2021 Inaugural Season: Three Rivers Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trail is a program that is getting better. In the WOAC I can see them winning some games. I’m not saying they will compete to win the conference next year. But I can see them being around .500.
Yes, no doubt. Milton will not take them lightly. I'm just saying that competition-wise, i'd love to see Pearce and the Dogs take on one of those teams. Trail has had some nice teams. No disrespect meant there.
Scheduling from a Harbins viewpoint, it's smart like Miami East was. Sorry to come off like I don't respect Trail. Again, I'm not the coach that needs to prepare a team for this schedule. It's all what-if's on here.

Yes, no doubt. Milton will not take them lightly. I'm just saying that competition-wise, i'd love to see Pearce and the Dogs take on one of those teams. Trail has had some nice teams. No disrespect meant there.
Scheduling from a Harbins viewpoint, it's smart like Miami East was. Sorry to come off like I don't respect Trail. Again, I'm not the coach that needs to prepare a team for this schedule. It's all what-if's on here.
It's absolutely smart to schedule a team that you will beat 7/10 years or more that will also go at least .500 most seasons. That's better for Harbins than scheduling a school like Oakwood (who may be better than Trail) but won't win more than 2-3 games most years in the SWBL.

I wasn't taking it as disrespect. I was just speaking in regards to Trail. I do think it should be an easy win for MU, however Trail is getting better and they should win some games, so that could help MU in terms on Harbin points. Even last year Trail went 4-4 overall, and played Tri Village close before throwing a pick 6 while trying to score as time expired. They were much more competitive.

My perfect out-of-conference schedule, even though nobody asked! :LOL:
1 game against a tougher opponent that will test you and make you better
1 Harbin cow, a team you usually beat that will get you good points
1 rival, or a good team that is not bigger and won't physically dominate you. (so they don't beat you up)

I like the hard school in week 2. Not week 1 so you have time to get better first (Ohio State always plays a weaker school to open), and not week 3 so you're not beat up heading into league play.

Using this philosophy, I like MU's weeks 1 (if Trail does well in the WOAC) and 2 and don't hate Oakwood in 3, but could see a team like Brookville instead.

Now...a team like Bethel that is opening with Waynesville, Kenton Ridge, and Brookville? No doubt they are challenging themselves! In years where they win those, they will be tested come league time. I fear they could be 0-3 though, and kids are kids, they may start league play with no confidence and continuity.

Covington has St Henry, Mechanicsburg, and Ft Loramie. I love the Mechanicsburg and FL games. 2 tough teams, but neither should physically wear down the Buccs for league play. Both should be worth good points in years where Covington wins. Not sure I like St Henry. MAC schools are tricky. They're either good enough that you have a small chance of winning. Or if you beat them, many other MAC schools will too and they're not worth many points!

Miami East has Preble, Carlisle, and Northwestern. Love Preble, they will win alot of games in the WOAC. Carlisle? I guess if you think Clodfelter will turn them around? NW is a good solid test for East.

Riverside has Ansonia, Northeastern, Indian Lake. Not bad

Looks like Troy Christian has Tri Village and Dayton Christian and still needs a week 2. Good start, but starting the year with TRiV means you better be ready to go!

Lehman has Lime Perry, New Bremen, W-G. 2 tough games to start!

Northridge has Dixie, Oakwood, Carlisle. love opening with Dixie, Oakwood will challenge them, good game with Carlisle. Overall good for where their program is.

I can’t wait to see which team dominates this league, just to get waxed by a third or fourth place MAC team early in the playoffs each year!! My vote is Covington!

I can’t wait to see which team dominates this league, just to get waxed by a third or fourth place MAC team early in the playoffs each year!! My vote is Covington!
I was kind of thinking the same thing. This just seems like an odd league to me. I mean, I'm sure the creation of this league makes some sense. But I don't see how Milton-Union will be playoff ready to go up against the likes of Wyoming, Clinton-Massie, Valley View, and Indian Hill by playing D6/D7 schools like Riverside, Troy Christian, and Lehman. Even for Covington or Miami East, they better be scheduling out of league games importantly to even try to prepare for those postseason MAC match-ups.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. This just seems like an odd league to me. I mean, I'm sure the creation of this league makes some sense. But I don't see how Milton-Union will be playoff ready to go up against the likes of Wyoming, Clinton-Massie, Valley View, and Indian Hill by playing D6/D7 schools like Riverside, Troy Christian, and Lehman. Even for Covington or Miami East, they better be scheduling out of league games importantly to even try to prepare for those postseason MAC match-ups.
they play Valley View week 2 i think, that’s a good test. other than that, not much

2 thoughts. 1- MU will probably be d5 next time the state actually does new numbers. 2- They just left Waynesville, Carlisle, Madison, Preble, Dixie. Anybody really think this league is any different? Like those teams were preparing MU for Wyoming and Clinton-Massie but the new ones won't?

