Earth is whipping around quicker than it has in a half-century

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Even time did not escape 2020 unscathed.

The 28 fastest days on record (since 1960) all occurred in 2020, with Earth completing its revolutions around its axis milliseconds quicker than average. That's not particularly alarming — the planet's rotation varies slightly all the time, driven by variations in atmospheric pressure, winds, ocean currents and the movement of the core. But it is inconvenient for international timekeepers, who use ultra-accurate atomic clocks to meter out the Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) by which everyone sets their clocks. When astronomical time, set by the time it takes the Earth to make one full rotation, deviates from UTC by more than 0.4 seconds, UTC gets an adjustment.

CCYPJ.jpg

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy

59'th Street Bridge Song - AKA -Feelin' Groovy
Harpers Bizarre (1967) ~ written by Paul Simon
330px-Queensboro_Bridge_from_Manhattan_side.jpg

I WON an evening out on the town/dinner/dancing/$250 gift card knowing the answer
to that song off the radio many moons ago.

:>---

SALT

Last edited:
59'th Street Bridge Song - AKA -Feelin' Groovy
Harpers Bizarre (1967) ~ written by Paul Simon
330px-Queensboro_Bridge_from_Manhattan_side.jpg

I WON an evening out on the town/dinner/dancing/$250 gift card knowing the answer
to that song off the radio many moons ago.

:>---

SALT
You're old.

LXXV and when I go it will be: shot by a 25 year old husband as I'm
leaving thru his wife's bedroom window.
Playa!

And here I thought you'd go quietly in your sleep - while at the wheel of your car, going over a cliff, with all of your passengers screaming.

I've often wondered what would happen if we lined every jet up facing west and locked the wheels while throttling it up to near frictional skid? Seems we may speed earth up a bit. That's a heck of a bunch of leverage with those engines located so far from the axis of the earth.

when you say "jet up facing west," which part of the jet are you facing west? The pointy part or the exhaust? Earth rotates CCW as viewed from North so if you wanted to speed up rotation.... don't you want to point towards morning sun?

And this...

The Earth rotates ~1000 miles per hour. Is it possible to travel above that speed in the opposite direction and go back in time? How fast and how long would it take? How far back in time could you go? Just a day, or more?

Plus, the Earth spins ~67, 000 miles per hour around the Sun. Same questions as above except substitute year for day.

Could we live long enough on these trips to realize the result? What would the result be?

Last edited:
As our Moon continues to move away from Earth, Earth will move faster. A couple of days after I die, Earth will spin off it’s axis, and it will all go hell.