Ohio State Buckeyes 2020

This is the OSU version of Clemson vs. Boston College or Alabama vs. Ole Miss. Every team has these.
Yes, but the remaining OSU schedule is putrid. Better hope someone on the West side goes unbeaten for the B1G championship game so it looks like OSU actually played someone this year.

Yes, but the remaining OSU schedule is putrid. Better hope someone on the West side goes unbeaten for the B1G championship game so it looks like OSU actually played someone this year.
Doesn't matter as long as they win. If they are 8&0 after the BIG championship game they are in.

No much really looks great this season.

The passing game puts up numbers but it’s not really an impressive, spread the ball around type of attack, more of a one or two man read then scramble type of thing. Doesn’t seem to be much going on creatively with the routes, either. Seems like they’re relying too much on the talent. Fields needs to make better decisions.

The run game is very ho-hum. Teague will get the carries by default but there’s no energy in the backfield.

The pass defense as it is will get them lit up by other playoff contenders. One of the weakest DB units in recent memory

Also Ryan Day needs to pull his head out of Field’s azs. His job is to win games not get his QB a trophy. Not kicking the field goal at the end was just one of a number of bad decisions

Definitely let off the gas when they got up 35-7. The secondary struggled against a very good passing attack. The biggest concern in a matchup vs. Alabama, a big concern vs. Clemson, a concern vs. Notre Dame, not really vs. Northwestern or Michigan.

Not only is the secondary young and replacing multiple NFL draftees but is also shorthanded. The 2 players who were kicked off the team and are awaiting trial for rape are leaving a not only a black-eye on the program but also have left a thin secondary room. Both were expected to contributed to this year's secondary.

Pretty sure ALL defenses are getting torched this year via the pass. Bama, Clemson, ND and OSU have all given up a lot of passing yards this season. Indiana has several players on offense that will be playing on Sundays soon

Watching the game on TV which does not show the whole field I still saw Ohio State DB's that seemed lost and had no idea where they should be on the field and who they should be covering. I am sorry but is not a one game situation but a every game I watched this year (which is all of them) happening and I am sorry the coaching staff does not seem to know how to correct this. Something needs to be done and it needs to be fix now. This is not a one play or one game happing but you see it on lots of plays and all games. I do not know how may times I have said boy I am glad that QB did not throw that pass accurately because the receiver was not covered and wide open he was.

Also Ryan Day needs to pull his head out of Field’s azs. His job is to win games not get his QB a trophy. Not kicking the field goal at the end was just one of a number of bad decisions
Normally I like the more aggressive approach from Day - non-Tressel ball. But with Indiana pinning their ears back on defense on virtually every play, the play calls fit right into their defensive scheme. Should have either passed or run a slant on every down. Indiana sold out to make sure Fields' arm didn't beat them. It worked - and almost got them the win.
Tom Allen is a really good coach.
Indiana is a really good team.
Indiana has a lot of very good talent.

Normally I like the more aggressive approach from Day - non-Tressel ball. But with Indiana pinning their ears back on defense on virtually every play, the play calls fit right into their defensive scheme. Should have either passed or run a slant on every down. Indiana sold out to make sure Fields' arm didn't beat them. It worked - and almost got them the win.
Yup, that's it in a nutshell, nutsnbolts.

Great post. Two things...

Ryan Day is Lincoln Riley - Lincoln Riley is Ryan Day. You are starting to see the cracks in Riley and you will eventually see the same in Day. They both care about one thing - their dynamic passing game. Day got handed a Cadillac and he IS a great recruiter so it will take a little time to notice the flaws but if you look really close you can see them.

Indiana is very well coached. Tom Allen might have Indiana on pace to become the new MSU that we saw under Dantonio. They are similar programs in that they must constantly recruit surrounded by OSU, UM, ND but rely heavily on their D. Allen and Dantonio are/were defensive minded coaches. D minded coaches make the best HC's.

However, OSU has 34 kids on their two-deep that were top 25 or higher recruits coming out of HS at their respective position and in their respective year. Indiana has 4. Kudos to Allen.

Great post. Two things...

Ryan Day is Lincoln Riley - Lincoln Riley is Ryan Day. You are starting to see the cracks in Riley and you will eventually see the same in Day. They both care about one thing - their dynamic passing game. Day got handed a Cadillac and he IS a great recruiter so it will take a little time to notice the flaws but if you look really close you can see them.

Indiana is very well coached. Tom Allen might have Indiana on pace to become the new MSU that we saw under Dantonio. They are similar programs in that they must constantly recruit surrounded by OSU, UM, ND but rely heavily on their D. Allen and Dantonio are/were defensive minded coaches. D minded coaches make the best HC's.

However, OSU has 34 kids on their two-deep that were top 25 or higher recruits coming out of HS at their respective position and in their respective year. Indiana has 4. Kudos to Allen.
Not sure I agree about Ryan Day. His play calling is very balanced run/pass and he does a great job with clock management. Knows when to go up tempo and when to slow it down and use the clock.
Yes the defense has taken a step back this year, losing two first round dbs and a once every 10 years type of pass rusher isn’t always easy. Throw in a new defensive coordinator and there is going to be a learning curve.

I think Ohio State’s biggest problem this year is that they seem to get comfortable with big leads unlike last year. Up 35-7 last week and 35-3 at Rutgers and aren’t finishing games.

Not sure I agree about Ryan Day. His play calling is very balanced run/pass and he does a great job with clock management. Knows when to go up tempo and when to slow it down and use the clock.
Yes the defense has taken a step back this year, losing two first round dbs and a once every 10 years type of pass rusher isn’t always easy. Throw in a new defensive coordinator and there is going to be a learning curve.

I think Ohio State’s biggest problem this year is that they seem to get comfortable with big leads unlike last year. Up 35-7 last week and 35-3 at Rutgers and aren’t finishing games.
He is a great offensive mind no doubt. When things are rolling he, much like Lincoln Riley, is awesome. As a game gets tight they both tend to abandon the run in favor of their pass game. They are both eager to impress everyone with their pass game.

The biggest difference between offensive and defensive minded coaches is that the offensive guy believes with proper execution against X coverage, their play call will work. The defensive minded coach understands there are too many variables for that to be true.

He is a great offensive mind no doubt. When things are rolling he, much like Lincoln Riley, is awesome. As a game gets tight they both tend to abandon the run in favor of their pass game. They are both eager to impress everyone with their pass game.

The biggest difference between offensive and defensive minded coaches is that the offensive guy believes with proper execution against X coverage, their play call will work. The defensive minded coach understands there are too many variables for that to be true.
Sounds like you got it all figured out papaw, you ought to give Ryan a call and tell him he has cracks ?

Sounds like Buckeyes are on track as of today to play this weekend, but it could get dicey. Sources reporting that several players have tested positive. Currently only in single digits & impacted players are isolated. ?