Brush leaving WRC

Aurora is the ideal fit. Tallmadge and Kent to the Metro Conference then Springfield and Field to the PTC .
Mogadore Field and Akron Springfield were both I believe approached about joining Mogadore, Rootstown and Ravenna Southeast but declined. Guess they would rather continue the beatings of the Metro being only occasionally successful.

Mogadore Field and Akron Springfield were both I believe approached about joining Mogadore, Rootstown and Ravenna Southeast but declined. Guess they would rather continue the beatings of the Metro being only occasionally successful.

Field is fine where they are at, they were middle of the pack this year. Springfield is going to be down at the bottom no matter where they are at. It wouldn’t be any better with the new PTC additions. Plus, they’ll go where Coventry goes.

I'm wondering if we could see the future WRC expand to 10 teams as originally planned looking something like this:

FOOTBALL
Aurora (SL American geographic outlier)
Chardon
Kenston
Madison
Mayfield
Nordonia (One of the smallest in SL National)
North
Riverside
South
Twinsburg (One of the smallest in SL National)

OTHER SPORTS (5 divisional crossover games)
NORTH (Play division opponent 2x)
Chardon, Madison, North, Riverside, South
SOUTH (Play division opponent 2x)
Aurora, Kenston, Mayfield, Nordonia, Twinsburg

This could also allow for Solon to join the SL with Nordonia gone.

I'm wondering if we could see the future WRC expand to 10 teams as originally planned looking something like this:

FOOTBALL
Chardon
Kenston
Madison
Mayfield
North
Riverside
South

How do you think football scheduling would work? I believe 8 teams is ideal from a Harbin maximization standpoint. I wonder if there’s a way to rotate which 7 teams everyone plays in a year, similar to how large college conferences work, and still give everyone weeks 1-3 to schedule out of conference. Schools like Madison has 2 “rivals” non-conference in Perry and Geneva.

How do you think football scheduling would work? I believe 8 teams is ideal from a Harbin maximization standpoint. I wonder if there’s a way to rotate which 7 teams everyone plays in a year, similar to how large college conferences work, and still give everyone weeks 1-3 to schedule out of conference. Schools like Madison has 2 “rivals” non-conference in Perry and Geneva.
If they did rotate, I would like to see weeks 4-7 as “division” opponents by geography. Then, weeks 8-9 as “inter division” games they draw for. Week 10 dedicated for a seeded playoff based on league record.

Since Brush is gone, my ideal WRC setup (for travel purposes) would be:

WRC Geauga/Lake:
Chardon
Madison
Mayfield
Eastlake North
Willoughby South
Painesville Riverside

WRC Rt. 306:
Aurora
Gilmour Academy
Orange
Kenston
Chagrin Falls
University School
West Geauga?

This is a perfect 12-team setup with respect to travel purposes. Even though Gilmour and US are not part of a conference, and have been able to hold their own on the independent side, being part of the re-imagined WRC would make sense from a geographic standpoint, as the furthest trip they would have to make would be to Aurora (if the Greenmen were willing to join the new WRC)

However, I don't know how good of a league this would be for the Greenmen football-wise, as Gilmour is at Division IV now, but could drop if enrollment drops. Orange is Division IV, and is a mediocre football team at best. But a decent class could at least put them in the middle of the pack. This does make for a good baseball division though.

Even though Chagrin Falls is Division IV, I wonder if they'd be willing to up and leave the CVC, as they've been there since the beginning. They also would have to look at things from a travel standpoint too. Each of their trips outside of Orange is at least 45 minutes away or more. Going to the WRC, and bringing Orange with them would cut down on the travel. (Two trips to Ashtabula County (crossovers) instead of four). If Falls and Orange decided to say peace to the WRC, it effectively becomes an Ashtabula County league.

Also, if West Geauga was interested, and, say, Gilmour or US said no, they'd slot in perfectly with this league from a competitive and travel standpoint. Not only would they get to play Chagrin and Orange on a yearly basis, they could also play Chardon as well, and wouldn't be the only Geauga County school in the Chagrin Division of the CVC. On a side note, I don't know how the CVC is gonna survive long-term with 20+ teams. It's gotta be one of the biggest small-school conferences in the state, let alone the area.

In conclusion, I believe that the WRC will expand to 12 teams (including the three CVC schools not in Ashtabula County), and one of Gilmour/US will join, if not both.

