Ask The Ump?

With all that said, could interference be called on the first base coach? He left the box and then returned to it in the middle of the play? Would it change the call if he was actually hit by the ball. Would it matter if the coach did it on purpose?

Case Book Play 3.2.3 SITUATION:
The third base coach is accidently hit by a thrown ball when standing in (a) the coach's box, (b) foul territory, (c) fair territory...

Ruling:
There is no penalty in (a) and (b), and the ball remains live. In (c), it is automatic interference.

Your play would be covered under "(b)" here.

Intent is the key. If, in the umpire's judgment, the coach positioned himself intentionally between F3 and home plate, then interference has occurred. The ball is dead, R1 (runner from second) is declared out and all runners return to the base last occupied at the time of interference.

If the umpire judges no intent, then the ball remains live, whether or not the throw is made and whether or not the ball touches the coach if the throw is made.

Thanks!

It was a series of events and watching the game back on video several times for me to realize that it was intentional. I would never expect an umpire to pick up on that in the split second that it happened. Just shocked that any coach out there thinks this is a good way to mentor kids.

I’m late to the party; but did the coach move before the ball came to rest? Meaning, if the ball was still rolling/bounding, it would be nearly impossible to get that for interference as how would the coach know where he will best be in position to block a throw home. If the ball comes to a stop and he moves in between it and home, im getting that all day.

And even in one man game, eyes are on that play bc ball is threatening out of play boundary so has to be watched.

I’m late to the party; but did the coach move before the ball came to rest? Meaning, if the ball was still rolling/bounding, it would be nearly impossible to get that for interference as how would the coach know where he will best be in position to block a throw home. If the ball comes to a stop and he moves in between it and home, im getting that all day.

And even in one man game, eyes are on that play bc ball is threatening out of play boundary so has to be watched.

Again, as the rule states and the case book indicates, merely being out of the coaching box and getting hit by a throw is not in and of itself interference.

The act must be judged as intentional for interference to occur.

Again, as the rule states and the case book indicates, merely being out of the coaching box and getting hit by a throw is not in and of itself interference.

The act must be judged as intentional for interference to occur.

?? I know...that’s why I said if the ball came to a stop and he moved into the path between ball and home after it stopped, but just merely being in the way by itself would be nearly impossible to deem intentional

It was a fast play. Ball did come to a stop as he walked back into the box. First base picked up the ball and was ready to fire it home but had to try to stop their motion to avoid hitting the coach.

No way would I expect the umpire to make the call. It was just something that I came to the conclusion about after watching the game on replay. Too many coincidences for one team. I also know it is one of those you had to see it plays to understand it was intentional. When the coach backs up 15 feet quickly to the fence and returns right in the line between the 1st baseman and home.

Then I got to wondering at what point it is coach's interference. Thanks to AllSports12's ruling from up above, now I know. As a first base coach, I also know now to never step into fair territory, which I may have done in the past on some awkward plays.

Baseball season is about to ramp up here soon, so I thought I would get the ball rolling. Few situational things I would like to hear back on as I will be doing NCAA games for the first time this year, and a friend of mine who is doing the same, were spitballing some situations over dinner and didn't agree on a few: (Please note, if any rulings would be different in NCAA than NFHS, please clarify that as well)

1) Runner on 1st, ground ball hit to second baseman, gets away from him into the outfield. Batter-runner sees the play right in front of him so thinks he is going to go for 2B, rounds the base and sees R1 had slid into and stopped at 2nd, so batter-runner skids to a stop, going back to first, and is obstructed by F3 who is just standing there watching the play.

Q: Is batter-runner only protected back into 1st, or does he get awarded 2nd base for the obstruction, pushing R1 to third?

F-U-Q (follow up question): Does the ruling change if there is no R1...meaning bases empty, runner rounds 1st for 2nd, changes mind, gets obstructed while scampering back to the bag by F3.

F-F-U-Q: Does the ruling change on either of these if a play is being made on batter-runner? Backthrow to 1st and he is obstructed? (other than it is an immediate dead ball instead of delayed)

2) ***This is not a rules question, it is a responsibilities question(s)***

--- NCAA rulebook says the HPU must "mud" the balls prior to games beginning. My first game of NCAA career is a plate game, so I will be responsible for that. Any tips? I have never done it, never seen it done. I don't know what to buy, how much gloss to take off the ball, what to use to do it (hands? rag?)

