class, sit out to events and pay 120 dollars in fines.

OHSAA could have helped that coach out, they didn't. Call it what you will, make your own opinions, but OHSAA you couldn't win a fight against a one legged man in an kicking contest. What a joke. The sites and arrangements this year are just another example of people not doing what they should be.

DI
Kettering Fairmont - 3 days, Thursday through Saturday (start 6 PM both Thursday/Friday)
North Canton Hoover - 2 days, Friday/Saturday
Perrysburg - 2 days, Friday/Saturday
Hilliard Darby - 2 days, Saturday/Sunday

DII
Norwalk - 3 days, Thursday through Saturday (start 5 PM both Thursday/Friday)
Wilmington - 3 days, Thursday through Saturday (start 3:30 PM both Thursday/Friday)
Gallia - 2 days, Friday/Saturday
Perry - 2 days, Friday/Saturday

DIII
Coshocton - 2 days, Friday/Saturday
Garfield Hts - 2 days, Friday/Saturday
Troy - 2 days, Friday/Saturday
Rossford - 2 days, Saturday/Sunday

I think OHSAA did the best they could given a lousy hand to deal with. The established preference was for the two-day district tournament, however there was an allowance given for the three-day format. With the struggle to find host sites for post-season this year, I'm guessing they took what they could get.

I think Gallia is a first-time host for district competition, though it's not normal that the SE gets to host a district tournament. Perry is a new host site, taking over since Alliance did not want the tournament. Rossford is a new host for district competition (at least I think it is), though that NW D3 site has been a revolving door.

It's been stated many times, OHSAA really had a tough time finding host schools that also had room for enough mats. Then the host school got to decide the schedule. None of the large venues were even available to be rented, it wasn't the OHSAA being cheap. I'm no fan of the OHSAA but their hands have been tied...and for those claiming they're taking the easy way out, running three state tournaments at three different locations will no doubt be more of a challenge.

How many tournaments you guys go to this year that had full 16 man brackets?

It's been stated many times, OHSAA really had a tough time finding host schools that also had room for enough mats. Then the host school got to decide the schedule. None of the large venues were even available to be rented, it wasn't the OHSAA being cheap. I'm no fan of the OHSAA but their hands have been tied...and for those claiming they're taking the easy way out, running three state tournaments at three different locations will no doubt be more of a challenge.

How many tournaments you guys go to this year that had full 16 man brackets?
Ohsaa is ran by money grubbing desk jockeys.
Oac can have youth,jr high, freshman,and girls state at the Covelile center and let in 2 coaches per wrestler in and 4 spectators and we are in a high school!!! Can't wait tell the last minute to book a venue!!!

Well, my dos pesos, we can all say it’s better than last year but we can also say .... Come on man! The fact is, if you ask these kids “Where do you want to wrestle other than the Schott?” I bet most would say “I could care less!” Most, if no other choice existed, would settle the bracket in a barn on a Tuesday evening. I would also bet some “settings” happened last Spring and into the Fall. The Schott is awesome, the tunnel sends chills through your body, pictures of the 4x’rs and the whole deal amps you up. Weird that for most kids, even with 15,000 screaming fans, that 6 minutes is really quiet, almost like wrestling in a HS gym.

The real question, is the Alliance district taken over by Perry, or is it a one-year thing? Do we expect Perry to host the district going forward or does Alliance get it back next year?

No, we should run districts like any other year. It's ridiculous that we are still wrestling with restrictions. Anyone that is concerned about their safety can just chose to stay home. We need to stop living in fear and get back to normal.

This is silly.

Unnecessary risks at this point (could possibly) = Kiddos not wrestling next week, and the following week when they have earned it.

Its about THEM. Not mom/dad in the stands, coaches, "fans", or anyone else. Simple. Obviously, the risk is inherently there in sports - so its about minimizing that risk.

A very ignorant, little man who I really dislike has a quote that gets thrown around all the time, something like "facts dont care about your feelings" - Ill actually say this applies here.

Everyone knows/understands tournaments are being held elsewhere in different forms/ fashions. No one cares. We're here, where there are restrictions that have to be followed whether you believe in them or not. We're taking precautions aimed to help make sure the wrestlers who qualify to the next week can continue on. Simple.

Everyone knows/understands that the chances are even if you are infected it probably wont be too awful. Again, No one cares. If you catch this stuff, whether you have symptoms or not, you are done, and everyone around you to like the 5th degree will also be done. So, there are restrictions here, and if you're lucky enough to attend a post season event in person: You either follow them, or you don't come. Simple.

I for one, am grateful - simply for the fact that we're minimizing the risks and trying to make sure the wrestlers can continue on. While it isnt ideal, it could be worse. Could be making them wear masks during competition, could be no competition at all.

Ohsaa is ran by money grubbing desk jockeys.
Oac can have youth,jr high, freshman,and girls state at the Covelile center and let in 2 coaches per wrestler in and 4 spectators and we are in a high school!!! Can't wait tell the last minute to book a venue!!!

