D6 2021 Outlook

Insane92

Division 6 should be interesting this year. Expect the MAC to make some noise again in R24 but R22 has some really good teams coming back with Defiance Tinora and my pick for the state championship is in R21 and New Middletown Springfield with Brungard back at QB (also a Mr. Football candidate).

Region 21- Hands down New Middletown Springfield takes this region and my favorite to get a state championship. If you haven't watched Beau Brungard play do yourself a favor and catch one of their games if you can. Third times a charm.

Region 22- I think Defiance Tinora takes this region. They bring back a lot from a young team last year who was honestly a year ahead of what people though. Big physical backs with a returning QB and a lot back on defense.

Region 23- I know Fort Frye lost a lot and some coaching changes in the area such as at Barnesville. Not sure what to expect from this region. Anybody have thoughts?

Region 24- West Jefferson is going to be good with their QB back and that passing game they have. In all honesty the MAC might be down in this region for the firs time in awhile. Ft Recovery and Coldwater lost a lot to graduation but Otten at Coldwater always has them playing well we know. Minster could be a darkhorse with their QB they have coming back and being young last year.

Thoughts anybody else?

R21: New Middletown Springfield. Mr Football candidate at Qb.

R22: I agree with the Tinora pick. CG graduated a ton. Archbold wont go quietly

R23: Fort Frye

R24: Coldwater unless Marion Local gets bumped to D6

State Championship: Springfield over Coldwater

R21: New Middletown Springfield. Mr Football candidate at Qb.

R22: I agree with the Tinora pick. CG graduated a ton. Archbold wont go quietly

R23: Fort Frye

R24: Coldwater unless Marion Local gets bumped to D6

State Championship: Springfield over Coldwater
Does Coldwater have enough coming back to make another run? I thought they lost a lot from the state championship team. You would know more than me haha

Springfield will be very good again but they do lose some very good players. The linecwill be down a bit and they did lose some significant skill and arguably the best kicker in Ohio. They will lean on Brungard more than ever but I don't know if it will be enough.

I believe Fort Frye returns a bunch(could be wrong here) and they gave Springfield everything they wanted last year. They could potentially get to the State title game.

Springfield will be very good again but they do lose some very good players. The linecwill be down a bit and they did lose some significant skill and arguably the best kicker in Ohio. They will lean on Brungard more than ever but I don't know if it will be enough.

I believe Fort Frye returns a bunch(could be wrong here) and they gave Springfield everything they wanted last year. They could potentially get to the State title game.
Fort Frye loses a lot according to their HUDL page. Get back their QB and RBs but looks like just two OL who played last year. They could be good but looks like it depends on the OL.

Does Coldwater have enough coming back to make another run? I thought they lost a lot from the state championship team. You would know more than me haha
We return our entire receiving core sans McKibben and Jay Muhlenkamp. Insert Qb Reece Dellinger and we return the rest of our backfield. We return I believe 3 O linemen.

We return our entire receiving core sans McKibben and Jay Muhlenkamp. Insert Qb Reece Dellinger and we return the rest of our backfield. We return I believe 3 O linemen.
Nice. Sounds like it could be another solid year depending on Dellinger. He a runner like Blasingame was?

Nice. Sounds like it could be another solid year depending on Dellinger. He a runner like Blasingame was?
He is actually more of a pocket passer he has an accurate arm and his decision making had improved. He's not slow by any means and can run if need be. If we need a scrambling QB, Marcel Blasingame is definitely varsity ready. I'd be ok with either starting

I hate to speculate anything at this point, but from everything I have seen & heard, there is somewhat of a chance that Kirtland bumps back down to D6 next season. Will be interesting to see where the Hornets end up. Either smallest school in D5 or largest school in D6.

If things remain status quo, I would name New Middletown Springfield/Mogadore the favorites in R21, Archbold/Tinora in R22, Fort Frye/Fairland in R23, & Coldwater/Mechanicsburg in R24.

I hate to speculate anything at this point, but from everything I have seen & heard, there is somewhat of a chance that Kirtland bumps back down to D6 next season. Will be interesting to see where the Hornets end up. Either smallest school in D5 or largest school in D6.

If things remain status quo, I would name New Middletown Springfield/Mogadore the favorites in R21, Archbold/Tinora in R22, Fort Frye/Fairland in R23, & Coldwater/Mechanicsburg in R24.
Dang, that would absolutely shake things up if that happens.

I don’t know how it works with competitive balance, but isn’t the state using the same base numbers for enrollment next year? I could be way off base for that also.

I don’t know how it works with competitive balance, but isn’t the state using the same base numbers for enrollment next year? I could be way off base for that also.
That's what they said during the srason. They are going to use the 19-20 enrollment figures. I dont think too many teams will be moving.

Region 22- I think Defiance Tinora takes this region. They bring back a lot from a young team last year who was honestly a year ahead of what people though. Big physical backs with a returning QB and a lot back on defense.

This is my pick too but doesn't Colonel Crawford return most of their starters including the absolute stud they had at RB? They probably should have beat Fairview in the playoffs last year, lost on a last second FG and I want to say the RB had nearly 300 yards rushing. They could be tough again this year.

This is my pick too but doesn't Colonel Crawford return most of their starters including the absolute stud they had at RB? They probably should have beat Fairview in the playoffs last year, lost on a last second FG and I want to say the RB had nearly 300 yards rushing. They could be tough again this year.
That RB was a senior. He was a beast though. Also their QB and best WR too on offense.

I've read posts where they won't be re-aligning divisions but then read others that say the state may re-align. It's tough to make predictions with that up in the air, especially with a team like Kirtland.

