Northwest Ohio Realignment

It's not always about numbers. It's program strength. Numbers have a lot to do with it, but not all. Look at the City League. Big numbers but not necessarily strong programs.
The City League lacks white privilege or they would be better.

People keep disparaging Maumee. (Not necessarily you.) I haven't been in the halls of Maumee for a long time so maybe there has been some cultural shift, but Maumee was a solid program for decades and in a league of schools smaller than them I think they could get much better in a hurry.

The BVC will have to make that decision this year as Vanlue only has 6 players returning. The Vanlue coach in an article after the season all but admitted that they will not have a team next year and blamed it on all the student leaving due to open enrollment. Can't really blame the kids for leaving since not many kids want to go to school with only 10 other kids in their grade.
If they both choose to not field football teams, that leaves 8 schools with teams for the upcoming season, so that’s easy. If they can add Elmwood it become a bit more complicated.
For Vanlue going 8 man football makes the most sense and for Cory-Rawson, they just need the right coach to get numbers up (eliminating soccer wouldn’t hurt either) their enrollment is not far behind other members of the league who have been quiet successful.
The BVC was short sited when they gave HN the boot, but in their defense HN has just spend 20 years giving everyone in the league an atomic wedgie in football. For them to refuse to field a varsity team because of low numbers was lame, when you are in a league with Vanlue who can make it through a season with 17 players, you really can’t use numbers as an excuse.

If they both choose to not field football teams, that leaves 8 schools with teams for the upcoming season, so that’s easy. If they can add Elmwood it become a bit more complicated.
For Vanlue going 8 man football makes the most sense and for Cory-Rawson, they just need the right coach to get numbers up (eliminating soccer wouldn’t hurt either) their enrollment is not far behind other members of the league who have been quiet successful.
The BVC was short sited when they gave HN the boot, but in their defense HN has just spend 20 years giving everyone in the league an atomic wedgie in football. For them to refuse to field a varsity team because of low numbers was lame, when you are in a league with Vanlue who can make it through a season with 17 players, you really can’t use numbers as an excuse.

well they both are on everyone’s BVC schedule this year, so each team would have to scramble to fill those slots. But yes, just eight teams would be good going forward.

CR should be good for next year, I believe they had a bigger Jr class of players the following year the numbers may get tighter. If Value is unable to field a team does the BVC let LCC fill in again for another year?

CR should be good for next year, I believe they had a bigger Jr class of players the following year the numbers may get tighter. If Value is unable to field a team does the BVC let LCC fill in again for another year?
I would be shocked if BVC lets LCC in, even if it is for the short term

At what point does one get tired of dealing with maybe, possibly, etc?

They did this year but a number of teams BVC teams declined to play them.

You are correct no way LCC get in the BVC other than a 1 year stop gap for football only.

as you said, not even the one year stop-gag worked this year. It was fairly embarrassing for the BVC as far as I’m concerned. Someone clearly wasn’t on the same page within the league.

I would be absolutely thrilled to have Bryan leave the NWOAL and join the NLL. I have to laugh at whoever said Archbold should join the NLL over Bryan. It's only 15-20 minutes more of a drive. Logistically the drive for all NLL schools to Bryan would be easy. 24 to 6.

Tom Held doesn't want to join based on his tweets. I know this is a football thread, but Bryan, Wauseon, Defiance, Napoleon, and Maumee in a conference together for baseball?!? That would be awesome!

I would be absolutely thrilled to have Bryan leave the NWOAL and join the NLL. I have to laugh at whoever said Archbold should join the NLL over Bryan. It's only 15-20 minutes more of a drive. Logistically the drive for all NLL schools to Bryan would be easy. 24 to 6.

Tom Held doesn't want to join based on his tweets. I know this is a football thread, but Bryan, Wauseon, Defiance, Napoleon, and Maumee in a conference together for baseball?!? That would be awesome!

That would be a crazy baseball conference...but generally, I think that would be a super fun conference in general. Could see a lot of good football, basketball, hell, even soccer games in there.

