Western Buckeye League 2021

Wapak will rebound. The sophomore class is special and Goulet is the type of player that can carry a team on his back. I’m not sure why this other guy things the passing game/Moyer’s offense “hinders” Wapak’s ability to compete against the “top teams in the WBL”. Like I said and proved prior, since Moyer came to the league Wapak has been the best program, and St. Mary’s is the only one that’s close. Both teams that are Wing-T and don’t pass.

SM is the only team close to Wapak? Or the team that gives Wapak the most trouble? 2 different things.

In the last 10 years, OG is 8-2 against SM - outscoring them 346-159. That's an average of 35-16. Not sure when Moyer arrived in the WBL, but I'd say pretty conclusively that OG has been better than SM.

Although OG hasn't beat Moyer yet, the games have almost always been tough, hard-fought contests with many being close scores. 2019 game was a 7-6 war. Feel pretty confident OG would have beaten Wapak this year, even with both teams healthy, but we'll never know.

SM is the only team close to Wapak? Or the team that gives Wapak the most trouble? 2 different things.

In the last 10 years, OG is 8-2 against SM - outscoring them 346-159. That's an average of 35-16. Not sure when Moyer arrived in the WBL, but I'd say pretty conclusively that OG has been better than SM.

Although OG hasn't beat Moyer yet, the games have almost always been tough, hard-fought contests with many being close scores. 2019 game was a 7-6 war. Feel pretty confident OG would have beaten Wapak this year, even with both teams healthy, but we'll never know.
You could even say Van Wert has given Wapak trouble the last 4 seasons, wins in 2017 and 2020 and a tight loss in 2019.

In the past 5 seasons (2016-2020), Wapak is:
  • 3-2 vs. Kenton
  • 3-2 vs. Van Wert
  • 3-2 vs. Celina
  • 2-3 vs. St Marys
So I agree. It's not just SM and VW. Wapak typically has a head scratching loss at some point in the season. Some of their losses to Kenton were offensive nightmares where they couldn't get on the scoreboard to save their lives. And most surprising, Celina's a team that gives them trouble. You'd think that'd be a layup, especially since St Marys is 5-0 vs. Celina in that same time frame and most have been blowout wins.

To be fair, it's also worth noting that Wapak is 4-0 vs Bath, 4-0 vs Elida, 4-0 vs O-G, 5-0 vs Defiance, and 5-1 vs Shawnee in that time frame as well.

Wapak will rebound. The sophomore class is special and Goulet is the type of player that can carry a team on his back. I’m not sure why this other guy things the passing game/Moyer’s offense “hinders” Wapak’s ability to compete against the “top teams in the WBL”. Like I said and proved prior, since Moyer came to the league Wapak has been the best program, and St. Mary’s is the only one that’s close. Both teams that are Wing-T and don’t pass.
Which is probably why neither team ever won a regional championship! Can't throw!!

• 3-2 vs. Kenton
  • 3-2 vs. Van Wert
  • 3-2 vs. Celina
  • 2-3 vs. St Marys
So I agree. It's not just SM and VW. Wapak typically has a head scratching loss at some point in the season. Some of their losses to Kenton were offensive nightmares where they couldn't get on the scoreboard to save their lives. And most surprising, Celina's a team that gives them trouble. You'd think that'd be a layup, especially since St Marys is 5-0 vs. Celina in that same time frame and most have been blowout wins.

To be fair, it's also worth noting that Wapak is 4-0 vs Bath, 4-0 vs Elida, 4-0 vs O-G, 5-0 vs Defiance, and 5-1 vs Shawnee in that time frame as well.
Confused about that mark against Celina...... 3-2?

The Celina loss in 2020 was a tough one but we were resilient with so many kids out. Truesdale and Moyer put on a show with their coaching in that one!

The other was 2017. Wapak lost to Celina at home in overtime, 28-34. Wapak finished 6-4 that season compared to Celina going 7-3.
So you are saying the top team in the WBL, who's rightful spot a the top, was only 6-4 as recent as 2017?

Are they not as powerful as that JH kid has been poting on here?

You could even say Van Wert has given Wapak trouble the last 4 seasons, wins in 2017 and 2020 and a tight loss in 2019.

2017: Wapak’s two all league defensive ends were out due to injuries the game before, and all league safety went down in the 3rd quarter with compartment syndrome. All for Van Wert to squeak out a 6 point win.
2020: Van Wert absolutely slaughtered a Wapak team that had their best players back from COVID at the beginning of the week.

Does Van Wert win either of these games if the tides are turned? Absolutely not. But even with these wins, they still are 2-5 against Moyer since his arrival. With losses of
2014: 42-0
2015: 21-20 (VERY good Van Wert team, 5-5 but all of their losses came within 7 points. Wapak LB had to make a game winning tackle to win the game on 2 point conversion.
2016: 52-6
2018: 42-12
2019: 13-7 (Van Wert’s only score came off a freak tipped pass on a backup CB, otherwise they weren’t in the game after Treece threw 3 interceptions)

I’ll be generous and just give Van Wert two of those wins, 2015 and 2019. So that gives Van Wert a 4-3 record against Wapak, yet they have been out scored 190-105 even with the wins I’ve given them. Trouble? Sure. But more like a Purdue/Iowa kind of trouble ?

