Oakley School Board Members Caught on Video Bashing Parents

Actually, the issue of placing restrictions on public comments in and of itself was proper and correct. But it was something they should already have been familiar with. That's what strikes me about this, even more so having seen this longer video. Their conversation make it sound like they're brand-new to the job. If they had been on a year or more, then their lack of deportment on Zoom coupled with being unsure of their public participation policy is even more troubling.
Public comments are part of the process. Setting a limit to 5 speakers with 3 minutes of time seems reasonable. Emailing or calling in to speak should be easy. Informing the board and district of talking points is problematic. Take the good comments with the bad. Some districts have clean up speakers. The will refute a persons talking point at the next board meeting. That speaker will have ties to the district and look to discredit the previous speaker. PR and branding are gold for school districts. Dissenting opinion is to be squashed.

Teachers Unions don't care about students, they only care about the members of the teachers unions.

Keep expanding the school voucher system, and getting these kids a real education, so they can have a bright future, is the only way to break this cycle of government run education corruption and failure.

Who is funding them? lol. They're dues memberships, aren't they?

Better question is who are they funding..

USE OF MEMBER MONEY FOR POLITICS IS UNPOPULAR AND MISUNDERSTOOD
  • 68 percent of registered voters say they are concerned that public employee unions have too much influence over politicians who, when elected, must negotiate with these groups. (FOX News Poll conducted by Anderson Robbins Research (D) and Shaw & Company Research (R) | March 14-16, 2011)
  • 66 percent of government and private union employees say it is unreasonable that union leaders across America can spend their dues on politics without getting their approval. (The Word Doctors | October 26-28, 2010)
  • 89 percent of private and government union employees agree that union workers should have the right to know how their dues money is being spent and believe the Department of Labor should disclose union spending on the Internet to ensure accountability. (The Word Doctors | October 26-28, 2010)
  • 89 percent of private and government union employees agree that union workers should have the right to know how their dues money is being spent and believe the Department of Labor should disclose union spending on the Internet to ensure accountability. (The Word Doctors | October 26-28, 2010)
  • 69 percent of private and government union employees believe union officials need to stop spending union dues on partisan politics and invest it in creating more jobs, as well as focus on the membership, not the elections. (The Word Doctors | October 26-28, 2010)
  • Use of members’ money for political goals was second only to corruption as the reasons Americansdisapproved of unions, according to a 2004 Zogby poll.
    • That poll also found that 63 percent of all employees, and 61 percent of unionized employees, agreed that union members shouldn’t be forced to contribute.

Teachers Unions don't care about students, they only care about the members of the teachers unions.

Keep expanding the school voucher system, and getting these kids a real education, so they can have a bright future, is the only way to break this cycle of government run education corruption and failure.
How about getting the government out of education? Let communities decide how to educate. I'll concede a mandated graduation test. Meat and potatoes But, let teachers do their thing. Get rid of the high priced administrators. Measure progress and stop teaching to a number. Let the end product speak. It's progress that should be the measuring stick.

The admin unions need to go.
Are the admins in your district union? Most are not.

It's TDS You let your hatred carry over to judging. Let's start with baby food. Here is an article for you. It's amazing how artificial you are. This Moron thinks the way school board business is conducted is very important.
You found one dissenting OPINION from a law firm speaking to Nebraska, which like Ohio does not require Robert's Rules of Order. Most entities run some form or hybrid of Robert's Rules. It is a means to run a meeting efficiently. Anyone can petition to have something added to the agenda. When it comes to old business and new business ANYONE can comment. Yes there are limits on time and for good reason. Have you ever been to a meeting like this? Everyone with a gripe comes out of the woodwork and if you give them a forum they will talk for days. The people voted school board members in and have the ability to vote them out.