I just, as I've said, want to be back with Bryan and Napoleon. Bryan at this point IS our baseball rival (kinda already were, but Held jumping and both program's success since cemented it.) Even the basketball games between Defiance and Bryan are a fun atmosphere, even in years when one is clearly better. The fact we haven't played in football in almost 50 years is a shame and at the least I'd like to see a yearly scrimmage. That game would instantly feel more intense, IMO, than anything we feel in the WBL. I get the stability factor and that factors in if we don't get the perfect fit. But IMO if we get our 2 rivalries in league and as an added bonus could get Wauseon too, I think we'd have to at least strongly consider it.

As for Napoleon, that will always be the most important game, but I can just envision a year (if we ever don't suck) where that's week 10, mega playoff points, league title on the line. It's one of the better rivalries in the state already, but just imagine that scenario.

I wonder if this happens would the NLL should have Hockey? They could leave the privates stuck in no man's land in that sport.

I wonder if this happens would the NLL should have Hockey? They could leave the privates stuck in no man's land in that sport.
I think everyone would stay in that conference. Since so few schools have hockey, I think what local teams we have will still stick together independent of all these conference changes.

I think everyone would stay in that conference. Since so few schools have hockey, I think what local teams we have will still stick together independent of all these conference changes.
I just looks up all the schools that are in the league.

1611163070624.png

The only private would not appear to not be in the NLL is Lake's club team. The biggest issue with excluding the privates is not many JV options. I have little knowledge on this but I do think teams are happy with this league but was wondering if it could impact it. On the other hand if the AD's are that pissed off at the privates I could see them making the change.

Schools with hockey compete in the Northwest Hockey Conference. I think he NLL schools should have a weekend tournament to determine an NLL champion, but I might be the only person who thinks that is a good idea.

NLL schools - AW, BG, Maumee, P'burg, Northview, & Southview have varsity hockey. Springfield club only, but they compete in the NHC. Napoleon, none.

TRAC schools - Clay, Findlay, & Whitmer have varsity teams in the NHC, Fremont too, but it's a club team. St. Francis & St. Johns are in the NHC, TCC does not have a team.

Lake in the NBC has a club team.

Seriously??? Bryan has one sport they are good in...the rest they are average at best. If you can't beat the small schools on a regular basis or even 50% of the time...why would you want to go to the NLL where even baseball would be a challenge to win 50% of the time???

I just looks up all the schools that are in the league.

View attachment 13704
The only private would not appear to not be in the NLL is Lake's club team. The biggest issue with excluding the privates is not many JV options. I have little knowledge on this but I do think teams are happy with this league but was wondering if it could impact it. On the other hand if the AD's are that pissed off at the privates I could see them making the change.

Pretty sure Maumee is a club sport too...unless something changed in the last few years. Maumee's Athletics Department didn't have the money to fund that sport, so I'd be shocked if they changed after losing as many kids as they have.

Pretty sure Maumee is a club sport too...unless something changed in the last few years. Maumee's Athletics Department didn't have the money to fund that sport, so I'd be shocked if they changed after losing as many kids as they have.
The school's website lists hockey as a varsity sport.

The school's website lists hockey as a varsity sport.

Kids got varsity letters for it in the past as well, but they didn't support it financially as they would an actual varsity sport (players had to buy their own pads, fundraise for jerseys, ice time, etc.). That's more what I meant...and I don't know if that has changed, that was what my primary comment.

Schools with hockey compete in the Northwest Hockey Conference. I think he NLL schools should have a weekend tournament to determine an NLL champion, but I might be the only person who thinks that is a good idea.

NLL schools - AW, BG, Maumee, P'burg, Northview, & Southview have varsity hockey. Springfield club only, but they compete in the NHC. Napoleon, none.

TRAC schools - Clay, Findlay, & Whitmer have varsity teams in the NHC, Fremont too, but it's a club team. St. Francis & St. Johns are in the NHC, TCC does not have a team.

