Millersport 2021

Well, I did say "nominal rivals" - the school doesn't really consider FCA to be rivals, although FCA may consider FC to be a rival. They're more nominal in the rival sense in that they play in the same league and are in the same town.

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy talking about these hypotheticals! I understand where you're coming from, but I think there are fundamental complications with a merge. Who would FCA+FC play? OHSAA doesn't sponsor nor permit co-ops [this is the term that other states, like Iowa, use when two schools join forces.] Would OHSAA's catastrophe insurance extend to this hypothetical team? Would FCA agree to pay for half of the associated costs that Lancaster asks of FC to play on Fulton Field? How would the revenue split -- would FCA be fine with FC conducting 50/50 raffles at FCA+FC football games (there is an opinion that has been floated over the years that 50/50 raffles are "gambling.") Another thing to look at is the MSL would be down a home game over two years.

I think a better idea would be if the schools could practice together (if OHSAA were to allow such a thing) - no more half-line practices! Another idea is if the two schools could play middle school together (neither school is mandated to participate under OHSAA rules for junior high, although they would be by the MSL if they wanted to play an MSL junior high schedule.)

Not to sound difficult, but I think Coach Thimmes and FC care about playoffs - at the very least, regular season wins against MSL competition and more. And it's not necessarily the case that FC hasn't fared well lately on the field.

I would say one big difference between the two is the emphasis on participation, and being successful, in activities and athletics. FC, whether its the school itself or the general community, greatly values having strong extracurricular programs across every discipline (athletic/academic/performing arts) and similarly there is great effort put toward its athletic facilities & fundraising for the various programs. I used to see some of the same with FCA way back when Dave Daubenmire was the football coach, but the last 5 or so years the school hasn't quite had the image or aura of one that "brings the juice" in sports. And I think it's finally caught up with FCA to where it's not seen as a school that takes athletics seriously: they play at Millersport for football, they play their baseball games in Columbus (Berliner) or the substandard diamonds at the Tschopp Road facilities, they generally don't have the greatest fan attendance figures when the teams aren't winning.

Another cultural difference I would point to, relevant to how the athletics cultures are shaped but also intertwined somewhat into social/religious viewpoints impressed into the two schools and their communities, relates directly to the difference in the two schools' operations: I believe FCA still has a student "morality code" that is not entirely different from the concept that exists at Liberty University in Virginia. I'm not referring to a standard Code of Conduct, which all schools (including FC) have, but instead a dictum that transcends the school/personal life boundary. I know 5 or so years ago there was an issue where some of their student-athletes got ratted to the school (by someone who wasn't a law enforcement officer) for smoking pot at a residence, and the school expelled them. While I'm not personally interested in debating whether or not that's the "right thing" for a school to do, a school like FC isn't seen to be as draconian on discipline for matters outside of the campus that are - frankly - more appropriate for parents and counselors to deal with (that doesn't mean FC is perfectly fine with its students drinking and smoking... no, not at all -- but, they certainly wouldn't expel a kid for going to a party with kids from FU or whatever area school where George & Mary Jane happen to be in the room.) And that approach FC takes is probably more popular with parents of incoming 9th graders or students looking to transfer, especially kids that play sports. I've heard from multiple parents of public school kids (some of whom ended up enrolling into FC) over the years that they just didn't, or wouldn't have, consider(ed) FCA as a transfer destination because they disagree with the idea of a school policing their kid's behavior off-campus if the behavior doesn't result in anyone getting harmed or necessitate the involvement of the authorities. That, and some think FCA's operational model for high school when it comes to student affairs/rules/activities isn't personally appealing. Unlike FC, which has one principal in charge of four grades [under the purview of the Diocese in Columbus], FCA has multiple administrators with direct advice and backing from the Fairfield Christian Church as the entire school operates under a k-12 model. And for the families who already have kids attending FCA, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't necessarily think it's a bad model myself, but I do see how its at odds with some philosophy changes the school could consider on the student life and athletics ends in order to attract more families from the publics systems.

A third cultural difference: well, let's just say I don't think an FCA+FC combined football team would be praying Hail Mary's in pre-game (as veneration of Mary is uniquely Roman Catholic.)

One thing I will say also about FCA: they always produce very nice, high-character and friendly kids (not unlike FC, either!)

