Watkins Memorial HC

Colt1654

Where does Watkins look for their next head football coach? Anyone on current staff that would make sense?

Look north to Knox County. There’s a WM alum coaching who, IMO, deserves an interview if he is interested.

Who’s that coach?

I believe he is referring to Cameron Smith who is coaching up at Danville. He was a first year head coach this past year and had some success with a winning record of 6-3 and a playoff victory. Might be something Watkins would be interested in if they want to get a young guy with ties to the program.

I believe he is referring to Cameron Smith who is coaching up at Danville. He was a first year head coach this past year and had some success with a winning record of 6-3 and a playoff victory. Might be something Watkins would be interested in if they want to get a young guy with ties to the program.
That is who I’m referring to. Was going to wait until someone else said it.

I don’t know if he’s interested, or not. I don’t know if he’d be the most qualified candidate if he were to apply (Ryan Sayers from Northland, Tony Hurps from Berne Union... if either of them were interested???) but I think WM should at least give him an interview. He played for WM in both the OCC and LCL eras, connects really well with the kids and is a good student of the game. If he stays at Danville I think he could win a regional title before the age of 30.

Just something to think about. Also, Darren Waters was floated as a candidate for the Lancaster job earlier. Is he interested in getting back to HS head coaching? Would make the Battle of Broad Street more exciting.

Cameron Smith would be a home run hire.

Tony Hurps, Bloom Coach?, Amanda Coach?... not sure if any apply but would be a step up for all

I think Watkins is a really good job. Growing community. New school being built solid facilities. Similar to a Teays Valley... should win 6-8 games every year but will never do anything in D2 playoffs.

Valley's coaches would never leave. Granville keeps hiring a new coach every year now it seems. Cant see anybody at Lakewood or LH leaving. Maybe somebody on Catholic's staff. Johnstown's coachs are pretty loyal there I think. Would Bill Franks leave for Watkins? Probably a better chance winning in the LCL then in the OCC.

3 years. 11-17. 3-12 in the LCL

Watkins AD & Superintendent have Reynoldburg ties... have a relationship with Burchfield. No doubt they will make a run at him. Obviously, he is not going anywhere... but I guess you have to try if you are Watkins.

Watkins AD & Superintendent have Reynoldburg ties... have a relationship with Burchfield. No doubt they will make a run at him. Obviously, he is not going anywhere... but I guess you have to try if you are Watkins.
That would be a waste of time.

LOL

Watkins making a run at Burchfield? They got some competition... I heard Millersport was chasing him hard!!!

Calm down. We know he is not leaving. His kids are sophomores at Hartley. I am very involved with the staff...
But - Watkins AD came from Reynoldsburg. Him and Burch are tight. They talked all the time about him going back to the Burg, where he went to HS, once his kids graduated. Hartley does not pay well. Burch has many years at public schools. He will end up at a public school at some point and double his salary in the future.

I think Watkins gets some good candidates to apply. The AD and admin at Watkins want to do well.

That is absolutely ridiculous for a school their size in that league.

Cameron Smith would be a home run hire.

Tony Hurps, Bloom Coach?, Amanda Coach?... not sure if any apply but would be a step up for all

I think Watkins is a really good job. Growing community. New school being built solid facilities. Similar to a Teays Valley... should win 6-8 games every year but will never do anything in D2 playoffs.

Young coach. Had success early. Will stay for awhile and it would be a upgrade in pay. I am hearing smith is leading.

I have spoke to a few folks that live/work/coach in Watkins. They do not think that would be a good move for the school.
No disrespect to your acquaintances in the Kirkersville metropolitan area, but do they have any reasoning for that opinion other than age concerns?

If there is actually some widespread sentiment already brewing in the district, then that's not a good situation for him to walk into if he were offered.

No disrespect to your acquaintances in the Kirkersville metropolitan area, but do they have any reasoning for that opinion other than age concerns?

If there is actually some widespread sentiment already brewing in the district, then that's not a good situation for him to walk into if he were offered.

When you’re the size of Watkins and getting shutout by Newark Catholic and going to OT with Lakewood I would be re-evaluating just about everything. Beating (or even playing) Utica isn’t going to get you far in Div.II.

When you’re the size of Watkins and getting shutout by Newark Catholic and going to OT with Lakewood I would be re-evaluating just about everything. Beating (or even playing) Utica isn’t going to get you far in Div.II.
I definitely agree. I don’t know if he is the best candidate, or not, but I would hope more weight is given to the resume and references than what Pataskala Karen’s think. (And that goes for any coach in the running.) Like, you’re the biggest fish in the pond. And yet...

Just for discussion purposes, S’s and G’s, whatnot, of the schools mentioned and whether WM would be a step-up...

Amanda = yes, step-up;
Berne Union = yes, step-up;
Bloom-Carroll = no;
Danville = probably a step-up;
Newark = ???

Agree and whoever gets this job will have very small shoes to fill as they have underachieved massively the past few years as RollingTrain has pointed out. This coaching change will be a win for Watkins.

From what I heard it was 5 interviews....Head Coach from Defiance......Kyle Oyster(OC) at watkins, Cameron Smith, Darren Waters(old heights coach) and then there is one more I can't recall who. I would think Cam Smith should be option
All solid names for the caliber of job. Didn't Waters just leave Heights for Otterbein?

I believe Waters is back as an assistant at Heights thinking back to an old newspaper article. No way he would leave Heights for Watkins.

I believe Waters is back as an assistant at Heights thinking back to an old newspaper article. No way he would leave Heights for Watkins.
Unless he has a serious itch to get back into coaching? I think he takes a lot of pride in what he was able to generally do with Heights, and would welcome a rodeo with Watkins.