Bearcats basketball 2020-2021

More postponements.

Last game was 1/10.

Next scheduled game is 2/4.

The AAC will need to get more creative than Spielberg if UC is going to finish their full conference schedule within the next 6 weeks.

I was shocked Brannan put Banks in at the end of the game too. For sure thought that was going to bite UC in the butt. But hey, great win considering they haven't played in 25 days and I think I heard had 1 practice during that same time frame?

Laughed when the announcer said FT shooting has been woeful for UC "tonight." It's been woeful for seemingly my entire life.

Is anyone actually optimistic about the future of the program at this point? I know Houston is good, but down by 43 with 13 minutes to play is just embarrassing. Add in Harvey opting out and likely doesn't return, still 0 recruits for 2021, and UC will be forced to rely heavily on the transfer market which Brannen has a terrible track record with. Trending in the wrong direction...

Last edited:
Is anyone actually optimistic about the future of the program at this point? I know Huston is good, but down by 43 with 13 minutes to play is just embarrassing. Add in Harvey opting out and likely doesn't return, still 0 recruits for 2021, and UC will be forced to rely heavily on the transfer market which Brannen has a terrible track record with. Trending in the wrong direction...
Nope... Brannen has to be on the hot seat at this point

Brannen just isn't the right guy for this program. Hopefully after he gets sacked from UC he can land a job at like UNC Asheville or something and provide a stable life for his family coaching at the low major level again.
Brannen does seem in over his head so far. Maybe he turns things around. He's probably here for at least 2 more years regardless of what happens, though. All we can do is buckle in.

Is anyone actually optimistic about the future of the program at this point? I know Houston is good, but down by 43 with 13 minutes to play is just embarrassing. Add in Harvey opting out and likely doesn't return, still 0 recruits for 2021, and UC will be forced to rely heavily on the transfer market which Brannen has a terrible track record with. Trending in the wrong direction...

Zero 2021 Recruits? How the heck does that happen? Players do not like Brannen style of play and personality?

Zero 2021 Recruits? How the heck does that happen? Players do not like Brannen style of play and personality?
The excuse has been that the staff hasn't been able to properly evaluate recruits because of COVID and being unable to watch them in person. How true is that? Only the staff really knows. Other teams don't seem to be having the same issues. Either way it's setting them back quite a bit.

The excuse has been that the staff hasn't been able to properly evaluate recruits because of COVID and being unable to watch them in person. How true is that? Only the staff really knows. Other teams don't seem to be having the same issues. Either way it's setting them back quite a bit.

I’m sure there’s some truth to the recruiting in person thing. I’m stunned that any D1 College Basketball Coach has Zero recruits for the next season and thinks that’s alright because they can’t recruit the way they always have. What’s Brannens buyout?

I’m sure there’s some truth to the recruiting in person thing. I’m stunned that any D1 College Basketball Coach has Zero recruits for the next season and thinks that’s alright because they can’t recruit the way they always have. What’s Brannens buyout?
If he's fired he gets 75% of his remaining contract, which is 6 years and 1.5M/year.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the football team, either. Brannen just flat out sucks as a recruiter and a coach at this level. It's not going to be a fun few years for UC basketball fans.

I’m stunned that any D1 College Basketball Coach has Zero recruits for the next season

It's not totally unheard of. IIRC, before the COVID free eligibility rules they were only set to lose Williams and Vogt, who I think both can return if they so choose. It's a pretty young team and I know a lot of D1 coaches don't like having a full scholarship roster so they have the freedom to chase a transfer if necessary. That being said, it's now a huge concern if guys like Harvey and Eason are possibly transferring out and Brannan has totally abandoned Diarra.

DeJulius opted out today citing mental health issues which effectively ends the team's chances at a competitive end to the season. He is expected to return next season though.

Got worked by the last place SEC team at home. What a dreadful season. I'm not optimistic that next year will be any better.

Need to load up the non-conference schedule with cupcakes and hope the AAC is just as pathetic as it was this season. Maybe we'll have a chance to win 20 games then.

Top to bottom the AAC was actually much improved this season.

No way.

AAC lost UConn which was a bubble team last season and is looking to be a tournament lock this season.

Otherwise, both seasons there was only 1 lock for the tournament (Houston - who was looking at like a 5 seed last season and a 2/3 seed this season).

UC and Wichita were on the inside looking out last season as far as the bubble. Memphis and UConn were probably right on the outside of the bubble last season.

This season there are just 3 other teams in bubble contention (Wichita, SMU, and Memphis) but at best, only one of them will get in and it's still possible none of them get in.

AAC had 7 teams in the top 90 of the NET last season. Now there are only 4 teams in the top 100.

The league had 2 teams with a sub-150 NET last season. Right now the league has 4 teams with a sub-150 NET.

No way.

AAC lost UConn which was a bubble team last season and is looking to be a tournament lock this season.

Otherwise, both seasons there was only 1 lock for the tournament (Houston - who was looking at like a 5 seed last season and a 2/3 seed this season).

UC and Wichita were on the inside looking out last season as far as the bubble. Memphis and UConn were probably right on the outside of the bubble last season.

This season there are just 3 other teams in bubble contention (Wichita, SMU, and Memphis) but at best, only one of them will get in and it's still possible none of them get in.

AAC had 7 teams in the top 90 of the NET last season. Now there are only 4 teams in the top 100.

The league had 2 teams with a sub-150 NET last season. Right now the league has 4 teams with a sub-150 NET.
Top to bottom was not the right words to use. The top of the league took a bit of a dive, the middle of the league has stayed about the same, but the bottom has been way better this year is what I was getting at. Despite the top taking a tumble, the league average ranking going by KenPom is 97.8 whereas last year it was 98.5. That's a good sign for the league.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the football team, either. Brannen just flat out sucks as a recruiter and a coach at this level. It's not going to be a fun few years for UC basketball fans.

He definitely needs to bring in some good recruiters! That's the one thing Mick was good at everywhere he went.

Nice win today. Young core has a lot of potential, just need to be more consistent. If they can beat SMU again and give Wichita a game in the semifinals there will be much more optimism going into next season.