D VII State Championship: New Bremen (9-2) vs Warren JFK (9-2)

Who wins?

• New Bremen

Votes: 101 70.6%
  • Warren JFK

Votes: 42 29.4%

• Total voters

Seven short years ago, this New Bremen football program was on life support. The held a community meeting and were basically given 3 options.

1. Leave the MAC in the sport of Football (The league would've denied this request)

2. Leave the MAC entirely

3. Stay in the MAC for football and nothing changes.

They chose 3 but something had to have clicked in those meetings. Little by little, you saw talent coming through the Junior High ranks and they were winning ball games. They hired Chris Schmidt and all the gears finally started to turn after some small classes came through. I wish the MACOnline still had its forums up so I could post links to some of those threads. They were fun reads back in the day!

This is from 2015: Coach Schmidt's 1st season:

Fast forward 5 years and New Bremen is in the State Championship game for the first time ever! There's only one way I want to see this movie script end, with the Cardinals holding up that Gold trophy and realizing that all your dreams came true. I cant wait to watch it.

New Bremen 35
Warren JFK 21

Last edited:
New Bremen should be favored based on who they beat the last few weeks to get here. I'm not going to predict a several score win for the Cards. #9 for JFK in particular looks tough. Should be a good game. After tonight I think it will be two MAC teams against two Youngstown area teams. Flashback to 2007 with Marion Local/Coldwater vs Ursuline/Mooney.
Go Cards!
Go Cavs!

Last edited:
I love the overconfidence...

JFK 21
NB 16
No doubt JFK is good enough that any outcome is possible. Gets really interesting at this point not knowing the teams from your side of the state very well, I dont make predictions when I dont know one of the players. Good luck to both in what has been and will be known to many as "the crazy year championship ".

Just like 2016. The Mighty MAC. JFK was suppose to get killed by Minster.
NB is a great football team who has played great competition. Impressed with their lines and athletes. QB is a player. When you play the MAC you better match their intensity and physicality. That’s the question for JFK this year will this team rise up and take that challenge.
NB will be the best team JFK has faced all year. JFK plays a regular season schedule to get them ready for this moment. JFK has great respect for the MAC conference and the teams within. JFK will not back down and not be intimidated. JFK will not be out coached either. We shall find out soon enough. The most physical team wins and who handles adversity and the moment better will be victorious.

... The most physical team wins and who handles adversity and the moment better will be victorious.
I believe it could be said that NB has earned high marks in all of those areas for four straight games during a really tough playoff run.

Good luck Cardinals - avenge Minster's 2016 state title loss to JFK!

This will be the third time that Kennedy will have faced a MAC team for a State Championship. In 2006 Kennedy lost to a very good St. Henry team. The Eagles claimed the 2016 crown by defeating Minster.

Now the rubber game against justifiably favored New Bremen. Kennedy will need to play lights out to win, but this old Eagle will be watching with expectations of an upset! Let’s all hope for a clean and injury free game.

New Bremen should be favored based on who they beat the last few weeks to get here. I'm not going to predict a several score win for the Cards. #9 for JFK in particular looks tough. Should be a good game. After tonight I think it will be two MAC teams against two Youngstown area teams. Flashback to 2007 with Marion Local/Coldwater vs Ursuline/Mooney.
Go Cards!
Go Cavs!
I wonder how much the Cards will have left in the tank ? Def. Fort Loramie, Marion Local, and LCC 3 weeks in a row, very impressive. Can they play at a high level 4 weeks in a row ? For a team that has not been their done that it could be an issue, however they are a sr. laden team which should help.

I wonder how much the Cards will have left in the tank ? Def. Fort Loramie, Marion Local, and LCC 3 weeks in a row, very impressive. Can they play at a high level 4 weeks in a row ? For a team that has not been their done that it could be an issue, however they are a sr. laden team which should help.
Don't forget that the NB-St. Henry game four weeks ago was also a darn tough match for the Cardinals. The state final will be the fifth grueling game in a row for NB.

However, it seems as if they have been able to bring their A game week after week, so let's hope they can be at their best again on Nov 20 at 2 pm!

