2021 valley view spartans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot imagine valley view getting rid of these three very successful coaches because of some whining. It must go deeper than that. I’d like to know the whole story!

Cliff notes version: Essentially there was a survey sent to player’s families at the end of their season. Some info gathered in the survey didn’t show greatly on the OC and DC. The board did not want to see them coaching next season due to the info gathered. The head coach then disagreed with the findings and school board’s decision. He stood by his coaches and ultimately found himself to be responsible as the head coach. He then submitted his resignation rather than continue coaching with how this decision was made. The community had a large turnout at the next board meeting to rally behind the coaches. Despite that turnout, the board continued with their plans. Now VV is looking for a new head coach.

I find it tough to have a strong opinion simply because I’m not fully in on the particulars of the finding of the board. I do think that Coach Skid is a very good man and everything I’ve ever heard of him has been glowing. He’s been at VV for decades.

Skid has been coaching for 30+ years and VV and it’s sad to see him go. I respect him before and respect him even more for standing up for the coaches. It’s sad to see parents get involved but I’m not connected like I use to be. Hopefully, with the talent VV has coming up, I hope they get coaches that can keep the offense similar to what it was. Last thought, does this affect the DC job as head coach of basketball?

Cliff notes version: Essentially there was a survey sent to player’s families at the end of their season. Some info gathered in the survey didn’t show greatly on the OC and DC. The board did not want to see them coaching next season due to the info gathered. The head coach then disagreed with the findings and school board’s decision. He stood by his coaches and ultimately found himself to be responsible as the head coach. He then submitted his resignation rather than continue coaching with how this decision was made. The community had a large turnout at the next board meeting to rally behind the coaches. Despite that turnout, the board continued with their plans. Now VV is looking for a new head coach.

I find it tough to have a strong opinion simply because I’m not fully in on the particulars of the finding of the board. I do think that Coach Skid is a very good man and everything I’ve ever heard of him has been glowing. He’s been at VV for decades.
This stinks. I'm sure he will land somewhere locally and come back to bite Valley View in the rear. Madison is looking for a coach.
Best of luck to those young men playing at the View, though.

Wow! All of this is mind blowing to me. So if I read this correctly it sounds like several parents gave bad reviews on the asst coaches. Then even more parents showed up in droves to support the coaches. When parents are running the show it usually goes south in a hurry. The best interest for the kids and the program should have been the concern. Sounds like someone had an ax to grind. Kudos to Skid for standing by his coaches (unless there was foul play). Long gone are the days where loyalty matters.

Wow

Attachments

• 152E42A8-B7F1-453F-8D13-12F2CE6865D0.png
    152E42A8-B7F1-453F-8D13-12F2CE6865D0.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 6F904097-45E4-49C5-8A19-97FAFF451554.jpeg
    6F904097-45E4-49C5-8A19-97FAFF451554.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 90
Will all of this prevent some VV alumni from applying? Will it stop current assistants from applying? All of this could really limit their applicants.

Wow! All of this is mind blowing to me. So if I read this correctly it sounds like several parents gave bad reviews on the asst coaches. Then even more parents showed up in droves to support the coaches. When parents are running the show it usually goes south in a hurry. The best interest for the kids and the program should have been the concern. Sounds like someone had an ax to grind. Kudos to Skid for standing by his coaches (unless there was foul play). Long gone are the days where loyalty matters.

Reading between the lines, this seems logical to me as well. Coaches weren't given opportunities to improve or to change what was found. That's probably the part that feels the most difficult to stomach.

From a pure football perspective, I do think this hurts the program overall. Not just from losing a head coach with a lot of experience, or how this was handled, I think both coordinators were good at coaching their specialty. I personally think the OC was outstanding. He did a lot to help kids get exposure to recruiting for one. He also was very detailed with how he coached the offense and on how he coached each player personally. I expected him to eventually be a potential head coach at VV in the future. The DC coached one of the stronger classes, the current Soph more class, when they were in middle school. Many in the community pointed towards that group as being the next great VV class. That also feels a little empty now losing him as they hit their two prime years in football.

At VV, many in the community get blinded by those state championships in the 90's. So every season they think it's a chance for another state title. But since Jay Niswonger left, the teams that actually have state championship quality teams have been few and far between. BUT, with that being said, the past 4-5 years have produced some of the best VV teams in the past 15 years. Teams that are building towards state championship type runs. Those were under Coach Stid and these two coordinators. You could make an argument that the VV team that lost to CM in 2017 (20-28), was the third best team in the state. The winner of that CM/VV game felt like they would play for state, which Clinton Massie did, ultimately losing to Steubenville. The 2019 VV team was one of the better teams in DIV that season. Beating both Roger Bacon and CM before losing to eventual state champion Wyoming. And I think you can argue that the 2020 VV team was one of the better teams in DIV losing in the Regional Final to Wyoming in 2OTs. From my perspective, the program was actually meeting higher standards on the field recently, has a great class heading towards their junior season, and now will lose what many view, are very quality coaches.

