Western Buckeye League 2021

It’s not like we are judging these teams in a vacuum. Each team doesn’t play the same playoff schedule every year. Not every team plays in the same division. I’d love to see Van Wert play the teams Wapak has played in the playoffs. In 2018, Wapak played Connor Bazelak, Missouri’s current starting quarterback as a freshman who was one of the best freshmen in the SEC. Did Van Wert play anybody that is even going FBS on scholarship, let alone power 5? That Alter roster also had other 3 and 4 star players on it. Same thing with the Trotwood teams Wapak played. They were always loaded with talent and ran through a GWOC schedule that was mainly D1 and D2 teams.

The only we can judge without hypotheticals is by playing each other. Wapak has the most WBL title since Moyer’s arrival, and the most since Van Wert’s 0-10 season. You’re jokes about losing in the first round or regional finals or whatever are funny I suppose, but since 2014 Wapak has been to more regional finals than Van Wert has in the history of their program. It’s not Wapak’s fault they play legit teams in the playoffs instead of country bumpkin schools like Port Clinton, Keystone, Shelby, Bellevue or an all white private school like Lake Catholic. Basically just a rerun of the WBL schedule.
Keystone has a WR who’s a sophomore already with a scholarship offer from Kentucky
Lake Catholic’s QB is offered a PWO at Akron
And how did Wapak do in those regional finals? Van Wert was up on Shelby 49-0 at halftime in theirs.
They beat 4 teams who were undefeated before playing them. They beat a Bellevue team that hadn’t allowed more than 2 touchdowns all season and VW scored twice in 2 minutes of gametime and led 28-0 at one point.
You’re making it seem like Van Wert winning a state championship was in part to who they played. I guarantee no Wapak team would have beaten Wyoming or Lake Catholic.

Wapak has been the best team on the WBL the last decade. Van Wert won the state championship and they deserve all the credit in the world for that. case closed.
Concur.
Winning a title is tough.
For those who have it will live forever in that program and will always give them a leg up.tp places that have not.

Oh no, FootballFan20 has started to like my posts. I’ve realize I’ve been sounding like too much of a homer. I will temporarily retire for about a week and come back and get some more arguments going

Concur.
Winning a title is tough.
For those who have it will live forever in that program and will always give them a leg up.tp places that have not.
a special feeling for sure and i’m sure a community like Van Wert will never forget it.

I know Tucson likes to join threads to get people riled up.
You act like I haven't been around WBL threads for years. I'm not some troll that joins in with unintelligent posts to be a jerk. I'd like to think my posts are thoughtful and considerate of all the teams in the league. You might not like that I disagree with your opinions and call you out on what I consider hypocrisy, but that's just the reality of participating in an online discussion board (and I'm not the only one disagreeing with you either). :LOL:

I just don’t see his logic in saying just because a team had a year where they weren’t the best in the league means they aren’t one of the top programs in the league.
Where did I say this? When did I say Wapak wasn't a top program in the league? I've criticized their offense. I shared disappointment about their performance during their 2020 season. I've said they don't automatically deserve to be considered the favorite for 2021. But, roll the receipts, I've also said:
Wapak does have a solid defense, refreshed stadium, and a culture of success there and I'm sure they'll be hungry after a disappointing season.
Wapak is going to overwhelm the majority of the WBL, winning in the trenches and with their strong running backs
To be fair, it's also worth noting that Wapak is 4-0 vs Bath, 4-0 vs Elida, 4-0 vs O-G, 5-0 vs Defiance, and 5-1 vs Shawnee in that time frame as well.
Those are just my recent posts in the past couple pages, but I'm sure I can dig up more old posts where I've Wapak is a top program in the league. At the end of the day, yeah I criticize Wapak, but I give them credit as well. I have my own biases, just like you, but I also have a lot of respect for the WBL so I try to check my bias as best as I can. If anything, I might overcorrect and be more critical of Wapak rather than favor them as a homer.

