Canal Winchester HC

Any update? After reading all this chatter, this sounds like a weird situation. I guess I thought this was an attractive place to coach. Seems like a nice area, with some good players. What’s the deal here? Issues with leadership?

Someone already mentioned this, but is there not someone on the current staff that wants the job? Or does the administration not think anyone is qualified?

I am surprised that Canal is having trouble filing the position. Usually when a positions opens, it is a program that are down. Stratton did a good job of getting that program back to success. It wasn't a long time ago when Canal went thru football coaches with Mauro etc. Facilities are getting better. The lockerroom/film room has been remodeled. It has to be about money or schedule. My thoughts.

Don’t know their problems but if it is money based on the years they want to award a new coach, perhaps they should try what Westerville Central did when they hired John Magistro. A big name coach to just coach and not teach, but I’m sure the guy would be in the school watching over his kids. It certainly worked at a large school like Central.
it gets a highly qualified coach in place and saves the District money.

Not sure, but an educated guess is that he's from Pickerington. Anyone who has a kid in the district (I do), knows canal is hiring former Pickerington employees. My guess is the new HC has Pickerington ties.
Nate Hillerich? Yeah, no way in Hades. :cool: But would certainly be interesting, and he'd be next-door to his alma mater. Sherlock Hillerich occupying the former lair of the evil Professor Mauroarty? Ironic.

Last edited:
More interviews, being conducted this week. Maybe they’ll have someone in place, by next week. Haven’t heard of any big names applying

I know I may be late here, but what was the deal with them posting the job then reposting it? Did they not get the interest they wanted or someone turn down an offer?

I know I may be late here, but what was the deal with them posting the job then reposting it? Did they not get the interest they wanted or someone turn down an offer?
From what I could gather, the job was turned down by their top two candidates, for various reasons. They had an internal candidate, but I’m not sure what happened with him. After their top two guys didn’t work out, they opened the job up again

So Sayers is the coach at Northland and Kuhner the Watkins head coach.

Sayers is a huge head scratcher. Only spent year at Nortland went .500 and got blown out by Eastmoor twice.

Must not have had a ton of qualified applicants? I know somebody mentioned Stoudt formally of Westy South. He seems like a better option IMO

has kuhner ever had a winning season
Not sure but you need to look at where he has coached. Not exactly the hotbed of high school football. I think you need to look at how he ran his program and if they improved over time. I know JK personally but have no idea if this rumor is true. I like his toughness and competitiveness. I also think he can get a good coaching staff to join him.

Not sure but you need to look at where he has coached. Not exactly the hotbed of high school football. I think you need to look at how he ran his program and if they improved over time. I know JK personally but have no idea if this rumor is true. I like his toughness and competitiveness. I also think he can get a good coaching staff to join him.

At some point you have to coach the kids you have and stop looking for the next job. Coaches are supposed to coach no matter the talent. If you look at how the program is run then you will see that he has not done a great job. Watkins is a good coaching job and has talent and size especially in the conference they are in and Watkins (11-17 the past 3 years) has not been impressive to say the least.

At some point you have to coach the kids you have and stop looking for the next job. Coaches are supposed to coach no matter the talent. If you look at how the program is run then you will see that he has not done a great job. Watkins is a good coaching job and has talent and size especially in the conference they are in and Watkins (11-17 the past 3 years) has not been impressive to say the least.

I agree. I've never been impressed with Watkins. They had some awful teams under Severino and they are the big fish in the LCL, yet underachieve.

Both of those guys have ties to Pickerington. Seems like that’s what the admin wants
Not sure why they are limiting themselves to coaches with Pickerington ties. Canal has a lot to work with in my opinion.
Interestingly, Pick Central has added a couple of former head coaches to their staff. Brian Haffele was the head coach at Marion Franklin for 15 years and had a 100-35 record.
Byron Mattox just joined the Pick Central coaching staff last week. He coached Walnut Ridge for 15 years and compiled a 106-42 record. Both Brian and Byron have kids coming up through PC.
I could see both of these guys becoming a head coach again once their kids are out of school. I imagine coach Sharrett will retire at some point so maybe one of these guys take over after that.