This is why it is difficult to even have a reasonable conversation with you. You are talking about a process and means of order. It sounds like you need to run for school board and change the procedure. Keep in mind, you have to have rules at these things or else it can become a giant $chit show. So, for the record, I'd love to see you actually run for office, win, and change the rules of the school board meeting to what you believe works best. Lol.

It is absolutely moronic to blame Robert's Rules.

Education has become a partisan issue. Whew This should put a stop to the partisan issue.
Teachers Unions have given more and more to Dems because they have been under attack from Pubs. This all coincides with the graph you provide as a timeline of attack. Most Republicans have not hid the fact that they want all schools privatized (see DeVos).

You found one dissenting OPINION from a law firm speaking to Nebraska, which like Ohio does not require Robert's Rules of Order. Most entities run some form or hybrid of Robert's Rules. It is a means to run a meeting efficiently. Anyone can petition to have something added to the agenda. When it comes to old business and new business ANYONE can comment. Yes there are limits on time and for good reason. Have you ever been to a meeting like this? Everyone with a gripe comes out of the woodwork and if you give them a forum they will talk for days. The people voted school board members in and have the ability to vote them out.

This is why it is difficult to even have a reasonable conversation with you. You are talking about a process and means of order. It sounds like you need to run for school board and change the procedure. Keep in mind, you have to have rules at these things or else it can become a giant $chit show. So, for the record, I'd love to see you actually run for office, win, and change the rules of the school board meeting to what you believe works best. Lol.

I don't know where to start. I attended boards meetings for 2 years. I know the educational system start to finish. I like to watch Columbus school board meetings and they make me sick. I provided you an article and it's the tip of the iceberg. Are you aware of agreements some districts make board members sign? Your first paragraph is nothing but baby food.

I decided not to run for board because it doesn't matter who serves. The foxes are in charge of the hen house. I can run and win. Then what? I won't be pressured or indoctrinated. It would take them about a year to discharge me. Don't wade into waters where you're not fully educated. Just because I'm MAGA you have a preconceived notion of superior intelligence. Just quit while you're ahead. I have read your educational comments and agree with many. But well lets just stop. Unless you want to spend the next 2 years understanding the underbelly of education. FOI is a wonderful law as is the sunshine.

Teachers Unions have given more and more to Dems because they have been under attack from Pubs. This all coincides with the graph you provide as a timeline of attack. Most Republicans have not hid the fact that they want all schools privatized (see DeVos).
Total BS schools should be privatized for failing our youth. Do you even know per pupil spending for each school district in Ohio? Start there and circle back. Here is a hint, Columbus School students receive close to the most in spending for central Ohio. How's that math work? More money means a better education? Lol total complete nonsense

I don't know where to start. I attended boards meetings for 2 years. I know the educational system start to finish. I like to watch Columbus school board meetings and they make me sick. I provided you an article and it's the tip of the iceberg. Are you aware of agreements some districts make board members sign? Your first paragraph is nothing but baby food.

I decided not to run for board because it doesn't matter who serves. The foxes are in charge of the hen house. I can run and win. Then what? I won't be pressured or indoctrinated. It would take them about a year to discharge me. Don't wade into waters where you're not fully educated. Just because I'm MAGA you have a preconceived notion of superior intelligence. Just quit while you're ahead. I have read your educational comments and agree with many. But well lets just stop. Unless you want to spend the next 2 years understanding the underbelly of education. FOI is a wonderful law as is the sunshine.
Not a bad post.

You started this all off saying there should not be administration unions. I do not know of any. If they are out there they are few and far between.

You said Robert's Rules of Order is a root cause of dysfunction because it can suppress dissent. The person can suppress, kind of, and only to a degree. My only point was you can eliminate Robert's Rules but you will need something in its place.

I am very familiar with school boards. I even have more experience running meetings under Robert's Rules. Those rules are in place so that no matter who is in charge anyone else with interest has a chance to express dissent. The reason it is still used everywhere is because it works and works well.