Last edited:
Skid has been coaching for 30+ years and VV and it’s sad to see him go. I respect him before and respect him even more for standing up for the coaches. It’s sad to see parents get involved but I’m not connected like I use to be. Hopefully, with the talent VV has coming up, I hope they get coaches that can keep the offense similar to what it was. Last thought, does this affect the DC job as head coach of basketball?

In fairness, the board is the problem. They're the ones that sent out the survey. If you go searching for problems and unhappy people, most likely you will find them. It's one think to do a survey. It's another to use it for deciding whether you retain your coaching staff or not.

I have always openly supported the school district, voted for and advocated for levies, and defended the current school board ... that said, this was beyond my comprehension. To watch the school board meeting, see the support for these coaches, and then have the board and administration completely ignore the community was baffling. Coach Skidmore and his coordinators deserved better

Will the VV community embrace him? From the outside, it seems like a tight knit community that wants one of their own to run their football program.
Well they just ran off three of their own. I'm fairly certain the OC and DC were former players during the state championship years in the 90's and Skidmore has been there for 30+ years.

Do the coaches get an evaluation at the end of each season. I know they do at other schools. Unless something went majorly wrong they were able to improve on their weaknesses. How can these coaches, who accomplished so much, be ran out because of a parent survey. I call BS. If they aren’t careful football will look like every other sport where parents take over outside programs and high school doesn’t even matter any more. Football is the one pure sport left in high school. Sounds like a bad move by the community and by the board. VV has a great sophomore class and a lot of talent in other classes too. It’s a shame they have been raised in this program and now it’s going to get flipped upside down on them.

This stinks. I'm sure he will land somewhere locally and come back to bite Valley View in the rear. Madison is looking for a coach.

I would think Skid is close to retirement since he’s been at VV for 30+ years. May not want to start over at his age. If he does, best of luck to him.

Madison looking for their third head coach in three years. They really had a chance to build off their playoff success and have torn that apart already.

Do the coaches get an evaluation at the end of each season. I know they do at other schools. Unless something went majorly wrong they were able to improve on their weaknesses. How can these coaches, who accomplished so much, be ran out because of a parent survey. I call BS. If they aren’t careful football will look like every other sport where parents take over outside programs and high school doesn’t even matter any more. Football is the one pure sport left in high school. Sounds like a bad move by the community and by the board. VV has a great sophomore class and a lot of talent in other classes too. It’s a shame they have been raised in this program and now it’s going to get flipped upside down on them.
I hope valley view does find the right coach. Bull crap what happen. Also Where the heck you been past 15 plus years? Football nothing but politics. From peewee all the way up to the nfl. There parents that offer money, job, whatever else you can think of for little Johnny start or if you have a certain last name. Anyway if Childers does get the coach’s me change d to a 3-3-5 and spread and go away from the ver how would valley view respond to that?

Do you think that Madison has the football genetics that VV does? Not close in my humble opinion.

Must be bad in your neck of the woods but where I’m from the coach doesn’t get into the politics.
Lol it is right now for about 5-6 years now. I’m just saying even if it isn’t the head coach there always a coach our parents doing it tad bit. I’m not going to mention who or what but I know people that been offer things to move across the state or to different high schools that close by to play football or wrestle. I respect what Clinton massie and Dan been doing and from what I heard that he does from k-8 every single head coach for any high school should be doing something similar.

Do you think that Madison has the football genetics that VV does? Not close in my humble opinion.
So, I don't believe that. Before Niswonger came to VV, they stunk. After Hetrick, Versailles wasn't the same. After Magoteaux, Milton was not the same. I don't think there is more genetics at Valley View than anywhere else. Look at Clinton Massie, before McSurley they weren't anything. He comes to town and they are a juggernaut. It's coaching my friend. The MAC is the exception to the rule. Genetics is a huge player there. Just not in Germantown. Jimmy's and Joes go so far, then it's coaching.

That Super will be gone before the schools will be built, The 7 th grade team has not lost in football and once in Basketball this year, these kids can rumble lead by a school boards son.....

