What Movies Did You Watch In January 2021?

The Marksman (2021) - Liam Neeson(s) is an Arizona rancher and Vietnam vet and former Marine who comes across a boy and mother running from the cartel on his ranch. The mother dies and has Neeson(s) ensure the kid gets to family in Chicago as the cartel pursues. Some plot holes and predictability through awful foreshadowing but not too bad. It is amazing how, for as good as an actor he is supposed to be, Liam Neeson never loses his Irish accent. This was the first time I was actually at a movie theater since before covid. Me and all 6 other people. The entire theater was dead. I hope they do not go away because I still enjoy a big popcorn and experiencing a movie on the big screen.

4.5/8

Svengali (1931)

Horror: This film turns 90. Strange romance brews between an old maestro and one hot babe who's boyfriend suspects foul play. What a performance by John Barrymore as Svengali he alone saves this one and the babe is really nice to look at!!!! ... 4.0/8

After She Wakes (2019)

Horror: A mother and daughter deal with something that feeds on grief or something like that. This one was really boring and the acting sucked. Lost interest in it and not really sure what the heck happened at the end nor did I care.... 2.0/8

City of Dead Men (2014)

Horror: 21 year old Michael is struggling with the death of his brother so he takes off and ends up in Columbia of all places. Out of luck and money he comes across a group of rebels who shack up at an abandon mental hospital who take him in and manipulate him into doing dangerous challenges in order to become one of the Dead Men. This one in a way reminded me of "The Lost Boys". No, there are no vampires but the guys name is Michael and he is being initiated into a group where the leader plays mind games...... This one got rock bottom reviews but I found that I liked it ... 5.0/8

The Alamo: 4/8

Not one of my better purchases. A good 20 minutes too long. It lacked any kind of excitement despite a good cast.

Good Boys (2019) 4/8 Coming of age comedy about a groups of boys who have been friends since kindergarten about to enter jr. high. Plenty of laughs, decent movie, but it's been done many times before.

I remember laughing every time Jacob Tremblay cursed or said anything dirty, because you could tell he felt so uncomfortable doing it.

The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchel (1955): 7/8 Growing up, Billy Mitchel and Rickonbacker were two of my favorite stories. Even with that bias I think it fair to say this is worth a watch. Nicely done roles by big stars and established character actors and Elizabeth Montgomery a vastly underrated beauty and a darn good actress. Made before my time. A pretty good year in Hollywood, many movies I'd love to see in a theatre.

Out of the Past (1947) - Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas, Rhonda Fleming - Film noir. Found myself rooting for Greer's bad girl character. Just maybe because she was so-ooo bad. Mitchum is a good enough guy while Douglas is an obnoxious bad guy. Not too surprisingly Fleming is bad, also, infected by the disease that greed is. In somewhat typical fashion for noir, the ending is a question mark. 6/8

Bombshell - A powerful movie that needed to be made about the toxic corporate culture in electronic media and, to some extent, all corporate environments. Well acted and many of the choices for casting made for uncanny resemblances. Margot Robbie never fails to give a great performance.

6/8

Some Kind of Wonderful (1987) - Next to Ferris Bueller (1986), this is my favorite John Hughes film. Mary Stuart Masterson's character, Watts, is endearing in a way that is hard to describe. I believe we all knew girls like her in high school and we wanted to get to know them better. A lot of guys would be too intimidated to follow through though.

6/8

The Little Things- 4/8. It was ok, but extremely cliched and disappointing given the vaunted cast. Leto was really good, but Denzel and Rami Malek weren’t anything special. This is a movie that would’ve benefitted with a longer screen time.

She really was excellent as Tonya Harding. She must’ve studied the 30 for 30 on Harding/Kerrigan bc she absolutely nailed her mannerisms and body language.
The question is...could she kick a 15 yard extra point.

See what happens when you think?
Someone put you on a booster seat so you can see the computer today?
Never had trouble seeing my computer. However, I’m not sure how you can read or type with your head firmly lodged up your own rectum.

Never had trouble seeing my computer. However, I’m not sure how you can read or type with your head firmly lodged up your own rectum.
Surprised that your speak and spell has wifi...
SPEAK.png

Antwone Fisher: 7/8 Man, I need to find some comedies.... This was not what I thought it was going to be.
One of my favorite Denzel movies, even though it's really not his movie (well except for the fact that it was his directorial debut), but you know what I mean he wasn't the main character. Did you see Viola Davis??

One of my favorite Denzel movies, even though it's really not his movie (well except for the fact that it was his directorial debut), but you know what I mean he wasn't the main character. Did you see Viola Davis??
kinda hard to miss since she was the whole point of the movie but didn't look like her. I usually keep a browser tab open to the credits so I can follow who is playing who. That's the only reason I noted it.