D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how many cities and towns do they have players from ? Do you have a roster that includes the players hometowns ? 15-20 different places ? thanks if you have that information . So transfer rules don't apply at all ? Open means they take nay kid who shows up from anywhere anytime ? Wow , I have to keep up lol

Massillon functions similar to a Catholic school, they take kids from anywhere because they couldn't win with their home grown talent. They have had transfers from as far away as Cincinnati, they have been ostracized by every local school for poaching, you can see on the Ohio High School Athletic Association site just how many the Tigers have imported, it's reaching a point where they will be forced up to D1 because of the volume. The Tigers fans will always come back that school X recruited a softball player, so it's just not them, the problem is that outside of football, the Tigers sports programs suck, they generally play down two levels in off sports and still stink.

Speaking of....
15 years or so at Fawcett a group of 4-5 Canton McKinley guys, whom I presumed to be coaches as they had McKinley football ooats that you see teams have, were power slamming quite a few beers up in the bleachers. I would have to guess there was a least a case of empty beer cans at the end of the game.

A case of beer between 4-5 coaches? is that a lot?

Personally,
this matchup is not in the spirit of high school football with BOTH teams bringing kids in from all over the place.
The one kid in the post game even mentioned ring chasing....

Just not what I think of when it comes to High School Sports. I much more prefer the programs that if you want to see whom their seniors will be in 5 years you go and watch the seventh grade game.

Speaking of....
15 years or so at Fawcett a group of 4-5 Canton McKinley guys, whom I presumed to be coaches as they had McKinley football ooats that you see teams have, were power slamming quite a few beers up in the bleachers. I would have to guess there was a least a case of empty beer cans at the end of the game.

When Lima beat Ignatius in the finals @ PBTS, we kicked a section of former Ignatius players out of the game, for throwing their beer cans on the visitors track and arrested one of their former running backs for trespassing, when he snuck back in the stadium.

He was one of their top players and tried to beg out of being arrested because it might hurt his political career. I believe he is a lawyer and had the record expunged.

Last edited:
Massillon functions similar to a Catholic school, they take kids from anywhere because they couldn't win with their home grown talent. They have had transfers from as far away as Cincinnati, they have been ostracized by every local school for poaching, you can see on the Ohio High School Athletic Association site just how many the Tigers have imported, it's reaching a point where they will be forced up to D1 because of the volume. The Tigers fans will always come back that school X recruited a softball player, so it's just not them, the problem is that outside of football, the Tigers sports programs suck, they generally play down two levels in off sports and still stink.
??????

Tiger fans are silent, because they are either highly intoxicated, or they have come to realize that the window has closed on them. Give them 24 hours and they will be back, and they will be hyping that they are the alternative Federal League Champs, that's all they have. They know in their hearts that they have never won a legit title on the field, they are similar to Nebraska in college football, that won a couple of AP titles but has done nothing once they were forced to win a legit title. Massillon has won zero state titles that were earned on the field, they know that outside of football they have zero chance of winning anything, they can't even win a District in any other sport. If Massillon was forced to use only Massillon school district players they are a 6-7 game winner most seasons, they don't have the talent in the feeder system and this has been the case for the last five years. The actual people that have brains in Massillon like the Athletic Director, realize Massillon desperately needs to be in a league, but they have been weighed twice by the Federal League and rejected, and they recently applied to the Suburban and were dismissed without considerations. Im all for them joining the FED, but they have basically been blackballed by every league in NE Ohio for their lack of control of the program.

Personally,
this matchup is not in the spirit of high school football with BOTH teams bringing kids in from all over the place.
The one kid in the post game even mentioned ring chasing....

Just not what I think of when it comes to High School Sports. I much more prefer the programs that if you want to see whom their seniors will be in 5 years you go and watch the seventh grade game.
?????

Tiger fans are silent, because they are either highly intoxicated, or they have come to realize that the window has closed on them. Give them 24 hours and they will be back, and they will be hyping that they are the alternative Federal League Champs, that's all they have. They know in their hearts that they have never won a legit title on the field, they are similar to Nebraska in college football, that won a couple of AP titles but has done nothing once they were forced to win a legit title. Massillon has won zero state titles that were earned on the field, they know that outside of football they have zero chance of winning anything, they can't even win a District in any other sport. If Massillon was forced to use only Massillon school district players they are a 6-7 game winner most seasons, they don't have the talent in the feeder system and this has been the case for the last five years. The actual people that have brains in Massillon like the Athletic Director, realize Massillon desperately needs to be in a league, but they have been weighed twice by the Federal League and rejected, and they recently applied to the Suburban and were dismissed without considerations. Im all for them joining the FED, but they have basically been blackballed by every league in NE Ohio for their lack of control of the program.
Well said, spot on.... ? ? ?

Last edited:
Even a school like 'Storied " Massillon will never get as many good players as Hoban because Hoban players don't have to really move anywhere . Massillon kids at least have to get PO boxes and move locations .Hoban football academy which is striving to be a national player{ alreadt there really} is open to players of wide area ,and for those who may not want the incredible hardship of longer drives home like the poor ST X kids endure lol . I mean Hoban basically went through the motions the last couple weeks and were able to wait until this week to really focus . Too easy , and they will win 4 out of 5 titles for the next 15-20 years if they choose to keep it going . Being a football academy that is like a St John Bosco St Thomas Aquanis , Bishop Gorman , Mater Dei et al. I mean Hoban even got a Dublin Coffman Senior transfer who looked like their best defensive back tonight { By far }

You don't think Nate Moore put down roots here and thinks "open enrollment" isn't an equalizer. His record on the field proves it. At LaSalle and now Massillon. Then there's the outside chance the OHSAA will put all these programs in a separate division, where they belong. They already are having trouble filling a schedule. The other schools have grown tired of a lose - lose situation, scheduling teams, that sets back or ruins your season

Last edited:
You don't think Nate Moore put down roots here and thinks "open enrollment" isn't an equalizer. His record on the field proves it. At LaSalle and now Massillon. Then there's the outside chance the OHSAA will put all these programs is a separate division, where they belong. They already are having trouble filling a schedule. The other schools have grown tired of a lose - lose situation, scheduling teams, that sets back or ruins your season

That's a pipe dream

This^^

Wasn't there a song that had "where have all the flowers gone?" in it. I ask where have all the Massillon fans gone? What time do the bars close under the curfew?

The ohsaa could only delay the beating for so long. They did everything they could for the paper tigers. They shouldn’t even have been in the finals. Thanks to the ohsaa they moved their region to avoid Hoban as long as possible. Let’s see if Massillon stays in region 7. Where is the man with multiple screen names . Hahaha. PAPER .....

That would be John Lee Pettimore, he has had about seven screen names, personally, I think Heff was his best one. That was until someone actually met Heff, and he pissed his pants. I find it absolutely hilarious that people say Massillon doesn't recruit like Hoban, good lord Massillon has been sanctioned how many times for recruiting? If you want to move the Catholic schools to their own division, then Im fine with that, but their should be zero tolerance for public schools to recruit other districts, which Massillon would never abide by, they can't win with their local talent and they know this. If you go to zero tolerance then the Massillon program would be essentially shuttered within two years. You can't have it both ways! Alright all together now, in 24 hours we will hear the following form Massillon fans when they wake up from their booze induced night: 1) We won the Federal League, 2) We have X amount of state championships, or 3) Moore needs to go. I would agree with number #3, Tyrell made Moore look like a JV coach. OSHAA is going to be forced to push Massillon up to D1 with the amount of transfers, Tiger fans were in unison when they got demoted to D2 that they would rule, it hasn't happened, there was the running clock against Perrysburg, the loss to a mid table Highland, and two straight beat downs in the title game, do yo really think this will improve being pushed up to D1?

Like the undefeated Dolphins, the 1970 Massillon Tigers wait for the sons of Obie to replace them as the next State Football champion from Washington High. Next year is not this year. Here's to Bob Cummings, who lead the Tigers in 1970 and moved on from Tigertown to the head coaching position at Iowa. Here's to Dennis Franklin and Steve Luke who lead the U of M and OSU to the 10-10 tie in 1973. Here's to Larry Harper who was part of Miami University's undefeated 1973 team which defeated Florida in their bowl game and 1974's championship team which beat Georgia in it's bowl game. Don't forget Tommy Cardinal who moved on to BW and played in several title games against the Blue Hens from Delaware. Toss in Mike Muager, Tim Ridgely, Steve Studer, Tim Spencer, and many other legends that were part of that team. Maybe next year.

Massillon will be back. They do too good of a job of attracting talent not to be. Nobody on the D2 public side does it better. Unfortunately, Hoban does it from an even greater base on the private side.

Wasn't there a song that had "where have all the flowers gone?" in it. I ask where have all the Massillon fans gone? What time do the bars close under the curfew?

The bars in Massillon close at 2 a.m., most of the bars there resemble mid-evil bars with the average IQ right around 80. Let's hope that the Massillon PD has a drama free night and that most of the adult drunk Tiger fans call an Uber

Good Win Hoban. Back in the 2003 2004 2005 you were a Classy
Program. That part of Hoban is Clearly Long Gone.
You should have watched New Bremen Today. Now that’s a classy
Program with disciplined Kids. Heck your the Transfer Capital of Ohio
High School Football. Hope you can keep it going. Watch out Karma May be in
The Closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.