I do not have a preconceived notion of anything. I am a very average intelligent and educated person. Some would say below average. :D We can have honest dialogue, which I would appreciate, or we can go round and round on stupidity. Choice is not mine.

Total BS schools should be privatized for failing our youth. Do you even know per pupil spending for each school district in Ohio? Start there and circle back. Here is a hint, Columbus School students receive close to the most in spending for central Ohio. How's that math work? More money means a better education? Lol total complete nonsense
I never said that. You do understand the measurements of students and learning. Public or private it all starts at home. I'm all for new methods but the current method is to hand taxpayer money to PRIVATE schools who A). are not better and B). can still pick and choose and C). do not have to play by the same rules. Publics have to take em all.

Not a bad post.

You started this all off saying there should not be administration unions. I do not know of any. If they are out there they are few and far between.

You said Robert's Rules of Order is a root cause of dysfunction because it can suppress dissent. The person can suppress, kind of, and only to a degree. My only point was you can eliminate Robert's Rules but you will need something in its place.

I am very familiar with school boards. I even have more experience running meetings under Robert's Rules. Those rules are in place so that no matter who is in charge anyone else with interest has a chance to express dissent. The reason it is still used everywhere is because it works and works well.

I do not have a preconceived notion of anything. I am a very average intelligent and educated person. Some would say below average. :D We can have honest dialogue, which I would appreciate, or we can go round and round on stupidity. Choice is not mine.
Fair enough

t
I never said that. You do understand the measurements of students and learning. Public or private it all starts at home. I'm all for new methods but the current method is to hand taxpayer money to PRIVATE schools who A). are not better and B). can still pick and choose and C). do not have to play by the same rules. Publics have to take em all.
It most assuredly starts at home. There are 4 pieces that must work together in the perfect education world. Student to parent, student and parent to teacher. Teacher to Administration. That example is the exception not the norm. Thus education is much more difficult. Difficult beyond the average thoughts of parents. The jobs are difficult but so is life. Turning educational responsibilities over to communities would relieve and revamp education. We have to leverage responsibilities back on the students. I honestly think most parents still care about offspring. The 50 million dollar question is how to do this with shades of gray. Urban areas present unique complex issues.

Okay, now I see where the pessimism comes from. I have to disagree with you. though. It absolutely DOES matter who serves. Granted, the size and location of the district does have an impact. The bigger the district, the more partisan politics and money play a part in the board makeup. But as Edmund Burke said, if good men/women choose to do nothing, how else are things going to improve?

Full disclosure: I served on a BOE for a number of years, but our district's big improvement happened before I got there. My goal was to not screw that up. But you're kinda right about one thing. I'm a conservative, and I did not want to run for office, but we still had to do a lot of critical thinking. ;)

Okay, now I see where the pessimism comes from. I have to disagree with you. though. It absolutely DOES matter who serves. Granted, the size and location of the district does have an impact. The bigger the district, the more partisan politics and money play a part in the board makeup. But as Edmund Burke said, if good men/women choose to do nothing, how else are things going to improve?

Full disclosure: I served on a BOE for a number of years, but our district's big improvement happened before I got there. My goal was to not screw that up. But you're kinda right about one thing. I'm a conservative, and I did not want to run for office, but we still had to do a lot of critical thinking. ;)
You are correct and the statement is humbling. You served for the greater good with no political aspirations. That's are rare sacrifice in today's world. I especially like the short duration.

That Math works because the students the privates schools WON'T take are considerably higher in special needs; physically, mentally, social, economically. Even people that support schools that teach ALL God's children want efficiencies. Is it wrong to say that anyone taking public money for their operations would have to prove they are willing to accept all public students and show they are helping those student attain?

Education can be private. No one is preventing that. But a private company can come and go. Education to most who actually care about others than themselves, see education as an essential, that cannot be allowed to come and go as profits and revenues dictate. The social fabirc that holds ommunities needs stability.