Last edited:
Covington has St Henry, Mechanicsburg, and Ft Loramie. I love the Mechanicsburg and FL games. 2 tough teams, but neither should physically wear down the Buccs for league play. Both should be worth good points in years where Covington wins. Not sure I like St Henry. MAC schools are tricky. They're either good enough that you have a small chance of winning. Or if you beat them, many other MAC schools will too and they're not worth many points!

Miami East has Preble, Carlisle, and Northwestern. Love Preble, they will win alot of games in the WOAC. Carlisle? I guess if you think Clodfelter will turn them around? NW is a good solid test for East.

Riverside has Ansonia, Northeastern, Indian Lake. Not bad

Looks like Troy Christian has Tri Village and Dayton Christian and still needs a week 2. Good start, but starting the year with TRiV means you better be ready to go!

Lehman has Lime Perry, New Bremen, W-G. 2 tough games to start!

Northridge has Dixie, Oakwood, Carlisle. love opening with Dixie, Oakwood will challenge them, good game with Carlisle. Overall good for where their program is.
It's interesting to see what the OOC games look like with the new leagues kicking off. It appears there will be a lot of matchups between the TRC and some of the WOAC/SWBL teams... I personally like the Miami East vs. Preble Shawnee matchup, but I do believe Miami East needs to get things turned around quick, because the last 2 years Preble Shawnee would have beaten them pretty easily.

2 thoughts. 1- MU will probably be d5 next time the state actually does new numbers. 2- They just left Waynesville, Carlisle, Madison, Preble, Dixie, Carlisle. Anybody really think this league is any different? Like those teams were preparing MU for Wyoming and Clinton-Massie but the new ones won't?
I mean I didn't say the SWBL-Buckeye WAS preparing Milton-Union for the playoffs. I'd agree the TRC isn't any worse than the SWBL-Buckeye, probably marginally better, but seems like a lot of effort to switch leagues for not much of a competitive gain, especially when the crossover games against the SWBL-Southwestern were better competition than either SWBL-B or TRC. A D4, D5, D6, and D7 league just seems a little chaotic. I guess the slightly better travel is a plus for M-U.

The reason behind the move is due to many factors, one being gate receipts, two being developing local rivalries, and three the travel. Milton is not growing at this moment. Playing a schedule with Covington, Valley View, Oakwood (most years), Miami East and Maybe Bethel or Troy Christian is better than our current schedule.

I wasn't taking it as disrespect. I was just speaking in regards to Trail. I do think it should be an easy win for MU, however Trail is getting better and they should win some games, so that could help MU in terms on Harbin points. Even last year Trail went 4-4 overall, and played Tri Village close before throwing a pick 6 while trying to score as time expired. They were much more competitive.
I'm not sure about it being easy. Milton typically starts out kinda slow then builds momentum with the league schedule. The big glaring game to me is week 2 vs Valley View. That has become our new Tipp City game. Used to be that Tipp was the big hurdle but now it's the Spartans. It's a good gauge for your season.

With all of the talk about realignment up north on this forum, the more that I see this league the more I think that Northwestern and Greenon probably should have tried to kick the tires as a package deal for the last two spots in this league. Great geography, across the board competition, and pretty similar size schools if you had those two in place of Lehman and Riverside.

This should be a pretty good league. Basketball I think for at least the first couple of years should be very strong besides football.

With all of the talk about realignment up north on this forum, the more that I see this league the more I think that Northwestern and Greenon probably should have tried to kick the tires as a package deal for the last two spots in this league. Great geography, across the board competition, and pretty similar size schools if you had those two in place of Lehman and Riverside.

This should be a pretty good league. Basketball I think for at least the first couple of years should be very strong besides football.
ditto, my friend.

Agreed, but now this is set for at least the near future. Northwestern has been playing some of these teams lately. Greenon should try to get involved wherever it can. Those two would be great additions.

Agreed, but now this is set for at least the near future. Northwestern has been playing some of these teams lately. Greenon should try to get involved wherever it can. Those two would be great additions.

Would have to agree things are set for a while. No league is perfect, but my thoughts are that the travel for NW in their division of the CBC is very bad with North Union lumped on top of trips to Ben Logan and Indian Lake. For Greenon, I don't think they get nearly enough competition in the OHC South in the secondary sports due to all of the small schools. This league IMO would fix the biggest issue for both of them, and they could easily keep the county CBC and OHC schools for non-league competition. For football, getting to play each other, Bethel, Miami East, and probably some combo of Kenton Ridge, Shawnee, Northeastern and Tecumseh in non-league play would be as good as it gets at the gates.

Those two IMO should be playing Bethel and Miami East in just about everything. I'd like to see more of Milton-Union as well in football and basketball.

Northwestern was very competitive vs MU. It was a great game. Milton will get tired of my Valley View after a couple more years in my opinion. Oakwood is a crap shoot who you get each year.

