Mr. Football

Yeah but you have to put strength of schedule. Luke Catholic plays actual football teams. Van Wert plays small D4 and D5 schools. Haven’t seen Van wert play a team like walsh or Kirtland.
So does that mean Maty Mauk, Ben Mauk, Evan Prater and Corey Kiner (among others) didn't or aren't playing anybody since they were D4 and D5 guys? Man, it's funny people on here who don't actually watch football that post sometimes. No one chooses who they play against or at what level and if you still put up good numbers against the competition you are playing like lots of players do then you are a good player regardless of level.

So does that mean Maty Mauk, Ben Mauk, Evan Prater and Corey Kiner (among others) didn't or aren't playing anybody since they were D4 and D5 guys? Man, it's funny people on here who don't actually watch football that post sometimes. No one chooses who they play against or at what level and if you still put up good numbers against the competition you are playing like lots of players do then you are a good player regardless of level.
If this were true, then we would see a LOT more top performing Division II and DIvision III college players being drafted by the NFL— but we don’t— the NFL is NOT interested in drafting Mt. Union’s top performing player, 99% of the time— and that is even true, to an extent, for the players posting outrageous numbers playing in lesser Division I college leagues— the NFL knows that top statistical performances in the MAC (or by another BYU QB) generally don’t add up to a top draft pick— they (may) make a player “draftable”— but they don’t (usually) make him the #1 draft pick (aka “Mr. Football”)–- but with all of the lower division Mr. Football’s that Ohio has named, it would be analogous to the NFL’s top draft pick comng from a MAC or WAC or Ivy League (or Mt, Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater) school, more than half the time.

i have to ask (again)— how is Evan Prater doing at Cincinnati this year— with the level of hype that he had in high school, one would expect him to be an immediate sensation in college— I look at a kid like Sam Howell (who walked in the door at North Carolina last year, and was an IMMEDIATE sensation at QB— at a big-name school, in a big-name conference)— Howell was a pretty top recruit— but I don’t think he was anybody’s (NC?) ”Mr. Football”-- Prater was— and in one of the top five HS football states in the country (by most measures)... you would expect Prater to make an immediate impact, given his apparent pedigree...

If this were true, then we would see a LOT more top performing Division II and DIvision III college players being drafted by the NFL— but we don’t— the NFL is NOT interested in drafting Mt. Union’s top performing player, 99% of the time— and that is even true, to an extent, for the players posting outrageous numbers playing in lesser Division I college leagues— the NFL knows that top statistical performances in the MAC (or by another BYU QB) generally don’t add up to a top draft pick— they (may) make a player “draftable”— but they don’t (usually) make him the #1 draft pick (aka “Mr. Football”)–- but with all of the lower division Mr. Football’s that Ohio has named, it would be analogous to the NFL’s top draft pick comng from a MAC or WAC or Ivy League (or Mt, Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater) school, more than half the time.

i have to ask (again)— how is Evan Prater doing at Cincinnati this year— with the level of hype that he had in high school, one would expect him to be an immediate sensation in college— I look at a kid like Sam Howell (who walked in the door at North Carolina last year, and was an IMMEDIATE sensation at QB— at a big-name school, in a big-name conference)— Howell was a pretty top recruit— but I don’t think he was anybody’s (NC?) ”Mr. Football”-- Prater was— and in one of the top five HS football states in the country (by most measures)... you would expect Prater to make an immediate impact, given his apparent pedigree...

I'm not going to argue the first paragraph. I agree with you there and have known that that has been true for years. Not every 4/5-star QB is going to step in and play right away. UC has a bonafide starting QB in Desmond Ridder and there could be a multitude of reasons Prater is not playing such as simply redshirting, doesn't know the playbook well enough, needs to develop more physically, etc. That happens all over college football every single year. Sam Howell walked into a great situation at UNC and everything could've fit perfectly for him (scheme, terminology, etc.) that he could pick it up and play right away. IMO, Prater isn't anywhere close to being a Sam Howell but I digress. Every situation a QB walks into is going to be different no matter how good you are. I was also just saying that every level of HS football in Ohio has produced D1 guys no matter the competition/level. That was my original point in my post anyways.

Reactions: 4GX
Yeah but you have to put strength of schedule. Luke Catholic plays actual football teams. Van Wert plays small D4 and D5 schools. Haven’t seen Van wert play a team like walsh or Kirtland.
Thankfully for Van Wert they escaped Bellevue, Shelby, and Wyoming considering they're not real football teams.

Also, how did Lake Catholic do against those real teams? Down 31-0 to Kirtland at halftime and lost to Walsh by 2 scores?

Last edited:
No dismissing strength of schedule aspect..

I try and picture how a kid might look on the field with X or Hoban....

I'm not sure Kiner would stand out...

I do believe you'd notice Reid.

I know what Kipp has done for 3 years..

Carrico or Kipp.

Kipp don't play D.

Carrico.

You misspelled "get pounded by Walsh or Kirtland."

That said, Malchesky is SOOO much fun to watch play. Don't think he's a Mr Football candidate, but he'd definitely be up for 2020 Playoff MVP.

You misspelled "get pounded by Walsh or Kirtland."

That said, Malchesky is SOOO much fun to watch play. Don't think he's a Mr Football candidate, but he'd definitely be up for 2020 Playoff MVP.
That's all that matters..getting to enjoy watching a kid enjoy playing the game...McGuire didn't win but he was the top back in the state. I enjoyed watching him play.

