Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

My first instinct and guess would be Crager , who people may forget was the HC for a couple games in 2016 { QB dad talking to Crabtree { never was or did play QB anywhere } in the play-offs , where they shut down Davidson 24-3 after losing 7-6 a few weeks before , but then got beat up good by a very good Wayne team and Le Christian Smith { what is he doing now ?has he done much at the next level ? Did Ahmad Wagner who killed them in that 2014 shootout evert do anything in college ?} Anyway , if you have the kind of continuity and consistency they have had as a staff, Crager is the top guy and candidate ? I'm a fan, I don't talk to these men so I can't really know , I hear some things, and some things I have no idea about.

There are some things I have known or had a very good idea about that I would NOT post here unlike some others . I would think that it will generate a bit of outside interest . As much a rebuild as it is and the amount of talent that is leaving this year, it seems it would be a good time for a new person and staff to start 'Building " their own program and culture, BUT I think given the nature of the staff and that it doesn't appear that Crabtree is coaching somewhere else , { Next year anyway} and won't take anyone with him , the staff stays mostly in tact and Crager gets the the promotion .

From January 18th . If Crager gets it , I would say he deserves it and I think he's smart enough to know what needs to be done to shore up a few things that need to be looked at .

I am assuming this info fell through some crack ? At some point ? What changed if you don't mind sharing?

I dont think any info fell through any cracks. I know Duane has talked to a lot of coaches off the record, more of a fact finding deal, but in the end none of them have applied. That has left admin with little options.

I dont think any info fell through any cracks. I know Duane has talked to a lot of coaches off the record, more of a fact finding deal, but in the end none of them have applied. That has left admin with little options.
I was asking because you seemed sure that the coach would NOT be part of the current staff. Ok so the guys Duane might have liked didn't apply. And those who did were not a better choice than Crager. OK .

I was asking because you seemed sure that the coach would NOT be part of the current staff. Ok so the guys Duane might have liked didn't apply. And those who did were not a better choice than Crager. OK .
That is likely the case

I don't believe this to be true. Not making any personal attacks on AHM, I just think there are a lot of options and good candidates on the table. I don't think it is accurate to say " ...has left the admin with little options".

I don't believe this to be true. Not making any personal attacks on AHM, I just think there are a lot of options and good candidates on the table. I don't think it is accurate to say " ...has left the admin with little options".
Definitely agree. Also sounds like a slight of Coach Crager a bit, as a “he may get it by default” kind of thing. If Crager gets the job, he certainly earned it.

Ok. If it makes you feel better to think that go for it.

There are not a lot of good candidates on the table, most of which refuse to interview in front of a committee and even fewer that will take a pay cut (Dublin will max out at 10 years experience on the pay scale and that was a stretch).

coffman (and Jerome for that matter) are left with very few options. Crager is currently well liked by parents. Dublin doesn’t have to hire another teacher. He has head coaching experience. Nothing is final until it passes the March board meeting but it’s very highly likely Crager will be the coach.

You have to take some of AHM's musings with a grain of salt for the obvious fact that going back many years he simply doesn't like the Program and the community for that matter . He will claim indifference of course but over the time I have read his posts there is a decidedly negative vibe to them where the program and community is concerned. I am not judging whether he actually knows what's up or not , he's gone in a few different directions on this since December and I don't know what he knows or not , but he will usually find a way to frame any information in a light that even if slightly denigrates the program and the community and this has been pretty consistent from him over the years .

Ok. If it makes you feel better to think that go for it.

There are not a lot of good candidates on the table, most of which refuse to interview in front of a committee and even fewer that will take a pay cut (Dublin will max out at 10 years experience on the pay scale and that was a stretch).

coffman (and Jerome for that matter) are left with very few options. Crager is currently well liked by parents. Dublin doesn’t have to hire another teacher. He has head coaching experience. Nothing is final until it passes the March board meeting but it’s very highly likely Crager will be the coach.

Any with head coaching experience? I believe Crager is ready and deserving but hard to believe there are no candidates with head coaching experience especially at Coffman. It will be a big jump for him going from a defensive coordinator to the head coach of a big time D1 program.

Any with head coaching experience? I believe Crager is ready and deserving but hard to believe there are no candidates with head coaching experience especially at Coffman. It will be a big jump for him going from a defensive coordinator to the head coach of a big time D1 program.
I don't think the jump will be that big actually. I think he's kind of been even without the title, an 'Associate HC the last handful of years. D- Coordinator in a time where the defense has been very solid and he is the leader of the strength and conditioning program as well. He reminds me of my schools DC who many thought was the best coach we had , the HC was excellent as well but the DC got a HC position a year after I left at a mid sized school at the time { We were D-1 , and present day the schools are in the same division} and he spent the rest of his HOF career there { 35 years { 8 State title game appearances 4 titles} .He was the DC for our programs two state titles and the defense in both of those title games and runs and in the season at large was the key to the team success against the best teams we played who in some cases were bigger and more talented than we were .