I agree with many that I would expect a rematch of New Middletown Springfield and Coldwater in the state championship. NM Springfield returns so much talent, especially with their QB. I would probably have them as the favorite in DVI. Coldwater, well, it's Coldwater. They'll be well coached, return enough, and will be well tests as always in the MAC. R22 and R23 should be a little more up in the air. My breakdown would be:

R21: New Middletown Springfield
R22: Defiance Tinora and Archbold. I'm always interested in how Col. Grove rebuilds/reloads.
R23: Fort Frye, maybe Coal Grove in the mix.
R24: Coldwater

3b993b69ba8212e72a3e441b00784b6b.gif

I agree with many that I would expect a rematch of New Middletown Springfield and Coldwater in the state championship. NM Springfield returns so much talent, especially with their QB. I would probably have them as the favorite in DVI. Coldwater, well, it's Coldwater. They'll be well coached, return enough, and will be well tests as always in the MAC. R22 and R23 should be a little more up in the air. My breakdown would be:

R21: New Middletown Springfield
R22: Defiance Tinora and Archbold. I'm always interested in how Col. Grove rebuilds/reloads.
R23: Fort Frye, maybe Coal Grove in the mix.
R24: Coldwater
Unfortunately, Grove loses a dynamic senior class with almost all their studs, except the RB who was impressive last year and is coming back. The offense will revolve around him next year but they definitely take a step back.

Region 22 IMO will be up for grabs between Tinora, Archbold, and my eternal homer pick of Columbus Grove. I have no clue what CC has back, but I thought they were very senior heavy last year and I know arguably their best player on both O and D was a senior, same thing with Northwood and Fairview. Tinora I know will bring back the bulk of their squad, and with the way they played Grove last year, they are already a hard-nosed team. Archbold lost their best WR, stud RB, and best 2-way lineman, but bring back their QB. Liberty Center is also a question mark - always a tough, physical team but if I remember right had a very large, good senior class last year.

Grove is in a very similar spot to Archbold, lost a lot of very good seniors both ways including Reynolds and Clement, but bring back Metzger at RB and Douglas on the O and D line, along with Schafer back at TE and LB. IMO those 3 are already 3 of the best in the region at their positions. Defensively they will lose King on the D-Line and Jones at LB, along with 3/4 of the secondary, but bring back 3/4 of their LB crew that were all sophomores last year. If they can get their line and secondary figured out, they will be in the hunt for the region again.

Outside of Region 22, I'm only really familiar with the MAC region, which seems like it is Coldwater's to lose again. They had some very good seniors in 2020 but also a lot of good sophomores and juniors, and they just know how to rebuild.

I've read posts where they won't be re-aligning divisions but then read others that say the state may re-align. It's tough to make predictions with that up in the air, especially with a team like Kirtland.
The OHSAA put out a memo back during the season that they are going to use the same enrollment numbers as this year for next. Unless they move the minimums everyone should be staying in the same division as this past season.

Archbold has definitely earned the respect to be mentioned as a favorite every year and will be solid next year with Newman doing Newman things but what else do they return? a WR and a couple O-Lineman(2 maybe 3?) They lose both RB's, 4 WR's, their best couple O-linemen, defense is about the same. Things that are working in their favor are a strong incoming Junior class and the region maybe being down a little.

New poster here so be kind...

Agree with Rolly.... Archbold will not be close to the team they were last year losing a tremendous senior class. Returning QB is great but without his top 4 offensive weapons around him (seniors) the offense won't be the same. Another factor not mentioned is the supposed loss of their DC to the Perrysburg staff. When he arrived at Archbold from Patrick Henry a few years back there is no doubt he raised the level of play on the defensive side compared to previous years. Now with that said I expect them to easily crack the top 12 in R22 but I feel regional title contender is a big stretch.

For R22 I agree with others that Tinora should be a contender. I am a bit surprised though that there has been no mention of Carey. They return the majority of their team including the QB, top receiver, entire OL, top LB, etc. They lost by a TD to Colonel Crawford in 1st game of the year and in tourney lost by a TD to Archbold. They followed up that game by taking Tinora to the woodshed. Might want to keep an eye on them in a relatively down region.

Liberty Center is also a question mark - always a tough, physical team but if I remember right had a very large, good senior class last year.
Liberty will return 3 starters on offense and 6 on defense. They will be solid at some spots, the JV's are coming off an undefeated season last year and Freshman only had 1 close loss so we'll see who will step up. One thing that will work against them early in the season is a killer first half of the season:
Weeks 1-5
Tinora
Napoleon
Otsego
Wauseon
Archbold
They might start 1-4 and finish 6-4.

Last edited:
Someone who used to coach in the TAAC said he heard some noise that Northwood might get bumped up to DV. Said some of it may depend on the handful of teams that could possibly leave for 8 man. I know they had a handful of transfers also but I believe most of them lived in the district one way or another.

Division 6 should be interesting this year. Expect the MAC to make some noise again in R24 but R22 has some really good teams coming back with Defiance Tinora and my pick for the state championship is in R21 and New Middletown Springfield with Brungard back at QB (also a Mr. Football candidate).

Region 21- Hands down New Middletown Springfield takes this region and my favorite to get a state championship. If you haven't watched Beau Brungard play do yourself a favor and catch one of their games if you can. Third times a charm.

Region 23- I know Fort Frye lost a lot and some coaching changes in the area such as at Barnesville. Not sure what to expect from this region. Anybody have thoughts?

Region 24- West Jefferson is going to be good with their QB back and that passing game they have. In all honesty the MAC might be down in this region for the firs time in awhile. Ft Recovery and Coldwater lost a lot to graduation but Otten at Coldwater always has them playing well we know. Minster could be a darkhorse with their QB they have coming back and being young last year.

Thoughts anybody else?
It's NMS and then everyone else. That QBis that good