Have you ever made a roadtrip just for a restaurant?

Since I have to been to St. Elmo's and Pleasant Hill Shaker Village I may have to learn where Milford is so that I can go to Roney's and complete the trifecta.

Roney's is the old Roy Rogers[ or RoBee's]; the franchisee had to change their name and become independent when Roy Rodgers was bought out by Hardees in 1990.

If Mrs. Ali (owner of Ben's) says Camp Washington Chili is a rival, I'll have to give it a try. Me and the misses also made the stop at Tony Packo's on the way back from dropping a kid off at a local university in Ann Arbor (got the idea from M.A.S.H/Klinger) minor detour on the way back to NE Ohio. Before finding that York Steakhouse, I hadn't been since they closed the one at Rolling Acres (probably 30 plus years).
Mrs. Ali said that they attended a chili cookoff in Chicago (it was on a daytime talk show, but I cannot remember which) about 15 years ago and she was impressed with Camp Washington. She then took great pride in the fact that they won, beating out Camp Washington's. Since then, she says she has kept up with the Johnson family at Camp Washington and visits when she is near Cincinnati and the Johnsons visit whenever they are in DC. Skyline is my favorite chain but Camp Washington beats them hands down. I would recommend a three way over a coney so that you can really taste the chili. At Ben's the sausage is part of what is so special. Not so with Cincinnati style chili. Price Hill Chili, on the westside gets a lot of press and I love the Beltos family, but, as good as every other item on their menu is, I am not fond of their chili. If you ever go to Price Hill Chili, get the Stinger (hot roast beef, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayo), or any one of their breakfast items.

I love mom and pop places. Asking my son about his first week at OU, years ago, he said "Dad, I ate out last night and didn't even know the owners". That tells you something about our dining out habits.

I remember when I was a teenager, my mom, dad and his friend, wife and daughter all went to the Playboy Club down in Cincy to eat. What an experience that was.

A local in Toldeo took me to the original Tony Paco's, it was alright but I thought I had the same food at Kerby's in Detroit.

You HAVE to be thinking of someplace else. Kirby's has a gravy sauce and uses hot dogs. I'd be surprise there's any flour in Packo's sauce. Never looked at the ingredients list though.

Mrs. Ali said that they attended a chili cookoff in Chicago (it was on a daytime talk show, but I cannot remember which) about 15 years ago and she was impressed with Camp Washington. She then took great pride in the fact that they won, beating out Camp Washington's. Since then, she says she has kept up with the Johnson family at Camp Washington and visits when she is near Cincinnati and the Johnsons visit whenever they are in DC. Skyline is my favorite chain but Camp Washington beats them hands down. I would recommend a three way over a coney so that you can really taste the chili. At Ben's the sausage is part of what is so special. Not so with Cincinnati style chili. Price Hill Chili, on the westside gets a lot of press and I love the Beltos family, but, as good as every other item on their menu is, I am not fond of their chili. If you ever go to Price Hill Chili, get the Stinger (hot roast beef, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayo), or any one of their breakfast items.

I love mom and pop places. Asking my son about his first week at OU, years ago, he said "Dad, I ate out last night and didn't even know the owners". That tells you something about our dining out habits.

I prefer a good Landmark.

That sounds really good right now.

Times have changed, but we used to go to Ponderosa after mass on Sundays when I was a kid, back in the late-sixties to early-seventies. As a kid that loved hamburgers, I always ordered the chopped sirloin steak (mom always made us order "well done"). It came with a piping hot baked potato, dinner roll and a simple salad bar. The first salad bar that I remember. Ponderosa was a real treat back then.
Agreed. My comment was meant as more of a joke. I also have fond memories of the local ‘rosa from back in the day. The old man used to light up a Salem immediately after his steak. But the location we frequented went down hill as time passed. Perhaps open long past its prime, the latter years resulted in poor customer service, questionable cleanliness, and a subpar product in general. While we were sad to see it go from a purely nostalgic perspective, it was time.

1608255678226.png

Sam's Place in Blakeslee, OH
Tackle Box in Fremont
Montgomery Inn in Cincinnati. 3 hour drive there for supper one night

I am making a 90 mile round trip this weekend to eat at C-Town wings in Celina, Ohio.
Their sweet heat sauce on the boneless wings is on point. They also have a wood fire grill with amazing burgers, steaks and prime rib!

Few years ago they moved from downtown to just by Rt 33 on the NE side of Celina. Before they moved, their wood fire grill would permeate the town and man was it amazing.

Found a York Steak house in Columbus while dropping a kid off at the local university, have been planning to get back ever since. That was upscale fine dining for me and my brother when we were kids.

I have been known to venture out of my way if I am anywhere near DC (such as on my way to Ocean City) to make it to Ben's Chili Bowl.

I hear there may be one last Red Barn in WV near the Ohio border, I might need to make a trip to.
Yes Sir, Rolling Acres Mall York Steak House......

I forgot to mention this place, Beefmastor Inn in Wilson, NC. I was in Fayetteville, NC for business and was told we had to go to this place. Was a 90 minute drive and was told we would also have to "tailgate" to wait for a table too. Have to admit it was a great steak but experience was the best part of the deal. This video does a good job of showing what it is like>

After last call at Andy's on Vine in Carthage we would take I-75 up to Lincoln Heights to go to Taco Bell and then wake back up in Carthage the next day having no recollection of how we got the T-Bell.