--- What is your advice for running a plate meeting? I have done HS, summer ball, etc. If you read what the manual says should be covered, you would think it would take 30 minutes to run the meeting. Introductions, lineup cards, ground rules, legal equipment verification...anything else? I suppose I am gearing more towards NCAA here as again, I have never run a plate meeting in NCAA. I have done some Fall ball inter-squad games this Fall, but because it was "casual", it was pretty quick. No ground rules needed as both teams were from that team, coaches know their kids and lineups, etc.

3) 2-man game....runner on 1st. Ground ball to the infield, any situation where you read there is no chance a play is being made on the runner going to 2nd base, the play will be going to 1st (maybe F4 kicks the ball to his left, towards 1B)

Q: Should HPU head towards 3rd in case R1 advances towards 3B?

I ask this because the CCA manual says yes, no umpire I have talked to agrees, but then in clinics and camps we hear our evaluations will be based on strict application of the CCA manual. At camp in michigan, we were told that if an NCAA umpire can't make a call at 1st and get into position for a play at 3rd, they shouldn't be doing NCAA games. HPU should stay home and help with pulled foot and swipe tag. (If a play at 2nd is possible, you work up towards mound to help with force-play-slide-rule, so asking specifically about a play that won't go to 2nd)

I have more but will stop for now.

Thank you

In the high school rule book, obstruction is a delayed dead ball in which the runner involved is "protected" to (at minimum) one base beyond which they have achieved at the time of the obstruction. Therefore in your example the BR is getting second period, residually R1 would then have to go to third.

I don't know the college book, as I don't do college, but the high school manual pretty much suggests the same thing as the college manual, which is that the base ump is responsible for both calls and should be able to make them from the "working area". That being said, if I'm a plate ump, I'm putting myself in a position to at minimum help out on the call at third while also being able to execute my duties at first.

Last edited:
In the high school rule book, obstruction is a delayed dead ball in which the runner involved is "protected" to one base beyond which they have achieved at the time of the obstruction. Therefore in your example the BR is getting second period, residually R1 would then have to go to third.

Did you mean to say the runner is protected a minimum of one base ?

Baseball season is about to ramp up here soon, so I thought I would get the ball rolling. Few situational things I would like to hear back on as I will be doing NCAA games for the first time this year, and a friend of mine who is doing the same, were spitballing some situations over dinner and didn't agree on a few: (Please note, if any rulings would be different in NCAA than NFHS, please clarify that as well)

1) Runner on 1st, ground ball hit to second baseman, gets away from him into the outfield. Batter-runner sees the play right in front of him so thinks he is going to go for 2B, rounds the base and sees R1 had slid into and stopped at 2nd, so batter-runner skids to a stop, going back to first, and is obstructed by F3 who is just standing there watching the play.

Q: Is batter-runner only protected back into 1st, or does he get awarded 2nd base for the obstruction, pushing R1 to third?

F-U-Q (follow up question): Does the ruling change if there is no R1...meaning bases empty, runner rounds 1st for 2nd, changes mind, gets obstructed while scampering back to the bag by F3.

F-F-U-Q: Does the ruling change on either of these if a play is being made on batter-runner? Backthrow to 1st and he is obstructed? (other than it is an immediate dead ball instead of delayed)

Bear with me as this is lengthy....

The NCAA rule regarding obstruction is different than the HS rule. There are three parts to the obstruction rule....
- Obstruction against a runner in which a play is being made
- Obstruction against a runner in which a play is not being made
- Visual Obstruction against a defensive player

Rule 8-3e - Entitled Bases
e. If obstruction by a fielder is committed:

1) Against a runner on which a play is being made;

PENALTYThe umpire shall point and call “That’s obstruction,” and call "Time." The ball is dead immediately. All runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judgment, if there had been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction. Any preceding runners, forced to advance by the award of bases as penalty for obstruction, shall advance without liability to be put out.