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying earlier on this point, or perhaps I didn't express what I was trying to say as well as I could have: I said that this change in philosophy (gutting the lesser sports) was floated and intimated when Coach Hurps was there in the early '10s, but it didn't materialize. And who knows if it would've really made any difference, honestly -- back then it would've increased some numbers but now it is kind of marginal impact. Sometimes it is fun and daring to think "what if" there were another 10-15 kids on the football team if not for golf, XC and soccer. But it would go against what the school prides itself on.

I don't. I could say the enrollment is half of what it was whenever [any FC alum] was attending the school, because when you get graduating classes that have 15-22 boys these days at FC that's in the same general ballpark as being "half of" whatever the general enrollment was when any given person graduated (except for the class of '94, that had 61 boys in the class.)

I think it's more so the case that the MAC is the exception to the rule when it comes to numbers. Numbers are bigtime down at a lot of places. Even Amanda-Clearcreek only had less than 30 healthy bodies all year.

Oh yeah, I agree. I enjoy talking about this stuff with you.

Curious if @Forepar has anything to say.
[/QUOTE]

I simply see a myriad of practical issues related to a joint FC/FCA team proposal. The philosophical/cultural issues may or may not exist, but the fact is, a "joint" team is just is not going to happen. If somehow you made that work, even the the "joint" team plays all Canadian- and Columbus Crusader-type teams under OHSAA and MSL rules (and I am fine with those rules). Thus, the concept does not interest me as an "old" alum. You either dance with the one you brought, or you don't dance at all.

I do not have much to say about the suggested lack of focus on extracurricular/sports at FCA, or the more restrictive social norms at FCA. I do not have much knowledge of the FCA organization these days to know. FCA's enrollment was way down the last I looked; but so was/is the enrollment at FC (although somewhat stabilized now, still very low at 20-25 boys per class). My take is that focus/commitment to sports is more a function of cycles - when you aren't winning you don't focus on it as much. The pendulum swings faster in small school athletics. FCA absolutely dominated FC in basketball and won a few football games against FC not that long, and FCA focused on that success. FC was quietly smoldering in those days, waiting for the worm to turn. And it has, and now FC is proud of its current success on the field/court/track. Assuming that both schools continue on indefinitely, the pendulum will swing again (many times) with a class or two of studs sometime in the future. That's the beauty and pain of small high school athletics - one class can make a huge difference, whereas in the D-1 world, there are enough talented bodies that good programs and good coaches can create year-over-year success. We all wish we were the MAC - but then again look at how much a school like Delphos St. Johns has struggled in the MAC in recent years (it was a juggernaut in the 1990's and into the 2000's).

Personally, I want FC to be the best it can be at preparing kids, in the Catholic tradition, for life, which in my world means ready generally for college with a base of faith/norms to lean on when things get tough. I think competitive athletics help achieve that goal, and while I am partial to football, I have seen x-country, soccer and even golf generate similar spirit and comradery. All winning, or all losing, is not good for the soul. That makes it tough as a small school - you want to provide all of those opportunities, but it can be a stretch to be competitive in some years if for no other reason than sheer numbers. It was only a few years ago that FC did not field a a full roster of male x-country runners - and yet this past year the team makes the State Finals for the first time in forever. And yet it is very conceivable that the roster issue with x-country (7 healthy runners each meet) will rear its head again, sooner than later.

I imagine FCA has goals very similar to FC's (albeit minus the Catholic tradition of course, but certainly with a focus on Christian faith). I wish FCA well in their efforts, but I just don't find the comparison interesting nor the idea of a joint athletic team as feasible.

Last edited:
I simply see a myriad of practical issues related to a joint FC/FCA team proposal. The philosophical/cultural issues may or may not exist, but the fact is, a "joint" team is just is not going to happen. If somehow you made that work, even the the "joint" team plays all Canadian- and Columbus Crusader-type teams under OHSAA and MSL rules (and I am fine with those rules). Thus, the concept does not interest me as an "old" alum. You either dance with the one you brought, or you don't dance at all.

