Time for OAC to strike

I concur.

I am not a teacher (I did teach calculus at Akron U while working on my masters). However, I have been working from home since the beginning of March. My wife had to keep going to work. So, I was "saddled" with helping the kids with their online classes each day.

In most homes it was a clusterF&CK between switching between Google Classroom, Khan Academy, Zoom meetings, Gizmodo or whatever it is. On top of that, the kids were not expected to learn/do even HALF of what they normally do.

Also, I have a few family members that are teachers in various school districts. In each of their districts they were told that no matter WHAT the student did during the last grading period (could have ignored EVERYTHING), they were to not get anything lower than the grades they got in the previous/in school grading period.

Meaning if they were a straight C student, and did zero at home, they got C's on the final grading period.

Kids need to be back in school, in class, with their teachers, period.
I heard a few schools that did that, even my school tried to adjust the grading scale so that even a 50% would pass, but we fought that. Of course, doesn't matter, regardless of grades all kids were passed on to next grade and OHSAA is allowing all students to be eligible.

I concur.

I am not a teacher (I did teach calculus at Akron U while working on my masters). However, I have been working from home since the beginning of March. My wife had to keep going to work. So, I was "saddled" with helping the kids with their online classes each day.

In most homes it was a clusterF&CK between switching between Google Classroom, Khan Academy, Zoom meetings, Gizmodo or whatever it is. On top of that, the kids were not expected to learn/do even HALF of what they normally do.

Also, I have a few family members that are teachers in various school districts. In each of their districts they were told that no matter WHAT the student did during the last grading period (could have ignored EVERYTHING), they were to not get anything lower than the grades they got in the previous/in school grading period.

Meaning if they were a straight C student, and did zero at home, they got C's on the final grading period.

Kids need to be back in school, in class, with their teachers, period.
The Pandemic can be used as an excuse. But, what caused your school to be lacking? Kid's adapt very well to online learning. Could it be the educational system that lacks the tools? I have Skype communications and office meetings everyday. Have a webinar at 5pm today and they are located in Japan. I understand kids need to be provided a hard learning skill environment. But, do you think the teacher's want to go back to work?

How many districts have sent out notices to all employees about the BLM movement? How many have attended protest but don't want to go back to work? If teacher's go back and we could reform our education to be politically neutral I might agree. But can education as we know it survive? Maybe rural areas, but do you think Columbus,Cincinnati and Cleveland can? Have you driven thru any of those cities? Online learning with clubs is the answer IMO. Does anyone want to send their kids to school where the police are the pariah? I speak my mind and I see big problems.

I feel very badly for the children. They are the losers and need options that offer opportunities. I have ran the gauntlet with my children and it was a wonderful ride. I wish every child happiness and success as the know it. I respect any coach that has his heart in the sport of wrestling. Vigorous debate used to be acceptable. I hope they allow this thread to continue. This is about kids and different opinions.

No sanctioning body has allowed sports to happen because the government has precluded them from happening. With no sanctioning body around, that makes insurance a major issue.

If the government was to allow sports to happen, but the schools (i.e. OHSAA) decided not to sponsor/sanction sports, other existing groups (i.e. USAW, USSF, etc.) could choose to sponsor sports. Those other groups have insurance carriers and the such, which would reduce issues with insurance. Being I am far from an expert on the insurance side of things, I don't know the full scope; but what I do know is that the sanctioning bodies tie into insurance coverage. The question would then become what type of facilities would be willing to host events based on their existing policies and relationships (schools, rec centers, private facilities, etc) - and I do agree that would be "all over the place".

Trying to keep this as non-political as possible ...
Should the government deem it safe for sports to happen (outside of the ones that are already happening), sports will happen in some way, shape or form. It may not be within the traditional "school structure", because schools don't want to deal with the politics/liability of sanctioning the activities, or they can't deal with the dissonance b/n having sports and choosing to have hybrid or fully remote educational models. Private groups may have an extended reach compared to their normal role within a calendar year to plug the hole for a public (some of whom) that wish to have sporting activity happen.
Could this be the start of the USA wrestling solely freestyle & Greco? I would vote for that. JMO

Joe D:
Schools would have the choice to open up their facilities. I agree with the two posters below you though that most would choose not to.
City rec departments could choose to open up their facilities, I don't know if they would or wouldn't.
Private businesses seem most likely to open their facilities for clubs, or for that matter clubs to operate out of a private facility. However, there is a clear deficit in private facilities to accommodate club wrestling and events. Similar issues exist for the outdoor sports as well (i.e. baseball, soccer) - there are some private facilities, but there's lots of tie in to city and school-owned spaces.

All this is of course contingent on contact sports being allowed to have competitions again, which is presently not the case. My personal opinion is that competition will be allowed in contact sports for a meaningful chunk of time before schools choose to sponsor interscholastic competition for reasons primarily related to liability/policy.

