Canton's Hall of Fame Resort in Financial Crisis - Bankruptcy Looming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems some of you are having a hard time understanding what a bridge loan is and why you get one.

Anyone cheering or rooting against this project going forward is a hater and can go kick rocks with your negativity.

No one has to ask to use the stadium JLP - you are getting bad information.

Canton is in a unique situation, and yes they are working with the HOF, and yes Baker shot his mouth off. IN saying that, there has been progress and maybe things do not get done as fast as was communicated with the initial ambitious timeline, but things are getting done. I never bought into the original timeline and have always felt Baker was a bad hire and a j@ck@$$

I am not going to root against it. No other school can say what Canton McKinley can say which is being partners with the Pro Football Hall of Fame which honors the greatest people involved with the sport of football. I hope things continue to progress and the "village" becomes a great attraction, and if you don't hope the same then Have a nice day.
Be back soon, I'm going to gfm.

Seems to me they just keep kicking the debt down the line. Hopefully, this one gives the project a chance to get its footing going forward and it's not just another rube getting hooked into a bottomless pit.

I like the stadium. Canton and Stark County are lucky to have such a nice facility. Hopefully now the project can get back on track including fulfilling the promises made to McKinley.

I bet the folks behind the multi-million dollar financial decisions often stop by Yappi to see what people think.

Massillon is still pissed the first order of business when the NFL formed in 1920 was to give the Massillon team the 1920 season off. The team never returned.

Massillon is still pissed the first order of business when the NFL formed in 1920 was to give the Massillon team the 1920 season off. The team never returned.
Do you do any fact checking before you post ?
The Massillon team opted not to join the AFPA in 1920, clearly a bad move after the fact, they played in 1920-23 as an independent.
It’s not hard to do research before you hit send. ??‍♂️

Do you do any fact checking before you post ?
The Massillon team opted not to join the AFPA in 1920, clearly a bad move after the fact, they played in 1920-23 as an independent.
It’s not hard to do research before you hit send. ??‍♂️
And they're still on the outside looking in.

So it's BS that Massillon couldn't play by the rules back in 1920?
They elected not to play in that league and stay an independent. Stop listening to stories your buddies are telling you at work, this is 2020 you are able to fact check on your own. Clearly you don’t !

The project was explained to me differently, whereas it wouldn't be dependent upon tourist coming to see the sights...but more a village with a diverse array of attraction - business offices, convention opportunities with additional hotel space, hosting larger events, etc. The building currently being planned isn't going to be targeting tourists as much as businesses wanting to have meetings. Events such as the collegiate swimming finals and D3 collegiate champ game. I would imagine looking at facilities like this would be with the 52 weekends in mind and filling those weekends up as close to that number. Having facilities on campus such as restaurants and shopping to give people things to do around the events that stay on campus. A research facility of football related injuries - again not tourists but a destination. An ambitious vision and idea to be honest but not impossible. I see this as a win for the area. The water park connected to a stay in hotel sure would save all from stark county that drive across the state to sandusky to do the same thing. I mean if you as an adult can't plainly see the idea is more then come visit and stay and walk around the HOF then you are just bantering the school yard stuff. Events such as concerts, tournaments - both which have happened - and other things. Do I buy all of it? I think it could work and hope it does but I never thought (being in construction) it would pull off as fast as was first thought.

again why would a sane mature adult get on a site to bad mouth the HOF trying to evolve into more than just a museum. I don't get the hate all the time everyday. what a bitter existence it must be for some.

The project was explained to me differently, whereas it wouldn't be dependent upon tourist coming to see the sights...but more a village with a diverse array of attraction - business offices, convention opportunities with additional hotel space, hosting larger events, etc. The building currently being planned isn't going to be targeting tourists as much as businesses wanting to have meetings. Events such as the collegiate swimming finals and D3 collegiate champ game. I would imagine looking at facilities like this would be with the 52 weekends in mind and filling those weekends up as close to that number. Having facilities on campus such as restaurants and shopping to give people things to do around the events that stay on campus. A research facility of football related injuries - again not tourists but a destination. An ambitious vision and idea to be honest but not impossible. I see this as a win for the area. The water park connected to a stay in hotel sure would save all from stark county that drive across the state to sandusky to do the same thing. I mean if you as an adult can't plainly see the idea is more then come visit and stay and walk around the HOF then you are just bantering the school yard stuff. Events such as concerts, tournaments - both which have happened - and other things. Do I buy all of it? I think it could work and hope it does but I never thought (being in construction) it would pull off as fast as was first thought.

again why would a sane mature adult get on a site to bad mouth the HOF trying to evolve into more than just a museum. I don't get the hate all the time everyday. what a bitter existence it must be for some.
Thank you for clarifying.

