TRAC 2021

They have a good football coach that has attracted good talent. Their other programs are decent. When Dempsey finally leaves or retires, the landscape will change.

When Dempsey leaves Central Catholic might just cease to be if they don't hire someone to keep the football legacy going...without the football team propping up enrollment, they probably wouldn't have enough money to function anymore. Not being overly dramatic about that, it's a very real possibility.

That is a good story. What are you? A McHugh or McClellan? :D

I always heard it had to do with Jesuit education. Cleveland and Cincy have Jesuit all boy schools (Iggy & X) and Toledo was not going to be an exception.

There were a lot of locations more accessible to the city population that they could have put a "Jesuit" education. It was downtown to begin with ;) The reasons I'd been given hold up I think, it was from someone that should know. They were looking to get rid of heavily taxed property and build a school in the higher economic growth areas. That they tacked on "Jesuit" was probably because it was available. Ot it could have been part of a wider effort. This wasn't the only Jesuit built in the cabbage patches around that time, using similar building design too as I recall.

Last edited:
There were a lot of locations more accessible to the city population that they could have put a "Jesuit" education. It was downtown to begin with ;) The reasons I'd been given hold up I think, it was from someone that should know. They were looking to get rid of heavily taxed property and build a school in the higher economic growth areas. That they tacked on "Jesuit" was probably because it was available. Ot it could have been part of a wider effort. This wasn't the only Jesuit built in the cabbage patches around that time, using similar building design too as I recall.
Anderson land.

And correct, Walsh Jesuit (Akron's version).

They have a good football coach that has attracted good talent. Their other programs are decent. When Dempsey finally leaves or retires, the landscape will change.
Wrong. When Dempsey leaves it will because he sees the landscape changing and knows it is time to get out. Good coaches with superior firepower do not lose to Avon, Avon Lake, and Clyde.

Dempsey is decent and continually poaches top coaches to be his assistants. His offense has not been very good since Donnelly left and his bully defense that Toth installed and Brown now runs only works when you can outdude people and simply blitz more than they can block. It is a gimmick.

I've watched CC double down on recruitment every step of the way. From Palka, to Hedden, to Chipka CC has upped their recruitment game.

That Clyde-TCC game was awesome! Play zone instead of man and CC wins though.

Did the Anderson family donate the land or sell it? You sure?

Avon, Avon Lake, Clyde...... physical schools. I think I've said this a time or two.
I feel bad continually bringing those schools and those respective teams up because it sounds as though I am speaking down on them which I am not.

Those three teams played extremely well and were well coached. I also believe all three got shellacked a week later. lol.

With that said, CC blew them all out of the water not only when it comes to talent but also depth (two platoon - multiple D1 guys).

I thought the land was donated. Anderson was not Catholic, he simply married one. The family became Catholic and when SJ was looking for a landing spot they donated the land. At least how I understood it.

picking at a long second hand memory but it's saying donated. Make a difference?

Last edited:
I thought the land was donated. Anderson was not Catholic, he simply married one. The family became Catholic and when SJ was looking for a landing spot they donated the land. At least how I understood it.

Nice way to reduce the property tax burden while also using the tax system to probably not have to pay a cent of income tax that year. That was around when the Andersons started their Lawn Care and Ferts Division.

Last edited:
Washington Local board is discussing open enrollment in their meeting tonight apparently...looks like Whitmer won't have that excuse/complaint anymore.

Probably the greatest upset I’ve ever seen. Central completely disrespected their opponent that night, I don’t even think they had a safety. Just pure man to man press coverage and they got fried

Washington Local board is discussing open enrollment in their meeting tonight apparently...looks like Whitmer won't have that excuse/complaint anymore.
I was wrong when I said they would lose money, I didn’t realize the funding aspect of it. If a student lives outside of the district, and enrolls in Washington Local, they get the full state funding (picked up by the home district). If a family moves into Washington Local, since it is a capped district, they would only receive a portion of the funding from the state. What a ridiculous way to find schools around the state. I knew it was illogical, but this blows my mind.