So you are saying the top team in the WBL, who's rightful spot a the top, was only 6-4 as recent as 2017?

Are they not as powerful as that JH kid has been poting on here?

Marion Local just lost to New Bremen! Maybe you’re on to something Tucson, maybe they aren’t the top program in the MAC anymore ?

• 3-2 vs. Kenton
  • 3-2 vs. Van Wert
  • 3-2 vs. Celina
  • 2-3 vs. St Marys

Since 2014,

Kenton has one league title
Van Wert and Celina has none officially, though Van Wert shared it this year with OG

Wapak has 5
St Mary’s has 3
OG has 2 officially, 3 including this year

I notice an outlier

Marion Local just lost to New Bremen! Maybe you’re on to something Tucson, maybe they aren’t the top program in the MAC anymore ?
Since 2014,

Kenton has one league title
Van Wert and Celina has none officially, though Van Wert shared it this year with OG

Wapak has 5
St Mary’s has 3
OG has 2 officially, 3 including this year

I notice an outlier
No offense dude, but you have such blind allegiance to immediately defend Wapak that you're neither following the conversation nor willing to entertain any critical discourse on Wapak.

My post was specifically about teams that have given Wapak trouble. I could not have been more clear about that. No where in my post did I make any reference that the teams I listed as giving Wapak trouble were WBL championship caliber - in fact I said the opposite - that it was head scratching some of their losses to Kenton and Celina. So your reference to Marion Local/New Bremen is really a non sequitur. No one is contesting that Wapak has won the league titles that they've won. We're just saying there are other good teams in the WBL that are competitive with Wapak - and that's what your contesting. It borders on arrogance and poor sportsmanship.

2017: Wapak’s two all league defensive ends were out due to injuries the game before, and all league safety went down in the 3rd quarter with compartment syndrome. All for Van Wert to squeak out a 6 point win.
2019: 13-7 (Van Wert’s only score came off a freak tipped pass on a backup CB, otherwise they weren’t in the game after Treece threw 3 interceptions).
I'll give you this - you always have excuses and hypotheticals up your sleeve! I will point out the hypocrisy in you mocking Van Wert for only "squeaking out" a 6-point win in 2017, yet Van Wert threw 3 INT's in 2019 in a game VW "wasn't in" only for Wapak.. to earn a 6-point win. Make it make sense. (And 2019 vs. Van Wert is another legitimate example of Wapak's uninspiring offense - they forced all those turnovers and couldn't put the game away? Not sure why you're confused about my critiques of Wapak's O. :LOL:).

Trouble? Sure. But more like a Purdue/Iowa kind of trouble ?
Amidst your entire posts, I'd say this is the most disappointing. What we're not going to do is continue to discredit Van Wert's growth as a program.
Comparing Van Wert to a Purdue/Iowa is actually pretty insulting to see within the WBL community. Van Wert is a state champion. We should be celebrating them as a conference. They accomplished something Wapak hasn't even come close to (except in your hypotheticals). Van Wert was winless and in the basement of the WBL not that long ago. So was Wapak for the longest time (in the recent past). The fact that Wapak folks are on here not giving Van Wert the credit they deserve for digging themselves out of that hole, yet demanding respect from others for being a top tier team in the league now... perfectly encapsulates y'alls egocentrism. I mean really, you think Wapak is the Ohio State in this example? Give me a break.

2020: Van Wert absolutely slaughtered a Wapak team that had their best players back from COVID at the beginning of the week.

Does Van Wert win either of these games if the tides are turned? Absolutely not. But even with these wins, they still are 2-5 against Moyer since his arrival. With losses of
2014: 42-0
2015: 21-20 (VERY good Van Wert team, 5-5 but all of their losses came within 7 points. Wapak LB had to make a game winning tackle to win the game on 2 point conversion.
2016: 52-6
2018: 42-12
2019: 13-7 (Van Wert’s only score came off a freak tipped pass on a backup CB, otherwise they weren’t in the game after Treece threw 3 interceptions)

I’ll be generous and just give Van Wert two of those wins, 2015 and 2019. So that gives Van Wert a 4-3 record against Wapak, yet they have been out scored 190-105 even with the wins I’ve given them. Trouble? Sure. But more like a Purdue/Iowa kind of trouble ?
You think Van Wert, who won playoff games with players out would have lost to Wapak in 2020 if the tables were turned? Hilarious, the 2020 game wasn’t even close. Saying that Wapak would have even came close to winning is absurd.
Don’t you remember the 2019 game where Van Wert’s running back and Dru Johnson did not play and they lost 13-7, and if you remember Van Wert dropped what would have been the winning touchdown.
I don’t understand the discredit of Van Wert for building up the program from an 0-10 program to winning a state championship in 4 years.
Maybe if Wapak fans woke up and realized it’s not 2015 anymore they’ll realize that other programs are doing much better.

Last edited:
Wapak has been the best team on the WBL the last decade. Van Wert won the state championship and they deserve all the credit in the world for that. case closed.