Research been done. Numbers are there. Voucher kids at private schools, even within that selective environment are generally not performing as well as their public counterparts from which those students were vouchered. Nor have they shown value added. So why are you (private school supporters/public school bashers) all for supporting these private entities with your tax dollars? Because to you it's not about the education. It's about the failing economic of the private Catholic system needing government pork in order to survive.

Last edited:
That Math works because the students the privates schools WON'T take are considerably higher in special needs; physically, mentally, social, economically. Even people that support schools that teach ALL God's children want efficiencies. Is it wrong to say that anyone taking public money for their operations would have to prove they are willing to accept all public students and show they are helping those student attain?

Education can be private. No one is preventing that. But a private company can come and go. Education to most who actually care about others than themselves, see education as an essential, that cannot be allowed to come and go as profits and revenues dictate. The social fabirc that holds ommunities needs stability.

Research been done. Numbers are there. Voucher kids at private schools, even within that selective environment are generally not performing as well as their public counterparts from which those students were vouchered. Nor have they shown value added. So why are you (private school supporters/public school bashers) all for supporting these private entities with your tax dollars? Because to you it's not about the education. It's about the failing economic of the private Catholic system needing government pork in order to survive.
The president model for education is working?

Don't think I'm getting my money's worth, Cincinnati publics have immense expenses and little results.

Parent's should allocate the tax money allocated to education, to decide what is in their child's best interest, not have corrupt teacher's unions do it for them.

School choice is best for all families. Competition should drive the market, not government run monopolies.

Don't think I'm getting my money's worth, Cincinnati publics have immense expenses and little results.

Parent's should allocate the tax money allocated to education, to decide what is in their child's best interest, not have corrupt teacher's unions do it for them.

School choice is best for all families. Competition should drive the market, not government run monopolies.
I believe in vouchers and results. The part that becomes worrisome is PROFIT. How do we figure that out? I personally want all monies benefitted the students. How about local education.

I believe in vouchers and results. The part that becomes worrisome is PROFIT. How do we figure that out? I personally want all monies benefitted the students. How about local education.

Total money received for education divided by total number of students. Each parent decides whether the value is worth the price of education, and if need be pays the difference out of their own pocket.

I don't like the fact that tax dollars are indirectly going to unions, and associations that have zero benefit to students.

Unprofessional for sure.

I'll point something else out. We live in a day and age where no one wants these jobs. Why? Because they are thankless service jobs and not done for the pay, which is peanuts. Most school boards are without pay or in the $1,000-$2,000 range. In larger schools districts maybe a tad more.

In today's world every Karen has an opinion and loves to cast stones because she grew up in the Jerry Springer generation where you talk a bunch of $chit about the people on the stage with zero regard to your own glass house. Throw covid-19 into the mix and school boards and administrations have it twice as bad. Half the parents who want school opened up will be the first to bit$ch if their kid gets covid-19. The other half want school closed but will b$tch about how you do it. Damned if you do/don't. The Karen at the end of the video will LOVE telling everyone how she started a petition calling for the board members ouster but is what she should really do is run for school board where she will find it is very difficult to make everyone happy. Then she will see the minimal pay is not worth all of the emails and late night phone calls from all of the other Karen's who think their kid is center of the Universe and would quit.
Check again, LA unified is 125k/yr for Board Membership.

Check again, LA unified is 125k/yr for Board Membership.
It's true. As of 2010, over 60% of school districts didn't pay board members. Los Angeles is a whole 'nother animal. I read their salary was increased from 45K per year to 125K three years ago. But those members are reportedly working 40 hours or more each week on board business.

In Ohio, no BOE member makes more than $125 per meeting, with a maximum of $5000 per year.

Here's an interesting link on board salaries across the country, including LA. Interesting that Houston and Dallas don't pay their school board members.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2017/07/27/what-should-we-pay-school-boards-reflecting-on-las-174-percent-raise/#:~:text=This month, Los Angeles local,previous annual salary of $26,437.

