Canal Winchester HC

I think there is something to be said for having a coach that has experience coaching the demographic of the school that is looking for a coach. For example, not sure I would hire a coach from Centerburg to go coach at Eastmore. Coach Sharrett is a unique individual and one of the few that can pretty much coach whatever he has. Not a big fan of Hellerich or any of their assistants for that matter. Nobody has done so little with so much talent. No discipline on or off the field and no loyalty to the players that come up through his program. But he does have the hype machine on full go non stop. He definitely wins a Twitter championship every season. Based on his Twitter feed you would think he coaches at Central rather than North.

I thought this was a Canal thread. I find it interesting that you go out of your way to take shots at a coach and his staff. Obviously you are a Central fan and identify with that program, maybe change your name to PickeringtonCentralSports. Coach Sharrett and Coach Lomonico have done a great job building that program. From afar, it seems like they just keep reloading with stellar talent year after year. I hope your continued loyalty and support of their program is rewarded. I am sure Coach Hillerich and his staff that you are not a fan of, have no idea who you are nor would you voice this disdain to them in person. Back to Canal, I hope Sayers or Kuhner will be able to get Canal to reach their full potential. I have family that live in the district and would love to see it happen. Good Luck to the both of them and may the best man win!

Sayers did not make it to the 2nd round of interviews. What I heard... Kuhner, Jenne (former Darby coach), & a current DC at an OCC school. Decision should be made by the end of the week.

Has Canal been having workouts? Who is running them... would be interested to know what the current coaches on staff think about this coaching search.

Gotta love North v Central banter. Is there any other rivalry in central Ohio that legitimately doesn't like one another like them?
Maybe Jerome v Coffman?

Gotta love North v Central banter. Is there any other rivalry in central Ohio that legitimately doesn't like one another like them?
Maybe Jerome v Coffman?
Lancaster vs Newark. I don't think there's anything close.

North vs Central is a nominal rivalry in sports. The real sources of tension that exist with North vs Central have probably become irrelevant, or less significant, these days... but they have more to do with perceived inequities when it comes to facilities and districting. That, and the fact there is the weird penchant some PLSD residents (North parents) have on "I don't live in Pickerington -- I live in Violet Township."

Lancaster vs Newark. I don't think there's anything close.

North vs Central is a nominal rivalry in sports. The real sources of tension that exist with North vs Central have probably become irrelevant, or less significant, these days... but they have more to do with perceived inequities when it comes to facilities and districting. That, and the fact there is the weird penchant some PLSD residents (North parents) have on "I don't live in Pickerington -- I live in Violet Township."
Should stick an estates after it to make it official . VTE . Lol. Yes the ole Pick Cash , Pick Trash resentment .

Should stick an estates after it to make it official . VTE . Lol. Yes the ole Pick Cash , Pick Trash resentment .
Haha. NIMBY politics predominate the unincorporated (aka "Violet Township") part of the district. Maybe the only salve with that part of the district is the reliable bloc of voters who aren't going to vote to raise my property taxes to stave off overcrowding concerns.

Sayers is a huge head scratcher. Only spent year at Nortland went .500 and got blown out by Eastmoor twice.

Must not have had a ton of qualified applicants? I know somebody mentioned Stoudt formally of Westy South. He seems like a better option IMO
Uh B B

I have a lot of close relationships at both Central and North. The kids all grow up and play together until the 7th grade and they typically remain friends even after that.
My opinion on the North coaching staff is based on watching some of these kids get passed over by transfers year after year. Even their transfers get benched for other transfers. I see players yelling at the coaches on the sidelines which shouldn’t happen. I watch kids play both ways while they throw the ball 50 times. The players are gassed by the 3rd quarter. There has been a lot of talent come through North but they never win anything. That’s my issue with their coaches. It’s definitely not personal.

I have a lot of close relationships at both Central and North. The kids all grow up and play together until the 7th grade and they typically remain friends even after that.
My opinion on the North coaching staff is based on watching some of these kids get passed over by transfers year after year. Even their transfers get benched for other transfers. I see players yelling at the coaches on the sidelines which shouldn’t happen. I watch kids play both ways while they throw the ball 50 times. The players are gassed by the 3rd quarter. There has been a lot of talent come through North but they never win anything. That’s my issue with their coaches. It’s definitely not personal.
Totally agree. It was trending that direction towards the end of the Phillips era and now has gone totally off the rails. Probably an unpopular opinion but the entire culture over there Is in dire need of a makeover. I think that'd help them out a ton in the long run.

Hahahaha!
Please don’t act like Central doesn’t get their share of transfers. Took a qb transfer and some north kids for Central to win their titles, so stop with the nonsense.
I’m interested in seeing if Sharett and Co can figure out a plan B in the playoffs. They never had one last year and once they ran up against equal talent and a hell of a plan, they didn’t know what to do. They will run through region 3 but hope they change things up when they meet stx again

The only people seriously considered for this job were coaches who were at Pickerington at some point.