I can not say that I have travel the 100 mile or more limit just for a restaurant. but I have traveled many miles to a destination and the meal we had would end up being one of the good memories. Example: Stayed the night in the oldest Inn in the state of Virginia . Was not impressed with the accommodations for the over night stay , but what a great meal we had in the restaurant that was part of the Inn.

Mrs. Yoder's in Mount Hope is worth a trip if you want to go down to Amish country. There are some older better know places down there like Der Dutchmen, Das Essenhaus, Amish Door and Dutch Valley, but Mrs. Yoder's is the best. Great buffet that I bet has fallen prey to the Covid.

I've never been to Mrs. Yoder's, but have been to the Amish Door several times. Mrs. Ones would get me to go Christmas shopping in Berlin by bribing me with a trip there.

If anyone decides to take a trip to Alliance, you HAVE to get a pizza at Victorio's. Take one home to bake while you're at it. There is no dine in, and the place doesn't look like much, but then, those are always the best.

Staying within the "road trip" theme.

The Auburn Cafe: 1 hr. Greek restaurant in run-down Ecorse, Mi. Discovered on a football trip but has been worth the trip on it's own. I like it better than local options. Albanian girls going "opa!," lol. Its a local place so not fancy.

Taystee's Burgers: 1 hr. Dearborn. Halaal hamburgers in a gas station. Several trips just to fill a mood.

Tiramisu: 1 hr +. Italian, duh, run by italians in quant with free parking Northville, Michigan. I suppose there is comparable here but I like this one and it's a drive I like. Not too far, not too close. Found accidently by some friends who turned me on to it.

Triple XXX: 2.5 hr. got very nostalgic and hadn't been back to campus in the 30 years since I graduated. This is where I learned to put peanut butter on my hamburgers. Never did know why they have both the word "triple" and "XXX" in the name. Thougths for the drive.

Staying within the "road trip" theme.

The Auburn Cafe: 1 hr. Greek restaurant in run-down Ecorse, Mi. Discovered on a football trip but has been worth the trip on it's own. I like it better than local options. Albanian girls going "opa!," lol. Its a local place so not fancy.

Taystee's Burgers: 1 hr. Dearborn. Halaal hamburgers in a gas station. Several trips just to fill a mood.

Tiramisu: 1 hr +. Italian, duh, run by italians in quant with free parking Northville, Michigan. I suppose there is comparable here but I like this one and it's a drive I like. Not too far, not too close. Found accidently by some friends who turned me on to it.

Triple XXX: 2.5 hr. got very nostalgic and hadn't been back to campus in the 30 years since I graduated. This is where I learned to put peanut butter on my hamburgers. Never did know why they have both the word "triple" and "XXX" in the name. Thougths for the drive.
Saw that on one of those food channels. have had it locally, and it is actually really good that I have done so at home.

Saw that on one of those food channels. have had it locally, and it is actually really good that I have done so at home.

The PB? It usually means an extra trip to the cabinet and comes of purposely esoteric (probably not the right word) so I rarely ask for it. Like you though, if home that's how I make them. Essentially a PB Bacon burger on toast.

Getting so house strung, my usuals are cloistered because of older parents. I'm trying to come up with a day trip to something new and drawing blanks of something that'd be both a nice drive alone heading north and and a good place to eat. Maybe I'll look for towns between the towns I know and get lucky.

Not a restaurant but I always looked forward to the road trip for Dime a Dog Day at Cooper Stadium.
I experienced one of those. My goal was to put down 1 dog every half inning. Mission accomplished plus 2 extra because they would sell up to 5 dogs at a time, but I paid for it later. The Clippers lost. I don't remember the opposing team.

This week we are making a 90 min round trip for one of two places for lunch. Havent decided to go west, or east....

While growing up we could only go east west or south to find the great eating spots . Going north after a half mile we would hit water. If you are old and lived in northern Ohio did you ever have the chance to eat at the Towne Crier Inn in North Ridgeville, Ohio? Still in my top three for a eating experience.

So.......

Mad Dogs of Marysville was the winner.

If you are a hot dog fan, take a trip to beautiful downtown Marysville and hit up Mad Dogs and Beer. You wont be disappointed with great weiners, and a full scare beer bar on tap.
In the summer they have great outdoor seating including a 'bar' right on the curb so close you can give those in cars the Rona when they drive by.

So.......

Mad Dogs of Marysville was the winner.

If you are a hot dog fan, take a trip to beautiful downtown Marysville and hit up Mad Dogs and Beer. You wont be disappointed with great weiners, and a full scare beer bar on tap.
In the summer they have great outdoor seating including a 'bar' right on the curb so close you can give those in cars the Rona when they drive by.

Are they better than those Spanish Dogs at the Rootbeer stand in Troy? I forget the name, but they are very good.

Are they better than those Spanish Dogs at the Rootbeer stand in Troy? I forget the name, but they are very good.
Havent been.
Do they do the 'exotic' crazy toppings hot dogs down there? Mad Dogs has a peanut butter jelly dog that is amazing and theyhave probably 20+ diff crazy styles. Fantastic.

..Also,
This place opened up three days before our Dictator shut the state down.

They some how survived The Purge this year!