Hopefully someone teachers Whitmer coaches how to recruit

I feel bad continually bringing those schools and those respective teams up because it sounds as though I am speaking down on them which I am not.

Those three teams played extremely well and were well coached. I also believe all three got shellacked a week later. lol.

With that said, CC blew them all out of the water not only when it comes to talent but also depth (two platoon - multiple D1 guys).
2011 Avon went on to the state final, losing to Trotwood...which is still the most talented team I've ever seen Avon face. The Mo Douglass recruiting machine was in full force back then.

2013 Clyde was pounded by the aforementioned Trotwood, which had cruelly dropped to D3.

2018 Avon was pounded by Hoban in the state semi.

2020 Avon Lake lost the regional final to Avon 20-17. Avon battled Hoban tough in the semi, so it's likely TCC would have done well against Hoban had they got there.

I don't believe TCC ever faced the AW or Perrysburg playoff teams over the past decade in the actual playoffs, correct?

I was wrong when I said they would lose money, I didn’t realize the funding aspect of it. If a student lives outside of the district, and enrolls in Washington Local, they get the full state funding (picked up by the home district). If a family moves into Washington Local, since it is a capped district, they would only receive a portion of the funding from the state. What a ridiculous way to find schools around the state. I knew it was illogical, but this blows my mind.

Hopefully someone teachers Whitmer coaches how to recruit

Not to get too political, but it definitely pushes the incentivizes the "School Choice" program, odd that the Statehouse would essentially develop programs to promote schools stealing from each other considering the former governor's wife was so involved in Charter Schools and Textbook companies...

Oh well...I just hope this doesn't drive down property values like it has the very high likelihood of doing.

Not to get too political, but it definitely pushes the incentivizes the "School Choice" program, odd that the Statehouse would essentially develop programs to promote schools stealing from each other considering the former governor's wife was so involved in Charter Schools and Textbook companies...

Oh well...I just hope this doesn't drive down property values like it has the very high likelihood of doing.
Wouldn't it potentially keep values stable or higher because someone living in a TPS area (most of Toledo) could still send their kids to, for example, Washington Local. Otherwise it creates a vacuum and people will vacate otherwise nice areas because of the school system.

Wouldn't it potentially keep values stable or higher because someone living in a TPS area (most of Toledo) could still send their kids to, for example, Washington Local. Otherwise it creates a vacuum and people will vacate otherwise nice areas because of the school system.

I was thinking of the inverse, now someone doesn't need to move into a community to go to the schools meaning demand for communities would decrease...not to mention the potential impacts on educational outcomes in districts depending on what students are coming in (could be positive or negative depending).

I think it definitely will increase the value of homes in Toledo Public that border Washington Local. There are tons of homes that are very close to Washington Local, but are TPS.
This is going to really hurt TPS sports when kids who are good athletes can transfer to Whitmer for free when they get into Junior High. If it’s approved, this is a huge win for Whitmer Athletics. Not so sure the NLL will want them now if this passes. Part of their appeal to the NLL is they can argue that the talent level has diminished, that won’t be the case if this passes.

I think it definitely will increase the value of homes in Toledo Public that border Washington Local. There are tons of homes that are very close to Washington Local, but are TPS.
This is going to really hurt TPS sports when kids who are good athletes can transfer to Whitmer for free when they get into Junior High. If it’s approved, this is a huge win for Whitmer Athletics. Not so sure the NLL will want them now if this passes. Part of their appeal to the NLL is they can argue that the talent level has diminished, that won’t be the case if this passes.

Win for athletics could be a loss for academics. Just ask the traditional Central families who stopped sending their kids there when the outcomes started to drop. You could just as easily see a lot of families (and teachers) moving out of the district if they don't do it right. If the district quality diminishes, the property values in the district would go down.

You're right though...they may have just created a reason not to be added to the NLL, but with them cutting down on that $750,000 net loss from outgoing student enrollment, they probably won't care. Short term benefit is all that matters.

