College Tracks

Throwscoach

I am trying to gather Google Earth pictures of all the college/university tracks in the state. Some of these colleges I am not real familiar with what facilities they use. Two that I have questions about are Xavier and Ohio Dominican. Thank you in advance.

Xavier has no track. They bounce between Withrow and Walnut Hills high schools for practice.

Still? Certainly not because they lack the money, but maybe the WILL to have a facility & spend the money on one, or are they land-locked?

I am trying to gather Google Earth pictures of all the college/university tracks in the state. Some of these colleges I am not real familiar with what facilities they use. Two that I have questions about are Xavier and Ohio Dominican. Thank you in advance.

Be sure to check throws facilities that are located well away from the track. Ones that come to my mind immediately are: Wittenberg, Cincinnati, and Baldwin-Wallace.

Be sure to check throws facilities that are located well away from the track. Ones that come to my mind immediately are: Wittenberg, Cincinnati, and Baldwin-Wallace.
Trust me as a throws coach it is one of the things that I look at. Heidelberg's discus area is a good two blocks away from the rest of the facility. Know this because our regional's were held there a few years back. There are not many collegiate throwing facilities that can rival Ashland's current facility. Knowing what they had prior it is night and day.

You've probably searched for some type of facility at ODU longer than I have, and I came up with nothing. A track and field facility is not mentioned in the list of facilities on their athletics web page. Their archived track schedules show no home track meets for the past 7 years. Their Black and Gold intrasquad indoor meet has been held at either OWU or Otterbein in the past.

Add Youngstown St. to that list. Their throwing area is a good 5 to 6 blocks ESE of the track.

Last edited:
At Youngstown St. to that list. Their throwing area is a 5 to 6 blocks ESE of the track.
Well that's the new record by my measurement (a kilometer from the main facility). I had UC at 750 meters and Wittenberg at about 500 meters. Heidelberg's hammer and discus sector is about 300 meters from the main facility. I must be missing something at BW, because most of the throws look like they are on the old cinder track to the NE of the main track and the javelin runway is to the northwest. None of them are more than
150 meters away.

Mount Saint Joe is another one that's 500 meters from the main facility.

Trust me as a throws coach it is one of the things that I look at. Heidelberg's discus area is a good two blocks away from the rest of the facility. Know this because our regional's were held there a few years back. There are not many collegiate throwing facilities that can rival Ashland's current facility. Knowing what they had prior it is night and day.

I had forgotten about Heidelberg's as I've only been there once, and I've never been to Ashland's.

Well that's the new record by my measurement (a kilometer from the main facility). I had UC at 750 meters and Wittenberg at about 500 meters. Heidelberg's hammer and discus sector is about 300 meters from the main facility. I must be missing something at BW, because most of the throws look like they are on the old cinder track to the NE of the main track and the javelin runway is to the northwest. None of them are more than
150 meters away.

Mount Saint Joe is another one that's 500 meters from the main facility.

BW's hammer throw was WELL away from the track as I recall. Out in a public park as I recall it. Last time I was there was mid-2000s, so maybe things have changed? The shot is just outside the stadium, and the discus I think was where the Browns practice.

Well, the Google Earth image I was looking at was apparently from May 2017. There was definitely two sectors, which I assumed were discus and hammer out on the old track, northeast of the stadium and west of a baseball field. There was a shot sector and pole vault pit out there as well. Looks like there is a shot sector and the LJ/TJ runways and another pole vault pit inside the stadium to the north of the track. And the Javelin runway is to the northwest like I said.

The July 2018 image has the old track, baseball field, and javelin sectors all bulldozed. And the Sept 2019 image has new buildings going up to the northeast and a soccer field to the northwest.

All that is to say, I don't know where they are throwing now either.

BW's hammer throw was WELL away from the track as I recall. Out in a public park as I recall it. Last time I was there was mid-2000s, so maybe things have changed? The shot is just outside the stadium, and the discus I think was where the Browns practice.
Could BW use Tri C's hammer ring? I know in 2004 AG Kruger of Ashland Elite got his Olympic A standard at Tri C.

I would submit that the throws area at Welcome Stadium is far away.

Having thrown there myself, and especially having coached a few regional winners & having to run back into the stadium to coach other athletes at the same time, I fully agree with you :)

Are the shot rings still inside Welcome Stadium? One year our state runner-up thrower got to throw there for district, regional, and state meets.

I believe so. They've been in those same NE/SE corners of the stadium as long as I've known the facility since the late 70s.

Based on Google maps it looks like all throws are now by the Discus/Hammer area.

I believe you are looking at University of Dayton's facilities (39.73295328825796, -84.20366487338764) to the south of Welcome Stadium's throws areas (39.73833663699384, -84.2018511779296) to the north. The shot rings are still inside Welcome Stadium, but what has obviously changed for me is that there is only one discus ring now in Welcome Park & it's aimed into prevailing westerly winds. WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN???

I believe they actually throw across the street near the hotel at the cage that U.D. uses.
They as in the Dayton team? Yes, I drive by it several times/week. South side of Edwin C. Moses Blvd.

As for the high schoolers competing at Welcome Stadium, I see the discus ring in what looks like a very shrunken Welcome Park from when I was last there 10 years ago. Sad to see that park shrunken. The shot rings/sectors are still in Welcome Stadium.