FOOTBALL
Chardon
Kenston
Madison
Mayfield
North
Riverside
South

This would a fun - competitive conference.

This would a fun - competitive conference.

For sure! Across many sports, both boys and girls. I also think a lot of parity with mostly communities that are becoming stagnant or aging in population. But, currently solid schools both academically and athletically.

Since Brush is gone, my ideal WRC setup (for travel purposes) would be:

WRC Geauga/Lake:
Chardon
Madison
Mayfield
Eastlake North
Willoughby South
Painesville Riverside

WRC Rt. 306:
Aurora
Gilmour Academy
Orange
Kenston
Chagrin Falls
University School
West Geauga?

This is a perfect 12-team setup with respect to travel purposes. Even though Gilmour and US are not part of a conference, and have been able to hold their own on the independent side, being part of the re-imagined WRC would make sense from a geographic standpoint, as the furthest trip they would have to make would be to Aurora (if the Greenmen were willing to join the new WRC)

However, I don't know how good of a league this would be for the Greenmen football-wise, as Gilmour is at Division IV now, but could drop if enrollment drops. Orange is Division IV, and is a mediocre football team at best. But a decent class could at least put them in the middle of the pack. This does make for a good baseball division though.

Even though Chagrin Falls is Division IV, I wonder if they'd be willing to up and leave the CVC, as they've been there since the beginning. They also would have to look at things from a travel standpoint too. Each of their trips outside of Orange is at least 45 minutes away or more. Going to the WRC, and bringing Orange with them would cut down on the travel. (Two trips to Ashtabula County (crossovers) instead of four). If Falls and Orange decided to say peace to the WRC, it effectively becomes an Ashtabula County league.

Also, if West Geauga was interested, and, say, Gilmour or US said no, they'd slot in perfectly with this league from a competitive and travel standpoint. Not only would they get to play Chagrin and Orange on a yearly basis, they could also play Chardon as well, and wouldn't be the only Geauga County school in the Chagrin Division of the CVC. On a side note, I don't know how the CVC is gonna survive long-term with 20+ teams. It's gotta be one of the biggest small-school conferences in the state, let alone the area.

In conclusion, I believe that the WRC will expand to 12 teams (including the three CVC schools not in Ashtabula County), and one of Gilmour/US will join, if not both.
Gilmour would not do well in this alignment. They would get crushed in football. They would fare better in all other sports but definitely not football.

Gilmour would not do well in this alignment. They would get crushed in football. They would fare better in all other sports but definitely not football.

Against Aurora and Kenston, probably not. But I could see them finishing in the top half of the field with the right class. Crossovers wouldn't do them any favors unless they got an influx of boys over the next few years, and even then, their chances of beating the big schools are very slim. Not everyone can be Kirtland after all. In order to stay competitive, if they joined, they cannot drop below Division IV. But if Gilmour Academy says no, then West Geauga makes a good replacement.

Against Aurora and Kenston, probably not. But I could see them finishing in the top half of the field with the right class. Crossovers wouldn't do them any favors unless they got an influx of boys over the next few years, and even then, their chances of beating the big schools are very slim. Not everyone can be Kirtland after all. In order to stay competitive, if they joined, they cannot drop below Division IV. But if Gilmour Academy says no, then West Geauga makes a good replacement.
Orange wouldn’t consistently compete in football either. They would fare better in the Valley division with Harvey. I would have argued that most CVC chagrin schools would be content being larger schools than smaller schools in a league. But, with Kirtland’s move to the Chagrin division it may cause some schools to at least consider a move to a new league. Might not be the WRC though.

Orange wouldn’t consistently compete in football either. They would fare better in the Valley division with Harvey. I would have argued that most CVC chagrin schools would be content being larger schools than smaller schools in a league. But, with Kirtland’s move to the Chagrin division it may cause some schools to at least consider a move to a new league. Might not be the WRC though.
At the end of the day, I still think the best approach is a CVC/WRC merger. Take the seven WRC already there and bring them into fold with CVC. This means 14 schools WRC Chardon, Riverside, Kenston, North, South, Mayfield and Madison CVC Lakeside, Perry, Chagrin Falls, Orange, Kirtland, West G, Edgewood. Put them in two separate divisions , play all division opponents and two crossovers. This leaves room for two independent games. This also allows CVC to keep its Metro and Valley divisions. You can adjust divisions based on competitive levels. Just an idea....