The HC was the 'star " and the face of the program and he was a good offensive coach, BUT our DC was probably the better coach and most of us who played for him thought this . I am not saying Crager is a better coach than Crabtree, I am not in the building or at practice, but to me he has been defiantly at least associate HC material . A 1B if you will.

You have to take some of AHM's musings with a grain of salt for the obvious fact that going back many years he simply doesn't like the Program and the community for that matter . He will claim indifference of course but over the time I have read his posts there is a decidedly negative vibe to them where the program and community is concerned. I am not judging whether he actually knows what's up or not , he's gone in a few different directions on this since December and I don't know what he knows or not , but he will usually find a way to frame any information in a light that even if slightly denigrates the program and the community and this has been pretty consistent from him over the years .

you can take me with a grain of salt. Or you can say I hate Dublin (I don’t) or you can just believe I have no idea what I’m talking about. I don’t care.

Crager is going to be the coach

you can take me with a grain of salt. Or you can say I hate Dublin (I don’t) or you can just believe I have no idea what I’m talking about. I don’t care.

Crager is going to be the coach

You've more than earned that grain of salt no question abut that I could pull up dozens of examples including 2 personal ones involving me and my kids that were pathetic and bullchit that I haven't forgotten and that speaks to your character or lack thereof. Hate? OK may be too strong , BUT come on man. You know the truth here. I said from the beginning I thought Crager was going to get the job most likely but of course you poo pooed that idea at first. Thanks for the" scoop ". You said the job was very unlikely to go a current member of the staff not too long ago , now you're saying one definitely has the job . So taking it with a grain was warranted I guess. Not before as always kind of taking a passively aggressive swipe at the 'limited " interest and options the program has.

I also didn't say you didn't have any idea of what you are talking about, but I can question it certainly .

Last edited:
It's what the current players, parents, teachers, and pretty much everyone associated with DC football want. Mr. Sheldon has very busy asking players, parents, teachers, and trainers what their thoughts are on Crager and hiring an outside coach.

Crager is doing a very good job of running the winter weight training. The first quarterback club meeting was last week, Crager and Crabtree were both present. The schedule is complete, one more scrimmage is needed. Should have the coach named by March 11th or 12th at the latest.

You've more than earned that grain of salt no question abut that I could pull up dozens of examples including 2 personal ones involving me and my kids that were pathetic and bullchit that I haven't forgotten and that speaks to your character or lack thereof. Hate? OK may be too strong , BUT come on man. You know the truth here. I said from the beginning I thought Crager was going to get the job most likely but of course you poo pooed that idea at first. Thanks for the" scoop ". You said the job was very unlikely to go a current member of the staff not too long ago , now you're saying one definitely has the job . So taking it with a grain was warranted I guess. Not before as always kind of taking a passively aggressive swipe at the 'limited " interest and options the program has.

I also didn't say you didn't have any idea of what you are talking about, but I can question it certainly .

dude. I don’t know who you are so I’m sure I don’t take shots at your kids.

the admin thought the job would generate a lot more genuine interest than it did. They would have loved to hire a credible coach with a strong reputation and a good record. No one of that ilk has applied let alone will interview. Let me repeat: this was a complete surprise for Coffman administaration.

rowdy rocks is correct: next coach will be official at March board meeting.

the admin thought the job would generate a lot more genuine interest than it did. They would have loved to hire a credible coach with a strong reputation and a good record. No one of that ilk has applied let alone will interview. Let me repeat: this was a complete surprise for Coffman administaration.

Is Crager the only one interviewing?

Didn’t say YOU knew me . That wasn’t what I said . I could find the posts where you post supposed coaches thoughts on the forum and my posts abs that what I said about kids academic history and stature was false or that you were going to find out (. Pathetic ). Refusing to interview ? Multiple people who are even somewhat interested ? Scared of a panel or committee interview ? May be no one is interested . . I do know hearing from you on a consistent basis in these spaces isn’t a positive development whatsoever . Hey wait I thought you said you didn’t care what I thought ? I do know this . I meant it when I said I couldn’t care less what any coach thinks about my posts here . You seemed to delight in informing what a coach thought as if it mattered . I respect the Coffman staff and have been very fair . If they think what I post suks ? Couldn’t care less .

Last edited:
Didn’t say YOU knew me . That wasn’t what I said . I could find the posts where you post supposed coaches thoughts on the forum and my posts abs that what I said about kids academic history and stature was false or that you were going to find out (. Pathetic ). Refusing to interview ? Multiple people who are even somewhat interested ? Scared of a panel or committee interview ? May be now one is interested . . I do know hearing from you on a consistent basis in these spaces isn’t a positive development whatsoever . Hey wait I thought you said you didn’t care what I thought ? I do know this . I meant it when I said I couldn’t care less what any coach thinks about my posts here . You seemed to think informing what a coach thought mattered . I respect the Coffman staff and have been very fair . If they think what I post suks ? Couldn’t care less .

i don’t really understand what you are saying.

