Northwest Conference 2020

Per WOSN:

Coach Jared Owens has resigned after 10 Season. Owens went 72-39. Resignation will be official at tonights BOE meeting.

Who will be the next coach for the Knights?
That is still a good job and will be sought after. Maybe they promote Kory Lichtensteiger(who is coaching the OL right now) to head coach? Be nice having a former D1 football guy and 10 year NFL vet as your head coach. He's from Crestview so he isn't going anywhere right now.

coach stepped down strictly to spend more time with his family. kudos to him for going on his terms. This will be a highly sought after job.

If they promote from within it's a no-brainer that Kory Lichtensteiger gets the position, assuming he would accept it. I would imagine he's planning on staying in Crestview for the long haul, I could be wrong but I think he's got a kid in high school. I don't know of any NWC head coaches that would leave where they're at right now for Crestview. Not implying that it's a bad job, just can't see it happening.

If it's not Lichtensteiger does anyone have any guesses?

If they promote from within it's a no-brainer that Kory Lichtensteiger gets the position, assuming he would accept it. I would imagine he's planning on staying in Crestview for the long haul, I could be wrong but I think he's got a kid in high school. I don't know of any NWC head coaches that would leave where they're at right now for Crestview. Not implying that it's a bad job, just can't see it happening.

Holden.

I believe he has a boy that played flag football with my step son (KL that is). I'm not close enough to the program to say whom would or should get the job. Owens did very well with what he had. I may have came off as critical towards him, but that wasn't my intention when discussing their Spencerville matchups. They figured it out when it mattered compared to week 1 and the previous years. I will say that I hope the next coach will be supportive of the new wrestling program in a big basketball school. Getting athletes that are wrestlers will help tremendously on the football field.

Last edited:
I believe he has a boy that played flag football with my step son (KL that is). I'm not close enough to the program to say whom would or should get the job. Owens did very well with what he had. I may have came off as critical towards him, but that wasn't my intention when discussing their Spencerville matchups. They figured it out when it mattered compared to week 1 and the previous years. I will say that I hope the next coach will be supportive of the new wrestling program in a big basketball school. Getting athletes that are wrestlers will help tremendously on the football field.
It'll be a hire from within. My best guess is that Lautzenheiser is taking over. There is interest from other coaches within as well. Jared was a great coach for Crestview. I believe eight straight playoff appearances? He put Crestview on the map after some long years of not getting to the playoffs.

It'll be a hire from within. My best guess is that Lautzenheiser is taking over. There is interest from other coaches within as well. Jared was a great coach for Crestview. I believe eight straight playoff appearances? He put Crestview on the map after some long years of not getting to the playoffs.
Is Jake the high school wrestling coach? I noticed that the first match is tonight. I couldn't find any information on the school website.

Per Ada Bulldogs Twitter account, Ada hired former West Liberty Salem/Bellefontaine coach, Toby Smith to be their next football coach

I haven't heard anything about the Cview job.

Is Ada staying in the NWC?

I've heard nothing about the Crestview job yet - I would bet my money on it being an internal promotion from their existing staff.

Yes, Ada is staying in the NWC.

Saw this on twitter today regarding Crestview:

James Lautzenheiser will be voted on as @CVKnightsSports next head football coach. The vote will come during Monday’s Board of Education meeting. He’ll replace Jared Owens, who resigned after last season. Lautzenheiser was a longtime assistant under Owens.

Saw this on twitter today regarding Crestview:

James Lautzenheiser will be voted on as @CVKnightsSports next head football coach. The vote will come during Monday’s Board of Education meeting. He’ll replace Jared Owens, who resigned after last season. Lautzenheiser was a longtime assistant under Owens.
That is.... interesting to say the least.

D7565A08-77AC-4549-8438-2C1CFEDD3378.jpeg

Was not expecting this. That makes 4 NWC teams that will have turf fields by the 2022 season

Ada, Allen East, Spencerville? Who am I missing?
The city of Delphos along with both schools is installing turf at Stadium Park. I was told it would be done by the beginning of the 2021 season but that was before Covid so I'm not positive if that was delayed or not. The plan was for Jefferson vs. St. John's in week 1 to be the first game on the new turf.

There's plans for a new home side of Stadium Park in the next few years as well

View attachment 13363
Was not expecting this. That makes 4 NWC teams that will have turf fields by the 2022 season
This has been talked about for a few years. Finally got a turf company involved and found out it was feasible. Plans are for it to be used for soccer as well and spring baseball practice.
This should save Ada Park $$ and eventually Ada Schools since they "lease" the use of the field. Long overdue

Per Ada Bulldogs Twitter account, Ada hired former West Liberty Salem/Bellefontaine coach, Toby Smith to be their next football coach

I must have missed this over the last few weeks. This is a very good hire for Ada. He'll do a good job of both building up the program and creating sustainability if he's there for more than a few years.

He probably averaged between 7-8 wins a year between West Liberty-Salem and Bellefontaine for 21 years with 7-8 league titles and double digit playoff appearances. I don't think WLS was ever much of anything in football prior to him, and he helped mold them into a program that's consistently pretty strong every year. They've been to the playoffs at least a dozen times since Smith started there in I believe 1999.

Last edited:
I must have missed this over the last few weeks. This is a very good hire for Ada. He'll do a good job of both building up the program and creating sustainability if he's there for more than a few years.

He probably averaged between 7-8 wins a year between West Liberty-Salem and Bellefontaine for 21 years with 7-8 league titles and double digit playoff appearances. I don't think WLS was ever much of anything in football prior to him, and he helped mold them into a program that's consistently pretty strong every year. They've been to the playoffs at least a dozen times since Smith started there in I believe 1999.
I agree this is a good hire. Actually better than I thought Ada would get and I mean no disrespect to anyone. I hope he is not using it as stepping stone to get back to bigger schools but would not blame him. I know he more or less put WLS on the map and took Bellefontaine to be a consistent winner.

I agree this is a good hire. Actually better than I thought Ada would get and I mean no disrespect to anyone. I hope he is not using it as stepping stone to get back to bigger schools but would not blame him. I know he more or less put WLS on the map and took Bellefontaine to be a consistent winner.
That's what I thought too, and it seems like a win-win for both parties. Ada gets a proven former head coach that built 2 programs to rebuild their own, and Smith gets back to a head coaching position with high potential. Great hire for Ada and very good for the overall strength of the NWC

Crestview officially announces Lautzenheiser as new varsity coach.

Good luck to him. I didn't realize he was that much older than myself. I don't really know him, but know of him. His wife just lived a couple miles to the east of where I grew up in Indiana (on the line) and was my age. Actually had a college course she was in. Graduated high school with her cousin as well.