What are your top metal/rock albums for the year 2020?

vamp2syd

These are my top 30 studio factory albums for metal/rock for 2020...... What have you guys heard that came out in this great (sarcasm) year!!!!!

rank/album name/band/r=rock,m-metal/sub genre/my rating

01 Psychosis Ritual - Mountain Tamer r Stoner 84.270
02 Under Acid Hoof - Acid Mammoth m Doom 84.010
03 Unfold the God Man - Psychonaut m Post 83.868
04 Valhalla - Wolftooth r Stoner 83.223
05 Lightning to the Nations 2020 - Diamond Head m Heavy 79.746
06 End of Forever - Samsara Blues Experiment r Stoner/Psych 79.699
07 Beyond Darkness - Goden m Doom 79.583
08 Forgotten Days - Pallbearer m Doom 79.455
09 Puritan Masochism - Konvent m Doom Death 79.401
10 At The Maw of Ruin - Green Druid m Doom 79.293

11 The Woes of a Mortal Earth - Brimstone Coven r Stoner 79.193
12 Power Up - AC/DC r Hard 79.070
13 Generation Antichrist - Onslaught m Thrash 78.223
14 In the Beginning - Cro-Mags m Thrash Cross 78.068
15 Project: Regeneration Vol1 - Static X m Industrial 78.019
16 The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny Demo - Mr. Bungle m Thrash 78.019
17 Dream Squasher - 16 [-(16)-] m Sludge 77.240
18 Through the Hollow - Mollassess r Prog Psych 77.157
19 California Cursed - Drain m Thrash/Cross 77.120
20 Rebirth By Blasphemy - Midnight m Black/Speed 77.120

21 Chilling Effect - River Cult r Psychedelic 77.090
22 Sanctuary - Alkymist m Doom Sludge Prog 77.030
23 Mount Hush - Mount Hush r Blues Psych 77.013
24 Welcome to Hel - Hjelvik m Heavy Blackened 76.920
25 Eye Of The Sun - Gypsybyrd r Stoner 76.893
26 Ascend to the Throne - Saints of Death m Groove 76.793
27 1692 - Frayle m Doom Atmos 76.779
28 Death Meditation - Funeral Leech m Death 76.760
29 Illuminati - God Dethroned m Death Blackn 76.680
30 Cosmic Ritual Supertrip - Black Rainbows r Stoner 76.537

As I scream obscenities at the punk rap loving kids cutting across my lawn the answer to your question is that they don't do Rock anymore! Rock died in the 80's! Now let me get back to yelling at the sky.

I liked the new Wolftooth. Not as much as the debut though.

Spirit Adrift - Enlightened in Eternity - probably my fave. Their release from 2019 was also excellent.

Eternal Champion - Ravening Iron

That’s about it for me. I usually get caught after all the best of lists come out. Then I’ll probably have a few more to add.

These are my top 30 studio factory albums for metal/rock for 2020...... What have you guys heard that came out in this great (sarcasm) year!!!!!

rank/album name/band/r=rock,m-metal/sub genre/my rating

01 Psychosis Ritual - Mountain Tamer r Stoner 84.270
02 Under Acid Hoof - Acid Mammoth m Doom 84.010
03 Unfold the God Man - Psychonaut m Post 83.868
04 Valhalla - Wolftooth r Stoner 83.223
05 Lightning to the Nations 2020 - Diamond Head m Heavy 79.746
06 End of Forever - Samsara Blues Experiment r Stoner/Psych 79.699
07 Beyond Darkness - Goden m Doom 79.583
08 Forgotten Days - Pallbearer m Doom 79.455
09 Puritan Masochism - Konvent m Doom Death 79.401
10 At The Maw of Ruin - Green Druid m Doom 79.293

11 The Woes of a Mortal Earth - Brimstone Coven r Stoner 79.193
12 Power Up - AC/DC r Hard 79.070
13 Generation Antichrist - Onslaught m Thrash 78.223
14 In the Beginning - Cro-Mags m Thrash Cross 78.068
15 Project: Regeneration Vol1 - Static X m Industrial 78.019
16 The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny Demo - Mr. Bungle m Thrash 78.019
17 Dream Squasher - 16 [-(16)-] m Sludge 77.240
18 Through the Hollow - Mollassess r Prog Psych 77.157
19 California Cursed - Drain m Thrash/Cross 77.120
20 Rebirth By Blasphemy - Midnight m Black/Speed 77.120

21 Chilling Effect - River Cult r Psychedelic 77.090
22 Sanctuary - Alkymist m Doom Sludge Prog 77.030
23 Mount Hush - Mount Hush r Blues Psych 77.013
24 Welcome to Hel - Hjelvik m Heavy Blackened 76.920
25 Eye Of The Sun - Gypsybyrd r Stoner 76.893
26 Ascend to the Throne - Saints of Death m Groove 76.793
27 1692 - Frayle m Doom Atmos 76.779
28 Death Meditation - Funeral Leech m Death 76.760
29 Illuminati - God Dethroned m Death Blackn 76.680
30 Cosmic Ritual Supertrip - Black Rainbows r Stoner 76.537
Real metal died a long time ago. But I commend you hanging on anyway. Mercyful Fate,Slayer,Exodus,Anthrax with Neil Turbin,Dio,Megadeth,Metallica,Ozzy,......you get the idea

Real metal died a long time ago. But I commend you hanging on anyway. Mercyful Fate,Slayer,Exodus,Anthrax with Neil Turbin,Dio,Megadeth,Metallica,Ozzy,......you get the idea

I thought the same thing but you will be surprised what is out there. There is a whole new wave of Stoner Rock/Doom Metal bands who are all heavily influenced by Sabbath. Seen all those bands you mentioned back in the day of course I no longer like nor ever forgave Anthrax for doing a rap song...... lol, I will stay quiet about what happened to Metallica..... RIP Cliff!!!!!

I just recently listened to the album Show No Mercy and it sounded better than ever!!!!!

Devildrivers new record was solid but outside of that there wasn’t anything to write home about. The state of the metal/rock scenes is just really stale right now.

I did not care for the new Devildriver album. Was not really a fan of Coal Chamber though I did see them a few times but liked the debut album of Devil Driver much better. Also liked The Last Kind Words.....

AC/DC is the only group I've heard of in your top 30. Maybe because I graduated the year "Light my Fire" by the Doors came out. I'm curious about the different genres you list and how the differences are between them. Is it easy to tell the difference between Stoner, Doom, Thrash, Sludge, and the others?

AC/DC is the only group I've heard of in your top 30. Maybe because I graduated the year "Light my Fire" by the Doors came out. I'm curious about the different genres you list and how the differences are between them. Is it easy to tell the difference between Stoner, Doom, Thrash, Sludge, and the others?

Stoner rock/Stoner Metal is mainly your heavily Sabbath influenced bands that have that nice heavy distorted guitar riffs as well as a Psychedelic Rock theme. Stoner rock/Stoner Metal can be a sub-genre of Doom. Doom is basically lower tuned heavy riff with a slower tempo with a lyrical theme of despair. Doom is also heavily influenced by early Sabbath. There are a crap load of sub-genres of Doom. I would say that all Stoner Metal could be considered Doom Metal but not all Doom Metal is Stoner Metal......

Thrash is a very high tempo aggressive style with heavy guitar riffs mixed with shredding.....(Metallica is probably the most popular of these bands as well as Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus) Very similar to Thrash is Speed Metal.... I really cannot tell the difference between the two but Speed Metal is supposedly more melodic.

Sludge Metal is a sub genre of Doom and is typically more punkish with heavily distorted guitars and vocals that are typically shouted. The Melvins are known as the first Sudge band..... sludge is described as a mix of Black Sabbath and Black Flag.

Most bands do not have one genre and now a days even a song can be multiple genre especially if it is progressive. Doom is my favorite genre and when you slow this already slow tempo waaaayyyy down and add atmosphere with keyboards and slow growls as vocals you get Funeral Doom.

I tried out 3 of albums on your list--#1, #2, and #13. #1 was stoner and vaguely reminded me of being in college and sitting around listening to Cream, Vanilla Fudge, or Iron Butterfly while we were imbibing a bit. #2 was Doom and had way to heavy a bass sound for me. #3 was Thrash and I gave up about the third song. I also listened to a Sabbath album and it's not too bad. I think I'll keep listening to oldies rock. But hey, no one prior to my generation were wild about our music, either.

I tried out 3 of albums on your list--#1, #2, and #13. #1 was stoner and vaguely reminded me of being in college and sitting around listening to Cream, Vanilla Fudge, or Iron Butterfly while we were imbibing a bit. #2 was Doom and had way to heavy a bass sound for me. #3 was Thrash and I gave up about the third song. I also listened to a Sabbath album and it's not too bad. I think I'll keep listening to oldies rock. But hey, no one prior to my generation were wild about our music, either.

The thrash band you attempted to listen to Onslaught has been around since 1982. Back in the day we called them a Slayer rip-off band.

I believe you will like Samsara Blues Experiment...... just imagine them opening up for the doors in the late 60's......

Speaking of the 60's I will be doing a 60's thread in the start of the new year with my top 60's albums......

Marilyn Manson's "We Are Chaos" album, produced by Waylon "shooter" Jennings.

Great song from the album.

Marilyn Manson's "We Are Chaos" album, produced by Waylon "shooter" Jennings.

Great song from the album.

Liked the first two tracks on that album but the rest of it did not do much for me..... 70.960 Rating.

I remember seeing Manson back in the 90's..... talk about a departure as the majority of the fans at the festival left when he came on which I was fine with as I could get closer to the stage. What a performance especially the tracks from Anti-Christ Superstar album.

What station is New Rock? I listen to WTUE. My cousin told me I need to listen to more new rock. I'm going to try it but not sure on which station. Any suggestions? I have iHeart radio.

What station is New Rock? I listen to WTUE. My cousin told me I need to listen to more new rock. I'm going to try it but not sure on which station. Any suggestions? I have iHeart radio.

I have no idea..... I listen to classic rock on satellite at work and in the car it is on 95.3 which is an 80's station ..... online I listen to albums and my playlist.... I guess a search on the net would let you know what is available on iHeart.

I have no idea..... I listen to classic rock on satellite at work and in the car it is on 95.3 which is an 80's station ..... online I listen to albums and my playlist.... I guess a search on the net would let you know what is available on iHeart.
Thanks.

Liked the first two tracks on that album but the rest of it did not do much for me..... 70.960 Rating.

I remember seeing Manson back in the 90's..... talk about a departure as the majority of the fans at the festival left when he came on which I was fine with as I could get closer to the stage. What a performance especially the tracks from Anti-Christ Superstar album.
I was at the infamous Ozzy no-show at Polaris. Marilyn rocked!

I was at the infamous Ozzy no-show at Polaris. Marilyn rocked!

What year was that? I went to every Ozzfest in Columbus so I was there and I remember Sabbath did not show once.... was that the Manson show?

I also remember 3 lesbians (the hot ones) near the front row on the grass making out ..... what a show that was!!!!

Vamps ( and anyone else) - have you ever listened to Miss May I? They are out of Troy so they are local to us but they tour worldwide. It's the metal music with the screaming as the lead singer. Not sure what genre exactly as it's not my cup of tea but I do listen to them at times because they are local.

Vamps ( and anyone else) - have you ever listened to Miss May I? They are out of Troy so they are local to us but they tour worldwide. It's the metal music with the screaming as the lead singer. Not sure what genre exactly as it's not my cup of tea but I do listen to them at times because they are local.

No

If this is them it is called Metalcore

What year was that? I went to every Ozzfest in Columbus so I was there and I remember Sabbath did not show once.... was that the Manson show?

I also remember 3 lesbians (the hot ones) near the front row on the grass making out ..... what a show that was!!!!
June 1997 Old article I found.

I noticed Static X on your list. The band is still around? I thought Wayne Static died awhile ago.

He did die but the band found some old recordings of him and incorporated it into the new album.

"We unexpectedly uncovered even more unreleased tracks left behind by Wayne... many of these had isolated vocal performances!"

So basically Static is actually singing most of the stuff on the album with the band writing music to match it. Other vocals are done by an unknown someone knwon as XerO ... (Is it Al Jourgensen of Ministry??? )