2020 - 2021 Canton McKinley Boys Basketball Season

Tough loss for pups tonight. Better get ready to play consistently or they're looking at an early tournament exit.
Losing to STSM by only 7 points?
You guys were playing an all-star team. If not for the slow start in the first quarter, McK could've won this one.
I know it's a moral victory, but I think they'll do alright in the tournament.
Just can't get in an early hole against a good team, like they did last night.

Losing to STSM by only 7 points?
You guys were playing an all-star team. If not for the slow start in the first quarter, McK could've won this one.
I know it's a moral victory, but I think they'll do alright in the tournament.
Just can't get in an early hole against a good team, like they did last night.
No, not JUST losing to St. V....I believe they lost 3 of their last 4, including a loss to Hoover.

No, not JUST losing to St. V....I believe they lost 3 of their last 4, including a loss to Hoover.
you do realize they have been missing a very important starter for this stretch. arguably their best perimeter on ball defender. James is also a good scorer on offense. if and when he comes back 100% he will help them tremendously

you do realize they have been missing a very important starter for this stretch. arguably their best perimeter on ball defender. James is also a good scorer on offense. if and when he comes back 100% he will help them tremendously
It's tournament time, not a time for excuses. If McKinley's depth is that weak that missing a starter sends them into a spiral, they have big problems. Now I for one think that it's something they can overcome, there is a lot of talent on that team, they just need to play cohesive.

Next game...

Sectional

Wednesday 02/24/2021 7:00 PM

McK vs. Ak.Kenmore-Garfield @ Can. Field House

:>---

EGA

It's tournament time, not a time for excuses. If McKinley's depth is that weak that missing a starter sends them into a spiral, they have big problems. Now I for one think that it's something they can overcome, there is a lot of talent on that team, they just need to play cohesive.
Lets play this game. Basketball is not football. but lets replace a 6'5" 280 lb Right Tackle that has played 7 games. He is not going D1 but he is going to play College Football and he is going to be All NEO and is force at run blocking and good at pass blocking. He goes down for two games and the backup is a 5'11" 240lb soph who has got no meaningful run in Varsity games and is really good at pass blocking but can't run block well. Are you going to keep running behind the inexperienced RT or load up more on the your all state LT? You can still play very well but that little extra something isn't there and you had him playing for a good stretch of games. You have to adjust the game plan and lean on other players. I read this again and should've used an RB/QB where the RB got hurt and no legit backup and now that QB who is capable of throwing is now having to throw 25 plus times when he three less than 10 before and the whole offense changes

No Excuses here they played some tough teams and came up short but imagine how much better your team is whole when you are missing talented players and still competing against top tier teams coming up short. That is why i said what I did. Wait until you see them again at full strength in playoffs against these elite teams where you need two legit perimeter wing defenders to even compete with the big boys

It's February 22, 2021

2020 - 2021 CANTON MCKINLEY BOYS BASKETBALL SEASON

Won - 13 Lost - 6

HEAD COACH: Andy Vlajkovich
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2020 - 2021 Canton McKinley Boys Basketball Schedule
NO. DATE___ OPPONENT__________________________HOME or AWAY__LOCATION______________TIME__________WON OR LOST

01. 11/25/20 _LOUISVILLE_________________________Home____________Memorial Field House_____7:00 PM________CANCELLED

02. 11/28/20 _GAHANNA LINCOLN_________________Away____________Pickerington North________7:00 PM________CANCELLED
_____________Nike All Ohio Challenge

03. 12/01/20 _SPIRE ACADEMY____________________Home____________Memorial Field House_____6:00 PM________CANCELLED

04. 12/04/20 _ UNIONTOWN LAKE_________________Away_____________Uniontown Lake__________7:00 PM________Won (58 - 51)

05. 12/05/20 _ POWELL OLENTANGY LIBERTY ____ Home_____________Memorial Field Huse_____ 7:00 PM________Lost (78 - 73)

06. 12/20/20 _ CANTON GLENOAK________________Home_____________Memorial Field House_____7:00 PM________CANCELLED

07. 12/11/20 _ Massillon PERRY_______________Away_____________Massillon Perry___________7:00 PM________CANCELLED

08. 12/19/20 _ MENTOR__________________________Away_____________Walsh University__________6;30 PM________CANCELLED
_____________(HALL OF FAME HOOPS CLASSIC)

09. 12/23/20 _ LOUISVILLE (RESCHEDULED) _____ Home____________Memorial Field House______7:00 PM_______Won (84 - 55)

10. 12/27/20 _ CLEVELAND RHODES_____________Away_____________Garfield Heights___________7:00 PM_______CANCELLED
_____________(NEO ELITE SHOWCASE)

11. 12/28/20 _ Massillon PERRY_______________Away_____________Massillon Perry____________7:00 PM______Won (81 - 56)
_____________RESCHEDULED)

