Midwest Athletic Conference 2020

The TV announcers during Hoban game were wondering about quarterbacks who won three championships as a starter. Did the Versailles Qb in the 90's win 3 state titles as a starter? I think his name was Turner
Dang it, i missed it. They said he is the second, but missed whom was the first.
Was it from Mar11on Local?

The TV announcers during Hoban game were wondering about quarterbacks who won three championships as a starter. Did the Versailles Qb in the 90's win 3 state titles as a starter? I think his name was Turner
Jason Turner did indeed lead Versailles to state titles from ‘93 to ‘95. He lost his first start as a sophomore to Marion Local and then guided the Tigers to 41 straight wins.

Congrats to Coach Schmidt. He went 7-22 at his alma mater Bellefontaine, then took a New Bremen job that few wanted. Now he's a state champ. Good stuff.

He's now the third former CBC coach to win a state title in the MAC in the last five years.
I just heard about it last night that he was at Bell....is there a story behind not having a multiple of ten of games coached there?
Whom are the others?

I just heard about it last night that he was at Bell....is there a story behind not having a multiple of ten of games coached there?
Whom are the others?

They had a game against Carroll cancelled one year. I don't remember the details. That's why he had 29 games at Bellefontaine instead of 30.

Both Stokes and Marino coached at Urbana.

They had a game against Carroll cancelled one year. I don't remember the details. That's why he had 29 games at Bellefontaine instead of 30.

Both Stokes and Marino coached at Urbana.
Gotcha.. was going it was not a Coach Carr scenario at Coldwater.

Urbana, I guess I did know that.. that program has fallen to a dark place. I really like their stadium and setting, but the on field product....
Maybe New Bremen story can be inspiration..

Gotcha.. was going it was not a Coach Carr scenario at Coldwater.

Urbana, I guess I did know that.. that program has fallen to a dark place. I really like their stadium and setting, but the on field product....
Maybe New Bremen story can be inspiration..

Stokes and Marino played for Dave Carroll, who left Urbana to coach his alma mater Clear Fork. 30 years ago you would have seen coaches from Minster, Anna (had they had football) and Clear Fork leave for Urbana, not the other way around.

My takeaway from all of it is that there are a lot of good football coaches out there that if put in the right situation would find success. Stokes and Marino did well in the regular season at Urbana but went 0fer in the playoffs. Schmidt had a losing record at Bellefontaine. But you put all of them in great communities with talent to go with it, and all three became state champions. MAC power, indeed.

Stokes and Marino played for Dave Carroll, who left Urbana to coach his alma mater Clear Fork. 30 years ago you would have seen coaches from Minster, Anna (had they had football) and Clear Fork leave for Urbana, not the other way around.

My takeaway from all of it is that there are a lot of good football coaches out there that if put in the right situation would find success. Stokes and Marino did well in the regular season at Urbana but went 0fer in the playoffs. Schmidt had a losing record at Bellefontaine. But you put all of them in great communities with talent to go with it, and all three became state champions. MAC power, indeed.
Some of it is right place, right time and some times ya just may not be ready to be the HC at the varsity level and a break and learning experience is huge. As a HS HC you are much more than just a coach of on team. You are the administrator of a program from 7th grade on up and that is much more than just Xs and Os.

I agree with most of your post except for their being a lot of good coaches out there. To me the jury is still out on Marino, some including myself thought Anna underperformed the 2 previous seasons before their state title.

I agree with most of your post except for their being a lot of good coaches out there. To me the jury is still out on Marino, some including myself thought Anna underperformed the 2 previous seasons before their state title.
We shall see about Anna. That class was dominating since 7tj grade as that talent was generational and now it's a true test of a coaching staff.

Are they a great program or did they just have a great team? Time will tell.

I saw Anna live twice this year. Week 0 in a scrimmage and week 8 or 9 vs Indian Lake. They made much better strides than lL from start to finish so that is a good thing.
I agree though, that JR year in 2019 they should have progressed much further down the playoff trail.

Some of it is right place, right time and some times ya just may not be ready to be the HC at the varsity level and a break and learning experience is huge. As a HS HC you are much more than just a coach of on team. You are the administrator of a program from 7th grade on up and that is much more than just Xs and Os.
A good example of this is Chip Otten's 26-34 record at Middletown

A good example of this is Chip Otten's 26-34 record at Middletown
Know a guy who coached with Coach O while there and wished they gave him more support and time. He still is coaching in Columbus and always had good things to say about him.

Not easy to follow a legend and he has done so. We see it often when a new coach comes in and the program falls quickly.

Coach Reed was very, very close to taking the Massillon job a number of yearsgo, practically accepted but wanted the weekend to make a final decision. A walk around town and down the bike path and running into many people he knew he reportedly made his decision to stay.

I am huge on right place at the right time. A few more years of his tutulidge and building the program is the reason why we are here today in my opinion.

Coach Reed was very, very close to taking the Massillon job a number of yearsgo, practically accepted but wanted the weekend to make a final decision. A walk around town and down the bike path and running into many people he knew he reportedly made his decision to stay.

I am huge on right place at the right time. A few more years of his tutulidge and building the program is the reason why we are here today in my opinion.
Agree about right place right culture but Baughman and Hetrich both built great programs and they came crashing down quickly. Once Goodwin leaves Marion Local unless the Flyers get lucky and hire a great coach I expect ML to go back to being a slightly better than 500 team.

Now South Adams needs to show up in the 1A title game next week.

Grudgingly I'll have to agree being an AC guy. I think SA will have their hands full though. They're playing a Christian school that's a couple blocks from Ben Davis and I believe another large 5/6A school. They knocked off a really good squad that were state runner ups last year by a point. South Adams did knock off the defending state champs. The defending state champs, Lafayette Central Catholic lost some key seniors and had played very few games due to COVID hitting their school 2 or 3x. I'm afraid that this school will have talented kids that didn't want to wait their turn at big Ben Davis. Also will have to root on Fort Wayne Bishop Luers since my 2nd cousin is a female kicker on their team. She was the first female to score points for the prestigious program. This program won 4 straight titles when ND & Dallas Cowboy Jaylon Smith played, plus others before that. Her brother played soccer as well and then became the FG&XP kicker during a couple of those titles in their 4 straight run. She has MAC bloodlines as her mom & aunts went and played sports at Parkway. Her aunt is a Parkway HOFer and was MAC VB player of the year during her high school career. You may also know her father's restaurant that was just outside Ft Wayne and he used to run/own the one in Willshire before that.

One last 2020 thought.....

Thank God we lit it up with Two titles this year, because for the foreseeable future the league is going to be really down.