I do not have much to say about the suggested lack of focus on extracurricular/sports at FCA, or the more restrictive social norms at FCA. I do not have much knowledge of the FCA organization these days to know. FCA's enrollment was way down the last I looked; but so was/is the enrollment at FC (although somewhat stabilized now, still very low at 20-25 boys per class). My take is that focus/commitment to sports is more a function of cycles - when you aren't winning you don't focus on it as much. The pendulum swings faster in small school athletics. FCA absolutely dominated FC in basketball and won a few football games against FC not that long, and FCA focused on that success. FC was quietly smoldering in those days, waiting for the worm to turn. And it has, and now FC is proud of its current success on the field/court/track. Assuming that both schools continue on indefinitely, the pendulum will swing again (many times) with a class or two of studs sometime in the future. That's the beauty and pain of small high school athletics - one class can make a huge difference, whereas in the D-1 world, there are enough talented bodies that good programs and good coaches can create year-over-year success. We all wish we were the MAC - but then again look at how much a school like Delphos St. Johns has struggled in the MAC in recent years (it was a juggernaut in the 1990's and into the 2000's).

Personally, I want FC to be the best it can be at preparing kids, in the Catholic tradition, for life, which in my world means ready generally for college with a base of faith/norms to lean on when things get tough. I think competitive athletics help achieve that goal, and while I am partial to football, I have seen x-country, soccer and even golf generate similar spirit and comradery. All winning, or all losing, is not good for the soul. That makes it tough as a small school - you want to provide all of those opportunities, but it can be a stretch to be competitive in some years if for no other reason than sheer numbers. It was only a few years ago that FC did not field a a full roster of male x-country runners - and yet this past year the team makes the State Finals for the first time in forever. And yet it is very conceivable that the roster issue with x-country (7 healthy runners each meet) will rear its head again, sooner than later.

I imagine FCA has goals very similar to FC's (albeit minus the Catholic tradition of course, but certainly with a focus on Christian faith). I wish FCA well in their efforts, but I just don't find the comparison interesting nor the idea of a joint athletic team as feasible.
He has returned! Good to see you, sir. Feel free to send a PM and we'll catch up. Hope you're well.

Havent seen anything in the LEG, it seems like its been long enough. Anybody with insight on Millersport schools?

Well that seems like a rather high profile coach to apply for such a small school.
Yeah. I mean, IDK. He’s probably the best candidate in the field if he did apply. Someone else here mentioned Daubenmire — there’s at least two major issues you have to get past if you hire him.

Gage Lotozo, who coached at Rosecrans, seems like he’d be a really good hire for this. There’s a crop of young Sheridan alumni, him included, that could be interested in the gig.

Kopachy did apply for the Millersport job and was interviewed last week. He is a football reporter for the Advocate during the season. I don't see Dave coaching again with the mess that happened when he applied out at Lakewood and his age being a factor also.

Kopachy did apply for the Millersport job and was interviewed last week. He is a football reporter for the Advocate during the season. I don't see Dave coaching again with the mess that happened when he applied out at Lakewood and his age being a factor also.

What source did the Kopachy interview come from?

Greetings Everyone! I wanted to say it has been exciting to hear about the buzz of the return of Lakers Football. To clarify a recent discussion regarding the search for the next head coach. There has been no interviews as the committee is meeting this week to review resumes from applicants. (Source: Athletic Director) As far as the applicants there was an abundance of interested candidates, which was pretty refreshing to hear.

As far as my introduction, I am behind the movement to bring back Millersport football. You can find my page searching “Millersport Lakers Football Team 2021” on Facebook.

I am pretty transparent and if you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to me and I'll get you the answers.

I will say this you will see the lakers playing 11-man varsity football on Friday nights in the fall.

“Anchor Up”

Greetings Everyone! I wanted to say it has been exciting to hear about the buzz of the return of Lakers Football. To clarify a recent discussion regarding the search for the next head coach. There has been no interviews as the committee is meeting this week to review resumes from applicants. (Source: Athletic Director) As far as the applicants there was an abundance of interested candidates, which was pretty refreshing to hear.

As far as my introduction, I am behind the movement to bring back Millersport football. You can find my page searching “Millersport Lakers Football Team 2021” on Facebook.

I am pretty transparent and if you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to me and I'll get you the answers.

I will say this you will see the lakers playing 11-man varsity football on Friday nights in the fall.

“Anchor Up”
When the Lakers go back to playing on Friday at home will Fairfield Christian move their games to Sat or will they find another place to call home?

