Best 10-season run?

While it's not their overall best winning percentage for 10 seasons the Youngstown Cardinal Mooney Cardinals posted the following numbers in the 10 seasons from 2004-2013:

107-28 total record

34-5 playoff record

4 state titles, 2 in D3, 2 in D4.

3 Runner-up finishes, all D4.

ML probably averages 35 boys per class, or 140 in the high school. They're not getting 90 percent of their kids out - it’s more like 50 percent at the most.
Maybe be he meant in JH. A couple times in CW 80%plus went out for football in seventh grade. With no youth football kids are chomping at the bit in 7th grade to play something new.

Was tough, especially with no KO, KO return, and no FG team to get kids ample playing time, which is the goal in 7th.

ML probably averages 35 boys per class, or 140 in the high school. They're not getting 90 percent of their kids out - it’s more like 50 percent at the most.
I stand corrected then. I forgot where I heard that, but OK. Jr High, maybe?

The point I was trying to make is that Marion Local isn't your typical DVII school or program. Sure, they lost this year, but this wasn't a typical year. They might have went 5 weeks or so before they had to play anybody when they ran into a very good New Bremen team that was hungry and on the rise. I don't recall their schedule off hand, but they had started off playing real close games against good teams, then they had a somewhat long stretch where they just did not have any competition. That might have taken its toll as well. I'm not even sure if Marion Local is your typical DIV program.

Last edited:
Marion Local has an amazing football program, obviously. Great coach, community, and committed players.

They will eventually be the "king" of Ohio playoff football titles by passing Ignatius.

However, it's not any kind of degradation to the Flyers program to say that their run isn't comparable to Ignatius in the 90s. D1 with all the parochial powers, Colerain when they were dominant, Massillon back when they were D1, McKinley in the 90s, Warren Harding, etc.

It really is an apples and oranges debate IMO.

Marion Local has an amazing football program, obviously. Great coach, community, and committed players.

They will eventually be the "king" of Ohio playoff football titles by passing Ignatius.

However, it's not any kind of degradation to the Flyers program to say that their run isn't comparable to Ignatius in the 90s. D1 with all the parochial powers, Colerain when they were dominant, Massillon back when they were D1, McKinley in the 90s, Warren Harding, etc.

Totally agree. Marion Local’s model of playing with kids who happen to live in a relatively small geographic footprint and attend school essentially free is nothing like Ignatius’ model.

If that sounds snarky, I didn’t mean it to. As you said, it’s apples to oranges.

Ok

How many State Titles between Colerain and Massillon?

Where's about every other week, MSML played schools with at 6 Titles apiece.

How many State Titles between Colerain and Massillon?

Where's about every other week, MSML played schools with at 6 Titles apiece.
Colerain has one, should have two (but for an inadvertent use of an ineligible player, in a state semi-final, that Colerain won in a rout). I notice that you very purposefully left out the other schools PDC mentioned— McKinley (3 state titles) Harding (3 state titles)— never mind the other schools with state titles that Ig beat in the final (X— now 4 titles), Moeller (9 titles), etc. (not that I need to carry water for Ig).

You also totally ignore that winning in the big school division requires a higher level of play than winning in the small school divisions does.

I wasn't smearing ML's accomplishments at all. Their 11 titles are well earned.

I was simply suggesting that there is a huge difference between the biggest division and the smaller ones.

Of course there is a difference. A huge one. Whomever dismisses that fact is delusional.

I was simply suggesting that there is a huge difference between the biggest division and the smaller ones.

You also totally ignore that winning in the big school division requires a higher level of play than winning in the small school divisions does.
Yep, and I imagine that higher level of play is much easier to accomplish when you have many more players.

You seem to be hinting at something here. If you are saying the difference is the size of school/student body, then we are in total agreement. If you are saying that the quality of football is better, then we are not.

To me, Iggy's accomplishments playing in D1 are significantly more impressive than Hoban (D3/2) or Mooney (D3/4) because they were playing against the largest opponents they could. That is the peer group you should compare them to. That said, as a small community school, MSML's accomplishments are far more impressive than Iggy.

While it's not their overall best winning percentage for 10 seasons the Youngstown Cardinal Mooney Cardinals posted the following numbers in the 10 seasons from 2004-2013:

107-28 total record

34-5 playoff record

4 state titles, 2 in D3, 2 in D4.

3 Runner-up finishes, all D4.
When Mooney dropped to D4 it was downright scary for NEO teams. That's why Coldwater's wins were even more impressive.

Colerain has one, should have two (but for an inadvertent use of an ineligible player, in a state semi-final, that Colerain won in a rout). I notice that you very purposefully left out the other schools PDC mentioned— McKinley (3 state titles) Harding (3 state titles)— never mind the other schools with state titles that Ig beat in the final (X— now 4 titles), Moeller (9 titles), etc. (not that I need to carry water for Ig).

You have to consider the context of time. For example, Harding won a Title in 74. Ignatius was irrelevant.

St Ignatius 10 year run

1988 State Champs 14-0

1989 State Champs 13-0

1990 Lost in first round to Fitch- finished 10-1

1991 State Champs 12-2

1992 State Champs 14-0

1993 State Champs 14-0

1994 State Champs 13-1

1995 State Champs 14-0

1996 State Runner Up- Finished 10-3

1997 State Semi Finals- Lost to Champ McKinley, finished 11-2

1998 State Semi Finals- Lost again to Champ McKinley, finished 10-3

7 D1 titles from 1988-1998

5 straight D1 titles 1991-1995

135-12 overall.

Ignatius then won the D1 title in 1999 to close out the 1990s.

The Glory Days

Let's see some of the best runs over the course of 10 seasons. Some that came to my mind:

Coldwater from 2007-2016:

131-17

Five state titles; four state runner-up

Kirtland from 2011-2020:

138-6

Six state titles; three state runner-up

Lakewood St. Edward from 2010-2019:

113-20

Four state titles

Marion Local from 2011-2020:

133-12

Seven state titles; two state runner-up

Toledo Central Catholic from 2011-2020:

114-18

Two state titles; one state runner-up

ML and Iggy run was very impressive.

You would think that. But the DII title game between Toledo Catholic and Athens is etched in my mind. Not for the high octane offenses displayed by both teams, but for the almost total lack of defensive integrity or fundamentals. I believe I've seen better tackling technique in a grade school age girls basketball games than what these guys were throwing out there late in that title game.

I much more enjoy watching the fundamentally sound, disciplined, precision play of top MAC teams. I have heard on more than one occasion the commentators at state championship games state that some of Marion Locals schemes were things you normally only see in college ball.

The ten-year runs from 1999 on are more impressive than some of the runs in the 1970's and 1980's. When you have more playoff games, there are more opportunities to lose. A championship in a field of 32 is more impressive than one in a field of four. There were lots of really good teams in the 1970's and 1980's that never made the playoffs.

You would think that. But the DII title game between Toledo Catholic and Athens is etched in my mind. Not for the high octane offenses displayed by both teams, but for the almost total lack of defensive integrity or fundamentals. I believe I've seen better tackling technique in a grade school age girls basketball games than what these guys were throwing out there late in that title game.

I much more enjoy watching the fundamentally sound, disciplined, precision play of top MAC teams. I have heard on more than one occasion the commentators at state championship games state that some of Marion Locals schemes were things you normally only see in college ball.
As for Mar11on Local .... defensively they do a fantastic job of disguising what they are doing that even teams who play them yearly it's tough to figure out, and they have the horses to do it.
I've seen teams try to emulate what they do in the playoffs against CW only to see a 28 spot early on because of big plays as they did no have the athletes to carry out the game plan

Last edited:
The ten-year runs from 1999 on are more impressive than some of the runs in the 1970's and 1980's. When you have more playoff games, there are more opportunities to lose. A championship in a field of 32 is more impressive than one in a field of four. There were lots of really good teams in the 1970's and 1980's that never made the playoffs.
My Alma mater(Fremont Ross) comes to mind.

As for Mar11on Local .... defensively they do a fantastic job of disguising what they are doing that even teams who play them yearly it's tough to figure out, and they have the horses to do it.
I've seen teams try to emulate what they do in the playoffs against CW only to see a 28 spot early on because od bi plays as they did no have the athletes to carry out the game plan

As I watched the D6 final, with Brungard running wild, I thought how rare it is for a Marion Local defense to get gashed by a Qb's legs. Now, I'm not knocking Coldwater too hard. The Flyers as a whole weren't as good as either Springfield or Coldwater because of the inconsistent offense. Just saying even the Brody Hoyings of the world have struggled to find running room against MSML

Versailles Tigers, Tigerball
1989-98
112- 18
5 state champions
1 runner up
2 regional champions
97 graduates went 54-2

If I remember correctly, the 1997 graduates lost their first game of their freshman season, won the next 54, and then lost the state championship to end their careers.

I think I’ll have the rest of you guys beat:

Vanlue Wildcats (2010-2019)
10-90 record
Three winless seasons
Decade best record of 2-8 in 2010, 2016 and 2019
All I can say, at least they are consistent!
I still say that I know what it feels like to win ten games.
Took me all four years of HS to do it though!

If I remember correctly, the 1997 graduates lost their first game of their freshman season, won the next 54, and then lost the state championship to end their careers.
Didn't Versailles play Toledo Central Catholic during that stretch?

Also, if I recall, Tigers beat the Tigers of Huron for 1993 State Title.

Correct. The bookend losses were to Marion Local and Marion Pleasant.

Certainly not anywhere near some of the amazing ten year stretches of teams mentioned earlier, but the Avon Eagles are currently in their own best ten year run. Still chasing that elusive first state title, though.

2011 13-2 lost state final
2012 11-2 lost regional final
2013 12-1 lost regional final
2014 10-2 lost regional semi
2015 10-2 lost regional semi
2016 10-1 lost first round
2017 13-1 lost state semi
2018 12-2 lost state semi
2019 13-1 lost state semi
2020 10-1 lost state semi

114-15

Dola Hardin Northern:

1996 - 11-2
1997 - 12-1
1998 - 9-2
1999 - 9-2
2000 - 6-4
2001 - 10-2
2002 - 14-1
2003 - 11-2
2004 - 14-1
2005 - 12-1

108 - 18

1 State Title (2004) and 1 State runner-up (2002)

If you add in 1995 (11-1) and 2006 (10-2) season the totals go to 129 - 21.