Dayton Area Basketball

They are top in the GWOC good but too inconsistent at this point right now for me to put them as the top team in the GWOC. They only won 1 qtr against Fairmont, grant it it was a 22-4 whooping but they only won the game by 12. They did the same thing with Beavercreek.... get up by 30 in the first half and then only win by a dozen or so. They looked pretty good against Fairfield winning by 30+..... They have Centerville on Friday and they will need to be more consistent to get a win.....
Not in shape!

Not in shape!

Blew a 9 point lead and with the ball in the 4th qtr against Centerville. 4 turnovers that included back to back soft passes that led to Elk baskets in a short span that led the ELKS comeback. I would like to see them cut down on the rotation and play the top 8 kids.....

Saw Trotwood and DPS got started this weekend. Rams put up 102...Yikes. Did they reload? Anybody got a recap of the game or a preview of the team? Covid-19 got me information-less!
Below is an article I found about the game. They definitely reloaded. They added Anthony McComb, who has been a standout for Thurgood Marshall the past couple years. It also sounds like they have some very good Freshman that could make an impact this year.

Boys basketball: Trotwood-Madison opens delayed season with win (daytondailynews.com)

Below is an article I found about the game. They definitely reloaded. They added Anthony McComb, who has been a standout for Thurgood Marshall the past couple years. It also sounds like they have some very good Freshman that could make an impact this year.

Boys basketball: Trotwood-Madison opens delayed season with

Boys basketball: Trotwood-Madison opens delayed season with win (daytondailynews.com)
Thanks!

Seen Dunbar twice.... looked very impressive against Ponitz.... started out really good against Belmont but had moments of not so good..... it is early but they looked to be easily the top dog in the DPS unless Trotwood is in the DPS now.....

Wayne struggled with Ponitz for a half before going off in the 2nd half scoring 32 3rd qtr points in a 78-50 route. Huge game with Miamisburg on Friday. I have not seen Trotwood yet so I cannot rank them but at this point the top 3 in the area are Centerville, Dunbar, Wayne.

Wayne kept it close with the Elks and probably should have won. Up 9 mid 4th, the Warriors allowed Centerville to get hot from the 3pt line and didn't take care of the ball. Wayne handled the Elks pressure most of the game and their athleticism frustrated the Elks. I didn't think Wayne could be Centerville, but would give the Warriors a slight edge on the rematch at home.

Seen Dunbar twice.... looked very impressive against Ponitz.... started out really good against Belmont but had moments of not so good..... it is early but they looked to be easily the top dog in the DPS unless Trotwood is in the DPS now.....

Wayne struggled with Ponitz for a half before going off in the 2nd half scoring 32 3rd qtr points in a 78-50 route. Huge game with Miamisburg on Friday. I have not seen Trotwood yet so I cannot rank them but at this point the top 3 in the area are Centerville, Dunbar, Wayne.
What about Tipp I have seen they have played well(not sure if it’s because of mvl schedule) they also have one of the better players in area

OK, I checked out Tipp today and they are pretty decent but the competition wasn't that great.

Wayne is looking like crap tonight only scoring 12 points in the first half. Missed dunks, many miss lay-ups, silly turnovers, and not getting back on defense is a great recipe for getting beat. The only thing they are doing good at is rebounding. Cannot have the same mistakes against a quality well disciplined team like Miamisburg in the 2nd half.

Wayne's 22-6 4th qtr onslaught leads to a Rice game winner. Wayne found themselves down by 13 late in the 3rd and down by 12 in the 4th when Fancher's dunk over a burg player sparked the Wayne team. Wayne would finally take a lead on a Curry put back dunk but Burg would tie it on free throws. Wayne played for the last shot setting up Rice driving the lane and scoring with seconds left. Rice would steal the inbound pass and score at the buzzer giving Wayne a huge come from behind win 43-39 at Miamisburg. This was a strange game.... No made 3 point baskets by either team and every point was made by a lay-up, dunk, free throw, or 3 foot jumper...... Miamisburg's defense was the best I have seen this season but Wayne eventually wore them down in the 4th. Both teams were tied for first prior to the game and we don't have to wait long for the rematch as it happens this Tuesday at Wayne.

HH Wayne -- 06 06 09 22 - 43
Miamisburg- 09 10 14 06 - 39

Wayne defeats Miamisburg 59-49. Miamisburg is at Centerville Friday in a huge GWOC game.

Last edited:
How is the kid from Wayne who is at his 3rd different school in 3 years eligible for the second half of the year?
A crazy miscalculation by his family... He would probably be in the varsity rotation at WC. Only 4/7 juniors on Wayne's roster get varsity minutes!! If I'm a parent of one of those juniors that hasn't logged any real varsity minutes I'd be worried for next season. ?

A crazy miscalculation by his family... He would probably be in the varsity rotation at WC. Only 4/7 juniors on Wayne's roster get varsity minutes!! If I'm a parent of one of those juniors that hasn't logged any real varsity minutes I'd be worried for next season. ?

everything that is wrong with amateur sports in one post.

Centerville and Springfield Shawnee still alive in tourney. CJ/Tipp tonight and Cedarville has a game tomorrow.

Shawnee really struggled from the line last night and especially in the 4th quarter, and it blew a double digit lead and almost cost them the game. Clean things up and I think they have a better shot than most would expect against Taft to go to the state tournament. Taft seems to have been a bit limited in terms of personnel the last few games compared to normal.

I think Cedarville has quite a bit of similarity to Botkins. That game is a tossup IMO and I'd probably expect both teams to score 60+. To this point, this will probably be the best chance Centerville has had to get over the hump against Moeller in the tournament. Should be some very good games this weekend.

Elks get over the hump...first tournament loss for Moeller since the 2017 state finals against Massillon Jackson and Kyle Young.