Lake in the NBC has a club team.
I went to a maumee vs tcc hockey game one time and tcc had quite a few players. Weird that they no longer have a team

The City League lacks white privilege or they would be better.

People keep disparaging Maumee. (Not necessarily you.) I haven't been in the halls of Maumee for a long time so maybe there has been some cultural shift, but Maumee was a solid program for decades and in a league of schools smaller than them I think they could get much better in a hurry.
You are kidding about the privilege comment right?

Seriously??? Bryan has one sport they are good in...the rest they are average at best. If you can't beat the small schools on a regular basis or even 50% of the time...why would you want to go to the NLL where even baseball would be a challenge to win 50% of the time???
I agree with you in football. The coach can't coach...it is what it is. The "small" schools are pretty damn good in football. Boys were the all-sports champions in the c/o 19 and have been in the top 2-3 consistently over the last 10 years.

I agree with you in football. The coach can't coach...it is what it is. The "small" schools are pretty damn good in football. Boys were the all-sports champions in the c/o 19 and have been in the top 2-3 consistently over the last 10 years.
I apologize...I forgot about Tennis, Golf, and Cross Country. Bryan is good in those sports also. But still, leaving the NWOAL for the NLL would make very little sense for them. Simple solution would be to bring Defiance and Napoleon back in to the NWOAL if you want rivals in baseball and they are looking to leave their respective leagues.

I apologize...I forgot about Tennis, Golf, and Cross Country. Bryan is good in those sports also. But still, leaving the NWOAL for the NLL would make very little sense for them. Simple solution would be to bring Defiance and Napoleon back in to the NWOAL if you want rivals in baseball and they are looking to leave their respective leagues.
I agree. The drive for them for the NLL schedule is not easy and they would be a bottom to middle tier team in most if not all sports. Overall it would be a huge jump for them in regards to football. Bryan is a very poorly coached football team. It is tough to overcome that. The "small" schools of the NWOAL have been really good the last 5 years. The teams that Bryan wins against 50% time i.e. LC,PH,Archbold would all have winning records against Napoleon and Defiance over the last 5 years. I am not being disrespectful to Napoleon and Defiance but those "small" schools have been good lately.

Swanton, Delta, and Evergreen are already looking to get out. Defiance and Napoleon would push them out. I know there's not much out there, but they could always team up with what's left of the TAAC in the meantime.

So then you're at 7. Would PH stay? If not you're back at 6. Then what? The only realistic options I could see then are Maumee, Otsego, Tinora.

Defiance would definitely NOT jump if it meant Tinora in the league. If Maumee came, you may as well have just went with the NLL setup. Otsego would decent and would replace Swanton as the D5 bridge between the D3/4 and D6 schools.

I could see Napoleon back in the NWOAL. Defiance will never happen again.

Swanton, Delta, and Evergreen are already looking to get out. Defiance and Napoleon would push them out. I know there's not much out there, but they could always team up with what's left of the TAAC in the meantime.

So then you're at 7. Would PH stay? If not you're back at 6. Then what? The only realistic options I could see then are Maumee, Otsego, Tinora.

Defiance would definitely NOT jump if it meant Tinora in the league. If Maumee came, you may as well have just went with the NLL setup. Otsego would decent and would replace Swanton as the D5 bridge between the D3/4 and D6 schools.

I could see Napoleon back in the NWOAL. Defiance will never happen again.
Swanton is the only one interested in leaving the NWOAL at this time. They are trying to pull Delta and Evergreen into another league with them. Delta and Evergreen are very competitive in most sports...football has been down for both lately but Evergreen just won the league in boys basketball last year and Delta is a state power in wrestling.

Napoleon is much bigger then I thought with enrollment. Not sure if they would have any interest as the people I have talked to from there are happy in the NLL.

Yes I realize Defiance most likely would laugh at the NWOAL but it is a thought. Tinora might be an option but other than football what would they be competitive in?