What Movies Did You Watch In November 2020?

Tales From the Hood 3 (2020)

Horror: Anthology of 4 tales.... 2 were OK but did not like the other two..... 3.0/8

Abbott and Costello in Hollywood (1945) - Not as good as the A&B Meet (Universal Monster) films, but it was decently funny.

5/8

Unhinged (2020) 5/8 Russell Crow plays the bad guy in this one. Life has gotten too tough and Crow goes off the deep end. Pretty good but had some outrageous parts that brought it down a little bit.

Unhinged (2020) 5/8 Russell Crow plays the bad guy in this one. Life has gotten too tough and Crow goes off the deep end. Pretty good but had some outrageous parts that brought it down a little bit.
Thanks, was wondering about this one.

Reminds me of a newer version of Falling Down (1993 - Michael Douglas).

The Wicker Man (1973) - I am not a Hammer Films fan. The beautifully filmed Universal classics, with the rich contrast of black and white created atmospherics with which the color films could not compete. The Hammer Films looked garish in comparisons. That said, I was not expecting too much from the star of Hammer Films, Christopher Lee. I was pleasantly surprised. This is a well crafted and beautifully filmed horror/suspense film, dealing with modern, post-Christian paganism.

I would like to hear the expert's opinion. Vamp, what did you think of it?

6/8

Last edited:
Hillbilly Elegy (2020) 6/8 I know this has been getting a lot of bad reviews, but I thought it was really good. Netflix original directed by Ron Howard. Based on a book written by a kid that grew up in Middletown in a poor family that migrated here from KY to work at Armco. Glenn Close and Amy Adams should both be up for Oscars. I'm biased being from Middletown and growing up in a similar situation, but I recommend giving it a watch.

The Wicker Man (1973) - I am not a Hammer Films fan. The beautifully filmed Universal classics, with the rich contrast of black and white created atmospherics with which the color films could not compete. The Hammer Films looked garish in comparisons. That said, I was not expecting too much from the star of Hammer Films, Christopher Lee. I was pleasantly surprised. This is a well crafted and beautifully filmed horror/suspense film, dealing with modern, post-Christian paganism.

I would like to hear the expert's opinion. Vamp, what did you think of it?

6/8

I also gave this film a 6/8 ..... I remember way back walking the rows of the horror section at the local video store and passing this one up over and over again. Just did not like the title.... one day though I gave in and rented it and it was an amazing discovery. Thankfully I did not know the ending before hand. I also saw the remake which was good but not near that or the original. Have you seen the new mini series on HBO "The Third Day"? ... That was also great and also dealing with similar topics......

Seventh Victim (1943) - If you are a fan of Cat People (1942), you will find this film very familiar. The shadows and dark corners are always present. The same team made both films and the noir style and the dread of horrors unseen play a big role in both. Very unusual and somewhat shocking film for a number of reasons. One scene prefigures a familiar Hitchcock scene. Hugh Beaumont (Leave it to Beaver's dad) plays a character with the ironic name of Ward (last name, not first).

Great artistry makes up for a somewhat disjointed story.

6/8

Seventh Victim (1943) - If you are a fan of Cat People (1942), you will find this film very familiar. The shadows and dark corners are always present. The same team made both films and the noir style and the dread of horrors unseen play a big role in both. Very unusual and somewhat shocking film for a number of reasons. One scene prefigures a familiar Hitchcock scene. Hugh Beaumont (Leave it to Beaver's dad) plays a character with the ironic name of Ward (last name, not first).

Great artistry makes up for a somewhat disjointed story.

6/8
Wondered if you would watch and comment on this one. Good summary. Maybe one too many male characters? Sometimes, I lose track of who is who. LOL Didn't expect it to end when it did, but that was by design. Intrigued by the Manhattan setting and satanic characteristic. Fair score 6/8, imvho.

Oh, yeah. The stage-fright Kim Hunter's first film, iirc.

Last edited:
Hillbilly Elegy (2020)- this movie is getting beaten up by the critics but I thought it was decent. I'm amused by the intellectual critics that criticize the movie's depiction of a life they've never seen or experienced as inaccurate. Anyone who has lived in Ohio and not spent their entire life in the suburbs can attest to the accuracy of parts of the movie. The movie saved a lot on makeup for Amy Adams and Glenn Close. The movie is not going to win any awards but it's not the mess many critics have characterized it to be. 5.5/8

Last edited:
Hillbilly Elegy (2020)- this movie is getting beaten up by the critics but I thought it was decent. I'm amused by the intellectual critics that criticize the movie's depiction of a life they've never seen or experienced as inaccurate. Anyone who has lived in Ohio and not spent their entire life in the suburbs can attest to the accuracy of parts of the movie. The movie saved a lot on makeup for Amy Adams and Glenn Close. The movie is not going to win any awards but it's not the mess many critics have characterized it to be. 5.5/8
Yours is at least the second thumbs up on this movie itt. Fox news critic summed it up as being good intentioned (iirc) and flat.

Rotten Tomatoes is at 25% like while IMDb has it at 6.5/10. On the plus side, Google Users has it a 86% positive. RT voters must be city slickers.

Thanks for the review.

Christmas Vacation (1989) 8/8 I don't know if it is the best Xmas movie, but it is definitely my favorite. Probably watch it again before the end of the holidays lol.

Lost Girls (2020) 2/8 Netflix original, true story about a missing girl and her mother's fight for justice. Story is built around the Long Island Strangler, an unknown serial killer with 15+ murders. Movie was really slow, based on a book, I'm betting the book was much better.

Hobbs and Shaw (2019) 4.5/8 Spinoff from the Fast and Furious world. Hobbs (The Rock) and Shaw (Jason Statham) set out to save the world from a "super" solider and a deadly biological weapon. Some pretty good laughs but the story is super far-fetched even for the F & F world. A lot of action. A lot of cars. And the usual hot actresses. If you like these movies, you'll like this one.

The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019)- a young man with Down syndrome runs away from an assisted living facility and meets up with a transient fisherman on the run as a social worker attempts to track down the young man with Down syndrome. Stars Shia LaBeouf, Zack Gottsagen and Dakota Johnson. For @irish_buffalo there's an appearance by Bruce Dern. Slow in parts but not bad. 5.5/8.
I posted this in the October movie thread...
Peanut Butter Falcon - 5/8 - Shia LeBeouf plays a crabber in the intercoastal waters of N. Carolina who struggles to hold down his job while pissing off rivals. After burning up a rivals gear he goes on the run and teams up with a young man with down syndrome who escaped from his old folks home in order to go to the Salt Water Redneck school of wrestling. The two bond as LeBeouf helps him get there on his way to Florida. Needed to develop the characters a bit more. Bruce Dern is in the movie. Can never get enough of Bruce Dern.

Hobbs and Shaw (2019) 4.5/8 Spinoff from the Fast and Furious world. Hobbs (The Rock) and Shaw (Jason Statham) set out to save the world from a "super" solider and a deadly biological weapon. Some pretty good laughs but the story is super far-fetched even for the F & F world. A lot of action. A lot of cars. And the usual hot actresses. If you like these movies, you'll like this one.

shoulda led with that.

Wondered if you would watch and comment on this one. Good summary. Maybe one too many male characters? Sometimes, I lose track of who is who. LOL Didn't expect it to end when it did, but that was by design. Intrigued by the Manhattan setting and satanic characteristic. Fair score 6/8, imvho.

Oh, yeah. The stage-fright Kim Hunter's first film, iirc.
They could have cut the "poet" as far as I am concerned and not missed him. The psychologist could have covered his part of the story.