Examples of this first type of obstruction:
a) Runner is obstructed during a rundown.
b) Runner is obstructed as a pitcher or other fielder is making a direct throw to a base in an attempt to retire that runner.
c) Batter-runner is obstructed before reaching first base on a ground ball to an infielder.
d) Any other example where a play is being made directly on the runner at the moment the runner is obstructed.
Note 1: When a play is being made on an obstructed runner, the ball is dead immediately when the signal is given; however, should a thrown ball be in flight at the moment obstruction occurs, the runners are to be awarded such bases on wild throws as they would have been awarded had not the obstruction occurred. For example, on a play where a runner was trapped between second and third and obstructed by the third baseman going into third base while the throw is in flight from the shortstop, if such throw goes out of play the obstructed runner is to be awarded home base. Any other runners on base would also be awarded two bases from the base they last legally touched before the obstruction occurred.
Note 2: On a play at the plate or any base, the catcher or any defensive player must clearly have possession of the ball or be in the act of fielding before blocking the base with any part of the defensive player’s body. The base line belongs to the runner and the fielder should be there only when fielding a ball or when they already have the ball in their hand or glove.

2) Against a runner on which a play is NOT being made;

PENALTYThe umpire shall point and call “That’s obstruction.” Play shall proceed until no further action is possible, then call “Time” and impose such penalties, if any, as in the umpire’s judgment will nullify the act of obstruction. The crew may confer in order to determine what a reasonable award should be had obstruction not occurred.

Examples of this second type of obstruction:
a) Batter-runner is obstructed in rounding first base on a base hit while the ball is in the outfield.
b) Batter-runner is obstructed before reaching first base on a ball hit to the outfield.
c) Runner from first steals second; catcher’s throw is wild and goes into centerfield; runner is obstructed in attempting to advance to third base. Ball is loose in the outfield when obstruction occurs.
d) Runner from second is obstructed while rounding third base on a hit to the outfield.
e) Any other example where no play is being made directly on the runner at the moment that he is obstructed.

Note: If a runner is obstructed under this second section of the obstruction rule, play shall continue until its completion, even if it results in a play being made on the previously obstructed runner. If the play results in that runner being tagged out before he reaches the base he would have been awarded, the umpire shall call “Time” at the moment the runner is tagged out. The umpire shall then impose such penalties that would nullify the obstruction.

f. Visual obstruction by a defensive player may be called if a fielder interferes intentionally with a base runner’s opportunity to see the ball on a defensive play.

PENALTY for fThe umpire shall point and call “That’s obstruction.” The umpire shall let the play continue until all play has ceased, call time and award any bases that are justified in Rule 8-3-e-2. If a runner(s) advances beyond what the umpire would have granted and is put out, the runner(s) is out. The offender’s team shall be warned, and a second offense by that team shall result in the ejection of the offending player because of an unsportsmanlike act.

In short, there is no guarantee of an awarded base on a player where the runner is obstructed, but a play is not being made on that runner. (a major difference between NFHS and NCAA rules)

- If a play is being made on the runner, the runner is awarded a minimum one base past the base he last legally touched prior to the obstruction.
- If a play is not being made on the runner, there may or may not be an award..... (in most cases, there wouol be no award)

Please note that the NCAA rule also has a provision that allows a catcher or defensive player to block the base while in the process of fielding the ball. (play on the runner).. NFHS rules do not allow that.

Hope that helps..... Like I said, it is very different from NFHS Rules.

2) ***This is not a rules question, it is a responsibilities question(s)***

--- NCAA rulebook says the HPU must "mud" the balls prior to games beginning. My first game of NCAA career is a plate game, so I will be responsible for that. Any tips? I have never done it, never seen it done. I don't know what to buy, how much gloss to take off the ball, what to use to do it (hands? rag?)

Get your hands dirty.... Take two fingers and smear some on the "fat parts" of the leather.... you don't need much.... just enough to take the shine off the balls. Some places have it in their locker rooms.... In the places where your car is still your locker room..... have at it ;) .... Remember to wash your hands afterwards.

--- What is your advice for running a plate meeting? I have done HS, summer ball, etc. If you read what the manual says should be covered, you would think it would take 30 minutes to run the meeting. Introductions, lineup cards, ground rules, legal equipment verification...anything else? I suppose I am gearing more towards NCAA here as again, I have never run a plate meeting in NCAA. I have done some Fall ball inter-squad games this Fall, but because it was "casual", it was pretty quick. No ground rules needed as both teams were from that team, coaches know their kids and lineups, etc.

