Northwest Ohio Realignment

Not only is Lynn a good source, those docs are straight from Swanton’s BOE website. It’s as legit as it gets. It also notes it’s not a done deal...however, it’s got to be getting closer to get to this point.

If you have Wauseon, Bryan, Archbold, Liberty Center out there (assuming Patrick Henry finally does what they probably should've for some time and moves to greener pastures, BVC more than likely), the small school division looks a hell of a lot more likely, doesn't it? Unless, of course, Maumee's parents continue to complain more about driving 20 minutes than they do about games being out of hand that quickly. Hell, even LC could probably find a better situation (8th team in this Swanton league perhaps, although they seem to want that to be more of an 80/90 league and going down to LC would change that). Bryan, Wauseon, Defiance, Archbold was always what I was told as the most likely 4 small schools, with potentially L-B thrown in there...so this just further clarifies that situation to me if this continues to get moving.

Last edited:
If you have Wauseon, Bryan, Archbold, Liberty Center out there (assuming Patrick Henry finally does what they probably should've for some time and moves to greener pastures, BVC more than likely), the small school division looks a hell of a lot more likely, doesn't it? Unless, of course, Maumee's parents continue to complain more about driving 20 minutes than they do about games being out of hand that quickly. Hell, even LC could probably find a better situation (8th team in this Swanton league perhaps, although they seem to want that to be more of an 80/90 league and going down to LC would change that). Bryan, Wauseon, Defiance, Archbold was always what I was told as the most likely 4 small schools, with potentially L-B thrown in there...so this just further clarifies that situation to me if this continues to get moving.

LC would fit great in the NBC.

This certainly also goes along with the Public/Private split the larger schools are trying to accomplish. Toledo Christian, Stritch, Emmanuel and MVCD are left out to dry.

I know in particular OH and Northwood have not been happy with this dynamic. They have been more than looking forward to breaking up the TAAC for some time, of course for some different reasons. With TC going 8-man along with Emmanuel and MVCD not having football, the league has been very unstable this decade between Gibsonburg and Tiffin Calvert coming and going. Culminate that with the undefeated no playoff appearance a couple of years back, makes sense for Northwood wanting to find greener pastures and potential playoff points in terms of bigger schools and stable schedules. As to OH, they were simply tired of the recruiting going on with the basketball programs within the TAAC. As has been mentioned on the basketball thread, definitely some public shadiness that has gone down and has not gone unnoticed over in OH.

Color me shocked if Montpelier indeed does make this move. Curious as to what makes them think their football product gets any better or for that matter helps their basketball and other sports. No offense, but giving up league drives to Pettisville as your furthest haul does not seem to be in the best interest, along with the gates the Williams County circuit can bring for other sports.

Last edited:
I know in particular OH and Northwood have not been happy with this dynamic. They have been more than looking forward to breaking up the TAAC for some time, of course for some different reasons. With TC going 8-man along with Emmanuel and MVCD not having football, the league has been very unstable this decade.

Color me shocked if Montpelier indeed does make this move. Curious as to what makes them think their football product gets any better or for that matter helps their basketball and other sports. No offense, but giving up league drives to Pettisville as your furthest haul does not seem to be in the best interest, along with the gates the Williams County circuit can bring for other sports.

I guess the one thing I'd counter with is where else would Montpelier's football go? I mean, the fact that they weren't listed as football-only like Edon was is a little interesting, but it's kind of a de facto move for them for football at least IMO if OH and Northwood leave the TAAC...that would be a 4 team football conference then, and that ain't sustainable. I bet leaving out the "football-only" for them was an oversight, it doesn't make any sense for them to move all of their sports out of the BBC for the reasons you listed. Unless they don't have a 6th full member and that's the only way they'd be able to make the conference work.

Really though, if this conference does go through, that's a solid grouping for all involved. Swanton, Evergreen, and Delta get a more competitive environment and OH and Northwood get away from the private schools in the non-football sports while not really adding very difficult drives (80/90 for Airport for Delta and Swanton and Central Ave. for Evergreen)...getting a 6th full member is the problem, and I'm guessing that's why Montpelier would do it...to find a home for football, they have to build one for all of their sports.

Would you really NEED a 6th full time though? That's more of a football thing, so no one has to schedule a game week 6-10. Although Edon as football only makes 7, so that still would apply (unless Hilltop is involved as well for 8).

You'd think 5 teams playing double round robin in basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, etc would work just fine. Especially with the BBC going to single round robin once Holgate joins. Plenty of non league opportunities between the leagues and they could still feel almost like one big 13 team conference.

Would you really NEED a 6th full time though? That's more of a football thing, so no one has to schedule a game week 6-10. Although Edon as football only makes 7, so that still would apply (unless Hilltop is involved as well for 8).