Total money received for education divided by total number of students. Each parent decides whether the value is worth the price of education, and if need be pays the difference out of their own pocket.

I don't like the fact that tax dollars are indirectly going to unions, and associations that have zero benefit to students.
Tough some game imo Small district Unions help teachers get reasonable pay. But, local education would have incentives to head hunt good teachers. Would they need the union? Probably not and the market would drive price. Another factor is the community. It's not always about money for good educators. Community support would help buffer some pay anomalies with local education.

It's true. As of 2010, over 60% of school districts didn't pay board members. Los Angeles is a whole 'nother animal. I read their salary was increased from 45K per year to 125K three years ago. But those members are reportedly working 40 hours or more each week on board business.

In Ohio, no BOE member makes more than $125 per meeting, with a maximum of $5000 per year.

Here's an interesting link on board salaries across the country, including LA. Interesting that Houston and Dallas don't pay their school board members.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2017/07/27/what-should-we-pay-school-boards-reflecting-on-las-174-percent-raise/#:~:text=This month, Los Angeles local,previous annual salary of $26,437.
Another reason to dismantle the whole system. Imo Let communities decide. Local government would have a vested interest in a well run educational system.

Thanks. We are talking Ohio. Based on what I know, largest district in my neck of the woods is around $3,000.
The issues of our present day education system are terminal. Imo I don't envision a future. Do you think it's salvageable? The example for LA board members pay is an example of the sickness.

The issues of our present day education system are terminal. Imo I don't envision a future. Do you think it's salvageable? The example for LA board members pay is an example of the sickness.
I agree with L.A. BUT that is CA and a LARGE district. I'd need to know more about it and what their job description is if paid that much?

I think we need to make changes. I am all for new ideas. I do not like the current political game of simply bankrupting public schools in favor of private schools that do not have to be bound by the same rules as their public counterparts.

EIB used a great example about Indianapolis and a technical school. We need more technical schools. We also need these schools to take all who come, not just those that run fast and jump high OR the best and brightest. At some point, one way or another, we have to figure out how to educate those who have no home life and offer nothing athletically. Everyone here understands that "measurements" in education, such as grading schools is a joke. In my neck of the woods you could swap out the teachers from the top performing school (Ottawa Hills) with the teachers from the lowest performing school (Woodward) and not see a change in outcome. It is not the teachers but rather our approach to those students.

I have found this interesting.

Kids struggle in school because they are disinterested (for the most part). School is not emphasized at home and they have little regard in long term thinking. Put that same kid in front of a computer game and watch him go. We need to merge video games with learning. Just one example of attracting some of the kids who currently fall through the cracks.

I agree with L.A. BUT that is CA and a LARGE district. I'd need to know more about it and what their job description is if paid that much?

I think we need to make changes. I am all for new ideas. I do not like the current political game of simply bankrupting public schools in favor of private schools that do not have to be bound by the same rules as their public counterparts.

EIB used a great example about Indianapolis and a technical school. We need more technical schools. We also need these schools to take all who come, not just those that run fast and jump high OR the best and brightest. At some point, one way or another, we have to figure out how to educate those who have no home life and offer nothing athletically. Everyone here understands that "measurements" in education, such as grading schools is a joke. In my neck of the woods you could swap out the teachers from the top performing school (Ottawa Hills) with the teachers from the lowest performing school (Woodward) and not see a change in outcome. It is not the teachers but rather our approach to those students.

I have found this interesting.

Kids struggle in school because they are disinterested (for the most part). School is not emphasized at home and they have little regard in long term thinking. Put that same kid in front of a computer game and watch him go. We need to merge video games with learning. Just one example of attracting some of the kids who currently fall through the cracks.
You and I are don't agree on politics. But, we could probably serve on a school board together. You have shown the ability to think outside the box. I like that. The only question I ask myself about education is. Is this whats best for the student.