Canal will be looking for another coach again in 3 years.
Out of the finalist, it seems there is only one person with Pickerington ties, so there is hope for Canal. If they go the Pickerington route, they definitely will be looking again in 3 years, maybe sooner based off of previous coaching stints.

Last edited:
Out of the finalist, it seems there is only one person with Pickerington ties, so there is hope for Canal. If they go the Pickerington route, they definitely will be looking again in 3 years, maybe sooner based off of previous coaching stints.

There were two finalists. Both had coached at Pickerington

The fist time the job was posted, the three finalists were a Pickerington assistant, a Pickerington teacher and and Pickerington resident. Two of them turned the job down.

There were two finalists. Both had coached at Pickerington

The fist time the job was posted, the three finalists were a Pickerington assistant, a Pickerington teacher and and Pickerington resident. Two of them turned the job down.

The first time through yes there were multiple Pickerington ties. Out of the current finalist one has no ties to Pickerington. He is a DC from another OCC school.

Last edited:
Board meeting is Monday? Should have a coach by weekends end. What is Canals schedule? I believe they open with Groveport?

I know they matchup with the Hawks week 3 - no doubt that will be a rough go for the Indians.

Hahahaha!
Please don’t act like Central doesn’t get their share of transfers. Took a qb transfer and some north kids for Central to win their titles, so stop with the nonsense.

If you consider a "transfer qb" to be a kid who played his junior high ball for Ridgeview... then yeah. North has literally had 3 QBs who started for other high school teams in the last 3 seasons.

If you consider a "transfer qb" to be a kid who played his junior high ball for Ridgeview... then yeah. North has literally had 3 QBs who started for other high school teams in the last 3 seasons.
It's funny how a school like North who is not yet in your league program wise, holds space in Central fanatics heads rent free. But if you want to enter the "transfer" conversation, let's remember the guys who transferred in that helped win a Championship or two. Doesn't just have to be the qualifier of not playing ball for the junior high. I've been told that the all world QB never played for the junior high team nor did this last seasons CB/safety/RB (Gahanna), let's not forget the two transfers from North a past TE/DT and OT that played on the championship team. The current best O-lineman played for Reynoldsburg. Remember a past D-lineman (Gahanna) who came senior year, as well as a past RB (North/Gahanna), a past QB was at (North, Westerville). We won't even get into the guys who played JH football for Lakeview and played for Central. Also this years 8th grade QB that transferred in from Canal and that's not all! They will make up a reason or excuse for all of them but when it's all said and done, who cares. Central fanatics shouldn't throw stones nor care about what North does. They are the way better program. Worry about St. Xavier.

It's funny how a school like North who is not yet in your league program wise, holds space in Central fanatics heads rent free. But if you want to enter the "transfer" conversation, let's remember the guys who transferred in that helped win a Championship or two. Doesn't just have to be the qualifier of not playing ball for the junior high. I've been told that the all world QB never played for the junior high team nor did this last seasons CB/safety/RB (Gahanna), let's not forget the two transfers from North a past TE/DT and OT that played on the championship team. The current best O-lineman played for Reynoldsburg. Remember a past D-lineman (Gahanna) who came senior year, as well as a past RB (North/Gahanna), a past QB was at (North, Westerville). We won't even get into the guys who played JH football for Lakeview and played for Central. Also this years 8th grade QB that transferred in from Canal and that's not all! They will make up a reason or excuse for all of them but when it's all said and done, who cares. Central fanatics shouldn't throw stones nor care about what North does. They are the way better program. Worry about St. Xavier.

One Pick poster said 98 percent of Central's roster was born in or was in pick from Elementary school on. Well that's not true of ANY PROGRAM , as we are a much more transient country and people move much more in general . But it is noted that many kids { AND THIER PARENTS } want better programs and places to go to school which should be first and if sports is a better fit as well ? PC is top dog. Of course there are going to be a lot kids who think they are really good to want to be a part of it and if it takes simply moving from one east side suburb to another or from Columbus city school districts to a better Pick school system? So be it . I know you have to sit out ounce you transfer from n HS to another, but does Pick district allow them to enter either HS regardless of Middle school assignment or not? I know Westerville has that in place.