Short and sweet... Lineups, verify the DH's (remember this is different than in HS), ground rules... let's play.

3) 2-man game....runner on 1st. Ground ball to the infield, any situation where you read there is no chance a play is being made on the runner going to 2nd base, the play will be going to 1st (maybe F4 kicks the ball to his left, towards 1B)

Q: Should HPU head towards 3rd in case R1 advances towards 3B?

I ask this because the CCA manual says yes, no umpire I have talked to agrees, but then in clinics and camps we hear our evaluations will be based on strict application of the CCA manual. At camp in michigan, we were told that if an NCAA umpire can't make a call at 1st and get into position for a play at 3rd, they shouldn't be doing NCAA games. HPU should stay home and help with pulled foot and swipe tag. (If a play at 2nd is possible, you work up towards mound to help with force-play-slide-rule, so asking specifically about a play that won't go to 2nd)

Welcome to the wonderful world of revolving world of college mechanics....The best answer for you is to know what your assigner expects. Some conferences want U1 making all calls on the infield bases no matter what, some defer the the CCA manual.... some depend on what mood they are in ;)

No matter what mechanic is employed, in a 2 man system, there is always a hole.... if you as the PU go to 3rd for a play there and the BR is safe at first, you are responsible for retreating to the plate for any play there.... Personally I think it makes more sense to have the BU take care of it (like in NFHS) on all calls in the infield on a play like this.... I'd rather see the PU making the calls from the working area, than seeing the PU potentially making a call from in front of the plate.

AllSports, thank you for the replies. In order:

1) I am glad to hear your response as that means he is buying the next dinner ? . He actually quoted exactly what you said, a minimum one base award and added the caveat that “if we don’t award a base, there is no motivation by the defense to not obstruct bc they might get away with it (esp in solo or 2 umpire system). He was just convincing enough that I wanted to ask, but I thought the difference was whether a play was being made on them or not.

2) Thank you for the link, that is helpful. Guess I’ll start practicing here at home! And I like short and sweet. I definitely need to study, study, study, the Dh rule. It Was changed to be more like MLB but the whole P/DH, pitcher can stay as DH, DH is terminated when...lots of stuff to make sure I have down pat.

3) And thank you for the reply, but unfortunately It’s about the same as I’ve heard...each day might be different. What would you do if your assignor wants you to follow CCA but partner in pre-game says don’t do that, help me at first? Or vice versa...partner thinks you’ll be at third but assignor wants you to stay home and help. Ugh

Note: with obstruction, I said in solo which would normally never happen in college, but We got an email saying basically we need to prepare ourselves that with covid, we may be working one man less than scheduled. Since we have to be tested before each game/series, it’s possible 2 umps show and 1 can’t work the game due to a positive or inconclusive test.

AllSports, thank you for the replies. In order:

1) I am glad to hear your response as that means he is buying the next dinner ? . He actually quoted exactly what you said, a minimum one base award and added the caveat that “if we don’t award a base, there is no motivation by the defense to not obstruct bc they might get away with it (esp in solo or 2 umpire system). He was just convincing enough that I wanted to ask, but I thought the difference was whether a play was being made on them or not.

2) Thank you for the link, that is helpful. Guess I’ll start practicing here at home! And I like short and sweet. I definitely need to study, study, study, the Dh rule. It Was changed to be more like MLB but the whole P/DH, pitcher can stay as DH, DH is terminated when...lots of stuff to make sure I have down pat.

3) And thank you for the reply, but unfortunately It’s about the same as I’ve heard...each day might be different. What would you do if your assignor wants you to follow CCA but partner in pre-game says don’t do that, help me at first? Or vice versa...partner thinks you’ll be at third but assignor wants you to stay home and help. Ugh

Note: with obstruction, I said in solo which would normally never happen in college, but We got an email saying basically we need to prepare ourselves that with covid, we may be working one man less than scheduled. Since we have to be tested before each game/series, it’s possible 2 umps show and 1 can’t work the game due to a positive or inconclusive test.

1) Just to clarify...... Under NCAA rules there may or may not be bases awarded for obstruction against a runner in which there is no play being made on the.... Under NFHS rules all obstruction it met with a minimum award of one base.