Millersport AD and Super seem clueless on this. Season in 7 months and there is no organized lifting until a coach is hired. No way are they ready for 11-man varsity.

Admin needs to realize cutting corners is just going to fail the effort & more importantly fail the PLAYERS. What the community needs in the new football program is the values of commitment, accountability and self sacrifice prioritized ahead of Friday Night Lights. There’s no weight-lifting so the commitment is lagging. AD said they’ll let kids with crappy grades play. Bad idea, even worse to say it before the coach is hired.

Millersport AD and Super seem clueless on this. Season in 7 months and there is no organized lifting until a coach is hired. No way are they ready for 11-man varsity.

Admin needs to realize cutting corners is just going to fail the effort & more importantly fail the PLAYERS. What the community needs in the new football program is the values of commitment, accountability and self sacrifice prioritized ahead of Friday Night Lights. There’s no weight-lifting so the commitment is lagging. AD said they’ll let kids with crappy grades play. Bad idea, even worse to say it before the coach is hired.
I believe the admin is aware of the challenges that the program is up against, as far as being behind schedule. As far as the current list of interested student-athletes, a vast majority especially at the high school level play multiple sports including basketball and baseball (both of which have been lifting/off season workouts). It is going to take some serious commitment from the new coach to come in with a game plan, which should come at no surprise for the interested applicant.

As far as the eligibility, OHSAA made the exception on foregoing the eligibility standards for the 4th quarter for the 2021-2022 school year. Currently, all interested students are meeting or exceeding the eligibility standards. To clarify on the AD’s statement at the town hall, some students may have been unable to sign up to play or might not been interested based off their current grades not meeting OHSAA’s standard but since there is the exception the student might show interest now. The goal is to get kids to participate in extracurricular activities so they grow as a person. Millersport differs from several other schools where they have a slightly higher GPA requirement and they do weekly eligibility compared to end of the 1st quarter grades being the standard. Students interested have still continued to meet GPA expectations, for a couple reasons: They WANT football and they are currently playing other sports that require them to maintain their GPA.

Like I said this task will be very difficult, but I believe if the school district gives the new coach some years to build back it will be very beneficial to the community.

Hello, Andy. Good to see you matriculate over from JJHuddle.

"Clueless" is harsh. However, I agree that a full varsity schedule may be above the new Lakers' abilities. Who would they even play?

Everyone at the table in Laker Land will need to agree on the short term (6-9 month) and long term (12 months and beyond) being S.M.A.R.T.

If none of the kids will have played football at the high school level before, then conditioning and acclimation has to be at the top of the list. Playing a full independent schedule, entirely against varsity squads, is going to be really tough for the Lakers. Finding opponents beyond week five will be a bear since most schools are in league play. The few schools with common open weeks will typically be unplayable for Millersport.

An idea would be for Millersport to play a six or eight game schedule, with games against the JV squads from Lakewood, Liberty Union and Sheridan sprinkled in on Saturday mornings.

I'm a big fan of what you're doing, @Port' Football. Your intentions and efforts are both well-meaning and dedicated. The Millersport community I am sure is grateful for what you're doing for the kids. Unsure if you applied or not for the job, but if you aren't the future coach I imagine the new coach and the administration could benefit from having an extra mind and energized body toward the cause.

Responding really quickly to a couple points in the reply to AndyB...

I believe the admin is aware of the challenges that the program is up against, as far as being behind schedule. As far as the current list of interested student-athletes, a vast majority especially at the high school level play multiple sports including basketball and baseball (both of which have been lifting/off season workouts). It is going to take some serious commitment from the new coach to come in with a game plan, which should come at no surprise for the interested applicant.

Right. But I'm curious how many bodies there are to go around in the first place. A cursory glance of the Arbiter basketball and soccer rosters from '19-20, and the baseball roster from '18-19 seems to confirm this: I count 10 kids who are listed in being the classes of 2022 and beyond. Now obviously that number is somewhat an undercount. A better estimate of Lakers graduating in '22 and later playing sports this school year is probably in the 20-25 range, I imagine. That's not a bad number by any means for the size of the school. And of course there's also the case where a school may have somewhere in the range of 5-7 "football only" kids in the halls or living in the district that attend the career center.