The Covelli isn't available for outside rental. Either is the Schott, either is the Nutter Center and either is every other large venue in the State.

The Covelli isn't available for outside rental. Either is the Schott, either is the Nutter Center and either is every other large venue in the State.

I work downtown Columbus in the arena district. I have been working from home since last March. I went downtown to check things out this past weekend and went to the North Market to get some lunch. The place was packed. I mentioned to the guy i was getting food from how nice that was. He said most of the time they are empty, just happened to be a youth volleyball tournament going on. That kinda surprised me. I would have thought the convention center would be closed. But there they were, having a large volleyball tournament with kids from all over i assume. That is how it was in the past anyway. Like 40 courts or more. I know TofC has moved this year from downtown. The guy said they were still have sporting events from time to time. Just surprised me that the convention center was open for business.

The CBJ are about to allow 10% (just under 2000) fans back into the arena. I also work there as an usher (my fun job). If that goes well they will up it to 22% after a couple weeks.

OHSAA has used the convention center in past years. I went there last year for girls basketball regionals. If you look at their calendar of events i see cheer competitions almost every weekend. Also see a NCAA D2 Womans Basketball final 8. https://columbusconventions.com/attendees/event-calendar-attendees/

Just interesting..............

Last edited:
Brain Fart ~ I think I actually get it now. Since it is held at a high school then school would be in session during the day. So doing two sessions (one Thursday night and one Friday night) makes a little more sense now. If you want to do two days maybe you run weights 106-126 from start to finish Friday night and then Saturday 132 to Heavy . Maybe for this year only you remove the maximum number of matches a kid can wrestle in a day. I've been at national tournaments where kids have wrestled 8 to 10 times in a day. I think you have to consider everyone when planning this including refs, parents, kids and coaches. A two day tournament is easier on everyone and can still be done safely. Anyway, I guess I just wish maybe OSHAA would have thought a little more creatively here. Oh well it is what it is. Nobody is changing anything so might as well move on.

I work downtown Columbus in the arena district. I have been working from home since last March. I went downtown to check things out this past weekend and went to the North Market to get some lunch. The place was packed. I mentioned to the guy i was getting food from how nice that was. He said most of the time they are empty, just happened to be a youth volleyball tournament going on. That kinda surprised me. I would have thought the convention center would be closed. But there they were, having a large volleyball tournament with kids from all over i assume. That is how it was in the past anyway. Like 40 courts or more. I know TofC has moved this year from downtown. The guy said they were still have sporting events from time to time. Just surprised me that the convention center was open for business.

The CBJ are about to allow 10% (just under 2000) fans back into the arena. I also work there as an usher (my fun job). If that goes well they will up it to 22% after a couple weeks.

OHSAA has used the convention center in past years. I went there last year for girls basketball regionals.

I've seen like 32 mats at the TOC. Could easily get a district or a state tournament done in a day except for that pesky matches limit requirement. Separate into two sessions and boom you are done.

In terms of the match limit thing, that's the one hinderance to running the tournament in one day from a mechanics standpoint. That's why the sectional regulations have the sixth-match criteria in there. Since it is viewed as a "safety regulation", OHSAA isn't going to waive it during the post-season though they are allowed to deviate from certain NFHS procedures within the state series (hence weigh-outs in a normal year).

Say what you may about the politics, lord knows I have my feelings, the reason for the split sessions is to enable spectators and greater social distancing. With the indoor maximum in the health orders being 300, assuming greater than or equal to 2000 capacity in the gym, one can do the math and see how having 112 participants at once versus 224 participants at once is important.

Just interesting..............
Daughter plays volleyball and wrestled this year. The volleyball courts at the convention center are spread out more then normal. Presidents’ Day weekend it was limited to 2 parents and a COVID coordinator (extra parent required to register and due youth protection training) per team (9-12 girls). This coming weekend they are allowing a 3rd parent. Usually you have 2plus specters per girl around a court.

I’m Happy they are having a State tourney at all. Kids got screwed over last year ! However 3 days increases the chances of catching covid. Everything should return back too how it was before with the exception of the amount of spectators. Limit 2 tickets per qualifying wrestler and move on. Complaint Department doesn’t give a crap about anyone’s thoughts , mine included. As far as Youngstown Covelli for high school state, no way ! OAC is a money grab and if they were truly all in it for the sport / kids . To promote the growth of the sport or keep kids in it, they would move it around for youth and jr high . No doubt the venue is nice , nice for everyone who doesn’t live in southwest ohio . Good luck to all the grapplers .

I think there is something about the "changes" this year we all are upset or unhappy about.
BUT we have to look at the big picture and see that at least the kids are still getting the opportunity to compete.

Heck this will just my kids second tournament of the year , first being our league just 2 weeks ago.

3 months ago I think we all were a little unsure if/when the post season was going to happen. Its here now so lets just embrace it and be thankful!

Not exactly true. Boys and girls basketball is being held at University of Dayton's arena. 4 tickets per player.