Good point, but watching the '19 Anna team(not exactly playoff experienced) just boat race a really good NM Sprinfield team makes me think that NB should be favored in this game. Then you think about who each of them played, JFK has physically wore down their last 3 opponents (Dalton, Lucas, Newark Cath). Just hard to imagine NB wearing down. Should be a great matchup

Seven short years ago, this New Bremen football program was on life support. The held a community meeting and were basically given 3 options.

1. Leave the MAC in the sport of Football (The league would've denied this request)

2. Leave the MAC entirely

3. Stay in the MAC for football and nothing changes.

They chose 3 but something had to have clicked in those meetings. Little by little, you saw talent coming through the Junior High ranks and they were winning ball games. They hired Chris Schmidt and all the gears finally started to turn after some small classes came through. I wish the MACOnline still had its forums up so I could post links to some of those threads. They were fun reads back in the day!

This is from 2015: Coach Schmidt's 1st season:

Fast forward 5 years and New Bremen is in the State Championship game for the first time ever! There's only one way I want to see this movie script end, with the Cardinals holding up that Gold trophy and realizing that all your dreams came true. I cant wait to watch it.

New Bremen 35
Warren JFK 14
anybody know coach schmidts background? by chance did he coach under Grandpa Goodwin too......:)

I believe it could be said that NB has earned high marks in all of those areas for four straight games during a really tough playoff run.

Good luck Cardinals - avenge Minster's 2016 state title loss to JFK!
and don't turn the ball over to them.......:(

just a feeling the boys from NB will "keep swinging".........

The arrogance of the MAC will be prelevant in this thread and enough to make anyone vomit.

I see a ruuuuuude awakening by 245 Friday.

The final score depends on a couple of things:
1. Sportsmanship of the JFK program. Are they a Kenton and will run it up? Or like Anna who knelt up 40 to not score?

2. JV vs JVs. When it gets to the run rule I expect JFK to do the right thing and NB will follow suit. It may go in and out of a running clock but JFK takes this one easily.

Great year for NB. For those y'all who cannot locate NB on a map, they are a suburb and little brother to Minster.

I have the right to change my opinion if JFK pulls a Pick Central and kneels for the Anthem.

This is the way.
I have spoken.

btw the 2016 JFK team was amazingly athletic for a D-VII school. If this year's JFK team is similar, it'll be a difficult road for NB, that's for sure.
JFK 2016 Defensive Unit will never be duplicated. EVER. Once in a lifetime unit. We had dogs everywhere

I think they will be fine. That was questioned against LCC also and they played very good

The arrogance of the MAC will be prelevant in this thread and enough to make anyone vomit.

I see a ruuuuuude awakening by 245 Friday.

The final score depends on a couple of things:
1. Sportsmanship of the JFK program. Are they a Kenton and will run it up? Or like Anna who knelt up 40 to not score?

2. JV vs JVs. When it gets to the run rule I expect JFK to do the right thing and NB will follow suit. It may go in and out of a running clock but JFK takes this one easily.

Great year for NB. For those y'all who cannot locate NB on a map, they are a suburb and little brother to Minster.

I have the right to change my opinion if JFK pulls a Pick Central and kneels for the Anthem.

This is the way.
I have spoken.
Thank you :)

Don’t worry JFK, the MAC doesn’t have a 6’3 230lb human battering ram like St Henry had in Andy Puthoff coming out of the lock room next week when you played them in ‘06. It’s gonna be a great game, IMO.

Don’t worry JFK, the MAC doesn’t have a 6’3 230lb human battering ram like St Henry had in Andy Puthoff coming out of the lock room next week when you played them in ‘06. It’s gonna be a great game, IMO.
Man, do I remember that game and how dominant Puthoff was on both sides of the ball. The game was in Canton at what was then called Fawcett Stadium. It was freezing cold. We had some very good athletes on our side, but Puthoff was overwhelming.

I heard he went to Ball State, but I didn’t follow him in college. Did he do well at Ball State and life in general after graduation?

Man, do I remember that game and how dominant Puthoff was on both sides of the ball. The game was in Canton at what was then called Fawcett Stadium. It was freezing cold. We had some very good athletes on our side, but Puthoff was overwhelming.

I heard he went to Ball State, but I didn’t follow him in college. Did he do well at Ball State and life in general after graduation?
He did very well at Ball State as a strong side DE for 3 years. I know he graduated but that’s all I know about him.