If come beginning of camp, they have 31 players -- great! That's awesome. It's probably also a little generous of an expectation. Real number might be 24-28 range? Getting kids to play football has its challenges, especially when there is not a streamline in Junior High -> High School of kids playing organized football. Getting the same number of kids to understand that football is a process -- sort of lofty!

As far as the eligibility, OHSAA made the exception on foregoing the eligibility standards for the 4th quarter for the 2021-2022 school year. Currently, all interested students are meeting or exceeding the eligibility standards. To clarify on the AD’s statement at the town hall, some students may have been unable to sign up to play or might not been interested based off their current grades not meeting OHSAA’s standard but since there is the exception the student might show interest now. The goal is to get kids to participate in extracurricular activities so they grow as a person. Millersport differs from several other schools where they have a slightly higher GPA requirement and they do weekly eligibility compared to end of the 1st quarter grades being the standard. Students interested have still continued to meet GPA expectations, for a couple reasons: They WANT football and they are currently playing other sports that require them to maintain their GPA.

Thanks for clarifying this!! I was also a taken aback when I heard the comment in the town hall, but this makes sense. Although Millersport's district eligibility guidelines are in-line with the rest of the league, with some other opponents having a little higher of a threshold. Not to slight the Port or be pedantic, only to speak out on that.

Sidebar: the AD should probably be careful about what he says in public -- fyi. There was another comment in the town hall he said that I found needless and untrue (comments on league opponents.)

Like I said this task will be very difficult, but I believe if the school district gives the new coach some years to build back it will be very beneficial to the community.
I'm seeing a lot of really good energy and public support from the village on this. Good! Can't speak for others, but although I'm skeptical on what all the program can achieve I am also a believer that this titanic challenge can be done. It's just going to require some creativity and patience. I'm firmly in the camp that the new coach will be successful in getting this off the ground if he can impart the fact that this task is not going to be a sprint, but rather a marathon.

Scheduling difficulties will probably lead them to travel long ways. They most likely wont compete at all for playoffs. Might just be better to non-ohssa schools or club teams. I saw Reigning Thunder has a bunch of open dates. Maybe even play the crusaders. Would be good to get them some home games, too. I dont know what the rule is for playing the same club team twice, but that might be idea to fill out schedule. Gonna be an uphill battle to get this program off the ground, but hopefully it works Port fb.

Scheduling difficulties will probably lead them to travel long ways. They most likely wont compete at all for playoffs. Might just be better to non-ohssa schools or club teams. I saw Reigning Thunder has a bunch of open dates. Maybe even play the crusaders. Would be good to get them some home games, too. I dont know what the rule is for playing the same club team twice, but that might be idea to fill out schedule. Gonna be an uphill battle to get this program off the ground, but hopefully it works Port fb.
Playoffs is probably out of reach in the short-term. Millersport hasn't made playoffs since 2002 when Mike Burkhardt was there. There's a lot of 0-10, 1-9 and 2-8's in their last 15 seasons as a program.

New coach would be wise to reach out to Terry Holbert @ Logan Elm and pick his brain on what it takes to get the Lakers from 0 to 5, and from 5 to 10, the way that the did. 0-20 his first two years, 7-3 his third and final year.

Playing RTSA and the Crusaders could work in a pinch. Berne Union has graciously offered to play the Lakers. Playing an abbreviated schedule could work, and like I said playing the JV teams of neighboring districts can be a really cool idea for the community.

Awesome thanks for some great feedback!

As for applying for the coach, I did not submit a application due to my full time job. As far as reaching out to Coach Holbert, I actually did that first. He provided excellent honest feedback that I used along this process. I have reached out to several members of the community that have had experience with the Little Laker youth program and the Baltimore Little League, which current Millersport students participate in.

As far as scheduling goes that was a hot topic of discussion at the end of December. The AD and School Board is aware of the amount of traveling that will be required especially for this season and possibly next season. The AD has reached out to the other schools in the MSL, who have said they would be interested in scheduling games with Millersport. Millersport will have to play independent for this season and possibly next season but that will be determined at a later date. The team's in discussion are the ones that you guys have mentioned above, so the AD is definitely aware the challenge they are up against. Previously FCA has played games on Saturday's when they have used Millersports stadium and from my understanding the AD’s are in great discussion with field usage.