You'd think 5 teams playing double round robin in basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, etc would work just fine. Especially with the BBC going to single round robin once Holgate joins. Plenty of non league opportunities between the leagues and they could still feel almost like one big 13 team conference.

True...I just figured even number, but given that football is the only one that would worry about that, it wouldn't be a hurdle at all actually. Having 7 teams listed makes you wonder if they have a problem getting 8 or would be deciding between two for the 6th team.

I guess the one thing I'd counter with is where else would Montpelier's football go? I mean, the fact that they weren't listed as football-only like Edon was is a little interesting, but it's kind of a de facto move for them for football at least IMO if OH and Northwood leave the TAAC...that would be a 4 team football conference then, and that ain't sustainable. I bet leaving out the "football-only" for them was an oversight, it doesn't make any sense for them to move all of their sports out of the BBC for the reasons you listed. Unless they don't have a 6th full member and that's the only way they'd be able to make the conference work.

Really though, if this conference does go through, that's a solid grouping for all involved. Swanton, Evergreen, and Delta get a more competitive environment and OH and Northwood get away from the private schools in the non-football sports while not really adding very difficult drives (80/90 for Airport for Delta and Swanton and Central Ave. for Evergreen)...getting a 6th full member is the problem, and I'm guessing that's why Montpelier would do it...to find a home for football, they have to build one for all of their sports.
Montpelier and Edon could both stay in the BBC and also join the new conference (whatever it would be called) and play in 2 conferences like Col Grove, Leipsic and Pandora currently do. It can be done. The question becomes, who replaces Swanton, Delta and Evergreen in the NWOAL? Napoleon, BG, Maumee??

Last edited:
Montpelier and Edon could both stay in the BBC and also join the new conference (whatever it would be called) and play in 2 conferences like Col Grove, Leipsic and Pandora currently do. It can be done. The question becomes, who replaces them in the NWOAL? Napoleon, BG, Maumee??

Or...another side to that coin, if PH leaves (which they probably should at that point), why do Maumee, BG, and Napoleon leave the NLL to join a 4 team conference? Bring in Wauseon, Bryan, and Archbold, invite Defiance, Liberty Center joins the NBC, the NWOAL goes the way of the dodo, the NLL gets their 16 team alignment and Bob's your uncle.

Not as crazy as some of you thought a few weeks ago, is it...

It is starting to sound like if the NLL is not successful in creating this smaller division that Maumee and Napoleon are actively looking to leave.

Also hearing that the BVC has 2 teams looking to get out to a smaller conference. (1 of those teams is NOT Vanlue from what I've heard.)

NWC also has a couple changes on the horizon.

I'd imagine we may see these shortly after basketball is officially complete. Some as late as May.

The NWCC commisioner met with the Cory-Rawson school board this week.

Montpelier made a similar presentation as Swanton when they wanted out. They had a more drastic drop in enrollment and hadn’t won a varsity contest(in any sport boys or girls) in almost two years when they asked to leave. Swanton has a couple league championships this school year alone.

Not sure of the veracity of the person tweeting, but this meshes with everything I've heard, down to the teams and everything. If that happens...strap up lol

Lynn Groll runs Black Swamp Football magazine and podcast, he probably has better relationships with 90% of the coaches in NWO than anyone else in sports media. If he posts something, you can place a very safe bet that it came directly from the schools involved

Per an extremely reliable source in the NWOAL/NLL area...

Archbold, Bryan, Defiance, LC, Napoleon, and Wauseon in the NWOAL will be presented to the BOE's this school year.

Swanton, Delta, and Evergreen join OH and Northwood in a new league.

Maumee stays in the NLL and Fremont Ross joins Sandusky to add more spice to their huge rivalry.

Archbold, Bryan, Defiance, LC, Napoleon, and Wauseon in the NWOAL will be presented to the BOE's this school year.

Maumee stays in the NLL and Fremont Ross joins Sandusky to add more spice to their huge rivalry.

I assume PH goes to BVC, Oak Harbor to NBC, and Clay to NLL in that scenario?

Ross in the SBC? I need to go outside and check for pigs flying?

Ross to the SBC would make ¿some? sense if they didn’t get into the NLL but thank you for my daily WTF moment.

Swanton has proposed a league change to the of the Cresent News

FremontKeith, from his headquarters in SoCal, is holding for you on Line 2.

FremontKeith, from his headquarters in SoCal, is holding for you on Line 2.
I'd love to believe it. The Little Giants and Blue Streaks belong in the same league. But as long as Clyde and Bellevue have anything to say about it, that league will not be the SBC.

Ross, Sandusky, Norwalk, and Columbian should hook up and try to find four others interested in a new conference.