Would have to agree things are set for a while. No league is perfect, but my thoughts are that the travel for NW in their division of the CBC is very bad with North Union lumped on top of trips to Ben Logan and Indian Lake. For Greenon, I don't think they get nearly enough competition in the OHC South in the secondary sports due to all of the small schools. This league IMO would fix the biggest issue for both of them, and they could easily keep the county CBC and OHC schools for non-league competition. For football, getting to play each other, Bethel, Miami East, and probably some combo of Kenton Ridge, Shawnee, Northeastern and Tecumseh in non-league play would be as good as it gets at the gates.

Those two IMO should be playing Bethel and Miami East in just about everything. I'd like to see more of Milton-Union as well in football and basketball.
I've seen Greenon start to schedule Bethel in sports. they even picked up a last minute Basketball game with Milton Union when both teams needed a game. I know Northwestern plays Miami East in just about everything. I liked Miami East in the CBC but they had no business being in a league with the Logan County Schools. Miami East is in just about the best situation that they could've asked for at the moment, same for Bethel and Milton.

What is so nice is the county rivalries that will be created from this. MU, Bethel, East, Covington and TC will benefit from this. These kids grow up together, that will make for some great contests. I like the model of the MAC and SCAL here. Both keep things local and you can see the benefits to both of those leagues.
Lehman might as well be Miami County. Northridge and Riverside are the two outlayers here. But at least they are familiar to these schools.
Greenon and NW would just enhance this league.
When the SRC was formed from the TRC and the SWBL it had a similar feel. Covington leaving was the first crack in the armor. It was a good league and was highly competitive. Soccer became the virus that broke it up. Lehman and Versailles refused to add the sport and so the league dissolved.
I think SCC benefitted from the departure. They were not competitive the last few years, except in soccer. Graham, Tipp, Versailles were the gorillas of that league. Lehman was in football.
SRC was: in it's last year.
Milton
Tipp
Graham
Versailles
Lehman
Miami East
Ben Logan
SCC
Imagine that disparity in competitveness now. Versailles vs SCC in football? Tipp vs Lehman in football? Wow.

Last edited:
I would have to agree. With the compact geography and all of the backyard rivalries that will develop out of this, I could see this league lasting for a very long time.

The SRC was a tremendous basketball league.

I would have to agree. With the compact geography and all of the backyard rivalries that will develop out of this, I could see this league lasting for a very long time.

The SRC was a tremendous basketball league.
the core of this league will last for decades. the size of all the schools will likely keep just getting close to eachother, i would think (outside of Riverside and Lehman).

on another note, why isn’t the TRC doing rivalry games week 10?

Last edited:
Riverside has athletes coming. But I'm afraid this league will be a bit more than they bargained for. It will definitely get them more playoff/tournament ready, but having to face MAC schools in football and Shelby County schools in basketball in their region/sectional, it may not matter all that much. Flipping Greenon and Riverside would make a ton of sense, but I don't see the motivation for Greenon to leave the OHC.

It will be interesting to see how long this league lasts. Bethel is going to have crazy growth in the next 10 years. They are projecting to be as big as Tipp City in the next 10-15 years. Hard to imagine the smaller schools wanting to stay in the same league with them.

Riverside has athletes coming. But I'm afraid this league will be a bit more than they bargained for. It will definitely get them more playoff/tournament ready, but having to face MAC schools in football and Shelby County schools in basketball in their region/sectional, it may not matter all that much. Flipping Greenon and Riverside would make a ton of sense, but I don't see the motivation for Greenon to leave the OHC.

It will be interesting to see how long this league lasts. Bethel is going to have crazy growth in the next 10 years. They are projecting to be as big as Tipp City in the next 10-15 years. Hard to imagine the smaller schools wanting to stay in the same league with them.
I'd be shocked if Bethel got any bigger than D4. I think Troy Christian and Covington would still play with a D4 school (already have Northridge and Milton Union).

flipping Greenon and Riverside makes too much sense. Riverside to OHC North which means you can move Northeastern to the OHC South (where they belong)

Bethel is booming, but I don't know if they'll get as big as Tipp...at least from what I've read. From what I've seen, I think that later this decade they'll probably be a midsize D4 in football and a midsize D2 basketball, probably roughly the same size as Kenton Ridge is currently. If that ever became a major issue for this league, I'm sure that whatever configuration the bulk of the CBC schools are in at that time would love to have them.

I think it's always possible that they could get bigger than that though. The southern part of their district has a great growth location being on the outskirts of Huber Heights, and I wouldn't be too surprised if there's even more development than already planned down the road.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if Bethel got any bigger than D4. I think Troy Christian and Covington would still play with a D4 school (already have Northridge and Milton Union).

flipping Greenon and Riverside makes too much sense. Riverside to OHC North which means you can move Northeastern to the OHC South (where they belong)
I could see Troy Christian experiencing some growth with all the growth in Miami County. I could see them become a mid sized D6 school unless they dont have the room. If Covington gets outgrown, there's a school district 1 mile to the west they could absorb.

You'd get no argument from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.