Lowest Score in a Game This Season

my2sense

Seeing Ellet put up 19 points in a boys' varsity game and Canton Central Catholic getting just 24, I was wondering what the lowest score was you've seen in a boys varsity game?

A few years ago, Garfield Heights beat Uniontown Lake, 29-22, in a Cleveland Regional semifinal.

The lowest score I've personally seen was when Wadsworth beat Kent Roosevelt, 37-36, on a buzzer beater in last year's sectional semifinal.

Lowest I saw this year was I think Marion Local 41-29 over Coldwater.
Had to be a snooooooze fest.

A few years ago, Garfield Heights beat Uniontown Lake, 29-22, in a Cleveland Regional semifinal.

The lowest score I've personally seen was when Wadsworth beat Kent Roosevelt, 37-36, on a buzzer beater in last year's sectional semifinal.

Uunfortunately, the state tournament brings stall ball teams along for the ride.

The tournament can bring out a lot more of these low scores. Last year it was Jackson and GlenOak that had quite a stall situation in district play. It is more understandable at that time of the year compared to regular season, but I’m still against intentionally not trying to play the game.

My son and I still complain about watching Holgate at State several years ago, we celebrate every year when they get knocked out. Sorry Holgate faithful, but in our defense they also hogged the waffle maker at our hotel.

that’s quite the accomplishment playing 1 on 5 and only giving up 37 ;)

The lowest that I have seen this year is Botkins beating Jackson Center 29-26 last night. It was 21-18 going into the 4th quarter.

In the last week or so Fairbanks has a 32-30 win and a 32-29 loss.

I remember days back in the early 60's Wayne County would be notorious for low and I mean low scores..6-5, 10-8. Teams would stand and hold the ball for a whole quarter or more especially if they had the lead...wish I'd saved some of those old newspaper articles. Probably some old school yearbooks have them.

I watched Toledo Macomber with Jim Jackson stall against Toledo St. Francis. Macomber won 13-11. The game was played at Waite High School , standing room only with about 3,500 fans booing the entire game.

This year any team that Delta plays has a chance to set some defensive records. Their scores are pretty low.

1610233354005.png

Last year Green beat GlenOak 28-20 in the District Semifinals at the Canton Civic Center. Neither team made a field goal in the fourth quarter. GlenOak only scored 3 in the 2nd quarter and didn't score at all in the 4th. 48 total points is the lowest scoring game I've ever been at. Interestingly, the two teams had played exactly one month earlier and the score was 50-48.

Green boys basketball scores 28 ... and it’s enough to beat GlenOak in district semi - Sports - The Repository - Canton, OH (cantonrep.com)

In 2019 Delphos SJ beat Lima CC 30-29 in the sectional final on a 3 at the buzzer.

In 1963 DSJ played Dayton Dunbar and led 62-50 at HALFTIME!! Final 105-91
In 1964 DSJ lead 64-45 at HALFTIME! Final 109-89 The JV game ended 70-66

I miss real basketball.

I watched Toledo Macomber with Jim Jackson stall against Toledo St. Francis. Macomber won 13-11. The game was played at Waite High School , standing room only with about 3,500 fans booing the entire game.

This year any team that Delta plays has a chance to set some defensive records. Their scores are pretty low.

View attachment 13320
Funny, I was just talking about Macomber and JJ last night. We played them in the regionals and I was amped to see them play, as I had JJ autograph as a frosh, to see some dunks but we played a slow down game.

Ridgewood beat Newcomerstown 75-6 in November. According to MaxPreps, Newcomerstown is 0-4 and averages 22 points per game.

Their scores so far:
Ridgewood L 75-6
Tuscarawas Central Catholic L 81-21
Strasburg L 74-26
Buckeye Trail L 61-35

Plain City Jonathan Alder held Bellefontaine to 16 points two weeks ago. The Pioneers are giving up 36 ppg this year. Last year they gave up 31 or less points an oustanding 10 times. They ended the season giving up an avergae of 35 ppg in 25 games.

The thread should be named, this is why high school basketball needs a shot clock
Not including end of game or end of quarter situations I doubt I've seen more than a handful of possessions this year where a team's possession lasted more than 30 seconds. A shot clock would have no impact.

In last year's D3 sectional tournament at Waverly, Portsmouth scored 22 points in the first half and led 21-1 Eastern Brown 22-20. The 2nd half was a disaster for the Trojans, as they did not score in the 3rd quarter and still had not scored until 3 minutes to go in the game.........and it was not a slowdown game. Portsmouth ended up losing big, scoring a total of only 4 points in the 2nd half.

Plain City Jonathan Alder held Bellefontaine to 16 points two weeks ago. The Pioneers are giving up 36 ppg this year. Last year they gave up 31 or less points an oustanding 10 times. They ended the season giving up an avergae of 35 ppg in 25 games.

I looked up Alder's schedule and see they play local "rival" Shekinah Christian, the smallest school in OHSAA for boys basketball (or at least I saw they were a couple years ago). Shekinah has had some decent teams for a small D4 school in the past, but this year I see they won a 31-29 game against a non-OHSAA school. Uh oh. Bellefontaine is at least a bigger school. We might have a single digit score. Covid is giving some pretty unusual matchups.

I looked up Alder's schedule and see they play local "rival" Shekinah Christian, the smallest school in OHSAA for boys basketball (or at least I saw they were a couple years ago). Shekinah has had some decent teams for a small D4 school in the past, but this year I see they won a 31-29 game against a non-OHSAA school. Uh oh. Bellefontaine is at least a bigger school. We might have a single digit score. Covid is giving some pretty unusual matchups.

That was a last minute add.....so was Briggs......They lost non-league games with DeSales, Westerville South, Hilliard Darby and Trotwood with covid and were forced to make some last minute changes. They were also in on the Canton Glenoak Tourney until that was changed. Shekinah was added last week since they are a mile apart.

That was a last minute add.....so was Briggs......They lost non-league games with DeSales, Westerville South, Hilliard Darby and Trotwood with covid and were forced to make some last minute changes. They were also in on the Canton Glenoak Tourney until that was changed. Shekinah was added last week since they are a mile apart.

Ahh that makes sense. Slight downgrade in competition from Trotwood haha. Looking at past matchups, Shekinah did usually get within 20, including a 90-77 game a few years back!

Ahh that makes sense. Slight downgrade in competition from Trotwood haha. Looking at past matchups, Shekinah did usually get within 20, including a 90-77 game a few years back!
Adding into the fun is Shekinah should be decently familiar with Alder's court, since OHSAA tournament games aren't typically played at SC's gym.

Shekinah has had some players in the past, don't let the enrollment fool you...and their girls have has success in volleyball, including a trip to the final four. And to be honest, when Alder has played them in the past, they have been about the only team to pack the visitor side, which isn't small. Obviously that won't be the case this year, but given the last second schedule, it will do.