12. 12/30/20 _POWELL OLENTANGY LIBERTY ___Away_____________Powell Olentangy Liberty____4:00PM_______Lost (56 - 57)

12. 12/31/20 _ Massillon WASHINGTON_______Home_____________Memorial Field House_______2:00 PM______Won (71 - 60)

13. 01/03/21 _ LAKEWOOD ST EDWARD ________Away______________Euclid_____________________TBA_________CANCELLED
_____________(SCHOLASTIC PLAY BY PLAY)

14. 01/05/21 _UNIONTOWN GREEN_____________Home_____________Memorial Field House_______ 7:00 PM______Won (70 - 58)

15. 01/08/21 _Massillon JACKSON______________Away_____________ Massillon Jackson___________7:00 PM______Won (71 - 59)

16. 01/12/21 _ NORTH CANTON HOOVER_______Home_____________Memorial Field House________7:00 PM______Won (55 - 50)

17. 01/15/21 _ UNIONTOWN LAKE _____________ Home_____________Memorial Field House________7:00 PM_____Won (90 - 54)

18. 01/18/21 _ THOMAS WORTHINGTON _______Away______________Trent Arena Dayton__________TBA_________Lost (63 - 73)
_____________(FLYING TO THE HOOPS)

19. 01/22/21 _ CANTON GLENOAK_____________Away______________Canton GlenOak_____________7:00 PM_____Won (56 - 47)

20. 01/26/21 _ Massillon PERRY________________Home_____________Memorial Field House________ 7:00 PM_____Won (71 - 44)

21. 02/01/21 _ UNIONTOWN GREEN____________Away______________Uniontown Green____________7:00 PM______Won (81 - 61)

22. 02/05/21 _ Massillon JACKSON_____________Home_____________ Memorial Field House________7:00 PM______Won (63 - 52)

23. 02/06/21__CINCINNATI ARCHBISHOP ______Home______________Memorial Field House________4:00 PM______Lost (52 - 57)
_____________MOELLER (ERIC SNOW CLASSIC)

24. 02/12/21 _ NORTH CANTON HOOVER ______Away______________North Canton Hoover_________7:00 PM______Lost (71 - 73 OT)

25. 02/16/21 _ WOOSTER _____________________Home______________Memorial Field House________ 7:00 PM______Won (96 - 62)

26. 02/19/21 _ AKRON ST VINCENT ST MARY __Away______________ Akron St Vincent St Mary______7:30 PM______Lost (52 - 59)

27. 02/20/21_ CANTON GLENOAK ____________ Home______________Memorial Field House_________7:15 PM______Won (45 - 40)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2020 - 2021 Canton McKinley Boys Basketball Roster
NO. NAME_________________________POSITION________________GRADE _____HEIGHT____________WEIGHT

00. KOBE JOHNSON_______________ Point Guard_______________12___________6' - 04"_____________200

01. GAVIN MUCKLE________________Wing_____________________ 12___________6' - 00"_____________180

02. AMARION HERRING ___________Forward___________________12___________6" - 04"_____________175

03. JAHLIL GRAHAM ______________Point Guard_______________10 ___________5" - 10"_____________170

04. BRENT WALKER _______________Forward__________________ 12___________6' - 07"______________225

12. VERNON SMITH _______________ Center____________________12___________6' - 07"______________215

13. MERHI SMITH _________________Guard_____________________12___________5' - 10"______________170

20. CHARLES ARMSTRONG________Point Guard________________12___________5' - 07"______________160

21. TAE PERIE_____________________Point Guard________________12___________6' - 02"______________185

22. CONNOR WELDON____________ Guard_____________________10____________6 - 03"______________187

24. JONAH LYTLE_________________Point Guard________________12____________6 - 00"______________175

25. JAMES MCCOLLOUGH________Forward____________________12____________6' - 03"______________185

31. ERIC SPICER__________________Forward___________________ 10____________6' - 04"______________185

;) :p :unsure: :)

This is IUDOGS Signing off.

Last edited:
It's February 22, 2021

CANTON MCKINLEY BOYS BASKETBALL STATS

Canton McKinley - 52
Akron St Vincent St Mary - 59

Kobe Johnson 14 pts, Tae Perie 15 pts, Brent Walker 21 pts, Merhi Smith 2 pts

JV: No Score

:p :) :) ;):unsure::cool:

This is IUDOGS signing off.

It's February 22, 2021

CANTON MCKINLEY BOYS BASKETBALL STATS
Canton McKinley - 45
Canton GlenOak - 40

Kobe Johnson 13 pts, Tae Perie 7 pts, Brent Walker 13 pts, Merhi Smith 3 pts, Jonah Lytle 4 pts, Charles Armstrong 5 pts

JV: NO SCORE

:p :) :) ;):unsure::cool:

This is IUDOGS signing off.

