College Recruitment-Wright State

member1

From a novest....
I just watched Wright State over the last two week play three teams in the Horizon League with local guys..

Youngstown St- Quisinberry(sp) from Wayne
Green Bay-Davis from Trotwood
Cleveland State- Patton from Trotwood

All three of these dudes are player of the year candidates in this conference. Davis gave them like 35 the other night?? Patton averaging a double double beat them with a tip in last night. I know Nagy has had some success but not to recruit one of these dudes??Not one?? They will never fill that arena. Maybe they don't care...Somebody explain this strategy to me because I know for a fact he had no interest in Patton or Davis..Puzzled.

Last edited:

From an novest....
I just watched Wright State over the last two week play three teams in the Horizon League with local guys..

All three of these dudes are player of the year candidates in this conference. Davis gave them like 35 the other night?? Patton averaging a double double beat them with a tip in last night. I know Nagy has had some success but not to recruit one if these dudes??Not one?? They will never fill that arena. Maybe they don't care...Somebody explain this strategy to me because I know for a fact he had no interest in Patton or Davis..Puzzled.

No idea. I don’t think they could fill that arena with even all three on the roster. It’s just what it is. Now if they were terrible and willfully passed on all three, then there should be some demand for answers. Division 1 basketball at this level is always a crapshoot. You can have the best season ever and still have your season ended by a 9-win team in your conference tournament.

From an novest....

All three of these dudes are player of the year candidates in this conference. Davis gave them like 35 the other night?? Patton averaging a double double beat them with a tip in last night. I know Nagy has had some success but not to recruit one if these dudes??Not one?? They will never fill that arena. Maybe they don't care...Somebody explain this strategy to me because I know for a fact he had no interest in Patton or Davis..Puzzled.

You positive WS didn’t recruit these kids at all? Even if they were recruited by WS still player/family decision.

From an novest....

Could be a lot of things when talking about D1 recruiting. Maybe the kid has horrible grades? Does he fit our culture and what we do on offense/defense? Did they reach out to the kid and he’s not interested? So much goes into recruiting kids in football/basketball (especially these days) there could be any number of reasons these guys didn’t end up at Weight State.

Patton did not recieve any interest from them until after his initial commitment. Very late and very un-matter of fact about recruiting him. True story...

It doesn't matter who Wright State recruits, they will always play second fiddle to Dayton and struggle with attendance no matter how competitive the team is.

Between Nagy and Donlon before him, they've finished top-3 in their league 6 of the last 8 years. Nagy has won either the regular season or conference tournament title the last three years. I'd like to see more area players at Wright State, but they've been fairly successful without having much of a Dayton recruiting presence.

I've always thought that Wright State would be better served if they just recruited local players that didn't get picked up by bigger schools.

You'd atleast sell more tickets, I would think.

I honestly think that many just have a bad stigma against WSU, and even the best selling point of those three you mentioned is: They are not Wright State.

I honestly think that many just have a bad stigma against WSU, and even the best selling point of those three you mentioned is: They are not Wright State.

I think there's a lot of truth to this. It's a newer commuter school that doesn't have much student enthusiasm or following for sports. The Nutter Center isn't exactly a great basketball venue and has a cavernous feel with limited atmosphere to it.

Dayton is a juggernaut in this media market. Whether it's butts in the seats or local coverage, they will always trump Wright State.

If you're a local recruit getting low-major to mid-major interest, unless you love the idea of family being at all of your home games you're probably going elsewhere.

I think there's a lot of truth to this. It's a newer commuter school that doesn't have much student enthusiasm or following for sports. The Nutter Center isn't exactly a great basketball venue and has a cavernous feel with limited atmosphere to it.

Dayton is a juggernaut in this media market. Whether it's butts in the seats or local coverage, they will always trump Wright State.

If you're a local recruit getting low-major to mid-major interest, unless you love the idea of family being at all of your home games you're probably going elsewhere.
it would help Wright State to play Dayton yearly. getting a win here or their (which they’re capable of doing) would help with local recruiting a lot.

it would help Wright State to play Dayton yearly. getting a win here or their (which they’re capable of doing) would help with local recruiting a lot.

They should be playing every year, but I wouldn't expect to see it any time soon.

I'm pretty sure former UD coach Don Donoher heavily influenced getting that series started in the late 80s when Wright State was transitioning to D1. Dayton in the present won't play Wright State as losses would be regarded as embarrassing (Wright State went 3-5 in the original series from 1989-1997) and they have no interest in playing at Wright State. For this series to happen again, UD would demand getting at least a 2-to-1 split if not all of the home games.

As many events that’s hosted at Nutter Center its amazing how bad the actual arena is. Then you go 15 mins down the road and UD arena is amazing for a small school. Nutter Center needs revamped I think they could get a lot of local kids no difference in Fairborn and Youngstown. Fairborn is actually a better place to live

As many events that’s hosted at Nutter Center its amazing how bad the actual arena is. Then you go 15 mins down the road and UD arena is amazing for a small school. Nutter Center needs revamped I think they could get a lot of local kids no difference in Fairborn and Youngstown. Fairborn is actually a better place to live
Fairborn/Beavercreek is a much better place to live.

Night and day difference between those two facilities. UD was much better before, but after the latest renovation there's no comparison. UD probably has one of the best facilities of all of the non-power 5 schools.

Night and day difference between those two facilities. UD was much better before, but after the latest renovation there's no comparison. UD probably has one of the best facilities of all of the non-power 5 schools.
But you cant catch a rodeo or tractor pull at UD.

I have noted over the years most all schools pass on local talent. I dont think Wright State is unique in that area. UD used to be good for an offer to an Alter kid most every year, that has changed with recent coaches and their approach.

Local recruits come with much more criticism by local fans for picking "that kid" over "that one".
Often from a distance a school is more attractive to an athlete. Think about how local athletes perceive being recruited by WS verses Dayton. It may be the local stigma associated with WS that causes them to have trouble recruiting local kids, so coaches save time and energy by recruiting out of the area where the same association is not as readily made between UD and WS.

But you cant catch a rodeo or tractor pull at UD.

I have noted over the years most all schools pass on local talent. I dont think Wright State is unique in that area. UD used to be good for an offer to an Alter kid most every year, that has changed with recent coaches and their approach.

Local recruits come with much more criticism by local fans for picking "that kid" over "that one".
Often from a distance a school is more attractive to an athlete. Think about how local athletes perceive being recruited by WS verses Dayton. It may be the local stigma associated with WS that causes them to have trouble recruiting local kids, so coaches save time and energy by recruiting out of the area where the same association is not as readily made between UD and WS.

That's true, but it's also a big part of why it's a much better basketball facility. The seats at Wright State are further off the court than UD due to the much greater variety of events that have been hosted there besides basketball and the occasional concert.

I think for Wright State it's a two-way street. For local kids, I think there's a strong perception that it's a lesser or second fiddle school to Dayton. The last two coaches also had limited at best local ties before getting the job. Nagy is from Texas, and before coming to Wright State he spent 30 years at schools in Illinois and South Dakota. It's probably no coincidence that five of their players are from Illinois and Wisconsin, and two of their in-state scholarship guys are from Wheelersburg and Chillicothe.

Maybe they need a Fickle UC approach to recruiting and making local the priority.
I don't know, is there enough talent within 150-250 miles of Dayton that would go to WS? Just need that wright coach, that wright player with influence to stay local.....
And I wright?

Maybe they need a Fickle UC approach to recruiting and making local the priority.
I don't know, is there enough talent within 150-250 miles of Dayton that would go to WS? Just need that wright coach, that wright player with influence to stay local.....
And I wright?
the university needs to get things together. WSU isn’t a bad place to be. but the university is not in a good financial place.

Amari Davis came here last year pre-Pandemic and at least 100 people went to see him play. Patton had at least 50 there. Neither one of these guys were offered a scholarship by Wright State. Both would have considered it because they are truly home bodies. Davis came down between Green-Bay and Miami of Ohio and MU was there because it was close to home??? Now both are all conference performers that visit the Nutter Center once a year. I would think they should at least spark some interest? Throw an offer out there, at the least. You telling me that the Raiders can't use a few extra butts in those seats. I been there during a game. It ridiculous how empty that place is. That's that steeping stone mentality of coaches they have had. Win and get out here!! Ralph Underhill always had a local guy or two on his roster. Regardless of what you think of him, he knew getting local kids was important to building a program.

Last edited:
Mac level player. Big time? But, a very good recruit for WSU.
Actually he has great ball skills. True post up skills He will play professionally somewhere when he finishes college. I think the only reason that Coach Grant did not recruit him at Dayton is because of style of play. He plays a lot like Luka Garza at Iowa

Actually he has great ball skills. True post up skills He will play professionally somewhere when he finishes college. I think the only reason that Coach Grant did not recruit him at Dayton is because of style of play. He plays a lot like Luka Garza at Iowa
Might be ok D1 player. But seriously not even the shooting stats of Garza in lower level high school basketball versus Big Ten and national level college competition.