2) Yes, keep boning up on the DH rule...

3) If you are the UIC for the game/day/series...... You make the call on the mechanic that the assigner wants to use.... You are going to run into an occasional "my way" guy.... When you do, work you game, adjust on the fly and contact the assigner afterwards..... Not much else you can do.

And yes.... with Covid, things could really change.... Do the best you can.... protect (focus on) the runners that mean the most for each situation..... Even with Covid, the following priorities do not change..... in order....

Ball/Strike
Fair/Foul
Catch/No Catch
Safe/Out
Runners touching bases (with lead runners the most important)

I dont know if yall covered it, but are there any points of emphasis this season that came out at the meetings?

I dont know if yall covered it, but are there any points of emphasis this season that came out at the meetings?

No new rules, POE's, or editorial changes were made for the 2021 season. All publications for the 2020 season are to be used for the 2021 season.

As a reminder, here are the 2020 POE's...

Game Ending Procedures
Player/Designated Hitter Role
Proper Pitching Positions
Force Play Slide Rule
Enforcement of NFHS Jewelry Rule
Compliance of Player’s Equipment.

Do you have a quick reference for the DH role? I recall something changing last year but without a season........

Thank you, and I hope to have a number of clarifications, as usual, this season! I think it comes from attending a lot of games, and actually paying attention to details and what is going on.

Do you have a quick reference for the DH role? I recall something changing last year but without a season........

Thank you, and I hope to have a number of clarifications, as usual, this season! I think it comes from attending a lot of games, and actually paying attention to details and what is going on.

Which is exactly why Yappi set this type of forum up.....

Keep 'em coming ! ;) Everyone learns from the questions being asked.

I can attest, I have had several games where I applied something I learned from this thread. I have probably read it front to back 3 - 4 times.

Now....if only I had told a coach "well I read on the internet that the rule says...." ?

The thing I like best is that no rule book or case book can cover every situation that covers every rule, so when goofy stuff happens, can ask and learn from it.

I can not speak if this is "new" for 2021 or not because I wasn't NCAA certified in 2020, but during the national clinic, it was said that "in 4-man games, it is no longer required that an umpire go out on all fly balls." The responsibility of who has catch/no-catch doesn't change, but no longer does someone have to go out on a "can of corn" ball.

Not sure if that is new or not, but that is the only thing I saw mentioned that might be "new"

Okay....I said I have more questions, so here goes:

1) Do you know of a good resource for umpire camps/clinics? I use the CBUA site, but none are listed for starting before the season, which is what I am looking for.

2) Mechanics Question: When you are base umpire, lets say you are U1 in a 3-man crew, so with a runner on, you are closer to the bag watching pick-offs. Where do you train your eyes to watch for balks? I try to take a "broad" view, because you need to see the whole body, but I was informed by a D1 coach who I did Fall ball games for, that pitchers are using this saavy trick of "buckling the front knee" just a flinch, just enough to make the runner think pitch, and then wheeling and throwing. He said he didn't see it called hardly at all last season, but when I honed in on that (b/c it was intersquad, he was literally telling me his own guys did it too), I realized I barely paid attention to hands and torso. When I took a "broad" perspective, that little knee flinch is almost impossible to see. Any tips on what to focus eyes on?

3) In your experience AllSports, how often does substitution errors and batting out of order errors occur at the collegiate level? I would guess it wouldn't ever happen, but at camp they said batting out of order happens frequently. I honestly can not think of a single instance in all the HS and Summer and rec ball games I have ever done where someone batted out of order. I played D-1 college, I can not fathom it. Our coach would have had our on a platter if we screwed that up somehow. My friend is worried b/c he doesn't know the out-of-order rules and corrections very well, and truthfully I could use more studying too, but seems like something that should not happen in my opinion....

1) Do you know of a good resource for umpire camps/clinics? I use the CBUA site, but none are listed for starting before the season, which is what I am looking for.
I'd reach out directly to Chris Coskey at CBUA. Covid really has things messed up.

