Elder Basketball 2020-2021

For the gazillionth time, they’re not shooting as well because they’re not getting as good of shots. Throw out the stats against the lower level teams they’ve played.

Reality check - a lot harder to make shots with guys in your face. Better teams have better dudes.

On another note, Aidan Schneider is good. He shouldn’t have to play in the horrible junk system Goedde calls basketball. Is it just me or does he seem really arrogant for a guy who hasn’t won anything? Maybe I’m mistaken.

Season starts in the Sectional finals for the Panthers. But impressive to share GCL title this year.

Everyone still think the Elder D is fine? They allowed 18 Points in 1 qt to the worst team in the League. UCArch the Coaches don’t piss and moan as much as you do about the draw process. Why should any GCL Coach jump in with Moeller to play them 3 times before its absolutely necessary? I still think Elder wins 3 Games max in Tournament. Not shooting all that well as of late and subpar D imo.

Elders D isn’t that bad. It’s not great either. Saying that, they’re not going to win tournament games on the defensive end.

They need to find a way to speed games up.

Everyone still think the Elder D is fine? They allowed 18 Points in 1 qt to the worst team in the League. UCArch the Coaches don’t piss and moan as much as you do about the draw process. Why should any GCL Coach jump in with Moeller to play them 3 times before its absolutely necessary? I still think Elder wins 3 Games max in Tournament. Not shooting all that well as of late and subpar D imo.
They stopped Lovett in transition after the 1st Q. I more worried about their Offense.

Felt like Elder was out of sync on Offense all night. Larkins getting in foul trouble didn’t help. However, even before he was in foul trouble they didn’t get him the ball enough, nobody on LS could guard him in the post. Also, Carson Browne needs to get more minutes with the end of the JV season. He’s a legitimate stretch Forward that can post up and shoot the ball from the outside.

Side Note JV went undefeated and Frosh finished 2nd in the GCL.

The current Soph class across the GCL seems kinda weak. Elder probably has the best 2 Sophs in the League (Browne & Whitmer), but I’m not sure who else will be a contributor next yr for Varsity. Maybe Vaughn and Tieman?

There’s a few solid Guards on the Frosh team, Murphy & Johnson might get to dress for Varsity next year. The Moeller Frosh are head & shoulders above everyone in that grade and the other 3 are about the same. They’re probably better than any of the JV classes right now. In 2 years, it won’t even be close.

Last edited:
Unless Moe goes out and picks up some stud transfers, Elder will be the consensus pick to take GCL next year:

They will have the best roster of returning players plus adding Browne and Whitmer full time and I don’t think it’s close. Again, dependent upon how far Moe or X goes to get upgraded talent.

Plus Elder also has the best JV talent of the GCL schools to fill in the remaining parts of the roster. They pretty much dominated the JV level. It could be any number of kids to improve and develop into varsity contributors. Varsity may be even better next year.

Not to sure if you remember but elder beat Moellor and X the first time they played and were down 2 to X at half the second and beating Moe at half the second. Just making sure you didn’t forget.

They’re capable of beating anyone. However, if you’ve seen them play the last month, they’ve fallen off quite a bit. LS is not very good, and outside of Lovett and Schneider, I don’t think anyone on their team would play at the other 3 GCL schools. They’ve taken Elder to OT twice.

It’s not necessary to panic, but you cannot be totally confident they get to Dayton right now.

I will say again - Aidan Schneider is too good to be playing in that junk system. Is he playing in college?

Unless Moe goes out and picks up some stud transfers, Elder will be the consensus pick to take GCL next year:

They will have the best roster of returning players plus adding Browne and Whitmer full time and I don’t think it’s close. Again, dependent upon how far Moe or X goes to get upgraded talent.

Plus Elder also has the best JV talent of the GCL schools to fill in the remaining parts of the roster. They pretty much dominated the JV level. It could be any number of kids to improve and develop into varsity contributors. Varsity may be even better next year.
X doesn’t take mid-HS transfers— unless they went to a Jesuit school somewhere else, and then transferred into Cincinnati.

Did not know that.
There was one exception (that I know of)-- kid from Moeller, was a QB-- he had (in the opinion of Moeller fans, alums, students, apparently) a very bad junior year playing QB for Moeller-- and, as a result, he was getting harassed pretty seriously at school; so the Moeller administration (and the kid's family) contacted X to see if he could transfer for his senior year to X. Normally, that kind of transfer would never be allowed (into X)-- but X's administration thought that the special circumstances around the situation merited special consideration-- so they agreed to allow the transfer. As a rule, X does not want students who did not spend 4 years (at X, or at least at another Jesuit HS) getting a degree from X.

Elders D isn’t that bad. It’s not great either. Saying that, they’re not going to win tournament games on the defensive end.

They need to find a way to speed games up.

When the Shots are not falling, will need great D and FT Shooting to win some Tournament Games.

Never known Goedde to be arrogant. Just playing the “Style” he always has/knows?

When the Shots are not falling, will need great D and FT Shooting to win some Tournament Games.

Never known Goedde to be arrogant. Just playing the “Style” he always has/knows?

Just a hunch - I’m probably misreading it.

Also heard good things about him. Not a fan of the style however.

Just a hunch - I’m probably misreading it.

Also heard good things about him. Not a fan of the style however.
doesn't he coach the same style as the whole gcl?

you don't know goedde very well...........he won a state championship at lasalle already.

jtk
()

doesn't he coach the same style as the whole gcl?

you don't know goedde very well...........he won a state championship at lasalle already.

jtk
()

Goedde won a state title as a head coach? News to me.