Over the years in Dublin , more kids have left the Coffman district to go towards Jerome or Scioto than vice versa because some know depending on the sport they have a better chance to start earlier at a certain sport or can start at multiple sports more readily . They reject more of these proposed moves than they accept .
I would guess that Central is going to get more kids wanting to go there than they do North when it comes to football and it has kind of been this way for a while now. In Ohio the transfer dynamic pales in comparison to other top High school football states . [ Texas , Florida , California , Georgia ? PA transfer situation is more akin to Ohio's } North has had that QB transfer thing going for a while now. Coffman had that reputation because of their more wide open style at the time wasn't as prevalent. Rafferty and Febus came as Seniors , the Stoudt's moved in when the two QB's were in 7th and 9th grade . Brown a one year starter in 2018 came in Halfway through Frosh year from Marysville . The others in the last 20+ years all played MS in Dublin and or grew up here . Sorry to take away from the Canal theme here. I hope they get the right guy , there is some potential for the program to be consistently good as we have seen at other times and be a very good D-2 program .

Speaking of Crenshaw , I thought I read an article a few years ago on Crenshaw that stated that had he stayed where he grew up he would have played at South HS which at the time { Still ?} threw the ball a lot adn that was one of the questions ? Kind of fuzzy , but I think I remember that article's contents which mentioned that . A good source said he came to Pick as an 8th grader? But anohter said it was after that ? Doesn't matter , it worked out well for him and the program

Speaking of Crenshaw , I thought I read an article a few years ago on Crenshaw that stated that had he stayed where he grew up he would have played at South HS which at the time { Still ?} threw the ball a lot adn that was one of the questions ? Kind of fuzzy , but I think I remember that article's contents which mentioned that . A good source said he came to Pick as an 8th grader? But anohter said it was after that ? Doesn't matter , it worked out well for him and the program
Trying not to hijack this thread but I exported the roster for the 2022 and 2023 seasons into excel and quantified the players that were not on the Ridgeview 8th grade teams. Total # of 2022/2023 players on the roster = 73. Total number of players not on 8th grade team = 6. Which equates to 92%

-The breakdown of the 6 are as follows.
2 Brothers moved in prior to their Freshman year
1 transferred in from Reynoldsburg big contributor
1 lived in Pickeringon but went to Hartley fresh year then transferred back prior to soph year
2 kids I don’t know
-There are 2 2023 basketball transfers. One from Dublin and one from Canal Winchester.
-There have been 6 players transfer out from these two classes.
-Meech played at Ridgeview in the 8th grade
-Pickerington does not allow athletes to transfer between schools and does not have open enrollment even within the district.
-A student can petition to enroll at either Junior High but will only be accepted if there are enough students to offset. The 2026 class had 13 Ridgeview students that wanted to enroll at Lakeview and 5 Lakeview students that wanted to enroll at Ridgeview. So 5 of the 13 were permitted to enroll at the other school.
-Starting in 7th grade, if you want to transfer to the other Pickerington School, you have to physically move or sit out a full season of sports.

I hope this puts the PC transfer myth to bed. Canal Winchester deserves a good coach. They have some talent and a supportive community. They shouldn’t want to become Pickerington. Embrace the smaller community and one High School.

Trying not to hijack this thread but I exported the roster for the 2022 and 2023 seasons into excel and quantified the players that were not on the Ridgeview 8th grade teams. Total # of 2022/2023 players on the roster = 73. Total number of players not on 8th grade team = 6. Which equates to 92%

1 lived in Pickeringon but went to Hartley fresh year then transferred back prior to soph year
2 kids I don’t know
-There are 2 2023 basketball transfers. One from Dublin and one from Canal Winchester.
-Pickerington does not allow athletes to transfer between schools and does not have open enrollment even within the district.
-A student can petition to enroll at either Junior High but will only be accepted if there are enough students to offset. The 2026 class had 13 Ridgeview students that wanted to enroll at Lakeview and 5 Lakeview students that wanted to enroll at Ridgeview. So 5 of the 13 were permitted to enroll at the other school.
-Starting in 7th grade, if you want to transfer to the other Pickerington School, you have to physically move or sit out a full season of sports.

I hope this puts the PC transfer myth to bed. Canal Winchester deserves a good coach. They have some talent and a supportive community. They shouldn’t want to become Pickerington. Embrace the smaller community and one High School.
What about responding to my thread post #82? Obviously there will be a high percentage from Pickerington on the team, that wasn't the point. The point was you throwing stones at North while PC has benefitted as many other schools in Central Ohio. They are not a transfer free program like they claim to be, that's all. Own it and keep it moving like the other programs do. Where I'm from we don't dwell /obsess over lesser/inferior programs like you do.

2 kids I don’t know

Which Boren brother was it that transferred in the middle of a football season from North to Central that caused all the transfer rule changes within the district?

2 kids I don’t know

Every Program has move outs , not just yours .To say that the last 15 years , it's a total MYTH that Central hasn't benefitted much at all or benefitted much less than most in CO from transfers is silly. No one is saying that the large majority isn't homegrown as it is with pretty much all local public schools , BUT you seem to be insisting that Pick C is more homegrown than most and I know that's not exactly true .

You have to declare in middle school correct- that why the styles’ who live in north district go to central?