We're almost two weeks away from the tentative application deadline for schools interested in joining the WRC. Any talk of schools who have expressed interest?

We're almost two weeks away from the tentative application deadline for schools interested in joining the WRC. Any talk of schools who have expressed interest?
Recently started at News Herald, haven't heard anything yet. I do think that a few teams would be good fits (Twinsburg, Aurora, University, Gilmour, Chagrin Falls) but I haven't heard anyone applying yet

Recently started at News Herald, haven't heard anything yet. I do think that a few teams would be good fits (Twinsburg, Aurora, University, Gilmour, Chagrin Falls) but I haven't heard anyone applying yet

Chagrin Falls wants NO part of that league. Of the ones you mentioned, Gilmour seems like they have the most reasons to apply and be accepted.

Thanks for the feed back and good luck to you! I spent a year there as a sports clerk/obits during college. Great people!

I would add Nordonia to your list if they are a package deal from the SL with Aurora and Twinsburg. As an eighth school, I would think Solon. They offer the variety of boys/girls sports, like Lacrosse, the WRC is interested in.

Last edited:
Chagrin Falls wants NO part of that league. Of the ones you mentioned, Gilmour seems like they have the most reasons to apply and be accepted.
I would have agreed with you prior to Kirtland bumping up to the CVC Chagrin this year. Other than Perry, I don't see any of the Chagrin Division schools wanting to finish runner-up to the Hornets every year in football. Gilmour may apply, but I don't see the WRC schools wanting a private school in their league footprint who can recruit players from them. West Geauga has bumped up to D3 this year, so I think if they apply the WRC would be mutually interested. West G also offers a variety of girls/boys sports, like Lacrosse, the WRC is interested in.

Teams like Perry and West G aren’t going to leave their current situation to be the smallest school in a league. I just don’t see it. These schools have been willing to play current WRC schools in football over the years (Riverside, Chardon, Madison) - but playing one of them a year in non-conference compared to seven is quite different.

Along with the biggest complainer (Chagrin), I would guess that Perry and West G were the among biggest supporters of getting Kenston and Aurora out of the CVC.

They may be smaller than all of the WRC, but their athletic and scholastic programs deserve credit that they would compete in most, if not all.
I will say their facilities are top notch. Wouldn't know it was smaller than Kenston or Riverside based on the facilities. Plus they have a lot of good programs that would fit in with the other WRC teams

Thanks for the feed back and good luck to you! I spent a year there as a sports clerk/obits during college. Great people!

I would add Nordonia to your list if they are a package deal from the SL with Aurora and Twinsburg. As an eighth school, I would think Solon. They offer the variety of boys/girls sports, like Lacrosse, the WRC is interested in.
Also if Solon joins, where does that leave the GCC? They only then have 6 and that would be a problem for them I feel

Also if Solon joins, where does that leave the GCC? They only then have 6 and that would be a problem for them I feel
We are already down to 6 after this year. I doubt Solon joins the wrc. Actually hurts their travel (or same at best ) and the competition across sports would be far inferior. They compete well now in the gcc.

6 is fine for every sport except football. Actually helps a spread out league to have more out of conference games to schedule neighbor schools

Last I heard, no official applications, but a few schools who showed interest were Nordonia, Perry, and Bedford. This was about a month ago though, so maybe things had changed.

There were more, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.

We are already down to 6 after this year. I doubt Solon joins the wrc. Actually hurts their travel (or same at best ) and the competition across sports would be far inferior. They compete well now in the gcc.

6 is fine for every sport except football. Actually helps a spread out league to have more out of conference games to schedule neighbor schools
Was it Elyria that left as well? I've been out of the loop for a while and just now getting back into it

Last I heard, no official applications, but a few schools who showed interest were Nordonia, Perry, and Bedford. This was about a month ago though, so maybe things had changed.

There were more, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.
Thank you for your insight! I think a couple people mentioned Nordonia may be interested as they are the smallest in the SL National and it doesn't appear they will be bumping down to the American Division anytime soon. I'm a little surprised by Perry, but they have strong rivalries with Riverside, Madison, and Chardon. And, they already compete with much of the WRC in most sports.

Anyone have any insight on Bedford's interest in leaving the LEL? Joining the SL and WRC would increase travel. The only possibility I can think of is they may earn more revenue participating in another league because the LEL schools have low travel attendance? I really have no idea.

Last edited: