TSYS

D-I
_2020_All-OhioHonors--DI-Boys.png

D-II
_2020_All-OhioHonors--DII-Boys.png

D-III
_2020_All-OhioHonors--DIII-Boys.png

Last edited:

Howlands Altawil was hands down player of the year in D2 over Pritchard. Head to Head Altawil had the game winning goal against Bay and Pritchard was never a threat. Stiles also out coached Dougherty.

Howlands Altawil was hands down player of the year in D2 over Pritchard. Head to Head Altawil had the game winning goal against Bay and Pritchard was never a threat. Stiles also out coached Dougherty.
Also, Jordan Sperling made 1st team all-state last year, had just as good of a year. What more did Lucas Brill have to do to get honors at GK, Have a full season of shutouts?

For those unfamiliar, the awards process starts at the local association level and goes up to the state meeting.

There are ten associations statewide that get an allocation of all-state spots based on the ratio of the number of member schools in the association for the division to the number of total member schools statewide in the division.

Bay's association had seven all-state bids (b/n 1st and 2nd team) - Greater Cleveland
Howland's association had three (I think) all-state bids - Youngstown. From the D2 list, I identified Howland (1), Poland (1), and Canfield (1) as members of the Youngstown association. If there's another Youngstown association member school that got all-state, please do point it out.

The players who got all-state were picked in the local meetings. Bay got three kids out of the seven at their local meeting, Howland got one out of three (or whatever the final number was) at their local meeting.

For those unfamiliar, the awards process starts at the local association level and goes up to the state meeting.

There are ten associations statewide that get an allocation of all-state spots based on the ratio of the number of member schools in the association for the division to the number of total member schools statewide in the division.

Bay's association had seven all-state bids (b/n 1st and 2nd team) - Greater Cleveland
Howland's association had three (I think) all-state bids - Youngstown. From the D2 list, I identified Howland (1), Poland (1), and Canfield (1) as members of the Youngstown association. If there's another Youngstown association member school that got all-state, please do point it out.

The players who got all-state were picked in the local meetings. Bay got three kids out of the seven at their local meeting, Howland got one out of three (or whatever the final number was) at their local meeting.
Thank you for responding. So I’m sure the reason for doing it this way is to make it that the smaller districts get some representation. But in this case the system worked against a team in a smaller district (Howland). I would hope that if every coach voted, Howland would get more players honored. Perhaps the reasoning of the Youngstown district is that they think more then 3 players were deserving so they tried represent three different schools. I don’t agree with the Bay coach getting coach of the year 2 years in a row over Coach Stiles from Howland. I would think that the coach from Tippecanoe would be a better choice then the coach from Bay again. Just one question, could the Youngstown district ever get more then 1 player on 1st team Allstate ?

Thank you for responding. So I’m sure the reason for doing it this way is to make it that the smaller districts get some representation. But in this case the system worked against a team in a smaller district (Howland). I would hope that if every coach voted, Howland would get more players honored. Perhaps the reasoning of the Youngstown district is that they think more then 3 players were deserving so they tried represent three different schools. I don’t agree with the Bay coach getting coach of the year 2 years in a row over Coach Stiles from Howland. I would think that the coach from Tippecanoe would be a better choice then the coach from Bay again. Just one question, could the Youngstown district ever get more then 1 player on 1st team Allstate ?

There's a lack of understanding here. Everything is an allocation.
The number of spots for all-state -- and then the split out b/n 1st and 2nd -- is an allocation.
The associations are assigned their allocation based on the number of member schools to the statewide number of member schools (Greater Cleveland had seven spots split out 2 & 5 for instance).
Each local association has a meeting in which they vote - 1st is for the all-state, then they select the first team for their association, and then the second team.

There's a lack of understanding here. Everything is an allocation.
The number of spots for all-state -- and then the split out b/n 1st and 2nd -- is an allocation.
The associations are assigned their allocation based on the number of member schools to the statewide number of member schools (Greater Cleveland had seven spots split out 2 & 5 for instance).
Each local association has a meeting in which they vote - 1st is for the all-state, then they select the first team for their association, and then the second team.
So if Pele and David Beckham played in D2 in the Youngstown district, only 1 could make 1st team all state?

