Division V State Final: AP #2 Ironton (11-0) vs. AP #1 Kirtland (10-0)

Ironton or Kirtland?

• Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ironton by 7-14

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Ironton by 1-6

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Kirtland by 1-6

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • Kirtland by 7-14

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 28 25.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think South Range might have been the 2nd best team in D5 this year! They gave Kirtland their toughest game in the playoffs.
Maybe. I would argue Otsego. But I might be a little biased. Otsego was within 2 points of Kirtland with 15 minutes left in the game before Kirtland broke an 80 yrd TD run. I dont think South Range ever stopped Kirtland and they never were. Kirtland punted at least 3 times against Otsego. SR scored on a long play as time expired making the game seem a lot closer than it was.

It was also unfortunate that Otsego’s starting RB was unable to play due to an injury in the Regional Final. He will be all-state this year. Their #2 RB also left the game in the 2nd quarter. Despite the injuries, Otsego hung around a lot longer than South Range did.

Congrats on a remarkable run, Kirtland

Last edited:
Here he is ohiofootball80. Enough said

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 7
I still can't get my mind wrapped around 150-7 in 10 years. What an outstanding program
There have been a few with that type of Success.
Moller, Upper Arlington , Marion Local. I’m sure there are more.
Congrats to Kirtland it’s a Fine Program.

I read that coming into this game They had 149 wins and only 7 losses. Now 150. It’s insane!

Just an awesome team and that record of 150 wins and only 7 losses is nothing short of incredible.
Don't want to nitpick at all, but isn't that record over 11 years and not ten ? Someone listed the composite
record by year and it appears it was over 11 years not 10 . Whether it is 10 or 11 year it is still a fantastic
record. Kirtland is without any doubt the best team in their Division.

JB

That 150 wins against 7 losses is a better batting average than Jack Parkman had against Greg Vaughan in the big leagues!

That 150 wins against 7 losses is a better batting average than Jack Parkman had against Greg Vaughan in the big leagues!
150-7 is better than I do on Madden with all the computer settings turned low and the user settings maxed ?

EDIT: I see you TimMast. This is Al Bundy signing off.....

Last edited:
Will Tiger be a candidate for the Soulon job now that it's open?

Nothing more to prove at Kirtland.

Discuss.

No. Tiger is not going anywhere. There has been better jobs in the area open and Tiger has shown zero interest. You have to understand what Tiger has built in Kirtland before making a statement like that. The youth programs are HUGE and you see Tiger along with the varsity players there watching on the weekends. They are all vested. Tiger is involved with the youth coaches - it's a machine. He has kids in the lower grades and lives in the community. Not only that but he is gassed about some of the upcoming classes. He is thinking they have the potential of being some of his best.

The name I'm hearing that Solon is looking at is former Chanel/Maple Hts/Cleveland Hts/Euclid coach Jeff Rotsky.

Because of Covid this year schedules were pretty loose. The kids wanted to be challenged so they scheduled teams they would not normally play. They played Lake Catholic, D1 Shaker Hts and perennial playoff team D1 Solon. They dismantled all three of them. The kids did not care about putting their win streak on the line - they wanted to get better and see where they stand against much bigger schools.

Just an awesome team and that record of 150 wins and only 7 losses is nothing short of incredible.
Don't want to nitpick at all, but isn't that record over 11 years and not ten ? Someone listed the composite
record by year and it appears it was over 11 years not 10 . Whether it is 10 or 11 year it is still a fantastic
record. Kirtland is without any doubt the best team in their Division.

JB
Would have to be at least 11 as in the prior 10 making it to the championship game would have been a max of 150 games. So this year they played 11 games. That means over the last 11 years the max games they could have played was 161. They played in 157. So in 11 years they only missed 4 possible games. That may be slightly better than Marion Local who had went 9 strait seasons of playing 15 games per season. I will look that up. Anyway, that seems almost impossible.

I have wondered which is more difficult, building a program in a league where you are totally dominating, or building a similar program in a highly competitive league like the MAC? I would have to think being the one of a kind would be more difficult to keep the kids enthusiasm for excellence as a motivator.

Marion local also played in 157 games from 2010 -2020. 2010 they lost in their second round to Minster who they beat 41-6 in the regular season. Then they had 9 straight years of reaching the state championship game winning 7 and losing 2. This year they lost in round 4 of the playoffs but it was game 3 for them as they got a bye in first round. So by my math the missed 3 potential games in 2010 and 2 potential games in 2020 making their number of potential games over 11 years 162. So they missed 5 potential games in 11 years compared to Kirtlands 4 ( if you count the game vs Hawken they missed this year that would be 5). Kirtland went 3-3 vs the MAC over those 11 years, and was 6-3 in their 9 state championship games, losing only to Marion Local, Minster and Coldwater.

Last edited:
No. Tiger is not going anywhere. There has been better jobs in the area open and Tiger has shown zero interest. You have to understand what Tiger has built in Kirtland before making a statement like that. The youth programs are HUGE and you see Tiger along with the varsity players there watching on the weekends. They are all vested. Tiger is involved with the youth coaches - it's a machine. He has kids in the lower grades and lives in the community. Not only that but he is gassed about some of the upcoming classes. He is thinking they have the potential of being some of his best.

The name I'm hearing that Solon is looking at is former Chanel/Maple Hts/Cleveland Hts/Euclid coach Jeff Rotsky.
Hope you're wrong on that one.

He's not someone that I think this administration and school board would pick.

Congrats to Kirtland and WR #2 for “the catch” ESPN TOP 10....number 1 play!!! Kirtland, you guys are a machine! Also, I remember the Sullivan kid who made a similar fantastic catch last year in the finals against Ironton! WOW!!!

No, I'm referring to the the 4 state championships played this weekend so far. They have been all, unentertaining games
Next week I'll have a run down of all the margins of victories across all divisions comparing each era. All I have to do is plug in this year. While this year so far is worst than normal, games generally are not close.

Coming into this year, since they went to 7 divisions, 18% of finals finished 30±