2021 NCAA Basketball Tournament to be Played in One Location

TriangleMan

Hates Particle Man

By Myron Medcalf
ESPN Staff Writer

Due to challenges associated with the coronavirus pandemic, the entire 2021 NCAA men's basketball tournament will be played in one location, the NCAA announced Monday.

The NCAA said it is in talks with Indianapolis and the surrounding metro area to be that location.

The decision comes after NCAA officials met to consider a variety of contingency plans. The move means that 13 sites across the country will no longer host a preliminary round of the NCAA tournament.

"My committee colleagues and I did not come lightly to the difficult decision to relocate the preliminary rounds of the 2021 tournament, as we understand the disappointment 13 communities will feel to miss out on being part of March Madness next year," said Mitch Barnhart, chair of the Division I Men's Basketball Committee and University of Kentucky athletic director, in the announcement. "With the University of Kentucky slated to host first- and second-round games in March, this is something that directly impacts our school and community, so we certainly share in their regret. The committee and staff deeply appreciate the efforts of all the host institutions and conferences, and we look forward to bringing the tournament back to the impacted sites in future years."

The NCAA's announcement said that sending teams across the country could create logistical challenges while also posing a risk of spreading COVID-19. It has been clear in recent months that the NCAA would do whatever it felt necessary to host the NCAA tournament. Last year's cancellation cost the NCAA $375 million.

"We have learned so much from monitoring other successful sporting events in the last several months, and it became clear it's not feasible to manage this complex championship in so many different states with the challenges presented by the pandemic," said Dan Gavitt, NCAA senior vice president of basketball, in the announcement. "However, we are developing a solid plan to present a safe, responsible and fantastic March Madness tournament unlike any other we've experienced."

While the NCAA says it has started talks with local officials in Indianapolis, an official with the health department in Marion County, where the event could be held, said it was not aware of the NCAA's plan.

"The Marion County Public Health Department has not received any details regarding this proposed initiative announced by the NCAA, and does not have any further response at this time," Curt Brantingham, media and public information coordinator for the county's health department, said in a statement sent to ESPN.

On a Monday afternoon conference call, Gavitt said the NCAA is calling the one-city idea a "controlled environment" not a "bubble." The NBA's bubble cost the league more than $150 million. The NCAA tournament will require multiple gyms, hotels, practice facilities and other venues, Gavitt said.

Although it's not a bubble, anyone who enters will be required to stay until eliminated or deciding to exit. That means the teams that make a run to the Final Four will have to stay in one location for a month.

"It will be a very controlled environment," Gavitt said. "It'll be different; it'll be historic; and it'll be hopefully something we all treasure and experience just once, hopefully not ever again."

Gavitt said that talks with Indianapolis officials are preliminary but that there are other cities -- cities he didn't name -- the NCAA will engage if plans in Indianapolis don't materialize. An official announcement about a final location is expected to come before Jan. 1.

The field is expected to remain at 68 teams, but Gavitt added that officials will discuss the possibility of replacement teams -- if a team can't continue in the tournament because of an outbreak -- in the coming weeks.

Although Monday's development highlighted the specifics of the season's finale, questions about its start remain. Multiple coaches have expressed concerns about the upcoming season, set to commence next week on Nov. 25, as the virus spreads around the country.

On Saturday, Iona's Rick Pitino tweeted that college basketball should move to a league-only schedule and push the NCAA tournament back to May to "save the season." But Gavitt said the NCAA will maintain its Nov. 25 start and has no plans to move the tournament, either. Moving the start date of the season wouldn't alleviate any "disruption," he said.

"The plan right now is to conduct the tournament in March and April as scheduled," he said.

Last edited:

Two things jump out at me.
  1. "Although it's not a bubble, anyone who enters will be required to stay until eliminated or deciding to exit. That means the teams that make a run to the Final Four will have to stay in one location for a month."
  2. "The field is expected to remain at 68 teams, but Gavitt added that officials will discuss the possibility of replacement teams -- if a team can't continue in the tournament because of an outbreak -- in the coming weeks."
I hope in #2 they meant if a team can't start in the tournament.

Last edited:
What are they going to do, put multiple courts in the Colts stadium? Or play at a bunch of different venues around city?

What are they going to do, put multiple courts in the Colts stadium? Or play at a bunch of different venues around city?

From what I heard on Sports talk few weeks ago from a media member is that it will be multiple locations around Indianapolis and Indiana. Even said a good possibility of IU,Purdue and ND being used.

Indiana has several over 7000 high school courts with good media facilities, which it is really about I imagine. However they distribute it, there will be plenty of venues.

hadn't even thought of that. I don't think all are.

edit: found an older IHSAA rule book. Not larger than 94 by 50. So it's not mandated in Indiana they be shorter.

Last edited:
hadn't even thought of that. I don't think all are.

edit: found an older IHSAA rule book. Not larger than 94 by 50. So it's not mandated in Indiana they be shorter.

They won’t need the HS Gyms for Tournament Games. Plenty of College and Professional places in Indiana Available to them.

From what I heard on Sports talk few weeks ago from a media member is that it will be multiple locations around Indianapolis and Indiana. Even said a good possibility of IU,Purdue and ND being used.
If they’re looking at IU, Purdue, ND I would assume they’re basically considering any D1 college. Butler (the legendary Hinkle Fieldhouse) is in Indy and Muncie (Ball State) is close. IPFW isn’t that far. I can’t even remember all the D1 teams around the state. If there are no fans, they could go to Mid-Majors or even low-majors for tournament games without issue.

I genuinely think they should consider having multiple courts in the Colts stadium. I have been to one Sweet 16 in a pro stadium (STL) and I was sitting on the 20 yard line on temp seats. Without fans you could EASILY fit 10 courts on the field probably more. That’d be a wild atmosphere even without fans.

Valpo, Evansville, Indiana St, UPUI. I think that covers it. IPFW doesn't exist anymore. They had a divorce or some odd thing. It's PFW now.

The Bubble worked well during the current tourney in South Dakota this week.
There does not seem to be many college basketball fans on here nowadays, so I am sure opinions on this topic won't be much.

If they’re looking at IU, Purdue, ND I would assume they’re basically considering any D1 college. Butler (the legendary Hinkle Fieldhouse) is in Indy and Muncie (Ball State) is close. IPFW isn’t that far. I can’t even remember all the D1 teams around the state. If there are no fans, they could go to Mid-Majors or even low-majors for tournament games without issue.

I genuinely think they should consider having multiple courts in the Colts stadium. I have been to one Sweet 16 in a pro stadium (STL) and I was sitting on the 20 yard line on temp seats. Without fans you could EASILY fit 10 courts on the field probably more. That’d be a wild atmosphere even without fans.

Be like broadcasting a wrestling meet. It would be an interesting experiment but I wouldn't want to be in charge of logistics. Separate locker rooms, broadcasting teams... ultimately I wonder if it would be easier or harder? I do like the thought of the championship being held at Hinkle.

There are usually only four different host cities/arenas in use each day of the tournament. So all they need are Hinkle Fieldhouse, the Pacers arena, the Indiana State Fairgrounds arena (IUPUI plays there, it's old but actually very nice) and Lucas Oil Stadium. Have four games per day, every day at those arenas and sanitize everything between each game. Find other venues throughout the city to host practices, and you're set. Main challenge will be finding the hotel space to house 64 basketball teams, but with covid that shouldn't be as much of a problem as usual.

I hope they play the Final Four at Hinkle. Playing basketball games in a giant football stadium with no fans in attendance would be dumb.

Farmer's. That would be a fun place to see a game.

Four games per day all in Indy? It would be convenient. NCAA might go for it. Sanitation? Teams, families, local media, national media..... If it were a betting game, I'd bet abundance of caution might rule the day and they'll spread the games out.

I'd have thought finding court dimensions for the high schools would have been easier. If they are 94ft, it'd be an interesting spin.

Remember the Indianapolis area has hosted many a Super Bowl. Should be plenty of Hotel Rooms for 68 Basketball Teams&Staff, especially if zero or minimal amounts of those Rooms are needed for Fans. I think it’s the perfect State for what the NCAA is trying to do, have the Tournament this season!

I agree. It's a great location. More central than about anywhere else capable.

I don't think the problem is at the hotels. I think shuttling four sets of teams, media, fans... in and out of the arenas and convincing anyone something has been sanitized will be too big a leap for the NCAA to hold four games a day at any one site. No argument to be made when all we have to do is wait and see.

From: https://www.ncaa.org/championships/division-i-mens-basketball

ncaabb2021.JPG

32 1st round games at 6 sites on Friday/Saturday(?)
16 2nd round games at 4 sites on Sunday/Monday(?)
Sweet Sixteen on Saturday/Sunday(?)
Elite Eight on Monday/Tuesday(?)

Last edited:
FF teams as of today:

Gonzaga
Michigan
Florida St
Houston

Other teams that could make a run:
WV
Texas Tech
Iowa
Bama

FF teams as of today:

Gonzaga
Michigan
Florida St
Houston

Other teams that could make a run:
WV
Texas Tech
Iowa
Bama

OK, we all have opinions, but you can keep FSU, Houston and TTech. I'll pass. Certainly the "teams that could make a run" list is much longer and includes several other Big Ten teams (Illinois, OSU, Minnesota), UVA, Nova and Baylor. Zags seem to be the only near-lock and the field is wide open.

OK, we all have opinions, but you can keep FSU, Houston and TTech. I'll pass. Certainly the "teams that could make a run" list is much longer and includes several other Big Ten teams (Illinois, OSU, Minnesota), UVA, Nova and Baylor. Zags seem to be the only near-lock and the field is wide open.
I wanted to go against chalk, so I picked Gonzaga over Baylor bc they’ve had some tournament success and Baylor has not. I feel like I end up picking Nova all the time, so I wanted to avoid them.

Florida St is extremely balanced with a good blend of guard play and size in the front court.

Houston isn’t nearly as balanced, but they’ve got experienced Guards (particularly Jarrett) and they can score.

Texas Tech should’ve won the National Title 2 yrs ago. They don’t play a fun style of basketball, but they know how to win. Maclung transferring in from Gtown has been huge.

I wanted to go against chalk, so I picked Gonzaga over Baylor bc they’ve had some tournament success and Baylor has not. I feel like I end up picking Nova all the time, so I wanted to avoid them.

Florida St is extremely balanced with a good blend of guard play and size in the front court.

Houston isn’t nearly as balanced, but they’ve got experienced Guards (particularly Jarrett) and they can score.

Texas Tech should’ve won the National Title 2 yrs ago. They don’t play a fun style of basketball, but they know how to win. Maclung transferring in from Gtown has been huge.
I get it - lots of good teams to choose from. Those 3 are strong but just not my picks. Although with this much balance, it will all come down to matchups. Example - OSU looks strong but will struggle against teams with strong big men (like Purdue). So really until we see the brackets, who can say? Even then its a crap shoot - that's why it is so fun.

I get it - lots of good teams to choose from. Those 3 are strong but just not my picks. Although with this much balance, it will all come down to matchups. Example - OSU looks strong but will struggle against teams with strong big men (like Purdue). So really until we see the brackets, who can say? Even then its a crap shoot - that's why it is so fun.
I think there’s going to be a ton of upsets this year. There’s a good chance at 3-4 mid major teams get to the S16. Sr leadership and experience counts more this yr than ever before.

Current bracketology. Since FSU is in Gonzaga’s region, I’ll take FSU out of my FF and replace them with Iowa. I stand by my other 3 picks in Gonzaga, Houston, and Michigan. BTW, if that really was Gonzaga’s draw, they’d be getting screwed big time. Drake as 9 seed would be a nightmare for any 1 seed. Drake is currently 15-0, averaging 83 PPG, shooting over 40% from 3 as a team. They’re legitimately dangerous and could beat anyone in this tournament in a one game winner take all.

Last edited: