Saturday-Sunday Tournaments

huntergreen

I know this is a covid year and things are different, but I hate the Saturday-Sunday tournament schedules. The girls state tourney, our district tourney and the state tourney all follow this schedule. While it may not affect me a whole lot personally, I feel for those coaches (and more importantly their families) when they are gone entire weekends over the next month, and then head right back to work on Monday!

Hopefully, its just 1 year!

As I looked around the gym today at the second day of the girls state tournament, I saw coaches I’ve known for years. ...who also coach the boys teams.

I made mention to someone that the stretch these coaches are on is intense - and quite frankly - unsustainable.

Five weeks straight? Something’s gotta give.

As I looked around the gym today at the second day of the girls state tournament, I saw coaches I’ve known for years. ...who also coach the boys teams.

I made mention to someone that the stretch these coaches are on is intense - and quite frankly - unsustainable.

Well hopefully the girls state tournament gets sanctioned by OHSAA and they can run at the state portion right along with the boys state next year at hopefully the Schott. How cool will it be to have not 3 but 4 raised mats next year and the girls getting to shine in front of 12,000 people!

My sanity before this is over, especially as a host site.

Well hopefully the girls state tournament gets sanctioned by OHSAA and they can run at the state portion right along with the boys state next year at hopefully the Schott. How cool will it be to have not 3 but 4 raised mats next year and the girls getting to shine in front of 12,000 people!

I was talking with someone here at school about this very thing this morning and my only issue is girls right now are 1 division, meaning a lot of them will have sites separate from boys sites until state. Like mentioned above, guys coaches are pulling double duty. Being sanctioned could force the schools to hire more coaches but we all know how that'll go.

My sanity before this is over, especially as a host site.

I was talking with someone here at school about this very thing this morning and my only issue is girls right now are 1 division, meaning a lot of them will have sites separate from boys sites until state. Like mentioned above, guys coaches are pulling double duty. Being sanctioned could force the schools to hire more coaches but we all know how that'll go.

Yeah that's the hard part is having the staff to cover the district if your boys are wrestling district the same weekend. Maybe do the girls districts the week before the boys sectionals. It's not ideal to have a 3 week gap for the girls between district and state but it may be necessary to start out that way so that until things grow more as far as having more girls involved.

This year was a bit of an anomaly with boys wrestling mostly duals during the season so it's easier to free up staff. Hopefully if it gets sanctioned by OHSAA schools will be more willing to have a separate girls staff (maybe 2 positions to start out?)