To address the amount of players expected to come out to play. I think you guys hit the nail on the head, I think we're expecting 24-28. At best case scenario there would be 31+ coming out but consider the total amount of boys in the high school a range of 24-28 is very realistic.

As far as my future involvement with the program or new head coach, I advised the AD that is a decision that the new coach will have to decide. I respect any decision made by the new head coach, but I am looking to be involved in the Millersport program for years to come.

I came from Licking Heights and was a member of the very first little league team for the district. I know that Millersport will never come close to the enrollment numbers of LH, but I have learned through my experiences how to build a successful program from the ground up. I have experience within the Columbus Marauders organization, which also has prepared me from a sponsorship/marketing aspect. I have been in talks with the Athletic Boosters and School District to revamp the previous sponsorship packet. Millersport was hit hard by Covid with the sweet corn festival being cancelled which generates a lot of money for the Boosters.

I am hoping with my continued efforts and the community support we can together get the little league, middle school, and high school back with a strong participation of student-athletes.

Like I said I started this movement in October and it has been an awesome experience!

Anchor Up

Awesome thanks for some great feedback!

As for applying for the coach, I did not submit a application due to my full time job. As far as reaching out to Coach Holbert, I actually did that first. He provided excellent honest feedback that I used along this process. I have reached out to several members of the community that have had experience with the Little Laker youth program and the Baltimore Little League, which current Millersport students participate in.

I'm wondering to what extent their problems have been, regarding football sustainability, rooted in open enrollments out to LU (Baltimore), Sheridan and Lakewood.

As far as scheduling goes that was a hot topic of discussion at the end of December. The AD and School Board is aware of the amount of traveling that will be required especially for this season and possibly next season. The AD has reached out to the other schools in the MSL, who have said they would be interested in scheduling games with Millersport. Millersport will have to play independent for this season and possibly next season but that will be determined at a later date. The team's in discussion are the ones that you guys have mentioned above, so the AD is definitely aware the challenge they are up against. Previously FCA has played games on Saturday's when they have used Millersports stadium and from my understanding the AD’s are in great discussion with field usage.

I imagine they could play a league season for 2022. That would put the Cardinal at eight football-participating schools, which is a fine number to work with.

FCA playing at Millersport makes sense for the Lakers, because I presume FCA pays rent and there's no reason to turn away money to use a fixed-cost field.

To address the amount of players expected to come out to play. I think you guys hit the nail on the head, I think we're expecting 24-28. At best case scenario there would be 31+ coming out but consider the total amount of boys in the high school a range of 24-28 is very realistic.
Yup. The thing too with expressions of interest that come around any time a school has a new coach, or is trying to reboot their program, is some kids will say "I'm interested" without consulting their folks first. I'm not saying parents are right or wrong on this, either. Sometimes it just comes down to injury wariness and finances, e.g. "we don't have the money to pay for an ER visit if you break your arm."

As far as my future involvement with the program or new head coach, I advised the AD that is a decision that the new coach will have to decide. I respect any decision made by the new head coach, but I am looking to be involved in the Millersport program for years to come.

Very professional of you. I'm sure the program and community would benefit from your interest, dedication and talents however the capacity you can utilize them, if afforded the opportunity.

I came from Licking Heights and was a member of the very first little league team for the district. I know that Millersport will never come close to the enrollment numbers of LH, but I have learned through my experiences how to build a successful program from the ground up. I have experience within the Columbus Marauders organization, which also has prepared me from a sponsorship/marketing aspect. I have been in talks with the Athletic Boosters and School District to revamp the previous sponsorship packet. Millersport was hit hard by Covid with the sweet corn festival being cancelled which generates a lot of money for the Boosters.
LH!? So you would've played Millersport at some point in your career, yeah? If so, crazy how things have come full circle.

Marketing and looking at things full-picture, and the wherewithal to develop strong community buy-in, are invaluable skills. Good on you, man.

So...did Millersport hire anybody? Or did they decide not to play? Kinda late in the game to make a schedule and hire a coach

Assuming the open dates thread is anywhere close to correct (and EagleFan admits it's not cause of games he just hasn't found yet), there's still a decent schedule they could throw together, with the Fed Hocks (are they playing varsity), Millers, Rosecrans, and Jefferson Townships of the world.

But they definitely can't waste anymore time.