Lets play this game. Basketball is not football. but lets replace a 6'5" 280 lb Right Tackle that has played 7 games. He is not going D1 but he is going to play College Football and he is going to be All NEO and is force at run blocking and good at pass blocking. He goes down for two games and the backup is a 5'11" 240lb soph who has got no meaningful run in Varsity games and is really good at pass blocking but can't run block well. Are you going to keep running behind the inexperienced RT or load up more on the your all state LT? You can still play very well but that little extra something isn't there and you had him playing for a good stretch of games. You have to adjust the game plan and lean on other players. I read this again and should've used an RB/QB where the RB got hurt and no legit backup and now that QB who is capable of throwing is now having to throw 25 plus times when he three less than 10 before and the whole offense changes

No Excuses here they played some tough teams and came up short but imagine how much better your team is whole when you are missing talented players and still competing against top tier teams coming up short. That is why i said what I did. Wait until you see them again at full strength in playoffs against these elite teams where you need two legit perimeter wing defenders to even compete with the big boys
That's a coaches job....getting kids ready to play, or as the saying goes today...."next man up." What happens when the tournament starts and you lose a key player? You gonna pack it in or are you gonna try and prepare that kid to be his best?

Why do you guys continue to engage the Massillon troll? What's your end game?
my end game is the same with them qlas it is with uninformed posters on the McKinley side. so many people on this site should stick to the football forums. i dont care if there was no comments here other than the scores. the opinions from all sides are 98% atrocious. by that meaning not based in any real knowledge of the game just blindly looking at numbers or stats or going to a game and literally not understanding basic strategies. like i said and i will stand by this 98% have zero clue about the game like they think they do. For McKinley and against McKinley. its better for most to keep your mouths shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and leave no doubts

so many people on this site should stick to the football forums. i dont care if there was no comments here other than the scores. the opinions from all sides are 98% atrocious. by that meaning not based in any real knowledge of the game just blindly looking at numbers or stats or going to a game and literally not understanding basic strategies. like i said and i will stand by this 98% have zero clue about the game like they think they do. its better for most to keep your mouths shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and leave no doubts

Two thoughts:
1. Do you understand the purpose of a message/discussion board? and...
2. You choose to engage people in discussion who you believe are stupid and lack basic knowledge?

my end game is the same with them qlas it is with uninformed posters on the McKinley side. so many people on this site should stick to the football forums. i dont care if there was no comments here other than the scores. the opinions from all sides are 98% atrocious. by that meaning not based in any real knowledge of the game just blindly looking at numbers or stats or going to a game and literally not understanding basic strategies. like i said and i will stand by this 98% have zero clue about the game like they think they do. For McKinley and against McKinley. its better for most to keep your mouths shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and leave no doubts
You didn't answer my question. Injuries are a part of the game....have been since the beginning of time. You have two choices when they occur....prepare the replacement to do an adequate job (this should be accomplished over the course of the preseason and regular season) or simply pack it in and make excuses. I think McKinley can make a deep run if....#1 they stay healthy....#2 their bench can step up their play.

Last edited:
Two thoughts:
1. Do you understand the purpose of a message/discussion board? and...
2. You choose to engage people in discussion who you believe are stupid and lack basic knowledge?
I do understand its a discussion if both sides bring something to the discussion not petty jabs and uninformed opinions.
What I try to do is inform the ones with the basic knowledge because they are embarrassing themselves and the schools they are trying to represent.

You didn't answer my question. Injuries are a part of the game....have been since the beginning of time. You have two choices when they occur....prepare the replacement to do an adequate job (this should be accomplished over the course of the preseason and regular season) or simply pack it in and make excuses. I think McKinley can make a deep run if....#1 they stay healthy....#2 their bench can step up their play.
as much as you go back and forth with McKinley fans i have read your posts on your teams threads so i know that you understand your team. i answered your question. when you lose someone who does something better than anyone else or for that matter what no one else can replicate ie size length etc. you spend weeks piecing together replacements and adjusting game plans etc. but you can't replace 6'3" and shooting with 5'11" and defense. it works in some aspects but when you have special talents out of lineup it leaves holes. if you were to watch objectively you would see they havent packed it in at all quite rhe opposite they battle but like i said they may have beat both moeller and svsm with the missing wing because of what he brings. They will make deep run either way cause they are solid and can play multiple ways. if they are full strength they are a top 4 team in D1

I do understand its a discussion if both sides bring something to the discussion not petty jabs and uninformed opinions.
What I try to do is inform the ones with the basic knowledge because they are embarrassing themselves and the schools they are trying to represent.
Good luck and thanks for the help.

It's good to hear McCollough's name again in the game coverage.

McKinley is up big about half way through the 2nd quarter....35-6

35-6 !!!! That's a huge margin. Its been a long time since I heard of such a lop-sided score.

To give up 35 while only scoring 6 - embarrassing.

Last edited:
What happened to Garfield?

Don't know. Do know they only played 10 games this year and they only have 7 players available for the game. The 2nd half is going to have a running clock. I feel bad for the Garfield kids and wish that McKinley had a better 1st round test.