Indiana HS Football

cjb56

There was a time when it seemed pretty subpar compared to Ohio, and it likely still lags behind overall...but when it comes to big school football, especially around Indianapolis and its suburbs...there is some high quality football being played and its producing some solid recruits too. Is my perception close to reality, at all?

I think this really only applies to the top Indianapolis schools that can compete with the big boys of ohio these schools include Cathedral, Center Grove, Brownsburg, Carmel, Westfield, Ben Davis, and Warren Central

Should we expect schools ten miles west of the line are significantly different than teams ten miles east (MAC) of the line? Ft. Wayne consistently provides top recruits. Center Grove I believe is a recent phenomena but there have been other schools. Ive been hoping some of our local bigs would expand their OOC over to Ft Wayne, in order to better prepare for play-offs.

Indiana has a lower population but probably aren't that much different.

Should we expect schools ten miles west of the line are significantly different than teams ten miles east (MAC) of the line? Ft. Wayne consistently provides top recruits. Center Grove I believe is a recent phenomena but there have been other schools. Ive been hoping some of our local bigs would expand their OOC over to Ft Wayne, in order to better prepare for play-offs.

Indiana has a lower population but probably aren't that much different.

Problem with Fort Wayne is, outside of some of the suburban schools (Leo, Woodlan, New Haven), they aren't available for non league wuth the SAC expanding to 10 and playing a full round robin.

Didn't know that. That's a wide range of student population isn't it? During Whitmer's run to state Bishop Luers was on the schedule. The Detroit schools provide some competition but that's maybe one OOC. Not enough to get ready for state.

I used to be real knowledgeable of Indiana HS FB as they were light years ahead of showing it on TV, same with hoops

Didn't know that. That's a wide range of student population isn't it? During Whitmer's run to state Bishop Luers was on the schedule. The Detroit schools provide some competition but that's maybe one OOC. Not enough to get ready for state.

Yeah, in terms of classes, its 6A: Homestead, Snider, Carroll
5A: Northrop, North Side, Bishop Dwenger
4A: South Side, Wayne
3A: Concordia
2A: Bishop Luers

Basically think the TCL back when they had Stritch. Or even now if Whitmer and the privates were still there.

No non league just started in 2015 when they expanded to 10. Before that Luers had played Hartley 3 straight years along with the Whitmer game you mentioned.

I'd love to see them play over here more too. Dwenger would be a fun matchup against St. Francis or St. John's. Wayne, South Side, etc. would be good matchups for the Toledo publics.

Last edited:
I used to be real knowledgeable of Indiana HS FB as they were light years ahead of showing it on TV, same with hoops

I still occasionally dig up old b-ball games. I could tell there was a lot of triage, the announcers were better than most of the ones doing college games in this day and age of 50 channels.

Basically think the TCL back when they had Stritch. Or even now if Whitmer and the privates were still there.

No non league just started in 2015 when they expanded to 10. Before that Luers had played Hartley 3 straight years along with the Whitmer game you mentioned.

I'd love to see them play over here more too. Dwenger would be a fun matchup against St. Francis or St. John's. Wayne, South Side, etc. would be good matchups for the Toledo publics.

TCL OOC games (with exception of Woodward maybe) are not about creating a competitive match-up.

I still occasionally dig up old b-ball games. I could tell there was a lot of triage, the announcers were better than most of the ones doing college games in this day and age of 50 channels.

TCL OOC games (with exception of Woodward maybe) are not about creating a competitive match-up.
Good ole Hillard Gates!

I knew much more about Indiana HS hoops as well with all their games on TV, and the yearly debate in our household: Who is at an advantage on those doublheader tournament games? The 10AM (or so) game or the 1PM game and come back to play at 7?

yes Hillard! Serious consideration for Indiana's sports Mt. Rushmore.

Of course that debate made no sense to me as I wasn't introduced to it until college and why would they have two games in one day? Did Ohio ever do that? I don't know. Learning the meaning of Indiana HS basketball was an education. Like, why was everyone talking more about some goofy looking player with a goofy name for the other team than our own players? Or that iconic basketball coach wasn't actually from California? Or who would bet on tiny Plymouth against Gary? Still one of the most exciting games and performances I've ever seen.

There honestly wasn't much talk about HS football. It was in order; basketball, band, hogs, 500. Maybe switch the last two.

I
yes Hillard! Serious consideration for Indiana's sports Mt. Rushmore.

Of course that debate made no sense to me as I wasn't introduced to it until college and why would they have two games in one day? Did Ohio ever do that? I don't know. Learning the meaning of Indiana HS basketball was an education. Like, why was everyone talking more about some goofy looking player with a goofy name for the other team than our own players? Or that iconic basketball coach wasn't actually from California? Or who would bet on tiny Plymouth against Gary? Still one of the most exciting games and performances I've ever seen.

There honestly wasn't much talk about HS football. It was in order; basketball, band, hogs, 500. Maybe switch the last two.
I was always jealous their football title games were on TV and Ohio's were no where to be seen!

Not to mention they were free to stream online
Way back in the day when Indiana was still just once champion, Damon Bailey from Bedford North Lawrence pretty much single handedly filled the Hoosier dome with nearly 45K fans to watch the finals.
He is the kid that Bobby Knight went and saw in 8th grade and stated "he could play point guard for us right now). Think he scored nearly 3500 points in HS. Many consider his career at IU a flop but when he graduated he was like 5-6 on their all time list.

His NBA career didnt amount to much and he went to play in Europe. I remember each week tuning into WIMA out of Ft Wayne each week to hear his weekly interview while he was playing overseas.

He had lebron james type of hype, well before lebron james, and he didnt get suspended for violating the rules.

but anyways..........Indiana had games on over the air antennae in the early 80s, maybe even earlier

but anyways..........Indiana had games on over the air antennae in the early 80s, maybe even earlier

State's comment about "streaming" made me giggle after I noticed the 2012 part of the ID. There was no "over the air," because it was the only way. Then cable came in. Now it's ever a new thing. Different generations...