WLS cannot afford a hit on their gradecard, something the privates do not have to worry about. They'll be academically selective also. This IMO emphasizes the need to establish state performance with voucher on a per student basis, public or private. Transfer that money after the performance has been established, then see how the system works. Provide the voucher to the receiving district, essentially some other districts tax money, only after they have shown both a baseline and value added met for the student. See how welcoming districts, how confident they are in their educational system when they are gambling money, instead of free money.

WLS cannot afford a hit on their gradecard, something the privates do not have to worry about. They'll be academically selective also. This IMO emphasizes the need to establish state performance with voucher on a per student basis, public or private. Transfer that money after the performance has been established, then see how the system works. Provide the voucher to the receiving district, essentially some other districts tax money, only after they have shown both a baseline and value added met for the student. See how welcoming districts, how confident they are in their educational system when they are gambling money, instead of free money.

Completely agree...but we both know those in power would never do that. The way the system is now is completely broken, and they don't care because they're getting what they want. Privates would probably pull the same freedom of religion crap so they don't have to report their numbers publicly to help keep that house of cards stacked up nice and high).

WLS better learn from Rossford. Had 90 (!?) new out of district enrollees this fall, and I bet if you ask anyone in administration there, you'd get a lot of comments about how they should've instituted disciplinary, attendance, and academic related stipulation for a student to be able to remain at that school (I know, because I have).

I mean, a capped school can't get any more money for a student who lives in their district, but gets a nice check for cannibalizing another district. How does that make sense to anyone?

Last edited:
I was thinking of the inverse, now someone doesn't need to move into a community to go to the schools meaning demand for communities would decrease...not to mention the potential impacts on educational outcomes in districts depending on what students are coming in (could be positive or negative depending).
This will clearly hurt the home values inside Washington school district (but as pointed out will increase those that neighbor it) as now people will not have to buy a house there if they want there kids to attend Whittmer. I am a few years from selling my house and I would love for my district to become closed enrollment force those people to come and buy a house and pay the taxes to educate their kids.

This will clearly hurt the home values inside Washington school district (but as pointed out will increase those that neighbor it) as now people will not have to buy a house there if they want there kids to attend Whittmer. I am a few years from selling my house and I would love for my district to become closed enrollment force those people to come and buy a house and pay the taxes to educate their kids.

The numbers are anecdotal for a district that size. Those looking to cross boarders are not likely to have the resources to buy a new home, they're not in the market. Housing values will not be lowered in WLS and rents, probably not housing values will rise in PP and parts of the north and west ends. Of schools surviving because of vouchers, it will hit Central Catholic more than most.

I'd predict this would be used mostly by those out in the Point Place and north end who have their kids "live with Grandma" because she lives on the WLS side of a street or are sending them to Waite or one of many voucher schools, primarily Cherry St. Probably new enrollees more than those presently there. With the covid, Freshmen haven't really become emotionally part of their TPS schools so it might hit their sophomore classes.

It might hit onesy-twosy those that really wanted to avoid CCHS so badly, they're sending their kids far to Rossford, Northview, Stritch, even SJJ. But the only school with significant numbers affected with be Cherry St. You will also see them hit from the near Westside, Scott district as the commute from there to Whitmer is not bad at all.

TPS will get hit by its Vo-Tech program, which I'm not sure has shown itself effective or well led. The magnets might not get hit, the Aviation center probably won't get hit as it draws from outlying districts. But I think it will be an attraction if a kid/family is able to learn their skilled trades when they're all housed in one place, a place near jobs and they're not having to attend a foreign environment to get that training.

Thinking about the numbers, I think WLS could start this up by only vouchering Vo-Tech, from 7th to 12th. Unless they decide to actively compete with Penta, we're talking dozens into the whole WLS system more than we are hundred's of kids. TPS can absorb this. Cherry St will struggle to do so and have to dig deeper into TPS.

Last edited:
Some big news will be coming to this thread here in a little bit!! Could deal with a high level coach on his way out.........