Based on the responses, it looks like you're the one that's just out here riling people up. :cool:

Last edited:
It’s not like we are judging these teams in a vacuum. Each team doesn’t play the same playoff schedule every year. Not every team plays in the same division. I’d love to see Van Wert play the teams Wapak has played in the playoffs. In 2018, Wapak played Connor Bazelak, Missouri’s current starting quarterback as a freshman who was one of the best freshmen in the SEC. Did Van Wert play anybody that is even going FBS on scholarship, let alone power 5? That Alter roster also had other 3 and 4 star players on it. Same thing with the Trotwood teams Wapak played. They were always loaded with talent and ran through a GWOC schedule that was mainly D1 and D2 teams.

The only we can judge without hypotheticals is by playing each other. Wapak has the most WBL title since Moyer’s arrival, and the most since Van Wert’s 0-10 season. You’re jokes about losing in the first round or regional finals or whatever are funny I suppose, but since 2014 Wapak has been to more regional finals than Van Wert has in the history of their program. It’s not Wapak’s fault they play legit teams in the playoffs instead of country bumpkin schools like Port Clinton, Keystone, Shelby, Bellevue or an all white private school like Lake Catholic. Basically just a rerun of the WBL schedule.

This is beyond laughable. Wapak plays legit teams but those little country schools have no talent, huh?

Heard of Brennan Armstrong? Current QB at Virginia who led Shelby over St. Marys in 2017.

Evan Prater? Once again, over St. Marys.

As stated, Keystone has a WR, Ryne Shackleford going to Kentucky. Same program had a TE also at Kentucky.

Defiance in 2013 played (and was destroyed by) Toledo Central Catholic led by Deshone Kizer.

But yeah, you're right. It's only Wapak playing tough competition. Poor Wapak, they don't get a chance to play these D4 country schools that are undefeated for a reason and send kids D1. ??

I think I had it wrong. Kenton isn't the delusional fanbase in the league. Passionate, yes. Misguised, yes. Rowdy, absolutely. But at least we don't hear 20,000 excuses for them losing and claims that they're all alone getting stuck playing tough playoff competition.

This is beyond laughable. Wapak plays legit teams but those little country schools have no talent, huh?

Heard of Brennan Armstrong? Current QB at Virginia who led Shelby over St. Marys in 2017.

As stated, Keystone has a WR, Ryne Shackleford going to Kentucky. Same program had a TE also at Kentucky.

Defiance in 2013 played (and was destroyed by) Toledo Central Catholic led by Deshone Kizer.

But yeah, you're right. It's only Wapak playing tough competition. Poor Wapak, they don't get a chance to play these D4 country schools that are undefeated for a reason and send kids D1. ??

I think I had it wrong. Kenton isn't the delusional fanbase in the league. Passionate, yes. Misguised, yes. Rowdy, absolutely. But at least we don't hear 20,000 excuses for them losing and claims that they're all alone getting stuck playing tough playoff competition.
It might be easier for them if they said they were jealous that Van Wert won state.

And none of those teams compare to Trotwood or Alter.

And none of those teams compare to Trotwood or Alter.

Your look-at-who-we-have-t0-play-whoa-as-me-attitude is very telling.

In the playoffs you either put up, or shut up and whining about whom you play is for, well, losers.

You think that team about 30 miles to your west ran home with their tail between their legs and made excuses to league foes who won titles when they had to face Cardinal Mooney? Archbishop Kettering Alter? Bishop Hartley? Ursuline?

You are just a snot nosed little brat who is jealous of a league opponent because they won a state title. That is as petty as it gets.

Enjoy your 'impressive' win and commiserate with your buddies how unfair it is you have to face a really tough team in the playoffs.

Jealous of Van Wert for winning a state title. For shame, for shame. I sorta thought Wapak would be better than that, but apparently not.

Your look-at-who-we-have-t0-play-whoa-as-me-attitude is very telling.

In the playoffs you either put up, or shut up and whining about whom you play is for, well, losers.

You think that team about 30 miles to your west ran home with their tail between their legs and made excuses to league foes who won titles when they had to face Cardinal Mooney? Archbishop Kettering Alter? Bishop Hartley? Ursuline?

You are just a snot nosed little brat who is jealous of a league opponent because they won a state title. That is as petty as it gets.

Enjoy your 'impressive' win and commiserate with your buddies how unfair it is you have to face a really tough team in the playoffs.

Jealous of Van Wert for winning a state title. For shame, for shame. I sorta thought Wapak would be better than that, but apparently not.
It honestly shocks me how many people here can't just go "Congrats Van Wert, look forward to playing you guys next year" and can't move on to actually talk about what's coming back in the WBL. Really brings out the jealous/disgruntled WBL posters on here.