I just don't see how that even comes close to turning a profit with the amount of money it will take to get up and running. Hotels are a dime a dozen and are everywhere, I don't think having a water park attached will make up for that. Meeting spaces and fields, really??? They too are found everywhere. Nobody is saying there is lack of available fields for youth sports in Ohio. COVID has shown us that physical meeting spaces /conventions are no longer necessary. Move on. I like the idea of the research facility for football injuries, but why not partner with one of the many, many colleges/universities in northeast Ohio? This entire project seems very short sited a gigantic waste of capital and will eventually wind up like strip malls..... Empty.

It seems all in the county are a bit late to the party cincifbfan.

I can't say I disagree with you. It could be anticipated that much of the commercial real estate market could take a hit as companies are seeing how much production can be accomplished from home...meaning office space could be downsized. It was described as the HOF was the anchor and they build these other functions around that anchor. I get the business model and that is what I speak of. Again I HOPE it goes off - however I am skeptical.

I don't believe in blind faith or undying loyalty like some of these loonies on here. And I don't let rooting for a high school team drive my words and actions into hate just because another school district is getting something nice. I can tell you the concerts were a success, and the tournaments at the competition fields have been full as well. I have seen soccer, lacrosse, and football tourneys there.

It seems all in the county are a bit late to the party cincifbfan.

I can't say I disagree with you. It could be anticipated that much of the commercial real estate market could take a hit as companies are seeing how much production can be accomplished from home...meaning office space could be downsized. It was described as the HOF was the anchor and they build these other functions around that anchor. I get the business model and that is what I speak of. Again I HOPE it goes off - however I am skeptical.

I don't believe in blind faith or undying loyalty like some of these loonies on here. And I don't let rooting for a high school team drive my words and actions into hate just because another school district is getting something nice. I can tell you the concerts were a success, and the tournaments at the competition fields have been full as well. I have seen soccer, lacrosse, and football tourneys there.
Glad to hear the concerts and youth tourneys have been successful. I'm sure Benson Stadium is a great place for an outdoor concert. But the total price tag on the entire project is about 750 million and climbing if I am not mistaken. How long will it take to even remotely come close to breaking even on this project, especially with the debt secured on this? I don't pretend to be a business or real estate mogul by any means, but the numbers to my novice brain simply don't add up.

I want it to succeed also. I don't follow any of it but don't understand how the NFL could let it "fail" whatever than means. I assume it will get bailed out somehow I just hope it does not negatively impact the school or city taxpayers. Nor Stark's or Ohio's for that matter. Not the best area or people to "invest" in.
What is the per pupil spending for the school? NFL revenues are headed to the basement. Hey, but at least they are woke.

Not rooting against it, but can someone tell me what about this "village" will bring in so much tourism? I just don't understand what the attraction will be once it it built.
There really is no attraction....matter of fact, I would imagine it's the very opposite of "attraction" that's contributing to the delays and $ issues. Canton has the reputation of being a dirty dangerous town. I would hate to take my family there, leave after dark and have to stop for gas or have my car breakdown somewhere in the heart of Canton.

...and that sums it up right there, and to the west of Canton is a dirtier, less scrupulous place called Massillon, they are haters, jr high banterers, and heavily recruit high school students to play football.

Last edited:
...and that sums it up right there, and to the west of Canton is a dirtier, less scrupulous place called Massillon, they are haters, jr high banterers, and heavily recruit high school students to play football.

You sound like a frustrated person. Can’t folks have various opinions. After all, your fellow Federlist posters always pollute Massillon threads.

Last edited:
Just a couple of points:

I think it is telling that the NFL and the Hall of Fame don't seem financially committed to the project. The NFL is all about making money. If they saw this as a money maker, they'd be supporting the cause with an eye towards it benefiting them down the line.

I've never felt unsafe in or around Fawcett or Benson. Maybe that's because I have been there at busy times, but it has always seemed to me to be one of the nicer and safer parts of Canton.

Canton is in the title of the thread, how about telling us the positives about the city and/or project instead of pulling the thread in a different, combative direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.