So, I don't believe that. Before Niswonger came to VV, they stunk. After Hetrick, Versailles wasn't the same. After Magoteaux, Milton was not the same. I don't think there is more genetics at Valley View than anywhere else. Look at Clinton Massie, before McSurley they weren't anything. He comes to town and they are a juggernaut. It's coaching my friend. The MAC is the exception to the rule. Genetics is a huge player there. Just not in Germantown. Jimmy's and Joes go so far, then it's coaching.
Well stated and great examples.

VV won back to back league titles in ‘82 and ‘83. Brent Nance was the coach and left to go to Monroe. That’s when Jay came in.

Every school has athletes. It just takes the right coach with a plan and a vision to make teams better. The problem in this day and age is it takes time to put that plan into place. A lot of schools under pressure from the parents don’t want to give them that time.

VV won back to back league titles in ‘82 and ‘83. Brent Nance was the coach and left to go to Monroe. That’s when Jay came in.

Every school has athletes. It just takes the right coach with a plan and a vision to make teams better. The problem in this day and age is it takes time to put that plan into place. A lot of schools under pressure from the parents don’t want to give them that time.
Agreed. Milton has changed alot since the 70s when we were so dominant in the SWBL. THE 80s started to see change due to losing our coach to Piqua. The 85, 86 and 87 classes at MU were great but the varsity coach was a moron. When we got Brett Pearce in 2000, he started changing things. But the kids are still very different. Milton used to graduate 200 kids a class and now they are about 130. Our win over Versailles in 82 should've given us enough points to make the playoffs. It wasn't. We missed out to St Marys and Urbana. D3 was tough back then.
Jay was the difference for VV. Nance capitalized on Tipp, Greenville and Milton leaving the conference in 1982. Had those three been in it, no way VV would've won it. In my opinion. Our 82 team was undefeated from 4th grade until their senior year. Never lost a game. They were unscored upon in Junior High. Class of 84, we never lost to Valley View. That would've been the 83 season.

Last edited:
Agreed. Milton has changed alot since the 70s when we were so dominant in the SWBL. THE 80s started to see change due to losing our coach to Piqua. The 85, 86 and 87 classes at MU were great but the varsity coach was a moron. When we got Brett Pearce in 2000, he started changing things. But the kids are still very different. Milton used to graduate 200 kids a class and now they are about 130. Our win over Versailles in 82 should've given us enough points to make the playoffs. It wasn't. We missed out to St Marys and Urbana. D3 was tough back then.
Jay was the difference for VV. Nance capitalized on Tipp, Greenville and Milton leaving the conference in 1982. Had those three been in it, no way VV would've won it. In my opinion. Our 82 team was undefeated from 4th grade until their senior year. Never lost a game. They were unscored upon in Junior High. Class of 84, we never lost to Valley View. That would've been the 83 season.

I think a game between VV and MU in ‘82 would have been a classic. VV went 9-1 over, only loss was to Springboro 7-0. Springboro went undefeated that year and had a running back named Geg Baker who rushed for over 2000 yards. VV held him to 82 on 30+ carries. VV was loaded with athletes all over the field. If I remember correctly I think the defense only gave up around 20 points for the year

I think a game between VV and MU in ‘82 would have been a classic. VV went 9-1 over, only loss was to Springboro 7-0. Springboro went undefeated that year and had a running back named Geg Baker who rushed for over 2000 yards. VV held him to 82 on 30+ carries. VV was loaded with athletes all over the field. If I remember correctly I think the defense only gave up around 20 points for the year
Could be. Milton beat Versailles 8-0 after giving up 192 yds of offense to Versailles. We had 80 yards of offense. That never happened to Versailles in those days. They had a RB, Eric Paulus, who was 6'2 225lbs that Milton totally shut down
We also whipped Miami East, who at that time, was a powerhouse. They were undefeated as well and we won 35-7. We beat up Greenon, D2 at that time, Brookville and Oakwood in ooc games easily. That MU team was loaded as well but being D3 and Valley View being D4, I'd give the nod to Milton. I believe the year before in 1981, that Milton team blew-out Valley View 47-22. I'd have to look up the actual score. Remember, that was at the trail end of a run of Milton talent that brought home 8 out of 10 SWBL titles, 3 undefeated seasons and numerous All State award winners. Our LB in 82, Steve Huffman, 6'3 220lbs, went on to Toledo on a full ride and was all-MAC three years in a row. I'd say giving up 190 yards to Versailles and holding them scoreless was pretty impressive as well.

Until the last decade or so, the Madison football program has had very little success. Up until around 2010, they had only had a handful of winning seasons in school history and I'm pretty sure they had never won a league title. Bottom line, when it comes to football it's not even close between VV and Madison.

Status
Not open for further replies.