I don’t know how or when they set up interviews. But I know Crager is going to be the head coach.

i don’t really understand what you are saying.

I don’t know how or when they set up interviews. But I know Crager is going to be the head coach.

I heard Westerville South Head Coach Matt Christ interviewed for the job this week and it would be hard to argue that Crager has a better resume than him.

I heard Westerville South Head Coach Matt Christ interviewed for the job this week and it would be hard to argue that Crager has a better resume than him.
Makes sense, If I'm right I think coach christ was also at jerome the first year they opened. could see his name pop up if he doesn't get the coffman job

Makes sense, If I'm right I think coach christ was also at jerome the first year they opened. could see his name pop up if he doesn't get the coffman job
In my opinion, Coach Christ has about a .00001 chance of getting this job. Not a knock on him, don’t know a whole lot about him, but flat out saying his resume is better than Crager’s? I don’t really see it. Christ has more recent HC experience, that’s about it. He had a great season this year, including a great comeback against Massillon to make it a game.

Christ was at Jerome in 2011 { The school opened 7 years before that } CO defensive coordinator , was associate HC , DC LB WR coach at Grandview 2012- to 2017 before taking over at South . Very good young coach who probably has a bit more work to do at South . May be South is the better job, AHM has pointed out that no one of note or accomplishment is really interested in the Coffman job and the reasons it stinks and why they won't even interview for it., so my guess is he stays where he is .

Christ was at Jerome in 2011 { The school opened 7 years before that } CO defensive coordinator , was associate HC , DC LB WR coach at Grandview 2012- to 2017 before taking over at South . Very good young coach who probably has a bit more work to do at South . May be South is the better job, AHM has pointed out that no one of note or accomplishment is really interested in the Coffman job and the reasons it stinks and why they won't even interview for it., so my guess is he stays where he is .

Interviews have just now been scheduled today....No one interviewed yet.

Interviews have just now been scheduled today....No one interviewed yet.

this is factually not true. More than 1 candidate has already officially interviewed as part of the first round. Not phone conversations to gauge interest. Official interviews

It's what the current players, parents, teachers, and pretty much everyone associated with DC football want. Mr. Sheldon has very busy asking players, parents, teachers, and trainers what their thoughts are on Crager and hiring an outside coach.

Crager is doing a very good job of running the winter weight training. The first quarterback club meeting was last week, Crager and Crabtree were both present. The schedule is complete, one more scrimmage is needed. Should have the coach named by March 11th or 12th at the latest.
you never let the inmates run the asylum

In my opinion, Coach Christ has about a .00001 chance of getting this job. Not a knock on him, don’t know a whole lot about him, but flat out saying his resume is better than Crager’s? I don’t really see it. Christ has more recent HC experience, that’s about it. He had a great season this year, including a great comeback against Massillon to make it a game.

So now compare that to ..

(List/record of past West Jefferson coaches since 1985)

Dave Metz (1985-1997)
Record: 102-33-0
3 League Championships
5 Playoff Appearances

Rich Haskins (1998)
Record: 10-1-0
1 League Championship
1 Playoff Appearance

Jami Masi (1999)
Record: 6-4-0

Curtis Crager (2000-2001)
Record: 3-17

Shawn Buescher (2002-Present)
Record: 110-53
6 League Championships
8 Playoff Appearances
Division V Central District Coach of the Year 2006
Central District Football Coaches Association Coach of the Year 2006,07,09
District 14 Sportsmanship and Integrity Award 2009
Mid-State League Coach of the Year 2006-07-08-09-10-13
1 Regional Championship
6 Regional Runner-Up

The only head coach in several decades to have a losing record at West Jeff at 3-17. Again, not saying Crager isn't deserving for continuity purposes but yes Christ's resume is much better I don't care how long he has been an assistant at Coffman, it is different when it is YOUR program.

So now compare that to ..

(List/record of past West Jefferson coaches since 1985)

Dave Metz (1985-1997)
Record: 102-33-0
3 League Championships
5 Playoff Appearances

Rich Haskins (1998)
Record: 10-1-0
1 League Championship
1 Playoff Appearance

Jami Masi (1999)
Record: 6-4-0

Curtis Crager (2000-2001)
Record: 3-17

Shawn Buescher (2002-Present)
Record: 110-53
6 League Championships
8 Playoff Appearances
Division V Central District Coach of the Year 2006
Central District Football Coaches Association Coach of the Year 2006,07,09
District 14 Sportsmanship and Integrity Award 2009
Mid-State League Coach of the Year 2006-07-08-09-10-13
1 Regional Championship
6 Regional Runner-Up

The only head coach in several decades to have a losing record at West Jeff at 3-17. Again, not saying Crager isn't deserving for continuity purposes but yes Christ's resume is much better I don't care how long he has been an assistant at Coffman, it is different when it is YOUR program.
Guess it depends on the interviewer(s) and what they value more. In the case of Coffman, I would argue that Crager’s resume is better. If the two were applying elsewhere, probably a different story.
Certainly no knock on Christ, still sticking with his .00001 chance.