So if Pele and David Beckham played in D2 in the Youngstown district, only 1 could make 1st team all state?

If they are allowed only 1 from the Youngstown District, then yes that is correct.

So I'll talk about Miami Valley (cause that's what I'm familiar with).

The number of All State selections per district, per division, per gender is based on the number of coaches that belong the local, state and national associations (yes you have to be a member of all three). Miami Valley got 8 this year (only had 7 a couple of years ago).

Our top 8 vote getters from the All District team automatically qualify for all state. I say qualify, because it has happened in the past where someone didn't turn in paper work and things like that.

At the all state meeting, 1 member from each district attends and votes for top 25. Only the top 18 vote getters make 1st team and only the State Board knows as they are the ones that tally the votes and verify everything is on the up and up. Everyone else is 2nd team. Each district is allowed to put names of how many kids they think belongs on, qualifies for, or maybe just likes. Generally a strong district will put 4 maybe 5 for 1st team. With 5 you generally will taking votes away from the other 4. Back when I used to attend 3 or 4 was generally the max but that creates issues if only 18 or 19 are nominated for 1st team.

If they are allowed only 1 from the Youngstown District, then yes that is correct.

So I'll talk about Miami Valley (cause that's what I'm familiar with).

The number of All State selections per district, per division, per gender is based on the number of coaches that belong the local, state and national associations (yes you have to be a member of all three). Miami Valley got 8 this year (only had 7 a couple of years ago).

Our top 8 vote getters from the All District team automatically qualify for all state. I say qualify, because it has happened in the past where someone didn't turn in paper work and things like that.

At the all state meeting, 1 member from each district attends and votes for top 25. Only the top 18 vote getters make 1st team and only the State Board knows as they are the ones that tally the votes and verify everything is on the up and up. Everyone else is 2nd team. Each district is allowed to put names of how many kids they think belongs on, qualifies for, or maybe just likes. Generally a strong district will put 4 maybe 5 for 1st team. With 5 you generally will taking votes away from the other 4. Back when I used to attend 3 or 4 was generally the max but that creates issues if only 18 or 19 are nominated for 1st team.
Thank you. Best description I have seen as yet as to how this works. It is an interesting concept. I understand it as necessary, but it does lead to some players being honored significantly higher than they should be and some being left off when they should not. In 2019 there was a second team all state player whose team I covered all year. He was a senior captain and led the team in goals, but was in the opinion of people i trust, the 6th or 7th best player on the team. when i asked the coach abut his decision to nominate him, he said, well he is a senior and a captain and if coaches haven't seen a team play, they basically vote on goal totals. so i figured it was our school's best chance of getting someone through the process.

Altawil was indeed the POY. Not even close. Mr. Pickett would probably even tell you that.

If you watch that Bay-Howland game Pickett is maybe the 5th best player on the field.

Stiles did indeed outcoach Dougherty. Bay did the same thing for 80 minutes and never adjusted or did anything at all to improve their chances of winning. He appeared to be more worried about the ref and assigning blame in his post game rant rather than coaching.

It's interesting that Bay keeps getting rewarded for mediocre wins over mediocre programs and make believe AP poll titles despite repeating crashing out of the postseason to perceived weaker opponents and not winning a title since the Clinton administration.

I realize there's lots of politics and a system in place that determines these awards, but rewarding the Massillon of high school soccer year after is a little silly.

A system by the way that was changed this year in order to balance out the perception that certain teams from certain areas had 'easy' paths to the the state final 4.

I'm sure no one in D2 thought that after all that maneuvering they would get a rematch.

Kudos to both Tipp and Howland coaches and their teams on excellent seasons.

Howland was out-played by Bay in that game. Howland got a super-soft penalty and got the result.
I'm sorry Howland homers can't accept the reality.

Howland was out-played by Bay in that game. Howland got a super-soft penalty and got the result.
I'm sorry Howland homers can't accept the reality.
The reality is we took home the State Championship and Bay started the club season early!