It honestly shocks me how many people here can't just go "Congrats Van Wert, look forward to playing you guys next year" and can't move on to actually talk about what's coming back in the WBL. Really brings out the jealous/disgruntled WBL posters on here.
I have tried to discuss the upcoming season

FootballFan20 trying to save face after getting called out with pinpoint accuracy.
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 12.58.22 PM.png

I enjoy a good dog pile on someone bringing it on themselves... Even if it's me.

"Wapak regains their rightful place at the top of the league."

That's.....pretty much all it said about next year.

Not sure if I missed this amidst all of the... conversation... but are there any coaching changes within the WBL for 2021? I don't remember seeing anything, but just curious. It's amazing sometimes how a new coach can breathe life into a program (i.e. Elida). If not, any coaches who folks feel like may be on the "hot seat"?

I haven't heard of any changes. Gotta think the way Celina has been coaching wise that they're perennially on the hot seat. At Defiance, I'd love to say I have total confidence in Kline based on his past success at Edgerton and Bryan, but the problems every year are pretty much the same....turnovers, penalties, overall lack of discipline, and offensive style changes that make no sense and make continuity hard. Not sure how much longer he can survive 2-3 win seasons.

What do numbers look like at the JH levels across the league?

While W's and L's are not the end all, be all, I always take note of participation numbers at the JH level because they always drop come HS.

What do numbers look like at the JH levels across the league?

While W's and L's are not the end all, be all, I always take note of participation numbers at the JH level because they always drop come HS.
I think most JH numbers are probably around 15-25 for each grade. I think if each high school grade gets about 10-15 kids that would be considered a success in the WBL.

I think most JH numbers are probably around 15-25 for each grade. I think if each high school grade gets about 10-15 kids that would be considered a success in the WBL.
Does the WBL field soccer teams for JH? Or does that start up in high school like golf?
I'm just curious if JH football has to compete with soccer like HS does.

I think this is another bad take. I don't think it's fair at all to say 2020 was a "weak year in the WBL." It was quite literally one of the most successful seasons in recent WBL history. We had a state champion for the first time in a long time. We had a league team (O-G) beat that state champ during the regular season giving VW their only loss. O-G and St Marys both picked up two playoff wins before bowing out. Kenton, Bath, and Defiance also won the first round playoff against out of league opponents. 7 of the 10 WBL teams finished tied for 5th place or better in the league. The WBL was incredibly competitive, that was a lot of the conversation in the 2020 WBL discussion topic - how level the playing field seemed. Just because it was a down year for Wapak doesn't mean it was a down year for the rest of the league.

Even 2020 aside, I don't think it's fair to say "They didn't do anything significant until this year" when in 2018 they had a very successful campaign making the playoffs, winning their first round match-up, and only being eliminated to fellow WBL foe, St Marys. Wapak has 4 first or second round exits from the playoffs in the past decade. Wapak, probably more than any other WBL team, should be able to empathize with Van Wert. VW had a couple 0-10 seasons in the 2010s and now they've clearly bounced back with a few winning seasons and some state championship hardware. Prior to Wapak being the "king of the WBL hill" (as it's being described here on Yappi), they were largely doormats and the folks in the stands were at the game for the marching band. VW might not have all the WBL trophies Wapak has accumulated over the past decade, but they do have that state title and momentum. I wish VW the best. And I hope Wapak can break in that refreshed stadium reaching new heights of success.
Regardless, Van Wert took Bellevue and Shelby to the shed; 2 schools I thought could make a run for the Title as well. I'm surprised Sandusky and Richland County Family Services haven't investigated the beatdown Cougars gave.

Regardless, Van Wert took Bellevue and Shelby to the shed; 2 schools I thought could make a run for the Title as well. I'm surprised Sandusky and Richland County Family Services haven't investigated the beatdown Cougars gave.
I don't think anyone in the state had Van Wert up 28-0 against Bellevue in the 3rd and up 49-0 on Shelby at halftime.

The Bath, Celina, and Defiance jobs will all be open within the next couple of years. Two of those three have "community head coaches" who shouldn't be in their respective positions.