General NFL Chat

I think the resurgence of Myles Garrett has turned that defense around. Linebackers are solid. I believe they had a couple of expected starters out of the secondary all season too.

Clearly not a follower of the Browns. Exactly zero percent of knowledgeable football people agree with the "Linebackers are solid" statement. They were mostly awful, and would not start on most NFL teams. And the secondary was mostly hurt (Ward, Greedy, Delpit). With LB and DB upgrades, this team wins the North next year.

Clearly not a follower of the Browns. Exactly zero percent of knowledgeable football people agree with the "Linebackers are solid" statement. They were mostly awful, and would not start on most NFL teams. And the secondary was mostly hurt (Ward, Greedy, Delpit). With LB and DB upgrades, this team wins the North next year.
Agree, but even if the DBs just stay healthy, we're pretty good there.

Correct, not a follower of the Browns, but not sure their linebackers were that bad. You don't make the playoffs with bad linebacker play. Not sure how much the Browns can upgrade, with cap considerations.

Without question LB was the weakest position on the team and the position of greatest need. The good news is that they run a lot of 4-2-5 so they only need to find two for most situations.

Without question LB was the weakest position on the team and the position of greatest need. The good news is that they run a lot of 4-2-5 so they only need to find two for most situations.

How were Phillips and Wilson, the rookies? Any hope for them as long-term starters or are upgrades needed? I liked Wilson a lot going into the draft and I know a lot were high on Phillips.

How were Phillips and Wilson, the rookies? Any hope for them as long-term starters or are upgrades needed? I liked Wilson a lot going into the draft and I know a lot were high on Phillips.

Wilson was actually in his second year. He came into camp talking like he was Ray Lewis, gave Chubb a concussion, got hurt himself then came back and played like Jerry Lewis. Phillips was just okay. He only played in 9 games so the jury is still out.

Correct, not a follower of the Browns, but not sure their linebackers were that bad. You don't make the playoffs with bad linebacker play. Not sure how much the Browns can upgrade, with cap considerations.
The correct part of your statement is that you are "not sure", which you said twice.

The LBs were awful, lots of Browns fans here watched every minute like I did, and they are all agreeing the the Browns LBs were awful. Did not stop the run, could not cover TE or slots. I am sure.

Also, from our time together on the Reds thread I realize that facts and figures are not your thing, but the Browns have an estimated 23M to 29M of cap space for 2021. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/cap/ Wrong again.

Wilson was actually in his second year. He came into camp talking like he was Ray Lewis, gave Chubb a concussion, got hurt himself then came back and played like Jerry Lewis. Phillips was just okay. He only played in 9 games so the jury is still out.

Philips gets a pass as the coaches like his speed so he can be a possible 3rd down LB but not an every down type of player. Wilson continues the recent trend of 'Bama LBs not quite living up to their hype, I would be surprised if he is on the Browns in 2021. Moving forward I do not expect the team to invest a lot of capitol in the position, the analytics guys just don't believe the position warrants a high level draft pick or big free agency $s. My guess is they try to get a veteran that does one thing well plus a mid to late round pick then rotate the LBs in and out of the line up depending on the situation.

Philips gets a pass as the coaches like his speed so he can be a possible 3rd down LB but not an every down type of player. Wilson continues the recent trend of 'Bama LBs not quite living up to their hype, I would be surprised if he is on the Browns in 2021. Moving forward I do not expect the team to invest a lot of capitol in the position, the analytics guys just don't believe the position warrants a high level draft pick or big free agency $s. My guess is they try to get a veteran that does one thing well plus a mid to late round pick then rotate the LBs in and out of the line up depending on the situation.

It seems like many GMs have that one position where they think they can get away with making it a lower priority. I suspect Berry's is LB and if you have a decent line and decent DBs you can get away with it to some extent, especially when you're playing only 2 LBs as Woods often does. It would be nice to have an OLB/Edge guy on the other side of Garrett.

It seems like many GMs have that one position where they think they can get away with making it a lower priority. I suspect Berry's is LB and if you have a decent line and decent DBs you can get away with it to some extent, especially when you're playing only 2 LBs as Woods often does. It would be nice to have an OLB/Edge guy on the other side of Garrett.
I'm envisioning a big monster in #99 ...

None of the LB's are fast enough to track down Lamar Jackson. Why did the Bills beat the Ravens - because their LB's had speed to catch him on the edge. I do not see the Browns beating Baltimore until this gets fixed.

Eagles trade Wentz to the Colts.

Eagles get a 2021 third-round draft pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first-rounder.

........................................ Wilson continues the recent trend of 'Bama LBs not quite living up to their hype, I would be surprised if he is on the Browns in 2021. ......................................................

What did you expect from a 5th rd pick ? How he do on special teams- that's where 5th rd picks play

The Vikings just released Kyle Rudolph and over on the Bills message board they're going crazy about possibly landing him. Buffalo could really use a veteran TE that is still lethal in the red zone. Given Rudolph is a Cincinnati guy he could do worse then land in Buffalo for a couple years. Maybe even get to a Super Bowl which would be a nice way to cap a great career.

I guess he's a good friend of long time Bills center and Elder alum Eric Wood who would be a good pitch man for the Bills. Wood does Bills color commentary on their radio broadcasts (he's a calmer Dave Lapham type).

Bucs extend Brady for another 4 years>

More of a cap move than anything else but still dude wants to play football until 45.

Bucs extend Brady for another 4 years>

More of a cap move than anything else but still dude wants to play football until 45.

Maybe he wants to pass George Blandas 48 (I think) years...

30yr old Taysom Hill signs 4 yr $130million extension from New Orleans; after laughing I did some digging and it is a salary CAP move by NO with voidable years; although the $9.7mill signing bonus and the $1.4Mill roster bonus with a base of $1 mill guaranteed are real enough.

NFL experience: 134 attempts in 4 years. 809 yds rushing on 151 att

30yr old Taysom Hill signs 4 yr $130million extension from New Orleans; after laughing I did some digging and it is a salary CAP move by NO with voidable years; although the $9.7mill signing bonus and the $1.4Mill roster bonus with a base of $1 mill guaranteed are real enough.

NFL experience: 134 attempts in 4 years. 809 yds rushing on 151 att

Salary cap move, plain and simple. It looks like the Saints will see what happens during the 1st post Breese year, if it is not that bad they make things work. If it tough sledding they will dump a ton of contracts and tank to grab a top notch QB on a rookie deal. I could see the Steelers & Pats doing the same thing.

1615836755637.png

Anybody following this crazy Isaiah Wilson story? Drafted last year in the first round by the Titans. Does so little, gets in trouble with the law and has such a bad attitude that they traded him to the Dolphins last week for a swap of seventh rounders. He gets down there and shows up late for his physical, orientation and workouts so they cut him. What a damn waste.

Giants sign Golladay!

They have to be front runners for the NFC East
What ? G - men going to win 8 games. Don't forget the G - men also signed John Ross. Giants are not going to win anything even the NFL Least with that o - line they have, it's as bad as the Bengals.

Last edited: