Any news regarding the Solon, Euclid and VASJ coach openings?

Curious for our Cleveland area posters - how would you rank the openings best to worst?

1a) Solon>
Positives: Resources, engaged players, tradition
Negatives: Politics of the District, over bearing parents

1b) Euclid>
Positives: Athletes in the building, cheap apartments for transfers, facilities
Negatives: No stability to the program, struggling community

2) VASJ
Positives: Brand name, lower Division so things can change quickly, low pressure as not the school's marquee sport
Negatives: Traditional Catholic feeder schools are gone, scheduling if you start to win

Solon is barely hovering above D2. It's a great job due to the tradition, community, school system, etc., but not anywhere near as attractive as it would be if they were a large D2.

Not sure about what's coming up for Solon. I don't think 7th or 8th grade won a game and numbers were low. Same at the youth level. 8th grade at maybe 20 kids. Their best player may be going elsewhere.

St. Rita kids going to Walsh and other privates.

Not sure on Solon's JV/freshman numbers. They also look low. Maybe part of the reason McQuaide left? I know he has a freshman son, figured he stick around.

I know that the Solon numbers are down . The enrollment is steady but those playing football are dropping off.
Outside of Rotsky taking all three any ideas?

The HC that would make sense to go to Euclid would be Mac Stephens, as he was a defensive coach there, his son played there, and he runs a gym out there, so he's very well connected. But he has built up a great thing at Cleveland Heights, so I don't think he'd be willing to depart there. One year, 26 of his kids got to play college football. That is downright amazing.

And some of the kids would possibly go with him if he departed, and Euclid could potentially become a powerhouse, or maintain the same level of success they had under Rotsky.

I could see Solon possibly promoting from within. This was a very odd year for the Comets, and it didn't help matters that they got a late start to the season.

The HC that would make sense to go to Euclid would be Mac Stephens, as he was a defensive coach there, his son played there, and he runs a gym out there, so he's very well connected. But he has built up a great thing at Cleveland Heights, so I don't think he'd be willing to depart there. One year, 26 of his kids got to play college football. That is downright amazing.

And some of the kids would possibly go with him if he departed, and Euclid could potentially become a powerhouse, or maintain the same level of success they had under Rotsky.

I could see Solon possibly promoting from within. This was a very odd year for the Comets, and it didn't help matters that they got a late start to the season.
Stephens wanted the Euclid job after Gibbons. He was the recreation director of Euclid besides being a Euclid assistant football coach. It went to Rotsky. He has done a nice job at Heights but they are nothing special and stuck in the LEL. Euclid has tons more tradition and success that Heights in football. Rotsky and Euclid went to Heights and whipped them soundly this year. No thanks to returning to the Euclid good ol' boy network. We had that dating back to the Robert Smith days with Banc,and Seymour before him. Kept promoting from within and Euclid never progressed from anything more than a nice competitive football school with tons of athletes going to college to play ball. Too many years of winning teams and first round playoff losses. No thanks. One of my accounts at work is a close friend of Rotsky and has coached with him for years. I have asked about the possibility of Rotsky leaving and he always insisted they were going nowhere .Alot of talent coming up through the pipeline( 7-8 th grades as well) and no issues with the school board. Have not spoken with this person since the announcement as I don't always see this customer when at his home.

Last edited:
Rotsky does have interest in the VASJ job. He did not quit Euclid without having something up his sleeve. At VASJ he could recruit the Euclid, Glenville pipeline and god knows where else while still playing home games at Euclid. Does not guarantee anything but it sounds like he threw his hat in the ring from what I've heard.?

People I know at the Viking Village did not seem to interested in Rotsky. They want a Viking alum in the position. The last Viking alum put them in this position however.

People I know at the Viking Village did not seem to interested in Rotsky. They want a Viking alum in the position. The last Viking alum put them in this position however.
I can't understand the mentality of wanting an alum to be the only option for a coach. Good ole' boy network never gets you anything. Get me the BEST COACH available and lets go. The Morans were given interviews for the basketball position , and they, not their legendary father, had no real ties to that school. Did the Lake Catholic coach who was turning the program around before Elvis replaced him have ties to VASJ? What did that get them? Maybe its time to nix the decision makers as well. Certain people affiliated with that program need to step away.Their time has LONG been over. No names please.

I can't understand the mentality of wanting an alum to be the only option for a coach. Good ole' boy network never gets you anything. Get me the BEST COACH available and lets go. The Morans were given interviews for the basketball position , and they, not their legendary father, had no real ties to that school. Did the Lake Catholic coach who was turning the program around before Elvis replaced him have ties to VASJ? What did that get them? Maybe its time to nix the decision makers as well. Certain people affiliated with that program need to step away.Their time has LONG been over. No names please.
I know Joe’s is Joe’s and Bene is Bene.
But I’ll give our recent history on “only alumni” coaching the team.”

Since 2011 Benedictine has 4 for different coaches. A non alumn, alumn, non alumn, alumn.

The 2 coaches who didn’t graduate from Benedictine had 3 losing seasons and 2 first round playoff exits in the 5 years.

The 2 alumni who were graduates have made to the regional semi-final every year including 1 state championship.

For us, at least, we feel it takes someone who walked the halls of the school and stood in their shoes to really connect with the kids and get them to buy in and be successful.

I know Joe’s is Joe’s and Bene is Bene.
But I’ll give our recent history on “only alumni” coaching the team.”

Since 2011 Benedictine has 4 for different coaches. A non alumn, alumn, non alumn, alumn.

The 2 coaches who didn’t graduate from Benedictine had 3 losing seasons and 2 first round playoff exits in the 5 years.

The 2 alumni who were graduates have made to the regional semi-final every year including 1 state championship.

For us, at least, we feel it takes someone who walked the halls of the school and stood in their shoes to really connect with the kids and get them to buy in and be successful.
That’s what they call “recency bias”. Looks like Hoban is doing ok without an alumni running football ops.

Stephens wanted the Euclid job after Gibbons. He was the recreation director of Euclid besides being a Euclid assistant football coach. It went to Rotsky. He has done a nice job at Heights but they are nothing special and stuck in the LEL. Euclid has tons more tradition and success that Heights in football. Rotsky and Euclid went to Heights and whipped them soundly this year. No thanks to returning to the Euclid good ol' boy network. We had that dating back to the Robert Smith days with Banc,and Seymour before him. Kept promoting from within and Euclid never progressed from anything more than a nice competitive football school with tons of athletes going to college to play ball. Too many years of winning teams and first round playoff losses. No thanks. One of my accounts at work is a close friend of Rotsky and has coached with him for years. I have asked about the possibility of Rotsky leaving and he always insisted they were going nowhere .Alot of talent coming up through the pipeline( 7-8 th grades as well) and no issues with the school board. Have not spoken with this person since the announcement as I don't always see this customer when at his home.
Well I spoke with this person for awhile on Wed. and I mentioned this situation as soon as we made eye contact to which I was greeted with a smile and nod ( because I asked if Jeff would ever take the VASJ job after Elvis quit but before Jeff quit Euclid ) now here we stand. Lets just say that an announcement will come next week....Monday??? And while this coach could not say yea or nay what he did not say told me more than what he did say. Solon is not happening is all I know. Or is it? I feel VASJ is the first choice. When I said that my only choice is Rotsky and I think he is in ,this coach just smirked. We will see. Finally I mentioned that since Rotsky knows all the Euclid youth talent and already accessed it and the parents and Euclid stadium will be home plus Div 4 is there for the taking he quickly agreed about the chances for VASJ to make a move in D4. Hail Red & Blue.

Last edited:
Well I spoke with this person for awhile on Wed. and I mentioned this situation as soon as we made eye contact to which I was greeted with a smile and nod ( because I asked if Jeff would ever take the VASJ job after Elvis quit but before Jeff quit Euclid ) now here we stand. Lets just say that an announcement will come next week....Monday??? And while this coach could not say yea or nay what he did not say told me more than what he did say. Solon is not happening is all I know. Or is it? I feel VASJ is the first choice. When I said that my only choice is Rotsky and I think he is in ,this coach just smirked. We will see. Finally I mentioned that since Rotsky knows all the Euclid youth talent and already accessed it and the parents and Euclid stadium will be home plus Div 4 is there for the taking he quickly agreed about the chances for VASJ to make a move in D4. Hail Red & Blue.

Is it true that if Jeff Rotsky is hired at VASJ, that they would nit be allowed to play their home games at Euclid HS b/c of bad blood between Rotsky and Pat Higley?

Is it true that if Jeff Rotsky is hired at VASJ, that they would nit be allowed to play their home games at Euclid HS b/c of bad blood between Rotsky and Pat Higley?
Highly unlikely that would happen.VASJ plays at Sparky D and not the new facility. That scenario would make Higley a target for a lawsuit for breaking an existing contract? Lost revenue to the Euclid athletic boosters etc just to satisfy his ego. He would be in essence telling Viking Nation that your not welcome here if HE is coaching.

Well, that sure seems easy enough. From a 1-7 laughingstock to making a "move in D4". : )

This probably would be a great hire for VASJ. Just have to ask yourself why you're hiring a coach, though. Do you want to turn things around ASAP and get to the playoffs again for the first time in long time (has it been since playoffs expanded to 8 teams per region?) or do you want to rebuild the program? The concern is if you pick the former, then you'll be looking for another coach in a few years who leaves you after bumping up his reputation with a bunch of transfers and dumbed down schedule. If you opt for the latter, it might take longer, but it would be more sustainable.

From the outside looking in, VASJ gives the impression their administrators went to a Jimmy Haslam leadership seminar so no matter who they pick, it'll be a few years before anyone can take them seriously.

Well, that sure seems easy enough. From a 1-7 laughingstock to making a "move in D4". : )

This probably would be a great hire for VASJ. Just have to ask yourself why you're hiring a coach, though. Do you want to turn things around ASAP and get to the playoffs again for the first time in long time (has it been since playoffs expanded to 8 teams per region?) or do you want to rebuild the program? The concern is if you pick the former, then you'll be looking for another coach in a few years who leaves you after bumping up his reputation with a bunch of transfers and dumbed down schedule. If you opt for the latter, it might take longer, but it would be more sustainable.

From the outside looking in, VASJ gives the impression their administrators went to a Jimmy Haslam leadership seminar so no matter who they pick, it'll be a few years before anyone can take them seriously.
Rotsky has not ever been known to dumb down his schedule. Yes, the current administration does appear to have gone to a Haslem seminar LOL! The numbers are up in the program and leadership from someone willing to go balls to the wall in the offseason workouts, etc,is what he will bring. We will see. I envision an Ursuline type of program where they played pretty much anyone within reason a few years back. The new Crown conference will guarantee the bulk of the schedule will be against other privates.