The Pandemic can be used as an excuse. But, what caused your school to be lacking? Kid's adapt very well to online learning. Could it be the educational system that lacks the tools? I have Skype communications and office meetings everyday. Have a webinar at 5pm today and they are located in Japan. I understand kids need to be provided a hard learning skill environment. But, do you think the teacher's want to go back to work?

How many districts have sent out notices to all employees about the BLM movement? How many have attended protest but don't want to go back to work? If teacher's go back and we could reform our education to be politically neutral I might agree. But can education as we know it survive? Maybe rural areas, but do you think Columbus,Cincinnati and Cleveland can? Have you driven thru any of those cities? Online learning with clubs is the answer IMO. Does anyone want to send their kids to school where the police are the pariah? I speak my mind and I see big problems.

I feel very badly for the children. They are the losers and need options that offer opportunities. I have ran the gauntlet with my children and it was a wonderful ride. I wish every child happiness and success as the know it. I respect any coach that has his heart in the sport of wrestling. Vigorous debate used to be acceptable. I hope they allow this thread to continue. This is about kids and different opinions.
I had no problems getting my kids to manage and navigate the sites this spring. There was a shortfall on the assignments, but it was short notice for the teachers. I think online education can be excellent. Give the teachers a chance to develop it. With online learning, I can monitor the political bias in the assignments and challenge the beliefs being pushed because I am present. In class, I have no say. This may fix the left bias in our classrooms and make them politically unbiased.

Y
I had no problems getting my kids to manage and navigate the sites this spring. There was a shortfall on the assignments, but it was short notice for the teachers. I think online education can be excellent. Give the teachers a chance to develop it. With online learning, I can monitor the political bias in the assignments and challenge the beliefs being pushed because I am present. In class, I have no say. This may fix the left bias in our classrooms and make them politically unbiased.
Yeah right! This will be more monitoring by the federal government and even more bias. They will not only monitor test scores but every digital lesson. Also a whole lot less teachers needed and just digital courses and with time even fewer teachers as they smooth out the transition of a digital high school! Who you kidding!

In NE Ohio I know of North Ridgeville, Avon Lake and Independence so far. I am working out a plan with my AD so that we can start open mats hopefully next week. I believe open mats are being limited to just MS/HS students only, I know we are not going to allow anyone outside the district in ours.

In NE Ohio I know of North Ridgeville, Avon Lake and Independence so far. I am working out a plan with my AD so that we can start open mats hopefully next week. I believe open mats are being limited to just MS/HS students only, I know we are not going to allow anyone outside the district in ours.

I don't think you could per the governor's protocols.

I would think the only type of open mats where athletes from different districts could come together is if they are members of the same "club" and the open mats were hosted by a club. At least that's how I read the protocol from the governor's office.

This "may" help clarify things. From Ohio Dept of Health website. Contact sports practices & open gyms with other teams/clubs not permitted unless comply with list of stuff in Section 9. Order in effect until July 15th unless rescinded or modified.
1594237214425.png

1594236871170.png

1594236930643.png

1594236980925.png

1594237046318.png

1594237135225.png

1594237162807.png

Could this be the start of the USA wrestling solely freestyle & Greco? I would vote for that. JMO
So we just saw the Junior National and U23 get past this yet schools are doing away with winter sports. Hmmmm I wonder if this is the beginning of a new age in USA wrestling? Jr. High kids are heading to club teams..... If the only events are Freestyle & Greco can you blame a kid if he wants to compete vs. sit . JMO

So we just saw the Junior National and U23 get past this yet schools are doing away with winter sports. Hmmmm I wonder if this is the beginning of a new age in USA wrestling? Jr. High kids are heading to club teams..... If the only events are Freestyle & Greco can you blame a kid if he wants to compete vs. sit . JMO
I hope this post is satire. Online classes are not effective at teaching students, really laughable you suggest Khan Academy which is a joke of a resource. You obviously know nothing about the educational system, but since you are advocating club wrestling, I think that is clear.
Where is this situation now?

Dewine shutting everything down AGAIN!
The “Rhino” is complying to the script written by the left. Put your shoes back in the closet.
Sure, I’ll Put my tin foil hat back on.
?

Dewine shutting everything down AGAIN!
The “Rhino” is complying to the script written by the left. Put your shoes back in the closet.
Sure, I’ll Put my tin foil hat back on.
?
He is stupid but i dont think he is that stupid to shut everything down again!
Keep Calm and Wrestle on!!

I agree with what you have posted. But, this is now a political situation. The minute protest were allowed the rule of law went out the window. I have pictures of people within the educational system at protest. How I'm writing might seem radical, but the educational system is liberal. If this upsets some I apologize. I would encourage the organizations of clubs NOW!!! Use the OAC model and be ready. Courts will back rulings against denying rental of facilities. The rule of law must be enforced equally.