Hearing it is Ryan Sayers or Jake Kuhner

Get the t-shirts printed ASAP if Sayers gets the job.

"All Gas No Brakes"

Brian Haffele will definitely be a head coach again, guaranteed. Not sure about Mattox, I could see him enjoying the asst coaching for a while.

Both of those guys have ties to Pickerington. Seems like that’s what the admin wants
Not sure why they are limiting themselves to coaches with Pickerington ties. Canal has a lot to work with in my opinion.
Interestingly, Pick Central has added a couple of former head coaches to their staff. Brian Haffele was the head coach at Marion Franklin for 15 years and had a 100-35 record.
Byron Mattox just joined the Pick Central coaching staff last week. He coached Walnut Ridge for 15 years and compiled a 106-42 record. Both Brian and Byron have kids coming up through PC.
I could see both of these guys becoming a head coach again once their kids are out of school. I imagine coach Sharrett will retire at some point so maybe one of these guys take over after that.
Because people who are paid to think on these matters within CW schools think like it is 2011 and not 2021. They think CW and Pickerington are similar, because of the common trajectory of being once-small farm schools turned big suburban schools. Because they're neighbors. Because there is turf between the two districts. That because there are similarities, however vague and facile they may be really be, that Pickerington is the example to follow.

Same reason why NFL owners got swept into the craze 3-4 years ago about hiring coaches and front office personnel from the Patriots. Because surely, if you hire from dynasties then you too will replicate the structures that lead to similar success! Right?!? It's misguided thinking, pure and simple, to believe Canal needs a Sharrett/Phillips/Hillerich disciple heading the new era of their football. Now, if the thought process is they need someone who understands the "Big School"/OCC game, yeah, okay, but there are ~30 other schools in Central Ohio that you can tap the knowledge from!!!

Because people who are paid to think on these matters within CW schools think like it is 2011 and not 2021. They think CW and Pickerington are similar, because of the common trajectory of being once-small farm schools turned big suburban schools. Because they're neighbors. Because there is turf between the two districts. That because there are similarities, however vague and facile they may be really be, that Pickerington is the example to follow.

Same reason why NFL owners got swept into the craze 3-4 years ago about hiring coaches and front office personnel from the Patriots. Because surely, if you hire from dynasties then you too will replicate the structures that lead to similar success! Right?!? It's misguided thinking, pure and simple, to believe Canal needs a Sharrett/Phillips/Hillerich disciple heading the new era of their football. Now, if the thought process is they need someone who understands the "Big School"/OCC game, yeah, okay, but there are ~30 other schools in Central Ohio that you can tap the knowledge from!!!
I think there is something to be said for having a coach that has experience coaching the demographic of the school that is looking for a coach. For example, not sure I would hire a coach from Centerburg to go coach at Eastmore. Coach Sharrett is a unique individual and one of the few that can pretty much coach whatever he has. Not a big fan of Hellerich or any of their assistants for that matter. Nobody has done so little with so much talent. No discipline on or off the field and no loyalty to the players that come up through his program. But he does have the hype machine on full go non stop. He definitely wins a Twitter championship every season. Based on his Twitter feed you would think he coaches at Central rather than North.

I think there is something to be said for having a coach that has experience coaching the demographic of the school that is looking for a coach. For example, not sure I would hire a coach from Centerburg to go coach at Eastmore.
Hey, pretty sure Hartley hired a coach from Centerburg about 12 years ago. Seemed to work out for them! I kid -- I know the comparison of BH to Eastmoor isn't perfect, and it's pedantic to take it too literally. Just busting your chops there, bro.

Coach Sharrett is a unique individual and one of the few that can pretty much coach whatever he has. Not a big fan of Hellerich or any of their assistants for that matter. Nobody has done so little with so much talent. No discipline on or off the field and no loyalty to the players that come up through his program.
100% agree.

But he does have the hype machine on full go non stop. He definitely wins a Twitter championship every season. Based on his Twitter feed you would think he coaches at Central rather than North.
Also agreed. Central's got the better Twitter game, anyways. Especially the hoops account!