On offense, Elder and Moe have gotten away from some of the slow down tactics. I don’t know that X really used it. I’m not a fan when part of your strategy to play basketball is to not play basketball.

Now on defense, they all still hold, tackle, grab, push, slap and use two hands. Not sure why the refs allow it so much.

Side Note JV went undefeated and Frosh finished 2nd in the GCL.

The current Soph class across the GCL seems kinda weak. Elder probably has the best 2 Sophs in the League (Browne & Whitmer), but I’m not sure who else will be a contributor next yr for Varsity. Maybe Vaughn and Tieman?

There’s a few solid Guards on the Frosh team, Murphy & Johnson might get to dress for Varsity next year. The Moeller Frosh are head & shoulders above everyone in that grade and the other 3 are about the same. They’re probably better than any of the JV classes right now. In 2 years, it won’t even be close.

I think Elder would be the favorites in the GCL next year. They will lose 5 srs this year. As far as current sophs they are loaded. Browne will be starting next year, Whitmer has a good chance to as well, or at least getting a lot of playing time.

It will be tough to pick the other 5 who make the team? Vaughn, Tieman, Gutekunst, Schoester, and Flowers would be my guess. I would think Ty Johnson would dress Varsity and Play JV kind of like Whitmer does this year.

The future is bright for Elder Hoops!!!

I think Elder would be the favorites in the GCL next year. They will lose 5 srs this year. As far as current sophs they are loaded. Browne will be starting next year, Whitmer has a good chance to as well, or at least getting a lot of playing time.

It will be tough to pick the other 5 who make the team? Vaughn, Tieman, Gutekunst, Schoester, and Flowers would be my guess. I would think Ty Johnson would dress Varsity and Play JV kind of like Whitmer does this year.

Saying they’re loaded seems like a stretch. They’re really good, but the rest of the GCL is pretty weak for that class. Other than Whitmer & Browne, the only Soph at plays up on Varsity at all is DeCurtains at X.

Take Browne and Whitmer out of the equation, those two are locks to make and probably even start next year.

From what I’ve heard from multiple people of everyone else on JV, they’re all pretty decent players, with some having better skills and some having better physical maturity and athleticism. There wasn’t a drastic drop off from the top to the bottom of the roster, which is good for competition in the offseason.

In order to make the team next year, you have to continue to develop or kids will pass you up. That’s a good thing. It will probably be a developmental year for all of these remaining kids anyway with the junior players returning and Browne and Whitmer playing a bigger role on varsity. So in essence I don’t really think it matters much next year. It will be more important to have those kids develop to help round out their senior year team.

There seems to be more of a drop off and not as consistent level of talent with the freshman squad.

Last edited:

I think Tieman and Gutekunst will make the team and play provided they try-out. The other 3 will depend on how they view basketball compared to the other sports they play - Schoester has started QB for their grade through 2 seasons. Flowers started at safety in football. I've heard Vaughn is a great catcher in baseball.

From the Frosh, the big OH transfer could play due to his size. Murphy, Johnson and Brass could all dress depending on need.

I think Tieman and Gutekunst will make the team and play provided they try-out. The other 3 will depend on how they view basketball compared to the other sports they play - Schoester has started QB for their grade through 2 seasons. Flowers started at safety in football. I've heard Vaughn is a great catcher in baseball.

From the Frosh, the big OH transfer could play due to his size. Murphy, Johnson and Brass could all dress depending on need.

This is a good point - a lot of multi sport kids who are very good at their other sport(s).

I had heard the current incoming 8th grade is one of the worst for basketball. Of course I’ve also heard that for the current sophomore and freshman classes too and they seem to be doing just fine.

Visi is down so I think people assume they won’t be good.

I have heard that Lourdes 8th Grade is having an outstanding season. All those kids end up at Elder?

Lourdes is loaded this year and I would think they are one of the favorites to win city. Cameron Williams is going to Elder, and one of the best players in the league. Walters is also one of the best in the league and is headed to Summit.

Visi only probably has one kid who will play basketball in HS Wassler, who is headed to X as far as I know. The rest of Visi's kids are football players

Lourdes, Victory. and Jude are the best on the westside this yr.

Lourdes is loaded this year and I would think they are one of the favorites to win city. Cameron Williams is going to Elder, and one of the best players in the league. Walters is also one of the best in the league and is headed to Summit.

Visi only probably has one kid who will play basketball in HS Wassler, who is headed to X as far as I know. The rest of Visi's kids are football players

Lourdes, Victory. and Jude are the best on the westside this yr.
Walters is going to Summit? Why? That’s a waste. And you should know by now, where the Catholic grade school kids end up isn’t all there is to the story.

There’s a good chance he’s starting as a Soph on Varsity for Football. Not sure if he’ll stick with Bball.

The JV squad just went undefeated and you’re going to potentially dress 4 freshman? Why?

I don’t see anyone on that freshman team making a varsity leap. They’re nowhere in the vicinity of where Browne or Whitmer were last year. Plus there’s not really a need. The program is pretty deep with players.

The JV squad just went undefeated and you’re going to potentially dress 4 freshman? Why?

I don’t see anyone on that freshman team making a varsity leap. They’re nowhere in the vicinity of where Browne or Whitmer were last year. Plus there’s not really a need. The program is pretty deep with players.

Johnson would be the only kid who I think would "dress" next yr for varsity, and maybe get in in mop up time like Whitmer did this year. Keep them at the JV level and let them progress from there.