You said this: The minute protest were allowed the rule of law went out the window.
Freedom of expression is what makes our country great. We don't all have to agree with one another. Not allowing protests is against the law and the constitution. Don't be an authority hound...you might not like the authority in charge at the moment.

You said this: The minute protest were allowed the rule of law went out the window.
Freedom of expression is what makes our country great. We don't all have to agree with one another. Not allowing protests is against the law and the constitution. Don't be an authority hound...you might not like the authority in charge at the moment.
I hang out in debate forum. I'm sorry you don't understand lawful and unlawful.

I hang out in debate forum. I'm sorry you don't understand lawful and unlawful.

I hate saying this because everyone is entitled to their own opinion but: Danimal Dan was correct. Its literally in the first amendment that we have the right to protest. The only reason you're butthurt about it is because you're racist (we all saw your black lives matter post) and are trying to hide behind a screenname to spew hateful things about anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Also I cant imagine being so wrapped up in conspiracy theories or so narcissistic that you dont realize how uneducated and unintelligent you sound. You purposefully troll this forum and there's not one word about wrestling in your posts.

So as an educated Conservative from Massachusetts and on behalf of everyone: Get out of this forum. We are here to talk wrestling, not bow down to your far-right views. have a nice day!

I hate saying this because everyone is entitled to their own opinion but: Danimal Dan was correct. Its literally in the first amendment that we have the right to protest. The only reason you're butthurt about it is because you're racist (we all saw your black lives matter post) and are trying to hide behind a screenname to spew hateful things about anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Also I cant imagine being so wrapped up in conspiracy theories or so narcissistic that you dont realize how uneducated and unintelligent you sound. You purposefully troll this forum and there's not one word about wrestling in your posts.

So as an educated Conservative from Massachusetts and on behalf of everyone: Get out of this forum. We are here to talk wrestling, not bow down to your far-right views. have a nice day!
First, you're from the state of Massachusetts. That means you don’t know sheet about wrestling. I will respond only once.
The 1st amendment doesn't give you the right to break the law. You are permitted, in Ohio, to protest on the statehouse grounds. You also can protest on sidewalks but you can't block the sidewalks. Street protest require a permit with regulations. Those are standard laws in most states. Of course you're Massachusetts brain is aware of that.
The BLM riots destroyed Columbus. Starting at High street where the statehouse is, all the way down to campus. No permit was pulled. In fact, the mayor of Columbus had a meeting with law enforcement before the riot. His message was stand down. The events were a disaster for our city. They were unlawful

I tied the protest into the theme of social distancing and mask. We allow riots but put limitations on the wrestling community. Its ok to participate in unlawful events, but wrestling must be regulated. That's flawed thought in every way imo. The post kept getting more political, so I went to the proper forum. I'll stay where I'm at and hopefully they let this post stand. I check in on the wrestling news every once in a while. Just don't feel I have anything constructive to say about wrestling anymore. Check that, I hope the sport of wrestling prospers in the State of Ohio. Whatever form it might be.

Lmao first of all, born, raised and wrestled in the state of Ohio. I know this sport and have been around it for 18 years.

Secondly, I brought up Massachusetts because you are under the delusion that people with college degrees are inherently democratic. Yes, Massachusetts is left as can be but they at least know how engage in conversation, the masters degree on the wall behind me proves it. Being an educated conservative does not make me a democrat. It doesn't make any other republican with a college degree a democrat as well.

As much as I enjoyed your civics lesson about the state I grew up in (we all took Ohio history at one time or another), you do not represent the view of the majority. You've used this forum as a place to spew hatred and lies while not mentioning a single word about the upcoming season from a wrestler/team/coaches point of view. please take it to a different forum, we dont want to see it here. The moderators here should be ashamed of themselves for allowing a coward like you to consistently sit behind his/her keyboard and write the words that you do. Everyone has the right to protest guaranteed onto them by the Constitution. but one step further, they have the right to peacefully protest. So I will concede my argument on that point.

Oh and on behalf of everyone, please learn the difference between your and you're. it might actually show a semblance of an educated mind.

Moving on, as much as I would love to see the OAC strike here, the fact remains that schools run the show when it comes to hosting events. Its hard to imagine the OHSAA member schools allowing a third party to use their gyms during a pandemic.

"Moving on, as much as I would love to see the OAC strike here, the fact remains that schools run the show when it comes to hosting events. Its hard to imagine the OHSAA member schools allowing a third party to use their gyms during a pandemic."

This strikes to the point of the argument. If the OAC tried to poach wrestling, not only would the OHSAA not support schools using gyms for OAC events, the OHSAA would actively try to kill the sport. Wrestling may survive the fight but it would be mortally wounded. The OAC jumping in would be the death of the sport in Ohio.