Reaction to Massillon Getting to Play at Home for a Title

What do you think about Massillon getting to play at home for their first real title?

• Advantage Massillon - they've only played one game outside Massillon all year so this is familiar

• Advantage Hoban - they get a little extra motivation to flex in Tiger town

• More pressure on Massillon - they would face the embarrassment of losing with every advantage

• More pressure on Hoban - home field still worth a couple points

• No real advantage to either

• It should never be allowed under any circumstance

• It adds another reason for the asterisk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again--we played and BEAT Hoban at Infocision last year. Infocision is quite literally down the street from Hoban's field (which only holds 2500 at full capacity).

You can imagine all you want--we played what amounted to as close as any team could have for a "home" game within driving distance of Massillon in the regional finals against Hoban last year.

If they decided to play it at Infocision this year I'm sure there would be no outcry from anyone in Massillon.

The fact remains that Massillon got the games because we stepped up to the logistical challenge of hosting 6 football games in 3 days on 1 day's notice.
The difference is that the game last year wasn't at Hoban's field. Close? Yes, but not there. Just like NO ONE would have anything to say if this year's game was being played at Benson, just down the road from Massillon.

The difference is that the game last year wasn't at Hoban's field. Close? Yes, but not there. Just like NO ONE would have anything to say if this year's game was being played at Benson, just down the road from Massillon.
Hoban's stadium couldn't fit 1500 people in it under current social distancing guidelines if it were 5x the size so save your mental gymnastics, Dunkinbiner.

So there have been a few occasions this past week where Doritos, and no other specific snack product, have been mentioned in relation to Massillon. Is it a preference amongst Yappi folks? Does Massillon have a sponsorship deal with Doritos? Is it just coincidence? Am I missing something?
Championship+the lettuce=Doritos

So, I am curious. Were you this outraged in 2004 when McKinley played for a state title on their home field? Did you think that it gave them an advantage? How did that work out for McKinley? Did the better team win that game?

How much could the OHSAA possibly be paying for these games?

They will have virtually no gate and the revenue from the streaming doesn't go to the host, no?

I'd bet Massillon is either just going to break even hosting this game or will host them at a loss.

I think I read somewhere it was $1,200 or $1,500 per game,

And it's not like the staff has to be at full strength since the attendance is limited.

Per Game...
1,500 tickets @ $10 per = $15K
1,500 tickets @ $12 per = $18K
1,500 tickets @ $15 per = $22.5K

:>---

EGA

Last edited:
I don't know why I'm arguing with a large, out of shape goof that never played an organized sport in his life but here goes. If the stands were full, I would say there COULD be some advantage. With the dayum place empty PLEASE tell me where you think the advantage lies? Or go ask one of your friends that actually played sports. I'll wait.

So, I am curious. Were you this outraged in 2004 when McKinley played for a state title on their home field? Did you think that it gave them an advantage? How did that work out for McKinley? Did the better team win that game?
Of COURSE not. Of course, he can go back and look at all the posts to prove it. LOL.

WHY IS IT HOME FIELD? There will be 1500 people total there. I swear sometimes I think you guys have lost your dang minds.

(In Lee Corso voice) "Not so fast my friend!" There's more to home field than crowd noise. Tigers will be going into the facilities, locker rooms and surroundings they are most familiar with being in. For amped up kids, that setting will be of some help. How much? Hard to tell but to act like it has a no effect is not entirely true.

ArtisticCharmingAnkole-size_restricted.gif

Any other year there might be some type of edge, but home field advantage is negated due to numbers of attendance this season.

(In Lee Corso voice) "Not so fast my friend!" There's more to home field than crowd noise. Tigers will be going into the facilities, locker rooms and surroundings they are most familiar with being in. For amped up kids, that setting will be of some help. How much? Hard to tell but to act like it has a no effect is not entirely true.
From what I hear they will be in the visiting locker room. And I think you hurt your own argument to be honest. The kids on BOTH sides are going to be amped up out of their minds. The fact that they are playing in an empty stadium that happens to be their home field will have no bearing on this game. We're talking about freaking Akron Hoban for God's sake. Anyway, thanks for keeping it civil unlike some of the other goofs on here.

Of course it gave them an advantage. That's why the later rounds of the playoffs are played at neutral sites.
Th
I think I read somewhere it was $1,200 or $1,500 per game,

And it's not like the staff has to be at full strength since the attendance is limited.

Per Game...
1,500 tickets @ $10 per = $15K
1,500 tickets @ $12 per = $18K
1,500 tickets @ $15 per = $22.5K

:>---

EGA
After the OHSAA takes their cut, Massillon figures in the extra police officers working OT, the staff of the stadium, the utilities, the OT for the paramedics, etc. If EVERY possible seat of those 1500 are filled (which I highly doubt they will be) how much does Massillon see from this? So far as I am aware they only get $$$ from the concessions and maybe a cut of pre-sale tickets or parking.

Again, probably just a break-even or just make cost scenario for Massillon.

DEAR GOD ABOVE. FINALLY the voice of reason arrived. Thank you sir.
................Baron Von Stueben" : It's the state title game. If I played for Hoban, I wouldn't care if it got played in Moore's back yard.
Even more evidence that the Columbus and Cincy schools are whiners when the games are in Canton and Or Massillon. If they were in Cin. I would go early to see my team or my son or grandson play. Anywhere. I am sure Hoban doesn't mind.

Great for Massillon. Cow Town Columbus and The Franklin County
Commissioners CHOKED.
Crazy The County won’t let the High Schools play.
I feel bad for Obetz.
However there playing tomorrow on the Banks of the
Muddy Olentangy. Makes Sense. Hypocrites...
Thanks Massillon.
Good Luck to all Teams in the Finals.

Th

After the OHSAA takes their cut, Massillon figures in the extra police officers working OT, the staff of the stadium, the utilities, the OT for the paramedics, etc. If EVERY possible seat of those 1500 are filled (which I highly doubt they will be) how much does Massillon see from this? So far as I am aware they only get $$$ from the concessions and maybe a cut of pre-sale tickets or parking.

Again, probably just a break-even or just make cost scenario for Massillon.

Concessions and parking.

None of the schools get a cut from the ticket sales this year.

If Hoban is that good and better then everyone else like most ppl on Yappi have said, then it really shouldn’t matter. Home, Away, Neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.