Kirtland fan here...if I had a vote it would go to Reid Carrico of Ironton. Dominant 2 way player playing against very tough competition. And in the semifinals scores 3 TDS, rushes for almost 200 yards...and he is a better defensive player than he is on offense

Kirtland fan here...if I had a vote it would go to Reid Carrico of Ironton. Dominant 2 way player playing against very tough competition. And in the semifinals scores 3 TDS, rushes for almost 200 yards...and he is a better defensive player than he is on offense
Agree...

But it's kinda obvious Kirtland has the better 1-33...not that Ironton is a slouch...

That's what makes this game so compelling.

Agree...

But it's kinda obvious Kirtland has the better 1-33...not that Ironton is a slouch...

That's what makes this game so compelling.
Agree with that as well. I remember last year in the playoffs Kirtland played Akron Manchester and beat them convincingly 32-7...but as a Kirtland fan i had a blast watching Ethan Wright of Manchester play. Kirtland played very disciplined defense trying to stop Wright and were in good position, but Wright was hurdling everyone all game long

I guess, if it comes down to these two, I’d give it to Carrico because: 1) He’s a dominant player on both offense AND defense— his offensive stats are in the neighborhood with KIner’s— but he’s actually recruited to play LB for OSU (apparently); 2) His team beat Kiner’s team head-to-head, with Carrico having a better game (statistically) than Kiner....

I think Mr. Football is pretty much a joke— it’s a lot like the Heisman, only worse-- no one really has ANY idea what most of these kids actually are like or can do—because there are so many disparities in the level of competition that they face (due to both Division levels AND schedule difficulty), and most of the voters have never even seen a picture, let alone game action, of the players that they vote on... I remember a few years back (more than a decade ago), when (I think) North Canton Hoover had this beast of a man-child, who played Tailback for Hoover, and was racking up ALL KINDS of stats— and the Northeast Ohio media mafia horde was well organized and determined to vote him this award (which was ironic, because, if I recall correctly, this kid ALSO had a raft of questionable character issues)— but even in Northeast Ohio at Division I Hoover, this player did NOT face the kind of competition that Ig or Ed or the GCL South schools face weekly... There was also a QB at a small school in Central OH, Maty Mauk? (his dad was his coach—Kenton?)— he racked up incredible stats throwing the ball 40-60 times/game, against small schools who barely ever even saw a forward pass the rest of the season–- I don’t know if Mauk won it— but I KNEW he wasn’t the best football player in OH that year (even though he did go on to play college Division I football)...

And then there’s the problem that (like the Heisman), all the emphasis is on offensive players— NO ONE even talks about a dominant defensive player as in the running— and never will— no matter WHAT they do— does anyone think that there was likely an actual better football player in the state of Ohio, in the 2008 season, than Luke Keuchley from St. Xavier (who played a safety/LB hybrid position called “Adjustor” for St. X that year)— He’s almost CERTAINLY the most talented football player that Ohio HS football had that year— he’s pretty likely to be the only one playing in Ohio that year who will be voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (after setting a record for the most tackles in NCAA Division I history, in just THREE YEARS of college play at Boston College in the ACC)— but St. X had a losing record his senior year, and NOBODY was going to talk about HIM for Mr. Football...

All that is a long way of saying, I guess Carrico is as a good a candidate as we’ll find, seeing as he also plays a BIG role on both offense and defense— seems like THAT would better fit the role of MR. FOOTBALL, than someone who only shines on one side of the ball (or the other)... perhaps that is self-limiting, in that the truly transcendent talents (e.g.- a Mitch Trubisky at QB for Mentor, or a Luke Keuchley at X) are so good at what they do, that no one wants to detract from that by making them into “all-purpose” players— especially at the larger enrollment schools, where they typically have enough talent to make it more astute to play more guys, and have more specialization— AND (especially when it comes to QBs) also, NO ONE wants to risk blowing up their season (and/or damaging a top prospect’s future college/pro career potential), by getting their QB or RB or WR hurt playing LB or safety, or some such...
Dante Booker of St. V's in 2013 won it for his LB play.

Carrico will probably win Mr Football, but Kiner gets my vote(if I had one)

Sidenote, Carrico will be a special teams player at TOSU, and that's all. Just not that impressed with him. Imo

Hamm should get some consideration but may not. He quarterbacked an undefeated state champion, his third in four tries. He amassed 50 career victories. Special player led his team back to the title in covid season.

Hamm should get some consideration but may not. He quarterbacked an undefeated state champion, his third in four tries. He amassed 50 career victories. Special player led his team back to the title in covid season.
Hamm is a beast, but hard to count his victories toward Mr Football. He played with more college D1 football players than the Akron U qb

Last edited:
Carrico will probably win Mr Football, but Kiner gets my vote(if I had one)

Sidenote, Carrico will be a special teams player at TOSU, and that's all. Just not that impressed with him. Imo
First time I saw him play was today in the title game. Even in the 1st half he didn't run to the ball consistently and seemed to give up on a play defensively after a mistake. I wasn't wowed by him as a guy who would be Mr. football. Now that's just one game.

Dude definitely runs the ball hard though. He is a project type guy for OSU. Could end up playing for them as an upperclassman. Good luck to him.

By the way Kirtland is a monster program too! Can we just give that team the Mr. Football award

Last edited:
How many stars was Tate Martell?

Is this supposed to be a gotcha? There’s a reason why the best teams year in and year out in college football are the same ones that finish at the top in the recruiting rankings. Not every player pans out, but the rankings absolutely mean something and if you have offers from Ohio State, Bama and Clemson you belong.