Completely agree my man. Being a Wapak fan, I’ve always had the utmost respect for OG. They are the smallest team in the league but without a doubt a top program. Like you said, they haven’t had a win against Wapak yet but they have always been right there. 21-14 in 2014, 31-21 in 2016, 21-6 in 2018, 7-6 in 2019. Three league titles including this year also. I believe without a doubt if they played this year OG would have won. Van Wert beat Wapak convincingly and OG was just as good if not better.

I think your point brings up a good point. Does head to head matter in terms of comparing programs? It seems we have this three headed monster at the top of the WBL with OG, St. Mary’s and Wapak. Wapak has a commanding head to head over OG, but OG has a commanding head to head over St. Mary’s, and then Wapak and St. Mary’s are pretty even. Who’s the best program? They all are great

Undefeated Marion Local lost to a team they beat earlier in the year that ended up being state champs? :eek: What a gigantic fall from grace, how could anyone consider them a top team in the MAC?!

What a dumb comment to make

You think Van Wert, who won playoff games with players out would have lost to Wapak in 2020 if the tables were turned? Hilarious, the 2020 game wasn’t even close. Saying that Wapak would have even came close to winning is absurd.
Don’t you remember the 2019 game where Van Wert’s running back and Dru Johnson did not play and they lost 13-7, and if you remember Van Wert dropped what would have been the winning touchdown.
I don’t understand the discredit of Van Wert for building up the program from an 0-10 program to winning a state championship in 4 years.
Maybe if Wapak fans woke up and realized it’s not 2015 anymore they’ll realize that other programs are doing much better.

I’ve given credit to Van Wert multiple times in this thread for winning a state title. Coach Recker deserves a lot of respect for turning around this program. I’m just defending my hometown school.

Van Wert had a great season, and them making it to the playoffs 2 seasons ago was impressive too.

If they can be consistent, that’s great. Only three teams have shown consistency for longer than three years and that’s Wapak, St. Mary’s and OG. Van Wert will belong in that tier if they win a WBL title IMO, because officially they are still without one.

Undefeated Marion Local lost to a team they beat earlier in the year that ended up being state champs? :eek: What a gigantic fall from grace, how could anyone consider them a top team in the MAC?!

Obviously you missed the sarcasm in my comment. I know Tucson likes to join threads to get people riled up. I just don’t see his logic in saying just because a team had a year where they weren’t the best in the league means they aren’t one of the top programs in the league. I still believe Marion Local is the top program in the MAC. Don’t worry buddy. It’s okay.

I’ve given credit to Van Wert multiple times in this thread for winning a state title. Coach Recker deserves a lot of respect for turning around this program. I’m just defending my hometown school.

Van Wert had a great season, and them making it to the playoffs 2 seasons ago was impressive too.

If they can be consistent, that’s great. Only three teams have shown consistency for longer than three years and that’s Wapak, St. Mary’s and OG. Van Wert will belong in that tier if they win a WBL title IMO, because officially they are still without one.
You must be hanging out with FootballFan20. You don’t think winning a state championship (something no WBL school has done since 2002) puts Van Wert as apart of the top tier of the WBL?

Marion Local will continually fall as they are supposed to be ready down.

As far as the WBL, I would like to see Celina to

rebound. Never had anything against wapak but with W20 fan on here changes my mind.

You must be hanging out with FootballFan20. You don’t think winning a state championship (something no WBL school has done since 2002) puts Van Wert as apart of the top tier of the WBL?

Consistency. Consistency. Consistency. That’s all I want to see. A state title is impressive. I never won one in high school. Most of the people on Yappi didn’t.

Who cares what I want to see? I’m just some dude on Yappi.

Consistency. Consistency. Consistency. That’s all I want to see. A state title is impressive. I never won one in high school. Most of the people on Yappi didn’t.

Who cares what I want to see? I’m just some dude on Yappi.
I don’t think they pass out rings for consistently losing in the playoffs either

Maybe if Van Wert lost in the Regional Quarterfinal they would be in the top tier of the WBL

It’s not like we are judging these teams in a vacuum. Each team doesn’t play the same playoff schedule every year. Not every team plays in the same division. I’d love to see Van Wert play the teams Wapak has played in the playoffs. In 2018, Wapak played Connor Bazelak, Missouri’s current starting quarterback as a freshman who was one of the best freshmen in the SEC. Did Van Wert play anybody that is even going FBS on scholarship, let alone power 5? That Alter roster also had other 3 and 4 star players on it. Same thing with the Trotwood teams Wapak played. They were always loaded with talent and ran through a GWOC schedule that was mainly D1 and D2 teams.

The only we can judge without hypotheticals is by playing each other. Wapak has the most WBL title since Moyer’s arrival, and the most since Van Wert’s 0-10 season. You’re jokes about losing in the first round or regional finals or whatever are funny I suppose, but since 2014 Wapak has been to more regional finals than Van Wert has in the history of their program. It’s not Wapak’s fault they play legit teams in the playoffs instead of country bumpkin schools like Port Clinton, Keystone, Shelby, Bellevue or an all white private school like Lake Catholic. Basically just a rerun of the WBL schedule.