2) Mechanics Question: When you are base umpire, lets say you are U1 in a 3-man crew, so with a runner on, you are closer to the bag watching pick-offs. Where do you train your eyes to watch for balks? I try to take a "broad" view, because you need to see the whole body, but I was informed by a D1 coach who I did Fall ball games for, that pitchers are using this saavy trick of "buckling the front knee" just a flinch, just enough to make the runner think pitch, and then wheeling and throwing. He said he didn't see it called hardly at all last season, but when I honed in on that (b/c it was intersquad, he was literally telling me his own guys did it too), I realized I barely paid attention to hands and torso. When I took a "broad" perspective, that little knee flinch is almost impossible to see. Any tips on what to focus eyes on?
Think about what the other two can see and what you can't see.....

On a righty, you can't see the hands. Your plate umpire and partner in C have a great view of those. Plate umpire sees any shoulder twitch as well as the knee. So with that, I'd be looking hips down. That gives you a better look at the knee.... Lefty, gives you a great look at the hands and your partner in the C has hips down. Plate Umpire sees everything....

Over time, that will help you develop that broad look that allows you to see everything.

Make sense?

3) In your experience AllSports, how often does substitution errors and batting out of order errors occur at the collegiate level? I would guess it wouldn't ever happen, but at camp they said batting out of order happens frequently. I honestly can not think of a single instance in all the HS and Summer and rec ball games I have ever done where someone batted out of order. I played D-1 college, I can not fathom it. Our coach would have had our on a platter if we screwed that up somehow. My friend is worried b/c he doesn't know the out-of-order rules and corrections very well, and truthfully I could use more studying too, but seems like something that should not happen in my opinion....

Haven't had a BOO in at least the last 20 years. But, as you said, since it is so rare, we must be all over it when it happens...... I always extensively review the rule and case book situations for HS... and the rule and approved rulings for NCAA before every season.....

I'd reach out directly to Chris Coskey at CBUA. Covid really has things messed up.

Think about what the other two can see and what you can't see.....

On a righty, you can't see the hands. Your plate umpire and partner in C have a great view of those. Plate umpire sees any shoulder twitch as well as the knee. So with that, I'd be looking hips down. That gives you a better look at the knee.... Lefty, gives you a great look at the hands and your partner in the C has hips down. Plate Umpire sees everything....

Over time, that will help you develop that broad look that allows you to see everything.

Make sense?

Haven't had a BOO in at least the last 20 years. But, as you said, since it is so rare, we must be all over it when it happens...... I always extensively review the rule and case book situations for HS... and the rule and approved rulings for NCAA before every season.....

Thank you, that is very helpful. I have some D-1 inter-squad games coming up the next few weekend (volunteer work), so I will work on those tips for watching the pitcher.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I have some D-1 inter-squad games coming up the next few weekend (volunteer work), so I will work on those tips for watching the pitcher.

Gotta love that "volunteer work" ;)

Bundle up..... (even then, it beats sitting around watching re-runs of baseball)

I have seen this twice over the last few years, batting out of order at the 12-14 age group.
I knew the rule, and tried to talk the coach out of bringing it up to the umpire until AFTER the at bat.
He didnt listen to me.

BUT..the umpire got the rule wrong and called the batter out on the spot.

About 5 minutes later there was grumblings from the opposing fans, started by a dad sitting next to me who heard what I was saying and looked it up and told their coaches who then started complaining.
It was too late at that time.

The other time it happened, the coaches screwed up again and didnt wait until after that at bat.

I remember the rule specifically because I looked it up after an incident in the Reds?Mets game when Jay Bruce was called out, didnt get his first at bat until like the 3-4 inning and was 0-1. Apparently the coach turned the wrong card in, but I digress.

Gotta love that "volunteer work" ;)

Bundle up..... (even then, it beats sitting around watching re-runs of baseball)

Haha, the games are indoors (field house) so there won't be any towering fly balls, but will get mechanics, rotations, and timing work in. Also, where else can a newbie get D-1 work and feedback from a D-1 coach? By doing it for free, I save them money and get the opportunity. :)

Haha, the games are indoors (field house) so there won't be any towering fly balls, but will get mechanics, rotations, and timing work in. Also, where else can a newbie get D-1 work and feedback from a D-1 coach? By doing it for free, I save them money and get the opportunity. :)
Got a local school that will allow you to come an call pitches during throwing sessions? A great way to get used to the speed and movement at this level.